Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How do taxi companies get away with classifying drivers as independent contractors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The X-man cometh posted:

How do taxi companies get away with classifying drivers as independent contractors?

Medallions (where they exist) confuse things. In a lot of cases there's an argument to be made that any control the medallion owner might exercise over the taxi driver doesn't actually constitute an employer-employee relationship because the medallion owner is simply requiring that the driver follow the usage guidelines of the medallion that they're leasing. A lot of taxi drivers also have the freedom to set their own rates and otherwise operate as a business. The fact that Uber sets fares for driver is actually a pretty core part of the problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In most jurisdictions (I'm actually having trouble thinking of an exception in the West) taxi rates are set by by-law. Where are you thinking of that lets taxi drivers set their own rates? Sounds like it would be tough on tourists.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Most cab companies charge a per-day or per-month rate for using their car (or branding) and dispatch. as long as you pay them they don't give two shits if you go park in a parking lot taking no fares.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

A lot of taxi drivers also have the freedom to set their own rates and otherwise operate as a business. The fact that Uber sets fares for driver is actually a pretty core part of the problem.

I've heard this objection before but literally never seen it in any of the major cities I've taken taxis in. Quick googling indicates that NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and Seattle are all this way, for example.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If anything with time fares have become more and more restricted and automatic everywhere I've ever gone.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Paradoxish posted:

Medallions (where they exist) confuse things. In a lot of cases there's an argument to be made that any control the medallion owner might exercise over the taxi driver doesn't actually constitute an employer-employee relationship because the medallion owner is simply requiring that the driver follow the usage guidelines of the medallion that they're leasing. A lot of taxi drivers also have the freedom to set their own rates and otherwise operate as a business. The fact that Uber sets fares for driver is actually a pretty core part of the problem.

Drivers set their own hours and own th car. On the sliding scale of contractor vs enployee they seem pretty solidly in the middle to me. I find it unlikely that the line is going to be moved far enough in the US to reclassify uber drivers.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

asdf32 posted:

Drivers set their own hours and own th car. On the sliding scale of contractor vs enployee they seem pretty solidly in the middle to me. I find it unlikely that the line is going to be moved far enough in the US to reclassify uber drivers.

It isn't a sliding scale. You either are an independent contractor or you aren't. If you aren't setting your own rates, you aren't an independent contractor. End of story.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Citizen Tayne posted:

It isn't a sliding scale. You either are an independent contractor or you aren't. If you aren't setting your own rates, you aren't an independent contractor. End of story.

So what are taxi drivers? Those rates are set by by-law everywhere I know of. Does that make all those drivers suddenly employees? I think that would be surprising to the taxi companies.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
And its not just the base rates per se, uber is also doing all the surge pricing for the drivers; there's no real competition on surge prices since drivers dont have much control

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yes it is.

IRS posted:

Businesses must weigh all these factors when determining whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor. Some factors may indicate that the worker is an employee, while other factors indicate that the worker is an independent contractor. There is no “magic” or set number of factors that “makes” the worker an employee or an independent contractor, and no one factor stands alone in making this determination. Also, factors which are relevant in one situation may not be relevant in another. The keys are to look at the entire relationship, consider the degree or extent of the right to direct and control, and finally, to document each of the factors used in coming up with the determination.

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Self-Employed-or-Employee

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

blah_blah posted:

I've heard this objection before but literally never seen it in any of the major cities I've taken taxis in. Quick googling indicates that NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and Seattle are all this way, for example.

People might be thinking of black car livery/dispatch? Dunno

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The whole situation with independent contractors is broken and the laws needs to be rewritten from scratch, the way they are now it's way too easy for companies like Uber to screw over individuals. Short version is if you're a one person independent contractor, and you don't have years of experience in a skilled trade with professional licensing, you're probably getting screwed.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

They did have a good run though on convincing the world that tax fraud and employee code violations was innovative though.

That's pretty much my thought on the Alex St. John 'Recruiting Giants' BS on my Facebook. "Get an intern out of college, call them exempt, and run them at 80+ hours a week ; profit!" Too bad EA had some nasty lawsuits about misclassifying level 1 guys as exempt.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

That's pretty much my thought on the Alex St. John 'Recruiting Giants' BS on my Facebook. "Get an intern out of college, call them exempt, and run them at 80+ hours a week ; profit!" Too bad EA had some nasty lawsuits about misclassifying level 1 guys as exempt.

What I find truly baffling is that there are entire industries out there where, to have a career, "work free as an intern for two years -> maybe get a job if you're very lucky" is pretty much the standard. I feel like the programming world saw that going on and said "hey we want that too!'

