Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I believe so, but it was also in a very indeterminate point in history

He's also like Kalameet in that he's basically half-dead when we fight him, real dragons must be scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cyberventurer posted:

What do you do when you're up against 2 or 3 people who are up your rear end so hard that you just don't have the stamina to keep dodging and running to get enough space to even do anything? Eventually I run out of stamina and I seem to get chain-stunned until I'm dead. I just spent a ~2 minute battle where I got maybe 5 attacks in because I was too busy trying to avoid someone's attack that was already coming at me.

Step 1: Don't be a bitch invader
Step 2: Get loving good
Step 3: Make them come to you

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Im bummed out that My 1k+ got deleted cause I was an idiot and didnt protect it

I saw, and voted up, your wish i had a woman one, friend.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is the Old Demon King bugged for phantoms or have I stumbled on a snuff club

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

Unless that's the glitch, where you don't get transported?

Correct. I've stood by the fog door and watched as the host's health starts dropping numerous times, never being teleported in nor being able to step through the fog gate.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

He's also like Kalameet in that he's basically half-dead when we fight him, real dragons must be scary

Yeah, the timeline is weird because we know real dragons still existed in the era of Kalameet, which was when Manus was destroyed, and we know a fragment of Manus was the priestess of the Sunken Kingdom of Sinh so it had to be after that, but we don't necessarily know if that point in time was pre or post DS1 because Manus died thousands of years before that

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
The survival of the dragons becomes a lot less inexplicable when you consider the identity of the Nameless King and his relation with them. He prevented his father from executing a total genocide and was likely responsible for keeping the way of the dragon alive, if obscure. Even without his help, some dragons survived anyway, like Kalameet, who was just like terrifyingly strong, or Sinh, who lived peacefully with humanity until some jerk with a pointy rock stabbed him while he was asleep.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I read that if you tell Patches where Greirat is and you don't buy the Catarina set off of him Greirat actually does survive, which seems to imply Patches uses the armor to save the little idiot.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Can someone tell me real quick where the shortcut elevator leads to just before the Twin Princes? I died to them and now I can't find the lift and I don't wanna run through the entire long gauntlet of enemies again. :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

The survival of the dragons becomes a lot less inexplicable when you consider the identity of the Nameless King and his relation with them. He prevented his father from executing a total genocide and was likely responsible for keeping the way of the dragon alive, if obscure. Even without his help, some dragons survived anyway, like Kalameet, who was just like terrifyingly strong, or Sinh, who lived peacefully with humanity until some jerk with a pointy rock stabbed him while he was asleep.

The thing with Kalameet and Sinh though is that they still could have arguably existed before the end of the Dragon Genocide. Gough, Artorias, and Kieran are still alive and doing their thing when we see Kalameet.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of lore, I am still trying to piece together the lore of the Dragons in DSIII. The dragons in DSII were fakes, that much is clear. But I do not quite get if the dragons in DSIII are "real" dragons or not. I know Ocerios was experimenting with Dragon hybrids, but that seemed to be more from Seath remains than anything else.

Like, one of the reasons I immediately assumed the armor belonged to Ornstein is because the four knights of Gwyn killed all the dragons. There are no dragons after Ornstein and Gough were done with them. I always saw, lorewise, Dragonslayer as a term that never went beyond Gwyn's knights.
The Ancient Dragon was a prop (though an extremely dangerous one) and the Guardian Dragon was technically some sort of drake offshoot*, but Sinh at least was a real dragon. If you're concerned about things matching up with bits of lore from DS1, keep in mind that nothing says that all the dragons were wiped out - just that "the dragons were no more" and there were "no dragons to hunt". All this definitively means that the dragons were very much not a fighting force any more, but statements like those leave a fair bit of leeway for a handful of remaining dragons to either hide (Stone Dragon in DS1's Ash Lake) or to sleep buried by a city (Sinh in Shulva).

