Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Crushdown boss down and championed. The only trouble I had was trying to push it and having one of the 3 targetted guys squeeze in one more attack before he changed and getting punished for it.

edit: Zurai, thank you for the guide, made it extremely easy.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
0/11 on the Lucky Draw. Got some 4*s out of it, but nothing really useful to me synergy-wise unfortunately.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Another Nightmare notch in the belt. Nightmare Shift was way more useful than I figured to get close to the Atk cap, and Shout RW got me the rest of the way. Agrias was the workhorse in the middle, raining down Saint Cross on the boss, while Zell, Sephiroth, and Edgar worked around the fight mechanic. My best skills not named Saint Cross were two R5 Double Cuts, an R3 Dismissal, and R3 Punishing Palm (which I only used because Zell used up all of the Dismissal charges). Tyro, meanwhile, was left to his own devices with Curaja and Protectga.

It took 4 S/Ls to finally get the timing down on when Dynast-King's Curse (the aura) switched up. The failed runs, I ended up taking Nightmare Gravities to the face and then the jerk would get in the killing blow promptly. You need to damage him quickly (each Curse period lasts about 4 turns, and there are four auras used before he goes :fuckoff:), but the most important part is timing when he switches Curse targets. If you mess up, you are definitely eating a Gravity, and his timer decreases faster.

Combo posted:

Seconding this, made it easier to wrap my head around the mechanics. Thanks, Zurai!

Edited to clarify a point, since I'm a tired idiot again.

FeralWraith fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 24, 2016

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dr Pepper posted:

:woop:

This Ultimate is cleared! The first "full" 140 Difficulty Ultimate I've managed to do!

With Protect, SG, Full Break, Power Breakdown, and Cleansing Strike Rufus' damage was kept to sane levels. Even Mako Cannon did only 500-600. Draw Fire on Agrias not only kept damage under control, but also fueled near constant Cleansing Strikes. Tifa used Lifesiphion to fuel my Boostga, and Eiko gave a Medica and Hastega. Barret did the Breaks and with Hammer Blow reduced the Dogs defense to fulfill that Mastery condition. Cloud... Cloud did damage and clicked Blade Beam every few turns.
I'm starting to think the real meta strategy from FFT wasn't Shout, it's Cleansing Strike.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So someone's been compiling the Nightmare quotes for this dungeon like they did the last one. Highlights include Beatrix declaring that an enormous monster wall is no match for her, Edgar's lamenting that his death would disappoint the world's women, and Tidus not getting to say a drat thing. Poor Tidus.

Wow, that is an amazing result.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Pander posted:

I'm starting to think the real meta strategy from FFT wasn't Shout, it's Cleansing Strike.

Cleansing Strike does some serious work on every single fight I bring Agrias to, which has been basically all of them since FFT. Had her on my Crushdown team as well.

I think when Overwatch beta closes up and I have nothing to do for a month I'm going to play through FFT again.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.
I pulled 0/11, though I did manage to draw seven 4* relics that I was able to combine into decent gear.

Lumen
Oct 12, 2009
Took down Demon wall on my first shot, and barely mastered it to boot :toot:

Things got really dicey when I had Lightning fire off a drain strike while was she was outside the attacking zone...right after Gilgamesh's SSB took out both arms. 3 of my characters went from chilling at max HP to almost dead because of that.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Got Tidus SSB from the lucky draw. 3 attacks and that's it? Seems pretty meh. Is it worth trying out?

I also got Thor hammer. Don't see a spot for him in my regular team unless I give Tyro the boot.

Will be good for synergy at least, better than 0/11

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
What is nightmare shift? From what I see, each boss has a distinct relm synergy bonus. Am I missing something?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The biggest battle against Demon Wall was fighting the slowdown. How ridiculously unoptimized is this game that an S6 chugs with nothing else open?

Thanks Zurai for the guide!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Erdricks posted:

What is nightmare shift? From what I see, each boss has a distinct relm synergy bonus. Am I missing something?

From what I can tell, Nightmare Shift is for the Nightmare fight that unlocks once you've beaten the other four bosses. The four bosses leading up to the Nightmare fight have regular synergy, as you saw, but the Nightmare boss has Nightmare Shift for every hero which meets the dungeon's requirements, which is Combat 5* for the Crushdown realm.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The basis is this:
Characters with *5 in whatever skill is will get the same boost as if they had realm synergy. In addition, anything they equip while under nightmare shift ALSO gets a synergy boost, regardless of realm.

Basically, you bring people that match the realm, and equip them with the highest level weaps and armor you have. Level 30/30 5*++ weaps/armor are absurdly powerful in there.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Pander posted:

Shout is still useful as an RW, but a stackable ATK/MAG down on a great character is something that's better to own rather then RW. A lot of characters have weaker but AoE versions, but the only one that also causes 50% reduction is with Mog, that does no damage, Cait Sith (AoE but less damage) and Fang.

I'll probably get to the Nightmare proper after double greens end, then finishing up Vincent, then the Nightmare then Basch. Then I'm back to just story dungeons and events.

cirus posted:

The biggest battle against Demon Wall was fighting the slowdown. How ridiculously unoptimized is this game that an S6 chugs with nothing else open?

