Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Helen Highwater posted:

Even the nutbaggiest conspiracy theorists don't deny that two airliners actually hit the towers.

Oh, you sweet summer child. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Usually the reason for demolition is like occultism or goooooooooooold buggery

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helen Highwater posted:

Even the nutbaggiest conspiracy theorists don't deny that two airliners actually hit the towers.

Actually, one spiel I've heard from my dad is: Hollywood CGI is a couple of years behind what the government is capable of. What actually happened is that the gov't has the ability to generate CGI in real-time, and insert it into news feeds live. The planes didn't exist, and nothing ever hit the towers - you just saw the NSA or whatever create a pixel-perfect image (for the resolution of TV at that time) of what a plane flying into the WTC would have looked like.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
And I guess everyone living and working in one of the most densely populated locations on the planet, completely failed to notice any discrepancy between the CNN feed and what they could plainly see out of their windows?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Caconym posted:

Oh, you sweet summer child. :allears:

When I was watching it happen live in 9th grade, the dude next to me said that it was probably a plane shaped cruise missile that the CIA had. He was thinking it was a conspiracy before the firefighters arrived.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Helen Highwater posted:

And I guess everyone living and working in one of the most densely populated locations on the planet, completely failed to notice any discrepancy between the CNN feed and what they could plainly see out of their windows?

Well of course people could see the planes, how dumb do you think the government is? Obviously, the 9/11 planes were actually holograms projected by the government to mislead people while they blew up the towers in a controlled demolition. You know this is true because of how the planes disappear immediately on impact, and how there was no substantial plane debris found. Planes are huge, why didn't we find the wrecked fuselage? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING OBAMA?!

Also the reason they had to do 9/11 instead of a bombing campaign is that they also needed a cover event to remove the billions in gold stored in the WTC basement vault. With the collapse of the towers obviously that gold could be claimed as 'lost' and instead used to fund the shadow government. If they hadn't collapsed WTC7 then the ruse might have been discovered!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the reasons for the "controlled demolition" justification is that the Empire State Building was hit by a plane in the 1930s and was at basically no risk of collapse. Therefore, planes can't knock down buildings! This is, of course, ignoring that the Empire State Building and World Trade Center towers were built in entirely different methods and the World Trade Center was much "flimsier" when it came to massive structural damage and intense heat.

Another is the theory that it was an insurance scam: Larry Silverstein took out insurance on the towers a year earlier that covered terrorist attacks, and received $4.6 billion in compensation for 9/11. What the conspiracy ignores is that the actual value of the towers was significantly higher and the insurance contracts were incomplete, resulting in a lot of legal arguments to even get that level of payout. A similar argument is that the buildings were full of asbestos and Silverstein was clued in on the demolition plot beforehand, so he jumped on the opportunity for cheap and easy asbestos removal!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the reasons for the "controlled demolition" justification is that the Empire State Building was hit by a plane in the 1930s and was at basically no risk of collapse. Therefore, planes can't knock down buildings! This is, of course, ignoring that the Empire State Building and World Trade Center towers were built in entirely different methods and the World Trade Center was much "flimsier" when it came to massive structural damage and intense heat.

The plain that hit the WTC was also much smaller, much slower, carrying much less fuel that was less volatile, made a blow to the side rather than dead center...

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The 767s that hit the towers were also more than 10x as massive, traveling much faster. Hell, the fuel alone on the 767s would probably outweighh the mass of the entire B-25 that hit the Empire State building.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gully Foyle posted:

The 767s that hit the towers were also more than 10x as massive, traveling much faster. Hell, the fuel alone on the 767s would probably outweighh the mass of the entire B-25 that hit the Empire State building.

Rational Wiki (which is admittedly a decent resource despite being insufferable at times) did the math on it:

quote:

The two incidents were very different. Although smaller than the towers were, The Empire State Building is a much heavier building. The Empire State Building is a steel-framed structure with movement-resisting bolted or riveted connections: this means that every joint resists bending moments and wind forces and the load from any failed/ damaged columns can be redistributed, whereas the WTC's steel framed-tube configuration allowed only the exterior wall to resists bending moments due to wind. The Empire State Building's structure can redistribute loads from failed/damaged columns, but the core steel columns of the Twin Towers only supported downward loads.

