Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

enraged_camel posted:

Considering that both 3x01 and 3x03 had much bigger drops in rating immediately afterwards than 3x07 did, and nothing equivalent to Lexa's death, we have zero evidence that the drop after 3x07 was caused by Lexa's death. In fact, there is no way to tell if Lexa's death even had even a measurable impact on ratings. Just because a bunch of LGBT folks and SJWs got annoyed doesn't mean much. For all we know, the ratings may have dropped because a cow in Ohio farted.

1) lol

2) Putting SJW's-as-a-pejorative and "LGBT folks" in the same basket implies some pretty nasty things, guy

e: god i love that loving word filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's real fun to see people jump through hoops to try and explain the ratings drop. first it was basketball, then it was oh well the debates were on at the same time, then oh well Chicago got the episode on Sunday, now it's because that's just what happens don't question it.

whatever helps you sleep at night I guess?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

1) lol

2) Putting SJW's-as-a-pejorative and "LGBT folks" in the same basket implies some pretty nasty things, guy

e: god i love that loving word filter

You're free to read into it as much as you want. At the end of the day, a character on a TV show died. Only certain types of people tend to make a big deal out of such things. We can lump them under "people not worth taking seriously."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

it's real fun to see people jump through hoops to try and explain the ratings drop. first it was basketball, then it was oh well the debates were on at the same time, then oh well Chicago got the episode on Sunday, now it's because that's just what happens don't question it.

We can sleep just fine without Lexa, thank you very much. You, on the other hand...

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

enraged_camel posted:

You're free to read into it as much as you want. At the end of the day, a character on a TV show died. Only certain types of people tend to make a big deal out of such things. We can lump them under "people not worth taking seriously."

The first post of mine you quoted was literally me saying that if you're still thinking like this to maybe take a step back & try to think about this whole mess without bias so im not sure what you're going for here

it got swallowed up but heres a Good Post from the bottom of last page if you didnt see it:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This.

A shows ratings always fall off after the first couple episodes of a season. New viewers don't know what's going on an ditch and others just stop caring. Then the ratings stabilize. Which this did for 4 weeks. Until Lexa died and its been in a free fall ever since. It trys to recover a tiny bit but then whoops, Lincoln dies and the ratings plummet further. Turns out killing off two of your most popular characters in retarded rear end ways is a bad idea.

FFS this isn't some CBS juggernaut, these CW shows live and die by a small devoted fan base. And if you lose them you're screwed.

Like we can argue until this thread gets mercifully gassed over whether it's legitimate to be upset about her death but outright denying that it affected things is pretty boldfacedly absurd and reeks of "I've decided on my viewpoint and I'm going to defend it"-style arguing.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

You used punctuation.

I am so proud of you right now.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

You used punctuation.

I am so proud of you right now.

capital letters will come eventually, maybe next year.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's some text book gloating you got there.

You ruined this thread once. Keep it in your pants.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rocksicles posted:

That's some text book gloating you got there.

You ruined this thread once. Keep it in your pants.

I am proud of my punctuation I am allowed to gloat about such an accomplishment!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Feel free to edit that then. ^

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Considering that both 3x01 and 3x03 had much bigger drops in rating immediately afterwards than 3x07 did, and nothing equivalent to Lexa's death, we have zero evidence that the drop after 3x07 was caused by Lexa's death. In fact, there is no way to tell if Lexa's death even had even a measurable impact on ratings. Just because a bunch of LGBT folks and SJWs got annoyed doesn't mean much. For all we know, the ratings may have dropped because a cow in Ohio farted.

Causality? Who needs it. :smug:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You guys really do always find a way.

I'm glad Emerson came back and then died but boyo Clarke sure took her sweet time to break out the death chip. Sinclair dying sucks. I don't have a problem with character death but they've gotta stop killing characters I like :v:

I like how Jaha and Ontari stand to the side of the throne to let the not physically present AI represent herself there.

Re: ratings drop
I get why ratings dropped after episode 1 and 7 but what happened after 3? Somebody jog my memory.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Monicro posted:

I'm no expert on TV ratings or anything, but when the TV world is buzzing for weeks about how people are Pissed about a thing happening and you see a literal graph displaying that indeed lots of people stopped watching immediately after it, and you're still cracking jokes about how the thing didnt matter and the people who cared are a microscopic minority on the internet, maybe take a step or two back

also

Monicro posted:

"I've decided on my viewpoint and I'm going to defend it"-style arguing.

