Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Firgof posted:

You could also do that by uninstalling Steam or just have Steam not running when you launch/play the game.

I'd treat that software with a great deal of suspicion and run a virus check just in case. You've already launched it so if there was anything malicious on it, it's already on your machine.

No need to worry, but I appreciate it! Hopefully you guys can come up with a solution. I really wanted to try the expansion out and give you my :10bux: and hopefully scratch the itch till Stellaris comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sedisp posted:

That would kinda defeat the purpose of preventing last minute swipes.

The current system means you can still swipe it up but you run the risk of spending excess influence.

Well presumably the amount of support you'd need in the last second to "snipe" the zeitgeist would be way higher then the amount of support you could realistically have available and basically the sooner you played your support the close the race would be. That's how it works now, you just don't see it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

deathbagel posted:

No need to worry, but I appreciate it! Hopefully you guys can come up with a solution. I really wanted to try the expansion out and give you my :10bux: and hopefully scratch the itch till Stellaris comes out.

Honestly, if you run "cracked" software that could be causing your issue. Such software is not going to care if it blows away some Windows DLL the game needs to run. Unless you really know what you're doing, consider flattening your OS, wiping your disk, and starting over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firgof posted:

You're welcome of course. Good luck!

So who's found some Secret Projects in their games? I saw the Flare Bomb posted earlier - but there's a lot of 'em in there.

I've found flare bomb, Spire (cool, but not game changing) and Colossus Hull (haven't had enough money to actually use it :v:)

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Someone convince me to get this on sale despite having already preordered Stellaris, having no free time, and a sizable backlog. I've been on the fence for days and can't commit either way.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Honestly, if you run "cracked" software that could be causing your issue. Such software is not going to care if it blows away some Windows DLL the game needs to run. Unless you really know what you're doing, consider flattening your OS, wiping your disk, and starting over.

I don't typically, however I do know what I am doing. I did in this one instance to see if it was Steam causing issues. I have 0 problems with the other 89 games that I own on Steam and the few that I own outside of Steam as well, including WoT and WoS which I have been playing unenthusiastically while I wait to see if there is a way that I can play this game, which is what I really want to be playing. Thank you for jumping to conclusions about my integrity however.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Palleon posted:

Someone convince me to get this on sale despite having already preordered Stellaris, having no free time, and a sizable backlog. I've been on the fence for days and can't commit either way.

It's cheap, it's cool, it's different from stellaris and probably every other space 4x unless you played the original. Even if you don't like it it's a thing worth playing. Because there's nothing else quite like it. It's like the gaming equivalent of reading a serious book.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Have you not even put up a post on /r/games about the expansion yet?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Andrew put one up. It was immediately auto-hidden by the subreddit's spam detector I guess. Just up and vanished - no points, no comments. You could still nav to it, but it was hidden from the subreddit.

If someone else wants to put up a post there, feel free. I'll upvote it and participate. As it stands, I imagine if I put a post up it'd suffer the same fate.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

deathbagel posted:

I don't typically, however I do know what I am doing. I did in this one instance to see if it was Steam causing issues. I have 0 problems with the other 89 games that I own on Steam and the few that I own outside of Steam as well, including WoT and WoS which I have been playing unenthusiastically while I wait to see if there is a way that I can play this game, which is what I really want to be playing. Thank you for jumping to conclusions about my integrity however.

No need to climb onto a cross. I didn't impugn your integrity: I just gave qualified advice based on limited information. I'm glad you know what you're doing, though keep in mind what Firgof wrote: there is no cracked version of SR2 (or SR1): they run without DRM.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Firgof posted:

Andrew put one up. It was immediately auto-hidden by the subreddit's spam detector I guess. Just up and vanished - no points, no comments. You could still nav to it, but it was hidden from the subreddit.

If someone else wants to put up a post there, feel free. I'll upvote it and participate. As it stands, I imagine if I put a post up it'd suffer the same fate.

Aw jeez. I'm almost willing to write a post up, but I haven't familiarized myself with all that's new in the expansion. Can you link a good spot to crib that from? Are there any screenshots or videos in particular to show off?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
No video footage, I'm afraid. Didn't have time to put a trailer together.

You can grab most of the info off our DLC's storepage but it doesn't go into everything: http://store.steampowered.com/app/460420/
What it doesn't mention are things like the graphics upgrades we've made to ships, planets, stars, and the fullscreen shaders and more specific information like that the new subsystems include things like hulls.

We don't mention the new Influence victory, the Senate Leader, or the two new events (Open Election and Expedition - which generates a new system nearest to whoever has the most support). There's also a new Zeitgeist - and we changed a lot of the old ones for balance.