Thanks Zurai for the guide!

I'm actually confused about this too. I got a new phone and while all the simple animations are smoother then my old Note 2, they're only smoother if they actually load. Zack's Apocalypse lags like crazy. And it's only Record Keeper too. Everything else runs better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

Finally someone else sees the light

I got an OWA from the Lucky Draw, which is something useful-ish I suppose.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 24, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Explicitly, it's the Android version of FFRK that is optimized like poo poo, and I'm not entirely sure why. Sure, iOS FFRK has its problems, but I've got a 5s and not a single slowdown problem in sight. I get the feeling that the iPhone version was designed first, and then the Droid version is actually a lovely port.

Evil Fluffy posted:

He also mentioned using a skill we didn't have at the time awhile back IIRC.

Storm Dragon, the Mt. Zozo boss in FF6 realm. It mentions using "Life's Touch", which is one of the skills from the SaGa event.

The SaGa Event that we've never once gotten skills from and probably never will.

Life's Touch is still mentioned, in shiny bold text.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cleansing Strike is really good and I love having it, but... I really wish I had some sort of Hastega so I could stick to only RWing Wall when I really need it. As of right now I really don't know what to bring to Rufus. But I'm sure I'll be fine with Tailwind + Eiko's Flames of Rebirth anyway. At least that's what I always tell myself before I start struggling. Haha.

I do have an Android and yeah I always noticed the slowdown but I didn't really care either way, since it never really stopped me from playing the game decently okay. I have a Galaxy S3, for reference.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Pulled, got Ras and Partisan. I already have a Ras, and Edgars got his drill already but I guess I shouldn't whine, 6* gun for the Basch event isnt terrible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Went into the Nightmare event against Phantom Train because why not, did 5k damage with a Firaga Strike, and...it barely took off any of the life bar. Yeah, not gonna be able to beat this. Maybe I can finally get a Soul of a Hero next Nightmare event. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Demon Wall was an interesting DPS challenge. I can see how a lot of people would have problems with it but as long as you have good damage skills and at least two characters with SSBs/BSBs you should have more than enough time. Wall can cut down on the damage a little but it's really not necessary, feel free to RW Shout if you're lacking both because Protectga alone via Beatrix had gotten the damage down to a manageable 1000ish.

As for the Lucky Draw: OWA was my only 5*. :toot: I'm a little irritated that I keep getting FF7 synergy when I have more than enough, and Shadow Flare is definitely an eight month old SB, but can't complain.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was doubting the banner until I saw some pulls in here. Dropped money for gems to do it when I saw some of the fantastic results. Got Trueblade of Legend for Bartz so goodbye forever (until I need aoe) Cloud! Easiest MC2 Lode decision I'll ever make. Got a glove for Josef that will help with my nonexistant II synergy.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 24, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Went 0/11 on the lucky draw, but I got some 4* stuff I could combine at least. Some of the rest of you got insane pulls on this, holy poo poo. Hope the gacha treats me better on Monday.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

Demon Wall was an interesting DPS challenge. I can see how a lot of people would have problems with it but as long as you have good damage skills and at least two characters with SSBs/BSBs you should have more than enough time.

My only physical SSBs are Agrias' which will presumably result in the arms countering to seriously reduce ability uses, and Shadow's- and Shadow doesn't have Combat 5 so he'd be getting no synergy bonuses. For normal physical SBs, I think Lightning's Blaze Rush and Fang's SB I just pulled are out because of random targetting meaning more arm counters (also I think Fang's is technically flagged as a dragoon skill and won't work). So all I've really got left is Zack's Rush Assault and Bartz' Lupine Barrage, the latter of which does not play nice with Shout. Hmm, too bad this combat lucky draw didn't pay off a bit better for me.

Well, maybe R3 Saint Cross will carry me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I finally got 5* drops from a lucky banner! Sabin's Kaiser Knuckles and Galuf's Hammer. I have both of Galuf's relics now. :confuoot:

I'm now 2/44 or 2/55 on lucky banners. Also got to make a Crystal Bangle++ for more FF7 absurdity and a Wizard Armlet+ for FFX stuff.

Beasteh posted:

Yoshiyuki and Excalibur (V) hahahaha gently caress me!!!

You bastard.

Arcon posted:

Ahah I had just joked about getting the Fusion Sword so I could use Cloud again outside of FF7 content a couple days ago

:dogbutton:

Tae posted:

I don't have any of these characters :( Please don't tell me Sepiroth, Bartz, or Sabin are special event characters.

You can get heroes from the hall of rites.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I got a Cutting Edge from my pull. Is that any good? Squall has kinda weird skills, but if nothing else, I definitely needed more VIII synergy.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i got galufs hammer and snows coat from the lucky draw. some of you guys did really well on it.
tried the final boss once and i wish the tomb buff had a visable effect as i have a habit of not looking at my guys when im speed tapping commands and i ended up attacking with the wrong guys.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Hawkeye posted:

Got Tidus SSB from the lucky draw. 3 attacks and that's it? Seems pretty meh. Is it worth trying out?