*I'm guessing all the "dragons" flying around the Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine are actually wyverns/drakes, since they share the same general model as the Guardian Dragon and Hellkite Wyrm. But then again, who in Drangleic has seen the real thing?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Daynab posted:

Can someone tell me real quick where the shortcut elevator leads to just before the Twin Princes? I died to them and now I can't find the lift and I don't wanna run through the entire long gauntlet of enemies again. :(

That stairwell just before the Dragonslayer Armor across the pathway from the Sunbro shrine

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Calaveron posted:

So I read that if you tell Patches where Greirat is and you don't buy the Catarina set off of him Greirat actually does survive, which seems to imply Patches uses the armor to save the little idiot.

Patches is always a dick in every game but he gets oddly fond of anyone who survives him being a murderous dick.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Step 1: Don't be a bitch invader
Step 2: Get loving good
Step 3: Make them come to you

Come on, that's not necessary. :(

I don't LIKE rolling around like a hamster in a ball, but sometimes it's either that or failing to trade a hit when doing ANYTHING. Force spell, melee, estus, I can't even follow up with the rare parry.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW, do we ever get some good lore about what exactly the curse of the Profaned Capital was, and what the hell are those things in the Irithyll Dungeon are that look like Patches the Spider

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Any spooky scary skeletoness that Irithyl Dungeon had evaporated after the tediousness of slowly baiting seven jailers to come get you, one at a time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

Come on, that's not necessary. :(

I don't LIKE rolling around like a hamster in a ball, but sometimes it's either that or failing to trade a hit when doing ANYTHING. Force spell, melee, estus, I can't even follow up with the rare parry.

No step 3 was serious. Make them come to you. Hostiles don't attack you, and if they want to progress they will have to test their patience against yours. Fall back into the enemy horde and get in guerrilla shots while they are dealing with the enemies. Try to drain the phantom's estus while preserving your own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's resin buff are people using in pvp most?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have found it fun to just stand behind a mob of powerful enemies and just browse something on my phone or whatever while the Three Stooges run around in circles trying to bait me out to them.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That stairwell just before the Dragonslayer Armor across the pathway from the Sunbro shrine

Oh, thank you!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Dragonriders of Drangleic probably rode Drakes or Wyverns and were just called that because it sounds better. I imagine the same would be the case for whatever Lothric Knight the Dragonslayer Armor once belonged to.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Man divine pillars of light is so :hellyeah:

Doubly so if you manage to land it on someone. I wanna try camo-sneakattacking someone with it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oceiros is a loving teleporting scumbag bitch in coop.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, do we ever get some good lore about what exactly the curse of the Profaned Capital was, and what the hell are those things in the Irithyll Dungeon are that look like Patches the Spider

they kind of have the body of the goat men from the forest (specifically the little stubs on their backs) but then they have creepy heads.

Irithyll Dungeon is basically a horror version of Sid's room from Toy Story 1.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

The Dragonriders of Drangleic probably rode Drakes or Wyverns and were just called that because it sounds better. I imagine the same would be the case for whatever Lothric Knight the Dragonslayer Armor once belonged to.

I would think that, but the lightning is what makes me think otherwise. Drakes and Wyverns are particularly weak to lightning as much as dragons are. Lightning is an actual dragonslayer tactic.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seems like its linked to Eleum Loyce.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

One thing I've noticed in this game that I didn't really feel in the other games is that you need to swing at people before they're actually in range. In DkS2 I felt like I had to actually hit their model, but here I am swinging at an imaginary model that exists two steps ahead of where they are on my screen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wagrid posted:

Seems like its linked to Eleum Loyce.

More detail?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Any spooky scary skeletoness that Irithyl Dungeon had evaporated after the tediousness of slowly baiting seven jailers to come get you, one at a time.

Yeah, woof. Great atmosphere that's killed almost immediately by the actual gameplay. Once I figured out that it was just Jailers, Hollow Cages, and nonthreatening Weird Babies to fight, the only thing I stayed alert for were more unneeded jump scares.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think I'm done with this game until the weapons are rebalanced. I don't want to do another playthrough with a 1h sword or axe. Looking forward to checking it out again in a little while. I think a ton of weapons need more than just some damage number tweaks to be worthwhile though which has me a bit worried.

