Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright, I wouldn't mind learning jungle. I haven't put any serious time into Smite probably since before Season 1, and it was never that serious, is there any reading or watching I could do to catch up on jungling other than the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

cyclonic posted:

Guardians can't carry Conquest games except for maybe Ares if he gets a steamroll going on.

Your best bet to carry a game is probably playing a jungler since you can save whichever lane is losing. The only problem is if all lanes are lost - then there's pretty much nothing you can do.

I would argue Athena goes a long way to help in that regard due to her global presence. I've Athena-ed enough to turn plenty of 2v1 ganks against a weak lane into a double kill for the gankee.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Orv posted:

Alright, I wouldn't mind learning jungle. I haven't put any serious time into Smite probably since before Season 1, and it was never that serious, is there any reading or watching I could do to catch up on jungling other than the OP?

Don't jungle if you're solo queing, jungle sucks this season so far and its one of the first roles that gets blamed if a game starts going bad. Plus you need full map awareness and knowing where to be and when, but if you're a masochist go for it. Jungle can be fun, but like I said... it just sucks this season.

If you're looking for a role to carry from play solo lane, where you get the most gold/xp on the team. Literally pick anyone, I had a lot of success with Anubis because it throws off the staple warrior build people mindlessly follow (Boots, BP of Valor).

Just make sure you ward so you know when you're getting ganked, and you don't have to slap box/fight the enemy solo laner... just focus on minions and getting farmed (it may seem lame but they might get bored and tower dive you).

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Shab posted:

I have no idea what this latest drama is about, but dmbrandon's quitting casting: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soj5d3

edit: Found the video in question, not for the faint of heart or those who would rather not watch a vile, compassionless rant by an actual narcissist
he's been a piece of poo poo for a long time, but hi-rez would never fire him. good.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
To an extent you can try to carry with Bacchus and Sobek. Both of them have nice enough damage with peel in their kits, but obviously they don't have global presence among others.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Relin posted:

he's been a piece of poo poo for a long time, but hi-rez would never fire him. good.

My theory is that this was the straw that broke the camel's back and they gave him the choice of being fired or resigning on his own terms. I have absolutely no evidence for that, it just gives me some satisfaction to think they finally came to their senses.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 21, 2016

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Hirezstew made a tweet about taking mental illness seriously and donating.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Orv posted:

Watch pro streamers:
https://www.twitch.tv/theadapting
https://www.twitch.tv/andinster1
https://www.twitch.tv/suntouch

DeathSandwich posted:

I would argue Athena goes a long way to help in that regard due to her global presence. I've Athena-ed enough to turn plenty of 2v1 ganks against a weak lane into a double kill for the gankee.

Agreed, Athena would be a good pick as well.

Although I still think supports can't carry a game. You can only set up and peel so much - if your teammates don't follow-through or get killed anyways (or worse - you try to save someone and they caused you to both get killed) there's not much else you can do.

Ares on the other hand can just outright kill people on his own.

coca bojangles posted:

Don't jungle if you're solo queing, jungle sucks this season so far and its one of the first roles that gets blamed if a game starts going bad. Plus you need full map awareness and knowing where to be and when, but if you're a masochist go for it. Jungle can be fun, but like I said... it just sucks this season.

If you're looking for a role to carry from play solo lane, where you get the most gold/xp on the team. Literally pick anyone, I had a lot of success with Anubis because it throws off the staple warrior build people mindlessly follow (Boots, BP of Valor).

Just make sure you ward so you know when you're getting ganked, and you don't have to slap box/fight the enemy solo laner... just focus on minions and getting farmed (it may seem lame but they might get bored and tower dive you).

Jungle is supposed to be getting changes soon :shrug: might as well try to pick it up now.

My argument is that for

Orv posted:

not necessarily carry idiots but at least make up for them
is best suited for junglers because they can help any lane. Solo lane definitely is a huge impact (especially since jungle farm is screwy right now), but they're not making up for bad teammates as much as a jungler can.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

cyclonic posted:

My argument is that for

Orv posted:

not necessarily carry idiots but at least make up for them
is best suited for junglers because they can help any lane. Solo lane definitely is a huge impact (especially since jungle farm is screwy right now), but they're not making up for bad teammates as much as a jungler can.