:ironicat:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well let's say that that the premise is correct: that the show had a ton of people, huge segment of the viewers, watching because they were fans of Lexa and Lincoln. And let's say that killing them off caused all those fans to abandon the show as it was no longer worth watching for them.

What does this say about the future of tv? How can you ever kill off any character again without worrying that you'll lose half your viewers? And in the case of Lexa, where the actress was leaving of her own accord for other work, how do you address that?

Even if you "respectfully" have her die of a wasting disease in bed, or say she moved away to another kingdom or a farm to run around and play, you're still losing the reason why this huge segment are tuning in. And she wasn't even a main character. It means that any time you change even the supporting cast of a show you're playing Russian roulette and can lose half your viewers. Or you somehow only pick "safe" characters that nobody likes to kill, for example nobody cares that 50% of the main speaking Asian cast was killed when Monty shot his mom, and I'm sure there will be no cry of racism and destruction of minority roles when Pike is inevitably killed off. So that would be the only way you can kill a character, which dramatically lowers the stakes and makes every show a hugbox. It might as well be the Smurfs or something, where nobody ever dies.

I liked Sinclair, it was a shame that he died. I would hate if it Kane died. But I'd keep watching.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

For all the show's problems, nothing it has done is as bad as the posting in this loving thread, jesus christ.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

raditts posted:

For all the show's problems, nothing it has done is as bad as the posting in this loving thread, jesus christ.

We won't know until we have a chart of posting frequency drop-off of the thread

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Statistically speaking, the more posts this thread gets the worse it is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's true for all TV IV threads.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

Well let's say that that the premise is correct: that the show had a ton of people, huge segment of the viewers, watching because they were fans of Lexa and Lincoln. And let's say that killing them off caused all those fans to abandon the show as it was no longer worth watching for them.

What does this say about the future of tv? How can you ever kill off any character again without worrying that you'll lose half your viewers? And in the case of Lexa, where the actress was leaving of her own accord for other work, how do you address that?

Even if you "respectfully" have her die of a wasting disease in bed, or say she moved away to another kingdom or a farm to run around and play, you're still losing the reason why this huge segment are tuning in. And she wasn't even a main character. It means that any time you change even the supporting cast of a show you're playing Russian roulette and can lose half your viewers. Or you somehow only pick "safe" characters that nobody likes to kill, for example nobody cares that 50% of the main speaking Asian cast was killed when Monty shot his mom, and I'm sure there will be no cry of racism and destruction of minority roles when Pike is inevitably killed off. So that would be the only way you can kill a character, which dramatically lowers the stakes and makes every show a hugbox. It might as well be the Smurfs or something, where nobody ever dies.

I liked Sinclair, it was a shame that he died. I would hate if it Kane died. But I'd keep watching.

Once again, it wasn't the death itself (which was pretty awful writing) but the way the showrunner actively and agressively courted the LGBT crowd on social networks teasing at a full season romance only to screw over his fanbase with what he thought was an **awesome** twist.
He took plenty of occasions to publicly pat himself on the back for having LGBT and minority representation only to kill off Lexa in a dumb way (fans knew she would leave but were hoping for something a little more dignified or badass than a stray bullet) and sideline fan-favourite Lincoln to a wordless jail cell all season.
Add the new rushed plotlines and characters without depth like Pike and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Lots of people tuned in from word of mouth because this show had turned into more than your average CW show (ie:pretty people with random character changes and plotlines ripped from a soap opera)...and I guessed they tuned out when things got too hokey.
The head-writer somehow forgot along the way that it takes more than sex, death and violence to make a mature tv show.

All the folks saying "Oh so X character has to be bulletproof for the SJWs?" are looking at it all wrong.
People stopped watching because they. got. screwed. over.
The fact that Lexa's death was written as such a crappy trope was just salt in the wound.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xoidanor posted:

That's true for all TV IV threads.