I started up another DS2 run yesterday. It is shockingly slow compared to 3, even more so than I remembered. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

In DS3 I did a whole lot of rushing at enemies and mashing r1 to kill them before they could do anything, because they are easily stunlocked by quick weapons and are too dangerous to get into a protracted fight with. DS2 is a much more deliberately paced sort of deal where I'm trying to bait out enemy attacks and either space them out or dodge them, then go in for the kill during their clear recovery period. Your own recovery frames and estus chugging are also crazy slow even though I've been pumping adaptability nonstop, so I'm fairly cautious about committing to those animations. Can't rollspam anywhere near as much as I could in 3 either, so I'm much more measured in my use of that as well. I think it's a nice change of pace.

I like having a ton of viable weapons to build towards and look forward to, and I like that I can beeline towards them and even use bonfire ascetics to get some special poo poo that I want. Rushed through No man's Wharf right off the bat to finally try out the Greatsword that everybody loves so much, and I'm planning on doing Huntsman's Copse soon because I want to give the Chariot Lance a shot. I like that I've actually been putting points into vitality so that I can use armor that has a meaningful effect on my character. Game has more color than the drab palette of Dark Souls 3 and Majula is so much more inviting than Firelink Shrine. I've always really dug the seaside atmosphere to the first few areas.

The lighting is so loving bad by comparison though, and hitting enemies isn't anywhere near as satisfying. You really smack em around in 3 and it feels great. 3's bosses are generally a lot better too. Even the least impressive boss in DS3 has been more interesting than any that I've re-fought on this DS2 playthrough so far (although 2 does have some cool stuff later). Another thing that I really appreciate about 3 in retrospect is how little platforming it has. All but one of my DS2 deaths so far have been to falling and I am not a huge fan of that.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 24, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The jailers in DSIII do not piss me off nearly as much as the frenzy things from BB

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
DS2 has really horrible fullbright lighting, 2002-MMO-era textures, and sparse small boxy areas that honestly turn me off it bigly. I hope they fix up some of the mechanics stuff in DS3 since it's otherwise a vastly more visually appealing game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vermain posted:

Yeah, woof. Great atmosphere that's killed almost immediately by the actual gameplay. Once I figured out that it was just Jailers, Hollow Cages, and nonthreatening Weird Babies to fight, the only thing I stayed alert for were more unneeded jump scares.

Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but neither DS, DS2, BB or DS3 have managed to match the absolute (relative) terror and desolation Tower of Latria managed to inspire on me.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

argondamn posted:

One thing I've noticed in this game that I didn't really feel in the other games is that you need to swing at people before they're actually in range. In DkS2 I felt like I had to actually hit their model, but here I am swinging at an imaginary model that exists two steps ahead of where they are on my screen.

yeah it's awesome swinging into the air and then suddenly the other guy takes like 500 damage and youre just like 'aight cool'
and then you roll away from an attack and it hits you from 2 roll distances away and you start mashing roll harder because suddenly ranges don't matter or make sense anymore

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CasualMaleXL posted:

So Dark Souls social networking- what are some of the more popular messages you've left?

My most popular message is "I did it and then visions of master" in the Road of Sacrifices and I honestly have no idea where I left it or what it's even referring to, but it has over 100 votes.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered what I assume are glitches in boss fights. The first is in the final boss: he'd often go into his catalyst form, cast homing soul whatever, then switch to another weapon. Except the homing spell would keep recasting itself for the rest of that first phase of the fight, making all his other movesets more dangerous.

The second one I thought was a feature until people started talking about how terrible Siegward was in the Yhorm fight. When I brought him in there, neither of us could take damage from the boss. I know I tanked a bunch a hits without my HP budging. He ate a bunch of damage, too, and made it through the fight just fine.

As a little bonus glitch, I also got summoned for Pontiff alongside the NPC phantom once and the NPC proceeded to corner the boss, which made the boss jump through the wall and die to the killbox at 3/4 HP.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Brannock posted:

DS2 has really horrible fullbright lighting, 2002-MMO-era textures

I have no idea why Scholar of the First Sin didn't reintroduce the lighting from the beta

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I assume you are joking because that would be the most tedious thing in the entire game. His attack patterns aren't even complex, if would just be boring

Don't dis it till you try it. It's boring if you hack his legs or something. If you go for his vulnerable points then it's like the tree fight on speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like someone should have told From that the whole "mimic" thing doesn't really work if you don't have any chests that AREN'T mimics.