Granted in the games industry and why EA got away with that so long was because so many people are just tripping over each other to get into the games industry. For every person that looked at the permanent crunch time and dismal wage compared to literally all other programming position and went "wow, gently caress this poo poo" there were twelve other people trying to get a job programming games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I find truly baffling is that there are entire industries out there where, to have a career, "work free as an intern for two years -> maybe get a job if you're very lucky" is pretty much the standard. I feel like the programming world saw that going on and said "hey we want that too!'

I have never talked to a person in a software field who had an unpaid internship. Am I just missing a huge slice of this?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

I have never talked to a person in a software field who had an unpaid internship. Am I just missing a huge slice of this?

No, that hasn't hit the software world yet from what I hear but is apparently rampant in film and TV. People with communications degrees have dismal prospects apparently and some people will work a full time job while getting wrung for hours during internships for years and never getting job offers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, that hasn't hit the software world yet from what I hear but is apparently rampant in film and TV.

Ah, ok. Yeah, common in press/magazine/fashion as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

blah_blah posted:

States and cities set the fares for taxis that pick up street hails and governments are explicitly exempt from anti-trust law, and companies following a government regulation on prices are likewise immune from prosecution despite that being very clear price fixing. Simply put it isn't illegal when the government does it or when the government tells you to do it.

A company can set the rate they charge for their services. A company can set the rate at which they pay independent contractors. But a company cannot control what an independent contractor may charge the clients of the independent contractor - that's kind of fundamentally at odds with the independent part of an independent contractor. Either those contractors are misclassified or illegal price fixing is occurring.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Subjunctive posted:

Have you talked to many gamedev folk? Besides mobile gaming usually the pay is pretty crap.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Regarding video game programmers not being paid as well as other programmers: why is this so shocking? A lot of people go into computer science because they love video games, and are willing to do anything to get into the industry. It's like nerd show business.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's not shocking, but it kind of sucks because the habit of ripping people off because of their "passion" for a field is annoying. Not really sure what the way to address that is, other than unionization/employees generally standing up for themselves. But more people going into those industries definitely depresses wages.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coolness Averted posted:

Have you talked to many gamedev folk? Besides mobile gaming usually the pay is pretty crap.

Yeah, I've worked with a number of gamedev folks, including ex-EA, and while pay in that whole industry is unpleasant, I've never heard of unpaid software internships.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Ccs posted:

It's not shocking, but it kind of sucks because the habit of ripping people off because of their "passion" for a field is annoying. Not really sure what the way to address that is, other than unionization/employees generally standing up for themselves. But more people going into those industries definitely depresses wages.

It's not exactly different than the economy as a whole and game devs do pretty well compared to most artists and musicians who are also in areas which lots of other people want to work in.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Konstantin posted:

The whole situation with independent contractors is broken and the laws needs to be rewritten from scratch, the way they are now it's way too easy for companies like Uber to screw over individuals. Short version is if you're a one person independent contractor, and you don't have years of experience in a skilled trade with professional licensing, you're probably getting screwed.
If Uber drivers earned ten times as much money as they do now, it seems unlikely we'd be talking about how screwed they are. But the actual amount of money earned isn't one of the factors used when determining if you're a contractor or an employee.

So the situation is a bit more complicated, legally.

I agree with the idea that there's a problem when uber drivers are not making enough money to cover business expenses the way they would if they were classified as employees. But that's basically the problem of the economy having too low wages for large classes of people. Walmart employees are employees, afterall, but we still think they're getting the short end of the economic stick. The solution there is economic policy much broader than employee classification.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posted in the YOSPOS thread, a really good article about the inside baseball of late-stage funding and why the money is drying up for unicorns: http://abovethecrowd.com/2016/04/21/on-the-road-to-recap/. There's a lot of quotable poo poo in there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, really good piece. There's a response piece that I found interesting as well, but I'm not finding it quickly on my phone.

The identity-destroying fear of a down round is leading people into some bad decisions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Excellent link, there.

"Rdio, I guess, made the mistake of trying to be sustainable too early,” says [early employee Wilson] Miner. “That classic startup mistake of worrying about being profitable and having a business that makes any sense before you’ve reached this astronomical growth curve. "

:commissar:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can speak to the tapping of 2nd tier funding sources e.g., sovereigns, family offices, offshore HNWI. It's a whirlwind of late-to-the-show investors wanting to get in on start-ups but who don't have the capacity to evaluate term sheets. It's going to blow up in their faces soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Excellent link, there.

"Rdio, I guess, made the mistake of trying to be sustainable too early,” says [early employee Wilson] Miner. “That classic startup mistake of worrying about being profitable and having a business that makes any sense before you’ve reached this astronomical growth curve. "

:commissar:

Wilson's right, though; Spotify outlasted Rdio with a worse product because it's easier to get backing for unsustainable growth than sustainable mini-growth. Spotify also played a little fast and loose with licensing rights and artist payments, but that's pretty much expected these days, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kobayashi posted:

Posted in the YOSPOS thread, a really good article about the inside baseball of late-stage funding and why the money is drying up for unicorns: http://abovethecrowd.com/2016/04/21/on-the-road-to-recap/. There's a lot of quotable poo poo in there.

