Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please do not cultural cuisine shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Nah the noodles for soba are made with buckwheat which tastes uhhh pretty different from wheat.

This just reminded me of the time I went to a restaurant and ordered pad thai and got pad thai flavor on spaghetti noodles. Not even linguine or fettuccine to emulate the flat rice noodle. Just spaghetti.

Never went back.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
And now I retroactively understand that one gag from Nichijou.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

And now I retroactively understand that one gag from Nichijou.

eeehh?!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

This just reminded me of the time I went to a restaurant and ordered pad thai and got pad thai flavor on spaghetti noodles. Not even linguine or fettuccine to emulate the flat rice noodle. Just spaghetti.

Never went back.

That's probably the most apt example. Expecting lo mein or pad Thai and getting spaghetti

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Never went back.

:psyduck:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

This is definitely one of those cultural things that I don't get because it's outside my experience. Just the thought of eating a bunch of cold noodles sounds :barf: to me.

Nah, this is just a matter of taste rather than some major cultural divide. There's plenty of delicious western recipes for cold pasta salad with various kinds of noodles. I can attest that even plain spaghetti noodles, freshly cooked and then chilled, have a gratifying texture, although rather bland of course until mixed with a sauce.

Someone else mentioned sogginess, but in my experience most kinds of noodles- be they rice, wheat, or whatever- don't really get soggy just from being put in water, unless they're already horribly overcooked. A lot of people do like to horribly overcook their noodles though, especially here in America. :sigh:

Cathair fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 21, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man, I was tsukemen now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cathair posted:

Nah, this is just a matter of taste rather than some major cultural divide. There's plenty of delicious western recipes for cold pasta salad with various kinds of noodles. I can attest that even plain spaghetti noodles, freshly cooked and then chilled, have a gratifying texture, although rather bland of course until mixed with a sauce.

Someone else mentioned sogginess, but in my experience most kinds of noodles- be they rice, wheat, or whatever- don't really get soggy just from being put in water, unless they're already horribly overcooked. A lot of people do like to horribly overcook their noodles though, especially here in America. :sigh:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that cold noodles are only a Japanese thing. It's just not something I've ever personally been exposed to.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No pasta salad ever?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does pasta salad even count as "salad"? It's all carbs and not much veg!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Is egg a salad?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
That's american style salad so instead of vegetables, its mayonnaise/other fatty dressing

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
They've announced the actors/actresses who will be portraying the main characters in the stage play. I like the casting choices and I hope it gets a disc release so I can buy it. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-22/my-monster-secret-actually-i-am-stage-play-cast-unveiled/.101348

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Kanos posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that cold noodles are only a Japanese thing. It's just not something I've ever personally been exposed to.
Considering how hot and humid it gets in Japan during the summer, somen is the perfect thing to eat for dinner.
I understood this chapter perfectly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fellis posted:

That's american style salad so instead of vegetables, its mayonnaise/other fatty dressing

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Revolver Bunker posted:

They've announced the actors/actresses who will be portraying the main characters in the stage play. I like the casting choices and I hope it gets a disc release so I can buy it. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-22/my-monster-secret-actually-i-am-stage-play-cast-unveiled/.101348

I like the casting choices as well, but the wigs seem a little fake: guess it's hard to make wigs of that color not look unreal.

Took me a while to realize who Charisma Chijo was.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm actually not sure who Cool Chijo is...

Also, dat Shiho and Oka. They're pretty good.

Best part? The have to do "/ Actually, I Am" because the official title is so bad.
:allears:

Edit: also prime opportunity missed, they should've just taken a picture of glasses on a table for Fuku-chan.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 23, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Does pasta salad even count as "salad"? It's all carbs and not much veg!

Originally, "salad" referred to food preservation using salt. (It's apparently a word with an Italian root.) So strangely enough, "fruit salad" is not salad, but stuff like pasta-, egg-, herring- or flesh salad are all salad. :shrug:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Egg IS a salad!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Libluini posted:

Originally, "salad" referred to food preservation using salt. (It's apparently a word with an Italian root.) So strangely enough, "fruit salad" is not salad, but stuff like pasta-, egg-, herring- or flesh salad are all salad. :shrug:

Huh! Interesting. Well I suppose that'd be true if we're being truly etymologically pedantic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Huh! Interesting. Well I suppose that'd be true if we're being truly etymologically pedantic.

Eh, I grabbed that from wikipedia, so it's not really pedantic. Could even be totally wrong for all I know.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm actually not sure who Cool Chijo is...