I also got Thor hammer. Don't see a spot for him in my regular team unless I give Tyro the boot.

Will be good for synergy at least, better than 0/11

When it dropped, Jecht Shot was one of just 7 SSBs... and it was probably the worst one besides Last Judgement Grimoire. At that time it didn't suffer TOO much, not that many people ran Planet Protector RWs and the three hits on Jecht Shot are strong enough that just good synergy can get each hit very close to 9999 without any boostga at all which was definitely worth something. Now though, Shout RWs flow like wine so an SSB that can't possibly do more than 30k is pretty weak.

That said, any SSB is better than no SSB, and while Tidus is pretty bad, Lifesiphon access and Celerity 5 is enough skillset to keep him viable if he's your only SSB period. Otherwise he's a pretty easy bench option, although I'll probably be bringing him out of retirement for the combat nightmare here.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got an Air Knife and a Brave Blade out of the lucky draw, which puts my 5 synergy in the absolutely disgusting range. Brave Blade+, Icebrand+, Air Knife, and a Genji Blade. I'm petty sure 5 is my best realm synergy wise.

I ended up beating Demon Wall one turn before Nightmare Crushdown. The only real issue I had was when people's soul breaks would be ready but unable to use them. My first attempt I didn't have Cloud in the middle so he was just sitting on his BSB.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011
Only got one 5* but it was SG! :toot:

Yay! Shout, SG, and Miracle Prayer gives me a trinity!

I suppose what I need to do is drop Zell from my party and go with the following generally:

Tyro-Fill skills - SG
Agrias- Saint's Cross, Life Siphon - Hallowed Bolt
Leon - Banishing Strike, fill - HotE
Vanille - Curaga, other magic - Miracle Prayer
Razma - Full Break, fill - Shout

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Got a Giants Glove (II), Shear Trigger (VIII), Kaiser Knuckle (V), and Mythgraven Blade (IV). The first two are dupes, but it still fills out my synergy nicely.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Won't complain because I got one relic out of the lucky draw. That one? Cloud's Hard Edge.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
3 5*s, Sephiroth's Masamune (so another 5* Katana for Gilgamesh and Auron to toss around if they're in FF7), Kain's Blood Lance (YES A SECOND 5* FF4 WEAPON), and Steiner's Defender (more FF9 synergy is always nice). Not bad at all, although given how weak they are compared to modern day stuff they may as well have been generic equipment.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

My only physical SSBs are Agrias' which will presumably result in the arms countering to seriously reduce ability uses, and Shadow's- and Shadow doesn't have Combat 5 so he'd be getting no synergy bonuses. For normal physical SBs, I think Lightning's Blaze Rush and Fang's SB I just pulled are out because of random targetting meaning more arm counters (also I think Fang's is technically flagged as a dragoon skill and won't work). So all I've really got left is Zack's Rush Assault and Bartz' Lupine Barrage, the latter of which does not play nice with Shout. Hmm, too bad this combat lucky draw didn't pay off a bit better for me.

Well, maybe R3 Saint Cross will carry me.

SBs can't be countered, traditionally. Slap Agrias in the middle and give her Lifesiphon and (assumedly) Saint Cross, pair up Lupine Barrage with Steal Power if you're worried about its buff (since I think it's just a self-boost instead of a boostga?) and Lightning should be just fine.

Your biggest problem will be rushing down the first phase before Gravija, I think.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Combo posted:

Crushdown boss down and championed. The only trouble I had was trying to push it and having one of the 3 targetted guys squeeze in one more attack before he changed and getting punished for it.

Happy to help :)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Managed to scrounge enough mythril for this instead of throwing it into FF7's hole. My 2nd Drill. Masamune hella outclassed now and I have crazy good FF7 synergy already. Tyrfing good though, happy about that and worth 25 mythril for synergy alone.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Decide to try a YOLO strat with a Shout RW. Tyro's Protectga and Agrias having Draw Fire as my only mitigation.

It worked. :toot:

It helped that I had Sephiroth, Cloud, and Agrias blasting away with their SSBs. :v:

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 24, 2016

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

SBs can't be countered, traditionally. Slap Agrias in the middle and give her Lifesiphon and (assumedly) Saint Cross, pair up Lupine Barrage with Steal Power if you're worried about its buff (since I think it's just a self-boost instead of a boostga?) and Lightning should be just fine.

Your biggest problem will be rushing down the first phase before Gravija, I think.

Yeah if you don't have much in the way of SSBs rushing him down before the Gravija may be a problem for sure.

I have Lightning's SSB and gave her Dr. Mog's just to ensure I could push him into phase 2 easily.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
1/11, Tidus' Brotherhood. Welp, at least that's my first natural 5* sword for that realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Demon Wall down without too much hassle. Guess I should figure out what setup I want to use for Hojo.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Won't complain because I got one relic out of the lucky draw. That one? Cloud's Hard Edge.
At least that might be useful for synergy! Depending on what else you have. I got Sentinel's Grimoire which I had already. Can't complain too much because I got Vincent's cape and Yuffie's headband in 7 pulls on Vincent 2.

• Locked thread