Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I brought a Schneider Symmar-S lens which has Compur 1 markings on it but the lens board mount looks to be about 56mm, what sort of lens board mount is that? It looks like an extra ring attached to the regular mount but I can't take it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

crap nerd posted:

I brought a Schneider Symmar-S lens which has Compur 1 markings on it but the lens board mount looks to be about 56mm, what sort of lens board mount is that? It looks like an extra ring attached to the regular mount but I can't take it off.

Can you take a picture of it? Are you talking about the retaining ring, which should have notches in it? Do you have a lens wrench?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

crap nerd posted:

Is it a big ridged ring with screw holes in it?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-hyper-speed-120-for-medium-format-camera?ref=hero_thanks

Medium format positive paper "film"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got a pair of used Dianas for cheap (one is the Lomography reproduction and one is an original Diana-F in the box with the manual, strap, flash, etc.) and ran some expired film through the reproduction just as a test. I'll see if anything interesting comes out, but honestly it was just bullshitting around the house to see if I could get the thing loaded and working.

In more interesting news, Saturday is Dapper Day at Walt Disney World and I got my hands on a Brownie No. 2 that appears to be part of the pre-Great War run in almost pristine condition. Along with dressing up with my girlfriend in our turn of the century chic, I'm going to bring the Brownie along for some period-appropriate pictures! I've loaded it with some black & white Ilford ISO 100 and I'm gonna play around at the Magic Kingdom to see what we get.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ah, yes, the stuff that, while being optimized for it, does require reversal chemistry... which of course they will also sell you. I wish they wouldn't call their product "direct positive," because it's completely different than the stuff Ilford makes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

that is some extra dumb poo poo right there.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Ah, yes, the stuff that, while being optimized for it, does require reversal chemistry... which of course they will also sell you. I wish they wouldn't call their product "direct positive," because it's completely different than the stuff Ilford makes.

yeah, I cancelled my 8x10 pledge because they weren't upfront about needing additional chems.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Can you take a picture of it? Are you talking about the retaining ring, which should have notches in it? Do you have a lens wrench?

The inner notches are quite recessed in the outer ring, I don't have a lens wrench but I don't think it would fit in the outer ring anyway.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

crap nerd posted:

The inner notches are quite recessed in the outer ring, I don't have a lens wrench but I don't think it would fit in the outer ring anyway.

Get yourself a spanner wrench and unscrew the outer ring. I suspect you'll then be able to take off what does look like a board hole size adapter.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Thanks a million, I'll pick one up.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

8th-snype posted:

that is some extra dumb poo poo right there.

yeah, I cancelled my 8x10 pledge because they weren't upfront about needing additional chems.

I just thought, "why?" when I saw it was direct positives with reversal chemistry. What hell is wrong with a contact print or just shooting slides, neither of them would be less complicated and both would give you a nicer result.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What I really don't get is that they compare their product to Polaroid... but this one involves a big manual process?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Eh. I think it's kinda neat. If you already have the gear to process BW film, then it's cool to get a positive print immediately after developing without having to worry about scanning or making contact prints which can be time consuming. But you can't use regular BW chemistry and have to buy their special formula? boo.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also there's no pledge level that gets you rolls of film and the chemicals.

Also, also, I'm the guy with a medium format camera who wants passport-sized photos from it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

Also, also, I'm the guy with a medium format camera who wants passport-sized photos from it.

That's true, but also, if you've ever dug through a collection of family photos, you'd probably have noticed that a lot of them were ~6x9cm because all you could get back then were contact prints when everyone had a cheap folder or a kodak brownie. You could argue that's what they're trying to reproduce here.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

Eh. I think it's kinda neat. If you already have the gear to process BW film, then it's cool to get a positive print immediately after developing without having to worry about scanning or making contact prints which can be time consuming. But you can't use regular BW chemistry and have to buy their special formula? boo.

Yeah if it was just shoot and dev as normal then cool but if I'm gonna add a reversal step :effort:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

8th-snype posted:

Yeah if it was just shoot and dev as normal then cool but if I'm gonna add a reversal step :effort:

This. I've done reversal Black and white slides and while they looked gorgeous it was a pain the rear end. If this was just normal developing I could definetly get behind for some toying around, but extra development is just not worth the hassle...

edit:
From looking in their delevoping guide, you could just use a standard reversal developing process for black and white ... It would take a little bit of experimenting to get the times/dilutions right but it's most likely doable without proprietary chemicals.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 14, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Of course on the last shot, the loving pre-1910 Brownie gets stuck. The amount of force needed to pull out the winding key enough to let me remove the film holder tore one of the pins out of the cardboard, so I'm retiring the camera after more than 100 years of existence in virtually pristine condition because I can no longer trust the key to go into the hole in the spool.