The kerning in that website is terrible. It makes "burn" look like "bum". At least for me.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It is weird how herd-like angels and VC and equity scenes can be. That Bill Gurley article is really good.

Some new articles about Theranos

Short take on the diagnostic tech, would be better if it went a little deeper
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-rise-and-fall-of-theranos/

NYT article on Elizabeth Holmes, the board room situation, and some "after the collapse" guesses. All the company can really dangle out there is PR stuff, that that they are "adding talent" to the board, which Holmes controls, and that any outsider taking over would be akin to a predatory Shkreli scenario.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/25/business/theranoss-fate-rests-with-afounder-who-answers-only-to-herself.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Slate Money/Felix Salmon podcast also gets into Theranos etc. I haven't listened to it, yet.

https://soundcloud.com/panoply/money-the-dubious-values-edition

edit: Pretty funny that they talk poo poo about Zenefits and the guest is (essentially) an investor and starts having to get very abstract about things.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 25, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

pangstrom posted:

Short take on the diagnostic tech, would be better if it went a little deeper
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-rise-and-fall-of-theranos/
This is actually very good for people who know enough to be suspicious, but don't know exactly why what they were selling is bullshit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Looks like we're about to settle the poll in the header (paywall).

San Francisco Chronicle posted:

Potentially speeding the sale of one of Silicon Valley’s best-known companies, Yahoo announced Wednesday that it has reached a settlement with activist investor Starboard Value to give the New York hedge fund four seats on the board.

The move avoids a high-stakes proxy fight between the struggling Internet search pioneer and Starboard, its most vocal critic.

Starboard has been pushing Yahoo to oust CEO Marissa Mayer and sell its core properties, including its search business, Yahoo Mail, News, and blogging platform Tumblr. In February, the hedge fund moved to replace Yahoo’s entire board, nominating its own hand-picked candidates. As part of Wednesday’s settlement, Starboard will withdraw those nominations.

The move is a major concession for Yahoo, placing the company on the fast track to a sale.

Mayer has worked on a turnaround plan at Yahoo for the last four years and in a March interview with Charlie Rose said she “can see how Yahoo can win.” Wednesday’s announcement indicates that Yahoo will probably not revive its fortunes — at least, not as an independent business.

“It’s just an admission on Marissa Mayer’s part that the sale is really in the best interest of shareholders,” said Victor Anthony, an analyst with Axiom Capital Management.

Several analysts said Wednesday that Mayer will likely remain CEO until a sale is announced. Keeping Mayer allows Yahoo’s board, which has supported her in the face of increasingly harsh criticism, to save face.

“You are about to sell the core, anyway,” said Robert Peck, an analyst with SunTrust Robinson Humphrey. “Why fire someone? You just don’t need to.”

If Yahoo is sold and Mayer let go, research firm Equilar estimates that her severance package will be worth more than $50 million, depending on the company’s stock price at the time.

Starboard’s CEO Jeffrey Smith will serve on the board and on two committees, including the strategic review committee that will evaluate offers to buy Yahoo’s core business. Starboard’s other nominees who will serve on the board are Eddy Hartenstein, former CEO of DirecTV and of the Los Angeles Times Media Group; Richard Hill, chairman of Tessera Technologies; and Tor Braham, former global head of technology mergers and acquisitions for Deutsche Bank Securities.

Yahoo also agreed to pay Starboard up to $2 million for its “reasonable and documented out-of-pocket fees and expenses (including legal expenses),” according to a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
*wrecks a tech giant company by taking increasingly stupid decisions*

*walks away with 50 million golden parachute*

How do I become a CEO please advise.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber is going to fight to (somebody's) death to keep from classifying drivers as employees, because if they do, their "disruptive" buisiness model collapses.

If they can run out the clock on that until we have autonomous self-driving cars they'll have won. The drivers are merely a transitional step, like how Netflix's ultimate goal was streaming but had to do DVD by mail for its first few years of existence as the technology wasn't ready yet.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Has Uber's use of capital to suppress rates been mentioned here?

I thought it was pretty stark, and makes me want to regulate their asses to the ground

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-uber-won-2016-4

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pochoclo posted:

*wrecks a tech giant company by taking increasingly stupid decisions*

*walks away with 50 million golden parachute*

How do I become a CEO please advise.

First: be born to rich parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Wheany posted:

First: be born to rich parents

Second: Study symbolics, and pretend it's actually something worth studying.