Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I suppose the engine kills graphic can be made in tattoo form...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure all EJ engines that share that oiling system design spin/seize that one first because it's the one with the worst oil supply, so when things go south, it gets the short straw every time. I could be wrong.

Also, here's a song for the Gorester's bottom end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKNUfPEsB8

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Weird that I don't especially have a cause, though. The oil was changed right before the trip, and the level was fine after it seized.

Oh well. Onto the next one!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Wow the PO really screwed you on this one :woof:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I bet he sold it as 'mint condition, regularly serviced, never had any mechanical issues', the bastard.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PaintVagrant posted:

I suppose the engine kills graphic can be made in tattoo form...

Seat Safety Switch has you beat on that one; last ABAI meet we had he showed us his prison tattoos of EJ motor and 5-speed kills...dude is covered in them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
SSS is a hard motherfucker who's seen some real poo poo

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

Weird that I don't especially have a cause, though. The oil was changed right before the trip, and the level was fine after it seized.

Oh well. Onto the next one!

I bet your oil pump crapped out while giving people joyrides.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Seat Safety Switch has you beat on that one; last ABAI meet we had he showed us his prison tattoos of EJ motor and 5-speed kills...dude is covered in them.

That's the factory service manual, I'm like the guy in Memento but for torque specs.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
How do you like living with that Quonset hut Adiabatic? I'm looking into low-cost garage options and those are hella cheap to get into and have nice high ceilings to accommodate things like your lift. If you had $10k to throw together a garage today and no current garage, would you stick with the Quonset?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Adiabatic posted:

Also the irony is not lost on me that the first day I own this car it spins a rod bearing...

THE CURSE...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jared592 posted:

How do you like living with that Quonset hut Adiabatic? I'm looking into low-cost garage options and those are hella cheap to get into and have nice high ceilings to accommodate things like your lift. If you had $10k to throw together a garage today and no current garage, would you stick with the Quonset?

I love it. No issues aside from the random errant acorn scaring the poo poo out of you.

Those two little piddly A/C units in the back keep me plenty cool in the summer with a fan or two. Heat from that woodstove is great if I'm ever assed to use it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

C'mon weekend...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

C'mon weekend...

Mindfullness my friend, mindfullness. You must relax.

It wouldn't do to blow a gasket ;)

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Adiabatic posted:

I love it. No issues aside from the random errant acorn scaring the poo poo out of you.

Those two little piddly A/C units in the back keep me plenty cool in the summer with a fan or two. Heat from that woodstove is great if I'm ever assed to use it.

Cool, thanks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

C'mon weekend...

Peace be with you, brother.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Guys what if the S2000 curse and the Gorester curse somehow combine and Adibatic's weekend becomes Evil Dead 4.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I keep reading this thread thinking "SELF CONTROL"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Coredump posted:

Guys what if the S2000 curse and the Gorester curse somehow combine and Adibatic's weekend becomes Evil Dead 4.

I wonder if Bruce Campbell can swap out his chainsaw hand for a BAP BAP BAP hand?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I once considered buying a Subaru. I'm glad I didn't buy a Subaru.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

I once considered buying a Subaru. I'm glad I didn't buy a Subaru.

You'll be back.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Heads on:

Cams on:

Cam gears on:

Timing belt is also on but I didn't grab a picture.

About done connecting all the bits between the intake manifold and the engine.

Here's where the recirc usually goes:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
All these pictures make me miss the days of the subaru dealership. I worked next to the subaru master tech and every couple days he was doing head gaskets. Usually in five hours. The man was the rain man of subarus. The engine pictures are what the bay me and him shared always looked like. boxers are such a great and easily fixed motor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What are those four bolt five spoke wheels you got lying around?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a guess, but from the e30?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

It's a guess, but from the e30?

Yup

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Valve covers, intake manifold, vacuum maze on:

Timing cover and exhaust on:

Clutch and flywheel and dad and Badger:

I need the gasket between the up-pipe and header, else it'd be in the car now.

Two of the three broken fellas lookin fly on their new wheels:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm glad those dollies are useful for something, because they were woefully inadequate for the task we bought them to accomplish :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So did it end up being that rod bearing that seized it? I NEED CLOSURE. :ohdear:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm glad those dollies are useful for something, because they were woefully inadequate for the task we bought them to accomplish :v:

Yeah they work amazingly well for engine racing!

Larrymer posted:

So did it end up being that rod bearing that seized it? I NEED CLOSURE. :ohdear:

Once I get this one in and running I'll be tearing apart the old shortblock.

Jormungandr tells me every day the Gorester is down is a slight upon the names of my ancestors. That sounds pretty serious so I'm gonna prioritize that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Jormungandr tells me every day the Gorester is down is a slight upon the names of my ancestors. That sounds pretty serious so I'm gonna prioritize that.

That vise has a loving mouth on it, I tell you what.

I thought they were supposed to have soft jaws.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That vise has a loving mouth on it, I tell you what.

I thought they were supposed to have soft jaws.

But sharp teeth. (for pipe).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good news: THE GORESTER RUNS

Bad news: It shot a steady 6' stream of oil at TerribleRobot like the loving exorcist. I put a head gasket on backwards.

:negative:

Goal tomorrow: Engine out, head gasket replaced, motor closed back up.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'm extremely jealous of your barn and lift.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Aftermath:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Spot the oil passage:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like the gorester rejected your sacrificial offering.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ahahahahaha.

Don't worry, I managed to put the LH head on the RH side of the block and I was about to mount the other one when it clicked that the timing gears would have to go on the flywheel side :doh:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
lmao that was awesome, I was standing about where the jack is in that picture of the oil on the floor btw. I think it has chosen me as its first victim :ohdear:

Had a fun time tho, and, most importantly, IT LIVES :unsmigghh:

Winner