The B-25 was a twin-engine World War II bomber. It was much smaller and far slower than the Boeing 767 airliners which crashed into the Twin Towers. The B-25 is estimated at 9,750 kg flying 320 kph, versus a Boeing 767-223ER (AA 11) or 767-222 (UA 175) with a mass of at least 90,000 kg flying at 750 kph (or 950 kph) respectively. Liberal estimates of the B-25 give 40 million kilojoules of kinetic energy on impact, while a conservative estimate gives AA 11 2 billion kilojoules and UA 175 3 billion kilojoules, resulting in least 50 times the kinetic energy on impact.

Furthermore, the B-25 was a propeller-driven aircraft, which meant that it was powered by high-octane gasoline instead of jet fuel, and the B-25 carried way less fuel than does a modern airliner. Finally, the fire in the Empire State Building was different than in the World Trade Center and the FDNY was able to extinguish it before it got out of control.

I did some math on the fuel load and the maximum fuel load of a 767-223ER should weigh about 163,910 pounds. This obviously isn't how much was in the tanks upon impact, but a B-25H has a max takeoff weight of only 35,000 pounds. So "the fuel weighed more than the whole B-25" is probably correct.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 21, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the b-25 pilots were lost in the fog over NYC, which is a pretty oh poo poo situation for pilots to be in, so they were poking along at barely above stall speed trying to figure out where they were so that they wouldn't crash into a building before they ended up crashing into a building, so you can further revise the math downwards from a b-25's max speed to it's min speed when comparing the events

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So it turns out the "doctor" who lost his medical license for a falsified study linking autism to vaccines has produced an anti-vaccination documentary, and it got accepted by the Tribeca Film Festival.

I've already seem some anti-vaxxers crowing about what a great thing this is, and how the vaccination movement is going to crumble any day now. Others are being more sane. This bit from the article by another documentary filmmaker sums things up pretty well.

quote:

Dear Tribeca Film Festival, I love you but you made a very serious mistake.

On Monday, the widely discredited and dangerous anti-vaccination quack Andrew Wakefield tweeted: 'Haven’t posted forever. Huge news tomorrow.'

Perhaps he hadn’t 'posted forever' because the media finally stopped giving him a megaphone. Perhaps once people in America and England began dying of measles, journalists finally realized that the 'two sides to every story' approach granted Wakefield was literally killing people.

Last I heard, Wakefield was headlining Conspira-Sea, a seven-day cruise where passengers learn about crop circles, chemtrails, yogic flying, ESP and astrology. Good, I thought, that’s where he belongs.

Well, not so fast. It seems the quack is back. Wakefield’s 'huge news' is that he is now a documentary film director, and that his new film Vaxxed: From Cover-up to Catastrophe will premiere at the prestigious Tribeca Film Festival this April.

Your online film festival guide helpfully suggests if I’m interested in Vaxxed, I might also be interested in the category of 'documentaries.' Well, as a documentary filmmaker who spent eight years making a film about a quack: yes, Tribeca Film Festival, I am interested in your choice to screen Vaxxed and what it means for documentaries."

She goes on to write: "issues around truth and ethics in documentary can get thorny. But this one should have been easy. The anti-vaccination hoax has been completely discredited by now. This film is not some sort of disinterested investigation into the 'vaccines cause autism' hoax; this film is *directed by the person who perpetuated the hoax.* And this hoax isn’t cute, or fun, or thought-provoking. Very possibly, some people will walk away from your festival having been convinced, in part because of your good name and the excellence and integrity of your documentary programming, not to vaccinate their children. And very possibly people will die as a result."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Conspira Sea sounds absolutely bonkers, I read a really good article about it here

I feel like the very first sentence is practically the highlight. The author is loving brilliant to think of putting this at the beginning:

quote:

“Once we’re in international waters, every woman on the ship gets to make love to whoever she wants,” Sean David Morton said, with a wink.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Interesting read on Conspira Sea. I always love peeking into an alien worldview like that.

