Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

This is a parody post, right? No one would actually hold this up as a thing which should be aspired to, it's just so insane.

I believe this is called an aspirational voter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I was involved with part of this in the last leg of '14; DHS was contracting the Centrelink mobile app out to HP, who then I think through this program worked with these guys and Autism SA to hire and train a dozen QA testers for it.

Worked well for everyone else; personally, the work made me rue waking up every morning because it was so tediously, painfully poo poo. And given it was the Centrelink app you can imagine how well the day-to-day went.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 24, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

DHS was contracting the Centrelink mobile app out to HP,

haha that explains a great deal.

Boydi!
Jul 19, 2005
I have no idea what to write here!

Murodese posted:

Seriouspost: our company hires a number of people with autism for pretty specific roles (e.g. our deployment team who have to fastidiously follow checklists and do everything meticulously), and we're looking to add some testers with similar skillsets. The ACS and Curtin do some stuff with AASQA (Autism Academy for Software Quality Assurance) that we're partnering with, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with similar stuff?

I've worked as a Software Quality Assurance analyst for a couple of years in Melbourne, I moved back to Perth and crushed my hopes of ever doing a job like that again. It is just barren here with no opportunities. If you need a tester I would be interested.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

haha that explains a great deal.

You think it's bad enough using it now, imagine the team whose job it was to test the thing.

Legitimately, the highlight of the whole time was going out to EB Games and buying Bravely Default, because there was no other light.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Boydi! posted:

I've worked as a Software Quality Assurance analyst for a couple of years in Melbourne, I moved back to Perth and crushed my hopes of ever doing a job like that again. It is just barren here with no opportunities. If you need a tester I would be interested.

Can you toss me your CV and a brief description of your previous roles? PM me for my email.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Nick Xenophon candidate Damian Carey stands by claim genital acupuncture can cure infertility

Political maverick Nick Xenophon's candidate for the seat of Kingston, Damian Carey, is standing by a paper he wrote suggesting acupuncture in the female genital region could cure infertility.

Mr Carey describes himself as a doctor of Chinese medicine and self-taught massage therapist and in a paper titled Treatment of Qi and Blood Deficiency in Infertility, he discussed the theory, arguing the method was a cheaper alternative to IVF.

"That's one thing that an intelligent government would be promoting, as much as possible," he said.

Mr Carey asserts acupuncture in the perineum could help prevent "sub-healthy" children being born.

"This is a particularly useful point [between the anus and vagina] if it was utilised more often, but clearly it's something that you only do rarely but it's nothing that you wouldn't see in gynaecology outpatients," Mr Carey told the ABC.

In his paper he says Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) "can artificially override the normal physiological filtering of unhealthy gametes, leading to the potential for generations of sub-healthy ART children to be born".

Senator Xenophon has a history of picking colourful candidates and was infamously burnt by his former running mate Ann Bressington.

"Other members in here will tell you of the number of disillusioned people that come to our door and ring us up, [and say] that once the publicity is over he's gone," she said in 2007.

This time around, Senator Xenophon has selected his candidates through a strict vetting process that even involved psychological testing.

"This is a pretty big job we're asking people to do," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-24/damian-carey-stands-by-claim-acupuncture-can-cure-infertility/7353828

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Not the first politician I've encountered that reminds me of the area between the vagina and the anus.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
e: misread and thought the psuedoscientist was going to run in wakefield

wikipedia posted:

Andrew Jeremy Wakefield (born c. 1957) is a British former gastroenterologist and medical researcher, known for his fraudulent 1998 research paper in support of the now-discredited claim that there was a link between the administration of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and the appearance of autism and bowel disease.[1][2][3][4][5]

Welsper fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 24, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

idgi

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Welsper posted:

e: misread and thought the psuedoscientist was going to run in wakefield

As part of an ethics part of a uni course I'm doing we looked at the original Wakefield paper. It was basically, "everything you need to know about dodgy research is in this one study"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I stuck a bunch of needles in my taint and now i cant stop having babies

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's all about the sub par babies. If your kids have downs well that's just your fault ladies for not taking a jab to the taint. No better than those treasonous wenches who refused to give the king a son.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Senator Ricky Muir
Page Liked · 24 mins · Edited ·

Yesterday I launched my project car, PLCTLY INCRCT (Politically Incorrect), at Tyre Warfare on Gippsland Motorplex / Bairnsdale Dragway's burnout pad with my wife riding by my side.

