Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think we have to accept that the days of having diverse, alien companions that aren't from 21st century London or the UK in general is over. They might range in age from 18-40, they could be low income or doctors, but that's the range. I think they'll always be women too, because of some bullshit demographical balancing where if the Doctor is a man the companion must be a woman (which is pretty regressive and cis-sexist if you think about it). If it's a man, he has to be the love interest of the female companion.

The only exception to this was Captain Jack, but he was really only around for a couple of stories as part of the regular crew. Before that, you have to go back to Turlough and Nyssa for examples of aliens and men who weren't boyfriends. In a way, I guess we can't complain because the companions who were from other planets or times or were robots were exceptions to the rule. You had:

-Susan (not much of an example, since she was already travelling with the Doctor)

-Vicki, Steven--now these aren't great examples because while they were from other times, they weren't played as too very different. Other than a few "well in MY time, we danced like this, and in the 20th century you danced like THAT" references they were very much like mainstream 60s people. At least, the fish out of water aspect was a lot less explored than it would be today

-Katrina, Sara--not even worth mentioning, since they were barely on. Katrina was, IIRC, actually killed off because the producers saw her origins and worldview as a limitation

-Jamie, Victoria, and Zoe--they are much better examples, as they were very different, were from very different eras, and their reactions to things were a bit more deeply explored as a function of their origins than Vicki and Steven. But still not in as much depth as they'd be today

-Leela and the Romanas--probably the gold standard of "different" companions, as their otherworldliness was actually a plot function in numerous stories. They were alien to the viewer, but also relatable and beloved.

-K-9 and Chameleon--different, but underused. Really more "gimmick" than anything else

-Adric, Nyssa and Turlough--last of the aliens, but underserved by being part of a huge TARDIS crew

and that's it. Out of 40 onscreen companions who were onscreen more than one episode, only 15 were aliens, from other eras than the show's production era, or robots. And it hasn't really happened in force in over 30 years, I think we have to accept that even though Moffat was willing to throw things back by casting an older Doctor, casting a non modern companion is a bridge too far for him (or his bosses at the BBC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So the new season is going to about the Bill in a Police Box? :downsrim:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Short Synopsis: The Doctor goes to the Po' House.

this is probably a story I shall listen to.... never more.

You're a monster.

Jerusalem posted:

• The "monster" resolution. When the Doctor figures out who is responsible for the murders of the prisoner's accomplices, and how and why that has happened, he comes to a conclusion over what should be done. That involves giving her a spaceship and her freedom and while that may be for the greater good of the universe, it effective rewards a monster. The prisoner not only admits to the crimes she was accused of committing, but shows zero remorse and insists what she did was utterly justifiable (here's a hint: it wasn't) but everybody seems so concerned with the immediate threat that they don't consider or even pay lipservice to the fact that there is a complete lack of rehabilitation. It's a nasty little oversight that just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

He was doing this for the last survivors of the planet that were in her consciousness, though, not because of the immediate threat. This is absolutely consistent with the Doctor's morality - he admits it's not an ideal solution, but he's the Doctor, not Batman. He helps the innocent and isn't really concerned with punishing the guilty.

EDIT - Besides, it's entirely a-Poe-priate for this story to have the mass murderer spend the rest of her life sharing her mind with her victims.

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 24, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jivjov posted:

Dim light, dark clothes, the hair....

A kneejerk reaction of "emo" was super common

A few idiots yes. And vocal ones. But not a normal reaction

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cerv posted:

A few idiots yes. And vocal ones. But not a normal reaction

If you have any faith in humanity, don't go look in the incarnation of this thread when that photo was released. "Emo" is a hell of a lot nicer than some folks were saying.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Twelfth Doctor: *looks up from reading this thread in 2010 with intense frown* but... Matt Smith doesn't look like a bundle of sticks

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Definitely getting some Donna-esque vibes off the new companion, so I'm already sold on her. She's been more interesting than Clara ever was already.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish tweeted this

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/724325901337505792

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After The War posted:

EDIT - Besides, it's entirely a-Poe-priate for this story to have the mass murderer spend the rest of her life sharing her mind with her victims.

Actually I thought from what he said that once she gets to an inhabited planet, the minds of the "survivors" would disperse amongst the new population and be so diluted that they wouldn't be able to affect anything and especially not manifest physically etc? So she'd basically have even that punishment listed from her.

I agree it is in keeping with the Doctor's concern to be for saving people rather than punishing, but this particular character is such a smug, unrepentant monster that it just sat badly with me the way they effectively get rewarded.

Oh man, this could be excellent. Real horror stuff and I think in an audio format it could work magnificently. Please nail it, Big Finish!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

If you have any faith in humanity, don't go look in the incarnation of this thread when that photo was released. "Emo" is a hell of a lot nicer than some folks were saying.