Shiho's mom, no?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kyte posted:

Shiho's mom, no?

That's Charisma Chijo.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hence my confusion.

Edit: trying to parse this. So, Cool Chijo translates to Cool Pervert, right? I know nothing about Japanese, but that's easy enough to get from the Charismatic Pervert' name. Have ... we had an incarnation of coolness in the manga yet? Anyone who's up with the raws know?

Maybe it's a play-specific character?

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 24, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh man.

Guys, I picked up the official vol 1 a little while ago, and everything was going great.

All that nostalgia: "Oh man, this art style. IT'S SO SUPER SRS! Youko actually looks like a 'Cool Beauty', and Asahi looks kinda built! Hahahaha." And then I got to Youko's accent. Why. Dear god why. I didn't remember this from being told, so if you don't remember: They went with the Valley Girl accent. For a girl who speaks a countryside accent*.

I can't. I just can't.

But I still have to buy all the volumes, because I have to.

* Edit: I know Kansai isn't actually a countryside accent, but it's traditionally translated as more of a countryside American English accent, kinda southern, but still not out of the norm. This just doesn't fit :(

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 24, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Uh, Kansai-ben is far from a countryside accent. The whole Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe area is pretty metropolitan.

Countryside would be something like Tohoku.

In terms of cultural stereotypes, Osaka-ben should technically be something like a New York City accent.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tarezax posted:

Uh, Kansai-ben is far from a countryside accent. The whole Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe area is pretty metropolitan.

Countryside would be something like Tohoku.

See edit above. I'm a few glasses of whiskey in, so the words, they do not flow very well.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Labrys of Persona 4 Arena had her Kansai-ben translated into a thick Brooklyn accent. A Youko from the very heart of New York would also be a cute Youko.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 24, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think a southern drawl is often used for kansai accent because the closest American parallel to the kansai/kantou divide is the north/south divide. Also it's what Azumanga Daioh did, so it can't be wrong.

Youko is literally from the countryside, though. A city accent is a pretty odd choice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I think a southern drawl is often used for kansai accent because the closest American parallel to the kansai/kantou divide is the north/south divide. Also it's what Azumanga Daioh did, so it can't be wrong.

Youko is literally from the countryside, though. A city accent is a pretty odd choice.

Nah, the Kansai stereotype is 'loud-mouthed, aggressive, money-grubbing city slicker'. Hence the joke about Osaka from Azumanga, who is none of those things. Brooklyn works pretty well.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, the Kansai stereotype is 'loud-mouthed, aggressive, money-grubbing city slicker'. Hence the joke about Osaka from Azumanga, who is none of those things. Brooklyn works pretty well.

Uh, I didn't mention any stereotype or say anything against the use of a Brooklyn accent, which makes this "nah" pretty confusing. I'm just saying there is a linguistic and cultural divide between the north and the south in America, and this is the closest thing America has to the divide between Kansai and Kanto. Hence it makes sense that it's often used.

Also you're wrong. The stereotype you mentioned is specifically Osaka, not kansai in general.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Uh, I didn't mention any stereotype or say anything against the use of a Brooklyn accent, which makes this "nah" pretty confusing. I'm just saying there is a linguistic and cultural divide between the north and the south in America, and this is the closest thing America has to the divide between Kansai and Kanto. Hence it makes sense that it's often used.

Also you're wrong. The stereotype you mentioned is specifically Osaka, not kansai in general.

You said that the closest analogy is the American north-south divide, which is true geographically, but not so much in cultural stereotype. Brooklyn usually fits a little better than Deep South redneck.

Mind you, Kyoto's down that way as well, and that's a place with a more rural (yes, I know it's a huge city, but...), old-fashioned highbrow stereotype. Maybe a 'Southern aristocrat' accent might work for there? That might work decently well with Youko's family.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 24, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
She should have a vampire accent!!!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So then like The Count from Sesame Street?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She should speak entirely in wingdings

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Texas oil tycoon: shrewd, loud, assertive, and yes still rooted in a rural sounding accent because that is a part of it. Which is exactly why they went with a Dallas accent for Osaka in Azumanga.

But come on now, regional accents don't map one to one. Like, at all.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
For which region of Japan would it be appropriate to use an English or Australian accent?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Y'all want some Russian chou? It's a joke, son, y'see...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

She should speak entirely in comic sans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Agronox posted:

She should have a vampire accent!!!

Maybe I'll start putting 'blah' at the end of her sentences, blah.

• Locked thread