"If there was one consistent idea, it was that we’re all caught in a bewildering and vicious system. Someone is the oppressor, whether it’s the Illuminati or someone from the WHO trying to stick you with needles. Something must be escaped, mastered, transcended. If you’re lucky, and have the right set of tools and devices—more on those in a minute—you can break free. Even mortality and death, in this context, are little more than a vicious game, one that can be beaten."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Interesting read on Conspira Sea. I always love peeking into an alien worldview like that.

"If there was one consistent idea, it was that we’re all caught in a bewildering and vicious system. Someone is the oppressor, whether it’s the Illuminati or someone from the WHO trying to stick you with needles. Something must be escaped, mastered, transcended. If you’re lucky, and have the right set of tools and devices—more on those in a minute—you can break free. Even mortality and death, in this context, are little more than a vicious game, one that can be beaten."

This really does sum up the central thesis of all conspiracy theories.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a breeding ground for Luciferians.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The Swedish commercial air traffic interest group Svenskt Flyg posted this on their twitter today:

https://twitter.com/SvensktFlyg/status/715785748235030530

Translation:
"Big thanks to @ArmedForces and @SecurityPolice for good and fruitful cooperation these last years!"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The Swedish commercial air traffic interest group Svenskt Flyg posted this on their twitter today:

https://twitter.com/SvensktFlyg/status/715785748235030530

Translation:
"Big thanks to @ArmedForces and @SecurityPolice for good and fruitful cooperation these last years!"

That's great. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding like this:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
April 1st joke that all the crazy fuckers are going to take as an admission of guilt.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I want to hear opinions and see funny clips about this new 28 pages media flurry and also the Panama Papers.

Alex Jones is having a field day. As i understand it the bill only allows for POSSIBILITY of holding Saudi culpable for 9/11 and doesn't in any way assign blame to them (yet).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GutBomb posted:

That's great. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding like this:

Words cannot express how much I love this ad, because I can see the thought process that takes it from "What's a cool thing kids are saying these days?" and manages to go through a bunch of old white guys giving it their thumbs up without ever asking anyone outside their bubble "Hey, what does 'I'd hit it' mean?"

E: VVV While appropriate speculation for the conspiracy thread, I doubt it, because it's just a tiny Internet banner ad. If they really wanted to do that, it'd probably be a TV spot.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 18, 2016

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Words cannot express how much I love this ad, because I can see the thought process that takes it from "What's a cool thing kids are saying these days?" and manages to go through a bunch of old white guys giving it their thumbs up without ever asking anyone outside their bubble "Hey, what does 'I'd hit it' mean?"

Alternately, they decided running an ad about someone loving a burger would get them a bunch of publicity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Larch posted:

Alternately, they decided running an ad about someone loving a burger would get them a bunch of publicity.

Occam's Razor, it's a lot more likely that some marketing execs didn't know what the gently caress they were doing (because they almost never do)

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The whole conspirasea thing sounds like a convenient honeypot to round up and exterminate those who know too much.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone have that video of the guy believing in extra dimensional demons debunking historical conspiracies?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The illuminati made me double post

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV While appropriate speculation for the conspiracy thread, I doubt it, because it's just a tiny Internet banner ad. If they really wanted to do that, it'd probably be a TV spot.

They should capitalise on their mistake by running a series of ads describing what other foodstuffs the dollar menu guy would gently caress

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Illuminti posted:

They should capitalise on their mistake by running a series of ads describing what other foodstuffs the dollar menu guy would gently caress

It's about 12 years too late to capitalize on that campaign.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fishmech posted:

It's about 12 years too late to capitalize on that campaign.

I live in a lead lined bunker and subsist on mushrooms i grow in a cave I carved out underneath my living area. I only really came out to see if it was acceptable to hump food now. Disappointed i missed my window

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZ1LM7H3Ow

When did Corgan go nuts?