I will fully admit that I was part of hating on Matt Smith. A lesson learned, because he's one of my favorite Doctors now.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Both the Weeping Angels and the Silence in an audio format could really go either way. I could pretty easily see them being awful, with characters shouting "I am now looking at the monster!", but at the same time maybe it'll be effective atmospheric horror.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the Silence are far easier to handle in an audio format, certainly far more than the Weeping Angels since they rely so heavily on the visual of their sudden shifts in position and the shock value of that. I think Big Finish has a hell of a job ahead of them to get the latter right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'm really looking forward to seeing what BF do with the Angels, as they're probably the most 'visual' enemy that Who has. They don't really talk (apart from Angel Bob), and they rely on the camera playing along with the statue game, so to have them in an audio format is going to be incredibly challenging. I hope BF can rise to the occasion.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

The_Doctor posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what BF do with the Angels, as they're probably the most 'visual' enemy that Who has. They don't really talk (apart from Angel Bob), and they rely on the camera playing along with the statue game, so to have them in an audio format is going to be incredibly challenging. I hope BF can rise to the occasion.

The Angels are actually completely invincible in audio format because nobody can actually look at them :v:

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Jerusalem posted:

Welp I already like her.

Farewell, sweet Shona :unsmith:

Why do people think she was up to be the next companion over any other random character who appeared over the last two seasons? Is the she very famous? I guess she was on game of thrones and they tend to share actors...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Because the same thing happened to Catherine Tate as Donna, and she and Faye Marsay are both really cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

Why do people think she was up to be the next companion over any other random character who appeared over the last two seasons? Is the she very famous? I guess she was on game of thrones and they tend to share actors...

She was a fun character, had good chemistry with everybody on the show, and the episode even ended with her eagerly trying to encourage everybody to stay in touch/keep in contact somehow when they all woke up. It was never very likely to happen, but as far as one-off characters go she was one of the few where I thought,"I wish she could have stuck around longer."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I was listening to Memory Lane last night and I have to laugh at this little segment...

quote:

Kim: There she is! My ship! The Led Zeppelin IV!

The Doctor: …I’m sorry?

Kim: …there was a public vote to name her.

The Doctor: Well, that’s democracy for you.

Yes, Doctor Who predicted Boaty McBoatface.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

She was a fun character, had good chemistry with everybody on the show, and the episode even ended with her eagerly trying to encourage everybody to stay in touch/keep in contact somehow when they all woke up. It was never very likely to happen, but as far as one-off characters go she was one of the few where I thought,"I wish she could have stuck around longer."

I remember watching that episode and I wasn't struck at all by a sense that she was being set up as a potential future companion; I actually thought that's what they were doing with Natalie Gumede's character.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember watching that episode and I wasn't struck at all by a sense that she was being set up as a potential future companion; I actually thought that's what they were doing with Natalie Gumede's character.

It wasn't so much that they were going for it, more that it seemed like a natural fit.

Well, that's autocracy for you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, for myself I didn't think,"Well Shona is obviously being set up as a future companion" it was,"Wow, Shona would be a cool future companion when they're in the market for a new one, that would be nice if that happened."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

I was listening to Memory Lane last night and I have to laugh at this little segment...

The degree to which the British press have gone "This shows the INHERENT HUMOUR AND IMAGINATION of the BRITISH PUBLIC" when it's what happens on every open internet poll ever is quite something

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex is working on the new Black Mirror season

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

I want there to be some future ship called Boaty McBoatface in a later episode for Capaldi to have a dumbfounded reaction to, only for the ashamed crewmember to explain it came from a database of famous Earth ships.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The degree to which the British press have gone "This shows the INHERENT HUMOUR AND IMAGINATION of the BRITISH PUBLIC" when it's what happens on every open internet poll ever is quite something

They attribute those same qualities to the public as a whole every time any two people do anything mildly mischievous which shows the inherent hackiness and dullness of the British press.

Edit:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I want there to be some future ship called Boaty McBoatface in a later episode for Capaldi to have a dumbfounded reaction to, only for the ashamed crewmember to explain it came from a database of famous Earth ships.

That'd be dated now, let alone next year.

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 25, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

echoplex is working on the new Black Mirror season

Good for him (her?), they do great work.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Seems like a cross between Donna and Lucie Miller, which is an excellent thing to be. So far I like what I see.

God I really hope she's from the 80s and there's basically no chance that'll actually happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Stabbatical posted:

That'd be dated now, let alone next year.

That's just how you have to roll with Boaty McBoatface. The best part is just how painfully lovely a joke it is, so it being dated AND unfunny only helps it as an anti-joke.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mortanis posted:

God I really hope she's from the 80s and there's basically no chance that'll actually happen.