The purpose of the build is to promote the "keep it off the street" message which most real enthusiasts support, and to promote to all levels of Government the need of affordable grass roots motor sport venues. Naturally this includes the social and economic benefits which follow from having such venues available. It is definitely time for new thinking and the Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party and I will gladly lead the way!

How did the car go?

Axle tramp, back brakes engaging despite being clamped, electronic problems preventing the car from revving up to the limiter, transmission looking for gears I didn't want it to find and a blown radiator before any tyres gave up the ghost.

And the beauty of it all was; I had great fun in a safe and controlled environment while speaking with a variety of different people from all different backgrounds, just like every other entrant.

As far as the car goes..... Now that I have found its faults in the right environment, it will be back at AspoNats for a second attempt. Regardless of the outcome, just like yesterday, I will be on the track with a big smile on my face!

Am I the only politician to ever enter a fully sanctioned, legal, burnout competition?

Video to come!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Onya Ricky.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Not the first politician I've encountered that reminds me of the area between the vagina and the anus.

Ah, the pyneum

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Happy Valhalla day, warboys. Witness me, lest you forget.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

"The Guardian posted:

A 16-year-old Sydney boy has been charged with planning a terrorist act to coincide with Anzac Day commemorations.

Officers from the NSW joint counter-terrorism team arrested the teenager near his Auburn home on Sunday following an investigation by officers attached to Operation Vianden.

The arrest was announced shortly before the start of Sydney’s main dawn service at Martin Place.

NSW police commissioner Andrew Scipione said officers were forced to move quickly.

Malcolm Turnbull: multiculturalism and tolerance will combat terrorism
“Clearly we have taken swift action to ensure community safety on the eve of a sacred day on the Australian calendar,” Scipione said in a statement on Monday.

“Anzac Day should be observed by all in our community free from fear and I would encourage everyone to enjoy this special day.”

Speaking at a 6am media conference shortly after the dawn service, Scipione said police did not believe there was a wider threat.

“At this stage we believe it was one person by himself,” he said. “The risk from this particular threat has been thwarted.”

Commander Chris Sheehan from the Australian Federal Police said young people who might be susceptible to carrying out criminal acts were being groomed online like victims of sexual abuse.

“In Australia and around the world, the age of people radicalised is getting younger, with online grooming tactics similar to those used by sexual predators,” he said.

The boy has been charged with one count of acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act, which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

He was refused bail and was due to appear in a children’s court later on Monday.

Both Scipione and Sheahan said the boy’s age was troubling.

“It is important for families to stay on top of what’s happening, particularly as they see changes in behaviour,” Scipione said.
The commissioner urged people not to let the arrest disrupt plans to attend Anzac Day services.

“Do not let an event like this stop you from going out and taking part in what is a most important commemorative day for us,” he said. “So, please, don’t be perturbed.”

Scipione said details of the boy’s alleged plan would become clearer after the court appearance.

“We knew of this particular young person but these are facts that will come before the courts when he is presented today,” he said.

The boy’s family home at Auburn had been searched, he said.

“There was a search conducted and a number of items looked at. I’m not in a position to tell you if anything was seized.”

NSW premier Mike Baird said the events were disturbing, and praised police for the arrest.

“The important point is not to look at the hypotheticals, but to look at the actions that have been taken. Actions were taken by police to prevent actions, to keep us safe,” he told reporters after the dawn service.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Negligent posted:

Cambodia is actually a lovely country. People there take care of each other and, if someone is riding a bike on the road, get this - they don't actively try to kill the cyclist. I know this might be hard to comprehend in such an advanced nation as Australia.

I should post some of the photos I took on holidays in Cambodia. The sex tourist, the open sewer, the desperate sellers at intersections, the tuk tuk cartel in Siam Reip, oh... Here we go.

The van full of rats near the Russian Market, Phenom Pehn.

