Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

So I guess the new Star Ocean is only 20 hours long? That's disappointing.

Star Ocean 3 was like 80 boring hours so that sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

speaking of the new star ocean, what is the worst video game outfit

ffta2.jpg

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

square enix is gonna go far in this race

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

lol what the gently caress is that

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Celine from Star Ocean 2

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think Celine might have a wizard STD.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like Tetsuya Nomura's Batman would win if it counted. I've never been fond of Samus' Zero suit, but in the world of video games it at least looks like functional clothing. I guess I'd go with Lightning's weird outfit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Everyone in FFX's clothes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
hey wow Bully is really good. It's creative and a neat twist on open-world sandbox stuff. The school aesthetic is appealing and there's a sense of style and weight to it that I like. It helps too that every mission gives me some new abilities, transportation options, or just cool new gadgets to use; I feel like I'm constantly becoming more capable with every job I complete, and the time-management system makes it stressful in a fun way to try and finish missions quickly so I can hurry to chemistry class and keep up my good grades.

I failed shop class though, gently caress rotating the stick minigames, that poo poo is broken.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone in FFX's clothes.

you talkin poo poo about auron's outfit???

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked Bully, there's a lot of ways you can gently caress up a game about being a highschool kid (too precious, too malicious, etc) and for the most part it does a good job of hitting the right notes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

sounds great for me. i am burned out as gently caress on jrpgs

tell me next that you only fight required fights and there's no level check boss that you need to grind to beat please.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

They should've just gone full Gungrave. No half measures.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

my life is a lie

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Good to have a pair of those belts hanging in the back for mounting not one but two adult diapers.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Auron is fine. This guy ain't. His paunch always makes me chuckle though.

Motto mentioned it but here's Luso from FFTA2 going full retard

And lastly these roided up doofuses

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Motto posted:

Books based on or spun off from videogames are bad, but there are good ones about videogames.

I liked the Myst books a lot as a kid, and I believe they were all written by the series' creators also. I wonder how well they've held up now, probably not a whole lot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DmFUU1Ino

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Celine from Star Ocean 2

She should get that rash on her thigh checked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

He looks like an anime nerd's idea of what a ronin looks like.

I really liked Bully, there's a lot of ways you can gently caress up a game about being a highschool kid (too precious, too malicious, etc) and for the most part it does a good job of hitting the right notes

Most satisfying combat in a Rockstar game, too.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

hey wow Bully is really good. It's creative and a neat twist on open-world sandbox stuff. The school aesthetic is appealing and there's a sense of style and weight to it that I like. It helps too that every mission gives me some new abilities, transportation options, or just cool new gadgets to use; I feel like I'm constantly becoming more capable with every job I complete, and the time-management system makes it stressful in a fun way to try and finish missions quickly so I can hurry to chemistry class and keep up my good grades.

I failed shop class though, gently caress rotating the stick minigames, that poo poo is broken.

It's one of the few open world games that doesn't get lost up its own butt about having the BIGGEST loving OPEN WORLD EVER!! At the time that seemed like a bad thing since open worlds hadn't gotten obnoxiously big yet, but it's pleasant in retrospect.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I liked the Myst books a lot as a kid, and I believe they were all written by the series' creators also. I wonder how well they've held up now, probably not a whole lot.

Same.

I also liked Piers Anthony though so I clearly had awful taste and couldn't be trusted.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm pretty excited for the new alpha. Apparently they had to re-do a lot of physics, part of the point of that was to make railings work like in that gif instead of just making you bump away from them. The new physics are now in internal testing, which means there's a new alpha coming to backers soon.

I need this game yesterday.

edit: look at that discrete drift mode:

https://twitter.com/DelkoDuck/status/722202683424313345

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 24, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jordan7hm posted:

Same.

I also liked Piers Anthony though so I clearly had awful taste and couldn't be trusted.

Did you sometimes put your hand on the inside panels of books and hope you could link into them? Asking for a friend here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

From my understanding that's the running from point to point time without doing much of anything that is typically done in jrpgs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish more JRPGs were 20-30 hours instead of padding the game with pointless bullshit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bravely Second is just one loving rollercoaster ride of emotions in its first act. I have to say, it's handled its demo quite brilliantly, perhaps too brilliantly; the prequel-style of the demo actually allowed me to get really attached to a certain core group of characters, which makes a lot of what happens in the first chapter much more meaningful. I wonder if I'd enjoy it nearly as much if I hadn't played the demo beforehand. It's hard to say; good voice acting also helps in this regard.

These games have always been way darker than their cutesy art styles really suggest. Everything in this sequel is about ten times more anime than the previous game. It's like it was Final Fantasy 5 for the first game, now it's Final Fantasy X-2. They even brought back a main character from the first game and gave them an outfit with more exposed skin. Lookin' like a dork, Tiz.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Most satisfying combat in a Rockstar game, too.

You spelled The Warriors wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Andrast posted:

I wish more JRPGs were 20-30 hours instead of padding the game with pointless bullshit.

that's why i never got into the final fantasy stuff.(that and the combat) even the good ones. it just felt like mindless grinding for mindless grindings sake. Say what you will about bethesda plethora of issues, that least the grinding is fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You don't need to grind in good RPG's.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can't even think of a mainline FF game you need to grind in. I mean if you hate random encounters entirely that's fair, but I mean like sitting in one place to gain some levels so you can progress.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, the FF games are actually pretty quick and grinding-free, at least from 6 onward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

You don't need to grind in good RPG's.

most rpgs you still need to fight random battles when they happen though and now a days i get bored of them and use repels or just run until i hit a level check near the end and call it a day.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Say what you will about bethesda plethora of issues, that least the grinding is fun.
I don't know about that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

US 4 is easy enough you don't need to grind as well, there's a few sticky spots but generally speaking if you ever have issues the solution is probably either 1) Buy rods 2) Buy throwing weapons 3) Jump

I guess I could see needing to grind a little in 5 if you chose classes really poorly, but it's a really super easy game other than a few spots.

Palpek posted:

I don't know about that.

You can't even really grind in Bethesda games because everything is 100% scaled to your level. Grinding is, in fact, counter productive in Oblivion.

Unless you're talking about the never leveling up style of grinding, but yikes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I hope Wario Ware gets more games. I love that series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

He looks like an anime nerd's idea of what a ronin looks like.

idk man he's basically just yojimbo with a brighter outfit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I hope Wario Ware gets more games. I love that series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAVDNrfiNA

Jimmy T Forever

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
okay "coup de gravy" becomes funnier the more I hear it this game has a very good translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GET DOWN

• Locked thread