Me too, and they have said they wanted to go in "a different direction" with this companion, but they always say that. The 80s outfit will probably be due to some trip they're about to take in which the TARDIS accidentally lands in the 3080s :v:

Either way, I like the two minutes we've seen of her. Her way of questioning the reality of the Doctor Who Universe kind of cheerfully, encouraging the Doctor to laugh with her is not "adoring companion," but it's not the less than subtle "I'm not an adoring companion! I'm amazing! And talented!" either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I love the idea of one Dalek back home absolutely loving FURIOUS(er) because it got stuck with two plungers instead of a gun.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
alright, the Girl Who Asked Too Many Questions is okay right now but what's her super-destiny THIS time

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

alright, the Girl Who Asked Too Many Questions is okay right now but what's her super-destiny THIS time

She asks the question of the universe

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Acne Rain posted:

Literally none of the companions have actually had "destinies" beyond what they bring about through their own actions. I'm sick to poo poo of this "why are they all so special" garbage. It's indistinguishable from "Rey is a mary sue".

God.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Literally none of the companions have actually had "destinies" beyond what they bring about through their own actions. I'm sick to poo poo of this "why are they all so special" garbage. It's indistinguishable from "Rey is a mary sue".

God.

Oh come on, each of the major female companions (except Martha) have had a predestined event laid out for them by the show runner. Rose was the Bad Wolf. Donna was the "Doctor Donna." Amy was "the Girl who Waited" (and the mother of River). And Clara was "the Impossible Girl."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They had ARCS, yes, except that with the ARGUABLE exception of Amy's crack-adjacent childhood, all of those "destinies" were nothing of the sort. For instance, Clara's "impossibility" (as well as the "Bad Wolf" stuff with Rose) is the product of her own actions, and in Clara's case the little monicker is inextricably tied to Eleven's explicitly reductive and patronizing attitude towards her.

I'm so goddamn TIRED of having to explain this basic goddamn poo poo over and over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

They had ARCS, yes, except that with the ARGUABLE exception of Amy's crack-adjacent childhood, all of those "destinies" were nothing of the sort. For instance, Clara's "impossibility" (as well as the "Bad Wolf" stuff with Rose) is the product of her own actions, and in Clara's case the little monicker is inextricably tied to Eleven's explicitly reductive and patronizing attitude towards her.

I'm so goddamn TIRED of having to explain this basic goddamn poo poo over and over again.

Okay, in show it is their own actions but the producers of the show set these arcs up and hit us over the head with how special each of them are, especially Clara.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Me too, and they have said they wanted to go in "a different direction" with this companion, but they always say that. The 80s outfit will probably be due to some trip they're about to take in which the TARDIS accidentally lands in the 3080s :v:

Either way, I like the two minutes we've seen of her. Her way of questioning the reality of the Doctor Who Universe kind of cheerfully,

I love this. I was listening to the last couple of Lucie Miller stories, with Susan and Alex and the Daleks, and when they tell her how the Daleks want to put a big engine on the Earth she asks the obvious loving questions: "WAIT, THAT'S PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED, WON'T THAT SCREW UP GRAVITY AND THE ATMOSPHERE AND poo poo?!" :supaburn:

You know, the questions that the writers and producers who came up with that idea back in the 60s probably never thought of...

So I hope we see more of it!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You shouldn't really judge a work by author intention, because that's a super dumb way to critique media. At best it's supposition and at worst outright deception.

Clara was bad in Series Seven because "The Impossible Girl" was the only thing that was written about her in her first season, not that she was "The Impossible Girl". In contrast, basically everything about Amy's setup in Series Five and the cracks added to and made one of the best seasons ever made better because of the entire predestination angle.

Essentially, well-written ideas are effective, and badly-written ones aren't, and reducing it to "characters with predestined arcs are bad" (especially when the antithesis of that idea, Martha, is the worst or second-worst Companion of the revival) is reductive and silly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

You shouldn't really judge a work by author intention, because that's a super dumb way to critique media. At best it's supposition and at worst outright deception.

Clara was bad in Series Seven because "The Impossible Girl" was the only thing that was written about her in her first season, not that she was "The Impossible Girl". In contrast, basically everything about Amy's setup in Series Five and the cracks added to and made one of the best seasons ever made better because of the entire predestination angle.

Essentially, well-written ideas are effective, and badly-written ones aren't, and reducing it to "characters with predestined arcs are bad" (especially when the antithesis of that idea, Martha, is the worst or second-worst Companion of the revival) is reductive and silly.

I never said a single one of those characters was bad nor did I say that giving a character a predestined fate is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I never said a single one of those characters was bad nor did I say that giving a character a predestined fate is a bad thing.

And there was a reason I didn't quote you. It was a generalized statement.

• Locked thread