I didn't exactly agree with your motorsport event but I admire your standing by your party and platform. I hope you survive the coming election.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 24, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Security theatre with my Anzac Day? I'll have some with waffles, please!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
when did they start having school kids march in anzac parades? not in a band or whatever, just 'and here are the local private and public school kids'

loving creepy anzac-jugend

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

when did they start having school kids march in anzac parades? not in a band or whatever, just 'and here are the local private and public school kids'

Are they wearing their grandparents medals?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

i can't hack anzac day any more.

too many 19-25 y/o kids who went o/s, sat on a FOB for 9 mths, did nothing, got 4-5 gongs for that single trip and think they're Mark Donaldson (a good dude).

anzac day in melbourne, i give 1/5 stars bc there are dickheads everywhere looking to get into fights over who SERVED HARDER

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
It's hard to believe it's already been a year since

FRESH IN OUR MEMORIES

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are they wearing their grandparents medals?

some of 'em. but they're not marching with the old battalion.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bigis posted:

It's hard to believe it's already been a year since

FRESH IN OUR MEMORIES

Lest we forget

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

All the actual anzacs are dead. Need something to bulk up the parade a bit

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think schools think of it as good PR for them and character-building for students. As students, we were told that participating in the march would show commitment and leadership. It's one of the things they wave over your head if you want a prefect/captaincy role, it's a very minor thing you can point to for being 'involved in the community,' and I guess some students want to march out of respect/to remember a relative.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Happy Ottoman's kicked our rear end Day everyone.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nJF5MDGJg

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Fresh in our investment portfolios

Liberal MP Stuart Robert has been criticised after using Twitter to link Anzac Day to a Turnbull Government tax policy.

Mr Robert, who resigned as assistant minister for defence amid controversy earlier this year, tweeted that "there are more defence force personnel who use negative gearing than surgeons, judges, anaesthetists and psychiatrists combined" shortly after 10:30am today.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

when there were no ww1 vets left and the parade felt short, so the kids put on their dead grandparents medals and walked in their place.

in remembrance. Hardcore History 50. Blueprint for Armageddon I
http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Liberal MP Stuart Robert has been criticised after using Twitter to link Anzac Day to a Turnbull Government tax policy.

Mr Robert, who resigned as assistant minister for defence amid controversy earlier this year, tweeted that "there are more defence force personnel who use negative gearing than surgeons, judges, anaesthetists and psychiatrists combined" shortly after 10:30am today.

Man this guy doesn't stop disgracing himself does he? If course it is Queensland so he will be re-elected.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

Dude McAwesome posted:

i can't hack anzac day any more.

too many 19-25 y/o kids who went o/s, sat on a FOB for 9 mths, did nothing, got 4-5 gongs for that single trip and think they're Mark Donaldson (a good dude).

anzac day in melbourne, i give 1/5 stars bc there are dickheads everywhere looking to get into fights over who SERVED HARDER

Sums up well how I feel about the day as well

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Anidav posted:

I scrolled past that and thought it was a criticism of negative gearing.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Mordialloc posted:

Sums up well how I feel about the day as well

Realtalk: I hate how caught up in their own legend most young servicemen/women are. For the most part, you are not exceptional people, the world doesn't owe you a god drat thing, and you're not better than the average Australian because of that service.

But that's a pretty unpopular opinion that doesn't go down well at the pub. So I've stopped bothering to try and share my critical view of the day with current and recently serving people. People don't like to be told they're not exceptional, and most of them retort with "YOU FUCKIN WHAT oval office?" so yeah.

u and me vs the world mordialloc (previously FYAD KNIGHT?)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I know a few guys in signals and the SAS and they're generally good people, but standard infantry are literally a waste of life. Yet to meet a rifleman that didn't suck rear end.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Murodese posted:

I know a few guys in signals and the SAS and they're generally good people, but standard infantry are literally a waste of life. Yet to meet a rifleman that didn't suck rear end.

:(

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Murodese posted:

in my limited experience, those guys operating at the very pointy end tend to have excellent critical thinking skills and don't drink the kool-aid. as a result they tend to be fairly self aware and intelligent (both emotionally and cognitively).

as opposed to 'gently caress yeah, i'm a rifleman, gods corps baby, suck my dick pogues, gently caress civilians, i'm the greatest thing in the world cos my sgt says so and he's also infantry, my battalion is better than your battalion, yew!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Dude McAwesome posted:

in my limited experience, those guys operating at the very pointy end tend to have excellent critical thinking skills and don't drink the kool-aid. as a result they tend to be fairly self aware and intelligent (both emotionally and cognitively).

A friend of mine's dad was an SAS commander, very calm and intelligent with a subtle "seen some poo poo" vibe. One of his comments was that far more people fail selection on psychological than physical grounds.

• Locked thread