Except for the iZombie thread.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

n3wt posted:

Once again, it wasn't the death itself (which was pretty awful writing) but the way the showrunner actively and agressively courted the LGBT crowd on social networks teasing at a full season romance only to screw over his fanbase with what he thought was an **awesome** twist.
He took plenty of occasions to publicly pat himself on the back for having LGBT and minority representation only to kill off Lexa in a dumb way (fans knew she would leave but were hoping for something a little more dignified or badass than a stray bullet) and sideline fan-favourite Lincoln to a wordless jail cell all season.
Add the new rushed plotlines and characters without depth like Pike and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Lots of people tuned in from word of mouth because this show had turned into more than your average CW show (ie:pretty people with random character changes and plotlines ripped from a soap opera)...and I guessed they tuned out when things got too hokey.
The head-writer somehow forgot along the way that it takes more than sex, death and violence to make a mature tv show.

All the folks saying "Oh so X character has to be bulletproof for the SJWs?" are looking at it all wrong.
The fact that Lexa's death was written as such a crappy trope was just salt in the wound.

"I know the showrunner ~personally~ on TWITTER and he deceived me! I am the biggest fan can you believe he did that to me?! He owes me big time!!"

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

n3wt posted:

yep, this.

they had a person who worked on the show (shawna benson I think was her name?) who went to a large lesbian forum that constantly plugged the show because of its lgbt representation and told them they had nothing to worry about re: lexa dying. they handled it very, very poorly.

people are pissed they got played. pissing off the most loyal part of your fanbase is a dumb idea, especially when they are the main word of mouth advertising force behind your show.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Troposphere posted:

yep, this.

they had a person who worked on the show (shawna benson I think was her name?) who went to a large lesbian forum that constantly plugged the show because of its lgbt representation and told them they had nothing to worry about re: lexa dying. they handled it very, very poorly.

people are pissed they got played. pissing off the most loyal part of your fanbase is a dumb idea, especially when they are the main word of mouth advertising force behind your show.

Those people were not fans of the show though, they were fans of a character that had to leave the show one way or another anyway.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

BabyFur Denny posted:

Those people were not fans of the show though, they were fans of a character that had to leave the show one way or another anyway.

then they shouldn't have played her part up so much, advertised directly to them, went to their spaces to talk it up and tell them they had nothing to worry about, that they'd be happy with how it ended.

I have no doubt in my mind that there would have not been so much backlash if they didn't handle everything like they did. they knew she was dying when they did these things, and it was a mistake.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

Someone lied on the Internet, news at 10.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

BabyFur Denny posted:

Fans of a character who appeared in 13 out of the 36 episodes that had aired as of her death. A character who's entire job description was "Die and be replaced".

Honestly, the worst part of the fallout of this whole mess is that Clarke's bisexuality has been totally steamrolled over by the fans who are so desperately worried about representation.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

They were sold one thing and got another - so they quit. Happens all the time on TV.
When the creators of the show are crowing about how wonderful they are for representation and their awesome fleshed out characters then they not only *don't deliver* but kill off their lesbian warrior character in a lovely way and the one black dude of the main cast since season 1 is put in the naughty corner all season then shot in the head like a dog... the audience is going to feel a little bit cheated.

Again, the fans weren't expecting to be pandered to. They knew Lexa was leaving somehow. They knew this was a brutal show universe.
Stray bullet straight 3 minutes after finally getting some happiness was crap writing. Teasing at Lexa being in the finale so you can pull an *awesome twist lol* is a dick move that is going to annoy your fans.
Said fans WOULD have stuck around if this season had given them a reason to: Farm station: who are they, why should we care? Arcadia has a tense election: offscreen. New commander Ontari? meh. Trikru? all killed offscreen with no emotional fallout.

Game of Thrones saw a drop in interest and ratings last season by having all the characters dispersed or killed: their main draw for this season is character reunions.
Sleepy Hollow just killed off what the viewers felt was the main character: they're going to have to haul rear end to get people to tune in next season.
The Family stopped being a character driven show but a series of "twists", the viewership plummeted.
The writers of Criminal Minds thought people were tuning in for their "wicked sick" murderer plots and axed several of the FBI agents crucial to the team dynamic then had to write them back in (or replace them) after the realized the public was watching this for the agents' characters and interaction.