Yeah the jungler can help sometimes but can also go down with the rest of the team, and it's a lot of pressure. It's definitely a role worth learning, it's just hard.

I just suggested solo lane because you get free farm and can decide when you can/want to be there for your team. It's the most "chill" role and ironically has a large impact on the game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Ugh gently caress these unstable servers. I'm super happy that I keep getting kicked out of the game after the game ends before going to lobby and not getting my K/A points given to me.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

I've been playing with goons so much that whenever I solo queue I get punished hard for it. My teammates have 1500-1700 smiteguru score and the enemy team is premades full of 2100+

I wonder if the matchmaking puts you at an elevated elo/MMR if you tend to group up more. If so, I'm hosed for solo queues forever which seems to be the case.

edit-
On a positive note:
https://twitter.com/scottgandhi/status/723306404702904320

I have PS4 and recently linked my account to get that PS4 Odin skin. If there's enough goons interested I can try to proxy organize the clan there.

(I'm not switching over to PS4 though - if someone else wants to step up to organize console goons you're more than welcome)

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 22, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I tried a few times on my xbone but controller+30 FPS (or even less most of the time) I cannot cope with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm experiencing a similar thing. I'm sat at around 2380 casual elo nowadays due to grouping up with my buddies and whenever I solo Queue my teammates are loving atrocious. They won't follow up on peels or can't peel themselves, the healers don't heal (ra putting his healing ring on loving minions, christ), assassins charging into a group of five before we've engaged and blaming the team for dying, etc.

It's gotten bad enough that i've said i'm just going to exclusively play with friends, which is fine as i've got enough who play.

Although four of us queued with a Russian Hel with 910 elo, who claimed that every team they were on never attacked, didn't understand the concept of peeling and spent half the match sat in base telling us we were poo poo. When we lost that match we were only five tickets behind and it was the goddamn hel that died half a second before I won the game (was in the process of killing hun batz who had already used his escape), so the friends tactic is not bulletproof. In other news, that match I realised that I am still absolutely fantastic as mercury, which is nice as i've not played him in a few months.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 22, 2016

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

dogstile posted:

assassins charging into a group of five before we've engaged and blaming the team for dying

dogstile posted:

assassins charging into a group of five before we've engaged and blaming the team for dying

dogstile posted:

This and saving a teammate while playing Geb only to have them use the six seconds of fleeting life I have bought them to turn around and dive back in are the fonts of my rage

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Pimp Drakula posted:

This and saving a teammate while playing Geb only to have them use the six seconds of fleeting life I have bought them to turn around and dive back in are the fonts of my rage

Yeah I was just about to mention that. Always something like OK good he should be fine now, wait why are you going back in, you're one hit from death please stop!

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

I tried a few times on my xbone but controller+30 FPS (or even less most of the time) I cannot cope with.

It's 60fps optional this patch, mandatory next patch. And I dont think theres enough goons for a clan to matter. Some friends and I are gonna make one, although I've gotten 2 cod goons to play with me!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

beaner69 posted:

It's 60fps optional this patch, mandatory next patch.

Whoah :stare: I had no idea they were working on that, that's awesome.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:(

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Man that's brutal but I know that feeling. Just the "Why the gently caress can't I win?"

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Been there :(

However:

:clint:

Never had such a streak yet.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused

Pimp Drakula posted:

You know, every single time someone mentions something like this, this comes to my mind.

And trust me that I often feel this way myself.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctX3_Rm6wo

This is literal proof that the HiRez balance team has no idea what they are doing.

"Let's buff Nox dash so people are rewarded to use it aggressively" translates into "let's turn this into the potentially most hardest hitting ability in the game."

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

cyclonic posted:

This is literal proof that the HiRez balance team has no idea what they are doing.

"Let's buff Nox dash so people are rewarded to use it aggressively" translates into "let's turn this into the potentially most hardest hitting ability in the game."

HiRez posted:

The scaling on the ability was increased from 40% to 90%

:stonkhat:

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
They already said its not gonna be that strong.
https://mobile.twitter.com/HirezScott/status/723599911376310273

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

cyclonic posted:

gently caress really? That's insane

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

beaner69 posted:

They already said its not gonna be that strong.