There were also some performance upgrades, tweaks to how the game saves/loads stuff (so stuff like your preferences for the sidebar should be saved into your savegame now)

The ship designer's random generator was improved and we added a means to replace subsystems with a click with other subsystems for your convenience.

The new AI was built from the ground up and is much more competent - but it's included with the base game so it's not really an 'expansion' feature.

Here's some shots for you to pick from. I tossed these over to GOG a day or so ago. http://imgur.com/gallery/y1Cva/

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So, poking about on the official forums, I found someone with the same problem I have, and one of the suggestions given was to launch in 32 bit mode. That seems to make the game run fine for me finally! I would love to know how to fix it so that I can run in 64 bit mode, but at least I can finally play!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

What's the url of that big cool space battle video?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

lazorexplosion posted:

What's the url of that big cool space battle video?

The effects stress test? Right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChMEMQxQLw

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I wrote this, if you want to preview it for accuracy before I post it

Star Ruler 2 is a very well made, extremely innovative space 4x game that's really flown under the radar due to being an indie product of a two person dev team that doesn't really know how to do publicity. It just released an expansion today. Here's why I really like Star Ruler 2 and think it and the expansion is worth checking out:

[Massive space battles](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChMEMQxQLw), as you build up you can have fleets with of thousands of ships and capital ships the size of planets.
Ships take subsystem damage in real time, depending on where shots actually hit. Attack a ship that's heavily armored at the front from the side and watch your weapons chew through the unprotected flanks.
In depth ship designer; place tons of different weapon types, engine types, ftl subsystems, a big bunch of different utility subsystems, place subsytem modifiers that change subsystem performance, make your captial ships carriers or destroyers or a mix of both, choose between multiple armor types, where to place the armor, how think to make the armor and all kinds of cool stuff. Or use designs the game gives you or randomly creates for you. Save designs for use in multiple games, share designs on the internet, download other people's designs.
A sandbox to test ship designs by placing whatever fleets you want and pitting them against each other.
Innovative economy where planets have resources, you import resources to planets to develop them, which can unlock other resources, which can then further develop planets. This means supply lines matter, and attacking at the right place can make a huge difference. It keeps micromanagement under control even for big empires because you tend to have a few hugely developed planets that you micromanage a lot and a lot of planets that feed resources to the core worlds.
Earn influence and use it to buy diplomatic actions, and spend diplomatic actions to get votes passed to help yourself and hinder your enemies.
Races with unique mechanics.
Late game techs to blow up entire planets, or put huge engines on planets and drive them around!

The expansion adds a massive slew of new races, ship weapons and subsystems, technologies, race attitudes, a horde mode, graphics improvements, AI improvements, balance improvements and is generally packed with stuff.

[Steam Link](http://store.steampowered.com/app/282590/)
[Pics!](http://imgur.com/gallery/y1Cva/)

It's also cheap; the base game is $25 base and is on sale for $17 right now, and the expansion is $10.

The devs are also really nice and might turn up and answer questions.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yeah, looks good. Though it's a 3 person dev team.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Ok it's up in https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/new/.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

And I put a typo in the title :negative:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
You bring great shame on your family.
Great shame.

Also have an upvote.

"1 comment" (click to open thread) (no comments)
Why.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 24, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Firgof posted:

You bring great shame on your family.
Great shame.

Also have an upvote.

"1 comment" (click to open thread) (no comments)
Why.

I gather /r/games has an automoderator that automatically hides too short top level replies to force people to make at least a semblance of effort.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Well, I've given that thread all I can. Hopefully it'll catch a few eyeballs and moderators won't remove my comment.
Appreciate the signal boost, lazorexplosion!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Well, we're at the bottom of the front page at least.

Is this the worst possible time to be trying this, it's good for me, I'm Australian, but I hope I'm not keeping you out of bed or something.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 24, 2016

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Oh, it's only 10 PM right now. I'll probably be up at least another two hours.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The expansion really improved the AI a lot. I'm going to have to re-balance my strategy. I'm playing on Hard with no AI Cheats and it seems like certain AIs get different personalities, not sure if it's consistent with their race or what, but it's interesting have an AI player declare war for rational reasons and then simultaneously force planet annexes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Does anyone know if it's possible for an Ancient race to properly use scalable resources? I found one and settled it in a test game but I don't think I can take it past level 1.

