Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
If only there were some kind of digital judge, that could disallow illegal plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Death Bot posted:

If only there were some kind of digital judge, that could disallow illegal plays

If mtgo wasn't a giant piece of poo poo and they weren't trying to keep it almost as expensive as paper I would play MTGO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A deck is doing something cool in standard. How could WotC let this happen

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I am tickled pink that springleaf drum dudette is an actual good card in constructed

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

netcat posted:

Wasn't it called Aristocrats because it ran Falkenrath Aristocraft and Cartel Aristocrat

Having multiple Aristocrats is the reason the name stuck (and a fine name for that version of the deck), but it was originally called The Aristocrats in large part because it often finishes the whole thing off with a Blasphemous Act.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

Played against the person who had their jaces stolen in round 3 today and I was scummed in such a way that I was at a loss and was at felt totally at fault for letting me guard down.

i am glad of it

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mastermind2004 posted:

So, should Kalitas exile an Ormendahl that died? I assume so, since they showed that happening in the feature area, I just don't quite understand the way that interaction works.

Ormendahl can't die to anything other than having his toughness reduced to 0 so it doesn't seem like it would come up unless an effect gave Ormendahl -7/-7 so that he died as a state-based action, in which case Westvale Abbey would be exiled and a zombie placed on the battlefield.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Clip Wings?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Niton posted:

Having multiple Aristocrats is the reason the name stuck (and a fine name for that version of the deck), but it was originally called The Aristocrats in large part because it often finishes the whole thing off with a Blasphemous Act.

And "Aristocrat" seems semi-codified as naming shorthand for a creature with a sacrifice effect to benefit itself, which was another core part of the strategy with Blood Artist triggers, and why it annoys me when commentators refer to Zulaport Cutthroat as "an Aristocrat ".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Played against the person who had their jaces stolen in round 3 today and I was scummed in such a way that I was at a loss and was at felt totally at fault for letting me guard down.

First off, I had a light hearted convo about him getting his poo poo stolen and I was happy that he got his 4x foil jaces back. Any day someone has video proof of your stuff getting stolen and you get them back its a good day. I mull to 5 and lose despite a languish being a 5 for 1 in one of the turns. He beats me down with manlands with me thinking "have we really gone so many turns he could have 15 lands out?". Anyway, i scoop and we go to game two.

Game two is going great and I am keeping his bant/coco threats off the board. Its the end of turn 7 for him, he plays a morph with 4 mana open and a negate in the graveyard. I untap with a avancyn and I feel good with being ahead. I play a land, (number 8) and declare attacks. He bounding krasis to tap avancyn. Something tells me now is a great time to secure the waste for 7, when I have an abbey in play and only his two lands untapped. I cast secure for 7 and uses the land to megamorph a stratis dancer. Tide swining play. He asks if I am done, moving me along, I say go and he draws.

gently caress.

I call a judge and and my now excited opponent now sees that he got away with his cheat and now its too late. He had 4 mana open for bounding krasis but only tapped 2 lands to give himself protection with stratis dancer. He knew I did notice and he seems like a veteran of these types of calls. The judge comes back and gives him a verbal warning, nothing is reversed, and now he is ahead. Next turn (now turn 10) he is activating man lands with mana to spare. I think "that is odd" and do a quick count. Sure enough, he has 11 lands in play on turn 8 with bant company. I also make a judge call and again its too late.

Having to babysit every move your opponent makes in competitive rel loving sucks. The current system rewards being a scumbag.

Sounds like the judge was shy about giving a DQ. Seems pretty straightforward what happened in the first case. Morph + Krasis = Should have 1 land untapped. How did he explain it away?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

First off, I had a light hearted convo about him getting his poo poo stolen and I was happy that he got his 4x foil jaces back. Any day someone has video proof of your stuff getting stolen and you get them back its a good day. I mull to 5 and lose despite a languish being a 5 for 1 in one of the turns. He beats me down with manlands with me thinking "have we really gone so many turns he could have 15 lands out?". Anyway, i scoop and we go to game two.

Game two is going great and I am keeping his bant/coco threats off the board. Its the end of turn 7 for him, he plays a morph with 4 mana open and a negate in the graveyard. I untap with a avancyn and I feel good with being ahead. I play a land, (number 8) and declare attacks. He bounding krasis to tap avancyn. Something tells me now is a great time to secure the waste for 7, when I have an abbey in play and only his two lands untapped. I cast secure for 7 and uses the land to megamorph a stratis dancer. Tide swining play. He asks if I am done, moving me along, I say go and he draws.

gently caress.

I call a judge and and my now excited opponent now sees that he got away with his cheat and now its too late. He had 4 mana open for bounding krasis but only tapped 2 lands to give himself protection with stratis dancer. He knew I did notice and he seems like a veteran of these types of calls. The judge comes back and gives him a verbal warning, nothing is reversed, and now he is ahead. Next turn (now turn 10) he is activating man lands with mana to spare. I think "that is odd" and do a quick count. Sure enough, he has 11 lands in play on turn 8 with bant company. I also make a judge call and again its too late.

