Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I'm still kind of sad that Big Knucks and Surrak never got their day in the sun.

Knuckleblade will forever live on in my heart as the Dumb Cousin of Aetherling That Never Could.

I miss it already. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I wish the people at my FNM would get the memo about a diverse standard. Last night I played against 3 Gx ramp decks and a bant company. I went 3-1 with BW control (three guesses as to what my loss was against), but still. Kinda boring to play the same game six times.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yawgmoth posted:

I wish the people at my FNM would get the memo about a diverse standard. Last night I played against 3 Gx ramp decks and a bant company. I went 3-1 with BW control (three guesses as to what my loss was against), but still. Kinda boring to play the same game six times.

So Crpytlith RItes is basically a more consistent, faster version of Rally. It's gonna get old REALLY quick.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So is Finkle's deck just really vaulnerable to exile? I'm going over the top 8 trying to figure out what I want to be playing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess but what effects even hit it? Void Shatter?

e: I guess the esper deck is playing Spell Shrivel.

e2: oh right Transgress the Mind. Still you can play around that by not leaving Seasons Past in your hand on their turn.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 24, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

So Crpytlith RItes is basically a more consistent, faster version of Rally. It's gonna get old REALLY quick.

The mirror is horrible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Count Bleck posted:

The mirror is horrible.

Thank god cutthroat isn't a blood artist. (or would that make the math easier?)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mcmagic posted:

CFB had a lot of strong pilots on it and they haven't completely dominated the tournament. It doesn't seem broken.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is the best thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

CFB had a lot of strong pilots on it and they haven't completely dominated the tournament. It doesn't seem broken.

No but it's the best deck going forward and it's miserable to play against. Just like Rally was.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What makes you think it's the best deck?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The deck loses Husk and Collected Company in the next rotation, so even if it dominates it won't be for long.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

The deck loses Husk and Collected Company in the next rotation, so even if it dominates it won't be for long.

Three months ain't two years and I'm just loving fine with that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What makes you think it's the best deck?

I tested alot last night, played in a big FMN and played in a 100 person tourney today. It just seemed like the best deck to me by far. I could be wrong but I don't think i am.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why weren't there multiples of it on the top tables then?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why weren't there multiples of it on the top tables then?

You talking about the PT? Do we know how many people played it? Also 40% of the PT is draft..I'm pretty sure it has the best record of any deck in standard.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

My folks bought me this for my birthday.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

kizudarake posted:

I mean this is a good playmat.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
My concern is that Kalitas feels like a trump against it when there aren't 8 bounce creatures in the deck like in 4c rally. I'm a bit wary of flaying tendrils, too. It feels to me like a fantastic meta deck, though, and should find some variant of itself as a format staple.

It turns out that both halves of 4c rally (GB husk/cutthroat value sac engine and bant tempo) are pretty drat good on their own.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GeneX posted:

My concern is that Kalitas feels like a trump against it when there aren't 8 bounce creatures in the deck like in 4c rally. I'm a bit wary of flaying tendrils, too. It feels to me like a fantastic meta deck, though, and should find some variant of itself as a format staple.

It turns out that both halves of 4c rally (GB husk/cutthroat value sac engine and bant tempo) are pretty drat good on their own.

Kalitas is good against it but it's not enough. I won games against Kalitas pretty easily yesterday with it since you can just build up a huge board and win out of nowhere. You're also playing your own Kalitas and ultimate price out of the board. It's similer to Kalitas vs rally: good but not always a trump.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kizudarake posted:

How thick is the playmat? Debating pulling the trigger on the Hanna, Ship's Navigator.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A friend of mine got the ultima online splash art via inked playmats. It looks and feels great

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/MaeEye/092011/22048_Reminiscent-Ultima-Online. It's on this page

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

A friend of mine got the ultima online splash art via inked playmats. It looks and feels great

I bet it smells like raw rear end though.

That's fine, you can just air that out.

Edit: On the subject of rear end, you guys like topical poo poo and JoJos, right?

Right.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 24, 2016

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

So is Finkle's deck just really vaulnerable to exile? I'm going over the top 8 trying to figure out what I want to be playing.

Even if it is, what cards are even playable that exile instant/sorceries? I guess if the deck gets to be too much people will start playing Invasive Surgery/Pick the Brain against it. That seems like pretty sick tech if you can get Delirium.

EDIT: It looks like the Bant Company deck plays 2 Invasive Surgery in the board.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Transgress the Mind is actually very popular and potentially kills the loop until they get another Dark Petition. The issue of course is that once the loop starts running there's a good chance you're getting hit repeatedly with Duress, so you might have to topdeck it.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Edit: NEVER MIND, I'M AN IDIOT.

ElectricRelaxation fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 24, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

does anyone have any good guesswork to when we'll get the next Announcing article?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Not sure if I should warn people about this here or in the limited thread or both, but I discovered an interesting MTGO bug tonight: foils from prerelease and sealed leagues don't seem to show up in your collection when you finish! So yeah, anyone who is currently playing or has recently played in a MTGO sealed league might want to keep an eye on making sure your cards don't vanish into the aether.

I've still got mine! Are you sure you have foils viewable?

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

Lancelot posted:

I've still got mine! Are you sure you have foils viewable?

...well I sure feel like a dumbass, although I really have no idea how that box got unchecked. I had to search around for it. Welp, time to follow up that complaint to Wizards.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Luis Salvatto's got a pretty sweet job.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

...well I sure feel like a dumbass, although I really have no idea how that box got unchecked. I had to search around for it. Welp, time to follow up that complaint to Wizards.

mtgo is a quality program

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Anyone have a demonic tentacles list? I don't follow pro magic often so I wouldn't really know where to look myself

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Our top 8:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/top-8-decklists-2016-04-23

Zero mainboard copies of Declaration in Stone despite there being five white decks. The card is overrated. Three of them aren't even playing it out of the board.

I don't know anything about Standard. Can someone explain to me why Brad Nelson's deck is good?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't know anything about Standard. Can someone explain to me why Brad Nelson's deck is good?

It sets up an engine where it pyromancer's goggles read 'tap goggles, draw four cards' or 'tap goggles, destroy all your opponent's creatures and burn them for 16'

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
There's an update on Magic's twitch channel that matches are delayed until power is restored at the venue. Whoops!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

UberJew posted:

It sets up an engine where it pyromancer's goggles read 'tap goggles, draw four cards' or 'tap goggles, destroy all your opponent's creatures and burn them for 16'

Alright, that makes sense. Is all the weird land stuff just there to pay the cost for Magmatic Insight?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sharzak posted:

Anyone have a demonic tentacles list? I don't follow pro magic often so I wouldn't really know where to look myself

http://deckstats.net/decks/30280/476632-eduardo-sajgalik-s-demonic-ten/en

This looks like it — there was a deck tech on the stream so there's no reason for this to be any different.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

Alright, that makes sense. Is all the weird land stuff just there to pay the cost for Magmatic Insight?

Drownyard Temple has synergy with Tormenting Voice/Magmatic Insight and then the ramp spells are because it wants approximately infinite mana

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Got it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I guess they're playing simultaneous games now, I thought they'd only have one at a time.

• Locked thread