In this case, the show runners were specifically reaching out to the twitter audience, selling themselves as one thing and delivering another.
The fact that it was minorities getting screwed over seems to surprise the rest of the world because they didn't notice the big deal.
If a major character on The Walking Dead was left with no lines all season then killed off and other fan favourite choked on an apple core unceremoniously and the others were acting out of character then people would notice and be upset.
It's not pandering to expect quality character writing from a show that lured you in with quality character writing.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 24, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the main character is bisexual, which is still more than anything you could say about the vast majority of other shows

just because you have LGBT characters doesn't mean they're entitled to awesome deaths, sorry

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just skimmed through a fan forum for The 100. Specifically their Clexa thread. :stare: I'm not sure why I did that. But they're arguing about the ratings slide as well, so we're well on our way to "I don't watch Legends of Tomorrow because there's nothing for ships there" status in this thread. :barf: Apparently some people are trying to blame LoT's poor performance for The 100's ratings? I mean, it could be a factor. :shrug:

I think it's probably a combination of the Lexa death, Pike, and the fact that people tend to start letting shows pile up on their DVRs around the middle of the season and then watch them all in a rush at the end.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the main character is a bisexual who is always miserable and everyone she loves dies because of her. that's not the best representation.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Troposphere posted:

the main character is a bisexual who is always miserable and everyone she loves dies because of her. that's not the best representation.

Finn made his own choices. :colbert: He died because he was a lovely person. Clarke just saved him from hours of agony ahead of time.

edit: Wells died because of his dad, and a crazy 12 year old. Although, was it Clarke or Bellamy who told her to confront her fears? I can't remember anymore.

Clarke's dad died because of her own mother, who turned him in to Jaha. Not unlike Monty's mom who turned HIM in to the Chancellor. It's ingrained into these Arkers to turn on each other for the greater good of the survival of the whole.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Troposphere posted:

:lol:

some people are impossible to please i guess

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Astroman posted:

Because tumblirites don't give a gently caress about characters they don't want to gently caress.

I hope they bring Lexa back. So they can kill her again

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

am0kgonzo posted:

Because tumblirites don't give a gently caress about characters they don't want to gently caress.

I hope they bring Lexa back. So they can kill her again

you're in luck because going by the spoilers thats exactly what's
going to happen in the finale

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

the main character is bisexual, which is still more than anything you could say about the vast majority of other shows

just because you have LGBT characters doesn't mean they're entitled to awesome deaths, sorry

Just imagine how cool it would have been to have Ontari kill Lexa in a badass fight later in the season upping the stakes for Arkadia and how much cred that would have given the show. Imagine if Pike had been handed over to the grounders and made to fight for his life then pulled a dirty move and shot Lexa with a hidden piece.
Imagine a million ways that don't involve a stupid stray bullet 3 minutes after hooking up. Imagine pretty much anything more relevant to this show's universe than a stray bullet.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

n3wt posted:

Just imagine how cool it would have been to have Ontari kill Lexa in a badass fight later in the season upping the stakes for Arkadia and how much cred that would have given the show. Imagine if Pike had been handed over to the grounders and made to fight for his life then pulled a dirty move and shot Lexa with a hidden piece.
Imagine a million ways that don't involve a stupid stray bullet 3 minutes after hooking up. Imagine pretty much anything more relevant to this show's universe than a stray bullet.

I still can't believe they didn't have Pike kill her to tie the two plot threads together and get Clarke back in the action. or even something like Alie taking over and forcing the chip out of her. instead we got woops your father figure accidentally shot you right after you had sex with your girlfriend he didn't approve of!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

n3wt posted:

she was already a badass when alive. i have trouble caring that she died in a non-badass way.

in fact i kind of appreciated the irony of it. she beat the prince in a duel but died to a stray bullet. :)

besides, it is important that it was titus who killed her (another point of irony). it directly led to titus's redemption arc and sacrifice.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I just like this gif. :shrug:

Also, it was Bellamy:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hollylolly posted:

I just like this gif. :shrug:

Also, it was Bellamy:

how old is the actor anyway? maybe it's the lighting, but he looks noticeably younger in the bottom ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

enraged_camel posted:

besides, it is important that it was titus who killed her (another point of irony). it directly led to titus's redemption arc and sacrifice.

Titus's arc doesn't matter because he wasn't a sexy lesbian. Keep up, Camel.

• Locked thread