Having to babysit every move your opponent makes in competitive rel loving sucks. The current system rewards being a scumbag.

Can't a judge look at the board, see way too many lands, and award the game loss if you give the turn by turn?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

Clip Wings?

Yeah, that's right you can sac him. Same thing, he'd be exiled.

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Angry Grimace posted:

Ormendahl can't die to anything other than having his toughness reduced to 0 so it doesn't seem like it would come up unless an effect gave Ormendahl -7/-7 so that he died as a state-based action, in which case Westvale Abbey would be exiled and a zombie placed on the battlefield.

Finkle 2x Grasp of Darknessed an Ormendahl in round 15.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Our top 8:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/top-8-decklists-2016-04-23

Zero mainboard copies of Declaration in Stone despite there being five white decks. The card is overrated. Three of them aren't even playing it out of the board.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Just looking at the decks as someone who doesn't really play Standard, that must be one of the nicest looking standard PT top 8s in a while.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How and why are fat pack rarities different form other boosters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlv6IQY1Lo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Our top 8:

Zero mainboard copies of Declaration in Stone despite there being five white decks. The card is overrated. Three of them aren't even playing it out of the board.

whoa that's a really varied top 8, like even the two esper control decks are pretty different, this is actually pretty cool

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like i didn't realize how dumb kibler's tweet was until i saw that

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

like i didn't realize how dumb kibler's tweet was until i saw that

We've got a nice varied standard coming up, and I love it to death.

Hopefully in 3 months Eldritch Moon doesn't take one of these decks and run away with it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Baron Porkface posted:

How and why are fat pack rarities different form other boosters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlv6IQY1Lo

They aren't.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is a really cool top 8 in terms of lists. Eight different decks, including one planeswalker control deck and seven decks with varying synergy angles going on.

The thing I'm most surprised about is how powerful and popular the Magmatic Insight/Tormenting Voice/Drownyard Temple/Pyromancer's Goggles engine is. It's appeared in a lot of different decks and I think it's awesome.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 23, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sickening posted:

If mtgo wasn't a giant piece of poo poo and they weren't trying to keep it almost as expensive as paper I would play MTGO.

Sorry; a good one :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Our top 8:

What are the Orbs of Warding for in the Pantheon sideboard?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Rinkles posted:

What are the Orbs of Warding for in the Pantheon sideboard?

Goggles fireballs, targeted hand disruption, etc from the hexproof part, and it makes stuff like token flooding from Secure/Hangarback/etc really bad on it's other ability.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ulvenwald Mysteries is a cool card out of the CFB deck's sideboard. Also very flavorful in a deck that involves mysterious cultist rites and human sacrifice (I think they're worshipping Nantuko Husk personally).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Baron Porkface posted:

I like how he immediately makes the jump from "booster box print runs mean you only typically get a set number of mythics per box while fat pack packs don't follow any pattern" to "fat pack packs are more likely to have a mythic" without any math to back it up.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Angry Grimace posted:

That's actually what happened as it was double-gripped.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

We've got a nice varied standard coming up, and I love it to death.

Hopefully in 3 months Eldritch Moon doesn't take one of these decks and run away with it.

I can't wait to go into my LGS after things have settled and hear complaints from the local try-hards about how this Standard sucks because it's so diverse and that means they can't meta-deck out everything.

You'll never hear them make this complaint about Modern though. Even when they get their faces caved in by a joke-y Treefolk deck that they have nothing in their entire board to deal with. :v:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

Ormendahl can die to being sacrificed as well. It's not inconceivable for a player to sacrifice their board to flip Ormendahl, only for their opponent to subsequently play a "Target player sacrifices a creature" effect.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Our top 8:

Standard hasnt looked this fun (and moderately inexpensive) in a long time.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Marshall Sutcliffe looks like a young Paul Giamatti

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Standard hasnt looked this fun (and moderately inexpensive) in a long time.

I'm going to print this out and hand it to all the people at my LGS who complained about "depowering" standard after Khans

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Finkel's writeup

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/team-pantheon-deck-tech-greenblack-seasons-past-control/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How the hell does Finkel's deck actually win? Animated lands? Nissa tokens / ultimate?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 24, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

2x Kalitas too, and ruinous path with awaken. You're just infinite looping until they die.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

How the hell does Finkel's deck actually win? Animated lands? Nissa tokens / ultimate?

Constantly recurring your threats every time they die. Have a constant supply of removal helps thanks to the petition/seasons past engine. It just grinds people into oblivion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Top 8ed states with Brad Nelson's ramp deck. Lost to the LSV Cryptolith Rite deck in the top 8...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm going to print this out and hand it to all the people at my LGS who complained about "depowering" standard after Khans
It really is amazing how much better without Siege Rhino and other overpowered 3 color cards forcing everything to be generic midrange.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm still kind of sad that Big Knucks and Surrak never got their day in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Iucounu posted:

Marshall Sutcliffe looks like a young Paul Giamatti

(turn creatures) Sideways

• Locked thread