And get fat?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZ1LM7H3Ow

When did Corgan go nuts?

And get fat?

He's always been pretty nuts IIRC, you just get more passes on it when you're still successful.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
TRUE FACTS from some guy I met:

-The only reason Yo-Yo Ma got famous was because "they" (the sinister liberal-Islamist alliance) didn't want yet another famous Jewish violinist
-The reason why cops are called "pigs" is because when they retire, they're ready for the slaughter. By which he means, the Black Panthers kill them.
-This is done primarily through contact poisons.
-Many things are done via contact poison.
-Contact poisons that are very hard to detect unless you know what you're looking for (he knows what he's looking for).
-The reason his art career never took off was because he wasn't liberal/gay enough for Them.
-He's not saying that the Ottoman Empire was behind the Hindenburg disaster, and also for starting World War I, but wasn't it awfully convenient for them that all the old colonial powers were suddenly killing each other???
-The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is partly true, you just have to change "Jews" to "Muslims." Because it's actually a description of the sinister Islamic conspiracy to take over the world. Also, the reason it's anti-Jewish is because of the Jesuits.
-Speaking of the Catholic-Islamic alliance, he's pretty sure that the reason why women used to have to cover their heads in church was because the Catholics were trying to appeal to people "from a certain part of the world."

At some point, I think this sort of delusion stops being paranoia and starts being a sort of liberation from your lovely life, a gnostic apotheosis.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DKD posted:

-He's not saying that the Ottoman Empire was behind the Hindenburg disaster, and also for starting World War I, but wasn't it awfully convenient for them that all the old colonial powers were suddenly killing each other???

I love this one for the implication that the Ottomans had a sleeper cell around for over 20 years past when the empire collapsed, just to sabotage the Hindenburg. That's some long term planning.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a crazy person van that drives around my town that's covered with OTTOMAN EMPIRE REBORN stuff and how HARP and CHEMTRAILS and obama are all part of some neo-ottoman empire plot.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Prince was murdered

http://www.infowars.com/special-report-was-prince-murdered-by-illuminati-record-execs/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppt_QjbEiPo

Rubinsky had nothing to do with the Great Heinessen Fire - but the official Kaiser investigation considered it all part of the Galactic War on Terra

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

ChaseSP posted:

Anyone have that video of the guy believing in extra dimensional demons debunking historical conspiracies?

Do you mean the ancient aliens thing? Where the guy used to believe it then gave up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DKD posted:

-The only reason Yo-Yo Ma got famous was because "they" (the sinister liberal-Islamist alliance) didn't want yet another famous Jewish violinist
-The reason why cops are called "pigs" is because when they retire, they're ready for the slaughter. By which he means, the Black Panthers kill them.
-This is done primarily through contact poisons.
-Many things are done via contact poison.
-Contact poisons that are very hard to detect unless you know what you're looking for (he knows what he's looking for).
-The reason his art career never took off was because he wasn't liberal/gay enough for Them.
-The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is partly true, you just have to change "Jews" to "Muslims." Because it's actually a description of the sinister Islamic conspiracy to take over the world. Also, the reason it's anti-Jewish is because of the Jesuits.
-Speaking of the Catholic-Islamic alliance, he's pretty sure that the reason why women used to have to cover their heads in church was because the Catholics were trying to appeal to people "from a certain part of the world."

At some point, I think this sort of delusion stops being paranoia and starts being a sort of liberation from your lovely life, a gnostic apotheosis.

Hm, a racist, antisemitic, homophobic paranoid who blames others for his failed art career. :hitler:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Do you mean the ancient aliens thing? Where the guy used to believe it then gave up?

That is it. Although I thought the guy still believed in that "theory" he goes on about at the end. I wanted it on hand to show to a dude that believes aliens have had an essential role in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mercury Hat posted:

The funny thing about the guy they have on to talk about ancient text, Michael Heiser, he's a very strong Christian, but gets tons of hate from the Christian community becuase he's incredibly well versed in ancient texts, especially the bible, and he dispels a lot of the ideas that most Modern Christians believe.

• Locked thread