Yeah I saw that too, but the fact that HiRez thought 180% scaling on a mage was acceptable is beyond me.

edit-
*non-ultimate ability

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 23, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

cyclonic posted:

Yeah I saw that too, but the fact that HiRez thought 180% scaling on a mage was acceptable is beyond me.

I think their thought process is that it would be difficult to pull off, so doing it successfully should be rewarded. However, with it doing that much damage, people will find ways to pull it off every single time. You'd get players building whole comps around it, potentially.

Okay tbh you'd really just need an Odin.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Can I get some Ares tips? I like to try out gods in Arena first, and in all three games I've played with him, I've been the least effective member of the team. When I play against an Ares, he feels invincible. When I play with him, he feels made of paper.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

cyclonic posted:

edit-
*non-ultimate ability

*an escape ability

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

kaujot posted:

Can I get some Ares tips? I like to try out gods in Arena first, and in all three games I've played with him, I've been the least effective member of the team. When I play against an Ares, he feels invincible. When I play with him, he feels made of paper.

I have a diamond ares, just stand around and shoot chains when people annoy your team. Then blink in when you force a stale mate. If your not mic'ed say attack middle lane before you blink ult

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

max CDR, blink ult win games

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

kaujot posted:

Watch this video for tips and tricks on Ares. It's a little outdated so don't follow the item builds; the tips on his skills are still correct though.

Get good at landing chains and keeping track of when people's immunities are off cooldown. You don't need to be a CDR-blink-ult bot if you can land chains.

My gimmick Arena kill build:
Pen boots, Urchin, Mystical Mail, Spear, Void Stone. Gem of Iso if you want to be super trolly, otherwise use that last item slot as a counter-building item (Pestilence, Winged Blade, Spirit Robe). Mid-late game you can basically kill any mage/assassin and some hunters (if you counter-build with items like Nemean) any time you engage on them.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Anybody have any tips on how Nu Wa's soldiers work? The rest of her isn't hard at all, but I can't seem to get them to behave for the life of me. Sometimes it seems like they run for the nearest enemy, sometimes it seems they prefer gods, sometimes it seems like they just sort of go off and charge at ???.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
I think they basically path like lane minions but prefer gods over minions. They are stupid as gently caress and the best way to confirm their damage is to get pretty much in melee range and use them. Hirez should really really make them less stupid as a small buff and quality of life change. But then you would see more of one of the stupidest ults in the game so I kind of hope they don't.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Shameless plug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaGM4iEU3aM&t=1139s
I get in, and anticipate a Sobek pluck and/or Loki coming in so I aegis just in time.

That whole game was a pretty good run. The only time I thought I messed up was when a Scylla showed up out of nowhere and I decide not to bead/aegis out because I thought I could survive it. Spoiler: I don't. Stupid Soul Reaver proc :argh:

I think I'll get Hun Batz to diamond after I'm done with Ne Zha. I remember when smitestuff was still around, he was one of the lowest diamond skins floating around - for some reason people don't play him too much?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's probably because he's harder to play than most assassins, he relies on big powerful hits and getting out/teammates to stun outside of his ult. A lot of other assassins don't have to rely on that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

So I dunno how many others follow the pro scene, but retired player/new caster Allied was diagnosed with cancer a couple weeks ago, and yesterday a bunch of Hirez guys and players held a 24 hour stream for him and raised over $32,000. With that and his gofundme they're over $50k total.

I just think that's pretty cool. People poo poo on moba communities a lot but I think the smite one ain't bad.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Trying to find ranked games on ps4 is terrible.

I'm in an 8 minute queue right now. :negative:

ed: Queue popped at 10 minutes :wtf:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 24, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

So I dunno how many others follow the pro scene, but retired player/new caster Allied was diagnosed with cancer a couple weeks ago, and yesterday a bunch of Hirez guys and players held a 24 hour stream for him and raised over $32,000. With that and his gofundme they're over $50k total.

I just think that's pretty cool. People poo poo on moba communities a lot but I think the smite one ain't bad.

Allied is a pretty good guy. Hopefully he can beat this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awaken Mustakrakish
Jul 23, 2005

Hey, dont be sad little girl. One day your gonna grow up and your gonna be big. Oh wait never mind, sorry.
Looking for an invite to the clan. OpieKT is the in game name.

• Locked thread