I'm not entirely sure why it jammed up. I did find that the backing paper and the film were pretty well separate when I started manually unraveling the roll in my improvised darkroom (my bathroom with the lights turned off) and it's not holding tightly to the roll so I'm constantly afraid that it's going to undo itself even after being taped shut and ruin the shots. I very carefully put the roll in a lunchbox and zipped it up tight, and I'm going to get it developed as fast as possible to minimize any chance of accidental exposure.

Edit: Okay, I ran a test roll of expired film through and it worked. It looks like the only real problem is that the pin that tore out won't go back in the hole and stay there, so the winding key catches on the pin as it tries to turn. I'm going to see if I can glue and reinsert the pin, because I was really lucky to get a camera of this vintage in such good condition (especially one that takes 120 film so it's not expensive or labor-intensive to run) and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 18, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
tasman pano 1 by alex gard, on Flickr

hosed up the alignment and forgot to take an egg out with me but yolo, 3x 8x10 plates

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

hosed up the alignment and forgot to take an egg out with me but yolo, 3x 8x10 plates

your poo poo is dope as gently caress, seriously never stop

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

8th-snype posted:

your poo poo is dope as gently caress, seriously never stop

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Are you rotating the camera for those or using only shift?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ansel autisms posted:

Are you rotating the camera for those or using only shift?

I was rotating the camera. I forgot/neglected to tilt the camera on it's 'list'? axis to get all the llines to match up. Last time i tried and failed a triptych I did this and it wooked really well. I'm gonna that again. Was thinking of Mounting the camera on the hole closest to the lens and retracting it so the nodal point was over the tripod mount and using the lens support on the back of the camera, for less distortion. but may be overkill

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Sludge Tank posted:

Ovivore, an exhibit of albumen prints created entirely from the whites of locally foraged eggs. Hatching summer 2016.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

voodoorootbeer posted:

Ovivore, an exhibit of albumen prints created entirely from the whites of locally foraged eggs. Hatching summer 2016.

Soz if you already know this but I dip a cotton bud in the raw egg white (you can also just make an albumen solution with like 1 egg white in 1L of water and whisked to hell/filtered but I cbf) and then run that around the edge of the glass plate and then let that dry before flowing the collodion. Acts as an adhesive and stops the plates peeling around the edges like they have in that pic. Sticks like absolute poo poo to a blanket and if you want to reuse the plate cleaning it off around the edges is a nightmare. Nature's voodoo.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Hotel Salyut by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Lavra by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Pump by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Bored by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Opinions on the Mamiya RB67?? There's one locally for a very good price and I'm tired of using improvised or very old medium-format gear... It comes with the 90mm f3.8 lens and one film back. Price in dollars would be around 125. I'm VERY tempted right now and have a lot of 120 film stocked...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

Opinions on the Mamiya RB67?? There's one locally for a very good price and I'm tired of using improvised or very old medium-format gear... It comes with the 90mm f3.8 lens and one film back. Price in dollars would be around 125. I'm VERY tempted right now and have a lot of 120 film stocked...

It's rather bulky. Otherwise feels good to use.
Having separate levers for winding film and cocking shutter/mirror takes a bit getting used to.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Primo Itch posted:

It's good but heavy as fuuuuck. I think the 90mm might suffer a bit from distortion but you can always correct it in post.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh yeah, the RB67 has a ton of levers and knobs and interchangeable parts, and a bunch of potential pitfalls, so if you get one make sure to read the manual.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
With a prism on instead of the wlf my RB67 is easily 10+lbs or some poo poo

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Primo Itch posted:

Good enough for entry level, especially at that price -- you'll have something modern-ish with full controls that probably won't be decaying from age. I have a 6x7 back that I think is in the process of making GBS threads the bed so buy extras maybe? Also it's giant.

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Maria K

Maria K (3) by Andrew Yuen, on Flickr

Maria K by Andrew Yuen, on Flickr

Photos were shot on Ektar, because I couldn't find Portra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Don't shoot skin with ektar unless you're in some serious overcast conditions.

• Locked thread