The Ancients are just so... weird. The new Attitudes system seems cool, but so many bonuses or conditions it can grant you seem to block them from either unlocking them, or benefitting from them. Which isn't necessarily a problem if they make up for it in other ways, but I'm wanting to play with as many new mechanics at once as possible.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Happy to support ya'll by snapping the expansion up as soon as it released but it looks like I may need to hold off on playing for abit. I'm getting constant CTDs, 2 games in a row now I've gotten to a point where I'm guaranteed a CTD seconds after my latest save game. I've already tried a cache verification and complete re-download the game but no luck. Never had problems pre-expansion.

I can't really tell yet but if you did improve the AI I'd give that high billing on the features, as someone who really doesn't have the uninterruptable time for multiplayer improving the AI was the number 1 thing on my wishlist, aside from expanding the modules available which you also did.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ok, got a possible bug report, trying to build a core on a tier 3 exotic matter world as Ancient and it says it will take 15000000 minutes or something like that to finish, finishing a tier 2 in the same system works as expected. I can settle a tier 3 Corinium world in a different system as normal.

Fake edit: I also have systems named both Bae and Queer in my galaxy, I'm guessing they're procgen but boy howdy

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 24, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, it's there any point to upgrading my capital instead of, say, a random 3 Resource planet?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

So, it's there any point to upgrading my capital instead of, say, a random 3 Resource planet?

Like, from the beginning? As far as I can tell, no, they're equal. Obviously scalables have a point but generic resource planets? No idea.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
The expansion is a lot of fun and brings a lot of neat things, I like the attitudes and even discovered my first secret research project. I'm behind the curve a bit in that I'm still learning the ropes of the Mono race, let alone any of the expansion races.

I've run into a snag, an hour or so into my game I'm suddenly unable to transport any of my glorious machine race from my capital to anywhere else, I have all the FTL shards necessary, I can't move them close or far, none of my planets are an acceptable target. All of my other planets are still behaving normally and can transport freely. I was wondering if anyone with much more Star Ruler experience then me knows something about Mono or perhaps some other mechanic that might be stopping me.

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?

Elem7 posted:

I'm getting constant CTDs, 2 games in a row now I've gotten to a point where I'm guaranteed a CTD seconds after my latest save game. I've already tried a cache verification and complete re-download the game but no luck. Never had problems pre-expansion.

Hi! Sorry you're having trouble with the game, sometimes a bug slips into a savegame. If you could post your Documents/My Games/Star Ruler 2/errors.log.txt and your save file that crashes (which is in the saves/ folder there), that would help us a lot in fixing whatever issue you're having.

Goodchild posted:

I've run into a snag, an hour or so into my game I'm suddenly unable to transport any of my glorious machine race from my capital to anywhere else, I have all the FTL shards necessary, I can't move them close or far, none of my planets are an acceptable target. All of my other planets are still behaving normally and can transport freely. I was wondering if anyone with much more Star Ruler experience then me knows something about Mono or perhaps some other mechanic that might be stopping me.

A possible reason that could block a population transfer from a specific planet is if the planet is under siege or an annex vote is currently underway on it. If that's not the case then feel free to post a savegame as well and I'll take a look at what's causing it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Not sure how to get my support ships to do raids targeted at the enemy flagships now. I thought there used to be an option for that, but there's only brawler and cavalry and neither of them seem to go after a flagship with no supports?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm enjoying the hydroponics satellites, combined with terraforming they offer a pretty effective way of backfilling your empire, and when you combine it with the artifact spawning from reverent and liberal use of fling beacons to steal planets, you can quite handily sit and build a rather tall empire.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Currently 5th from the top in /r/games/

Is this helping sales at all? Have any of the youtubers responded? I think we all want this to be a success :(

I bought 2 copies fwiw!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
A few YTers have responded now: GetDaved and Arumba (who does own a copy of the base game already!), namely. It is definitely helping sales, yes. Also thanks so much for buying 2 copies!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 24, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah I had one of those free beta copies you sent out a long time ago, so I picked up the expansion and another set for later.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks for this! It's a big help.

I've got some custom support ships I'd like to use my defense generation to build. How do I set it so my custom ships are built instead of the defaults?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 24, 2016

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
You can obsolete the old ships if you'd like. Also the game will try to purchase support ships in the same proportions that you've ordered them in the past. If you buy a lot of "Beamzorz Mk VI"s for instance it'll try to also build a lot of Beamzorz MK VIs.

The red circles on the design when you're in the design overview screen are the Obsolete button. Clicking it will hide the design and prevent your Empire from autobuilding ships of that type and will remove that design from all ship building lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Is there a reason why one of my Orbital Replicators doesn't seem to be providing labor to the planet below it? I can start the core building on this world but it never progresses

• Locked thread