Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

So for my money, stuff like Anakin Skylwalker being a confused teen rather than a stone cold badass, and the Republic being morally fraught, and the Jedi going hog-wild as mercenaries/Warcraft III hero units, is way too consistent to plausibly be an accident. It could, in principle, be some kind of incredible multi-stage top-down goof, that ran for two or three movies in a row, but you might as well say the same thing about Vader turning out to be Luke's father. I'm sure it disappointed you that a bunch of characters you hoped would be smart and cool weren't very smart and cool, but that's your own problem.

The thing is, whether or not it is, you've already ceded all the ground that matters. Who on earth could possibly give a poo poo about authorial intent? What is this, that comic in which it turns out Poe really just loved ravens? If it turned out that George Lucas had literally been flipping coins to decide every single element of the prequels, Two-Face style, all you'd get out of me (and I think most regulars here) would be a half-hearted shrug.

Intent is relevant because the debate boils down to this: Critics say everybody is dumb and boring and irrational and hypocritical and morally incompetent, and defenders say yes, they are, but that's intentional! It's a commentary! It is not commentary. It was not intentional. The film was lovely not as a smart and cynical subversion but by accident and incompetence; therefore, the film is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tezzor posted:

Intent is relevant because the debate boils down to this: Critics say everybody is dumb and boring and irrational and hypocritical and morally incompetent, and defenders say yes, they are, but that's intentional! It's a commentary! It is not commentary. It was not intentional. The film was lovely not as a smart and cynical subversion but by accident and incompetence; therefore, the film is lovely.

Intention doesn't magically cause things to be good or bad. If Poe had upended his inkpot onto some paper and it randomly landed in the shape of "The Raven", The Raven would still be a good poem.

If someone says "What gives, I thought the Jedi were good guys, why do Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jin come off like mob enforcers?" And they're told, "They're supposed to, because the Jedi are morally dubious in these times," they are not actually being instructed to update their mental image of a 70-year old man who lives in Modesto. They're being told about the movie. In the movies, the Jedi have lost their way. That's true no matter what the actors and scriptwriters thought they were doing. Now, the idea that a tornado happened to assemble a 747 w/r/t the Jedi being fuckups is kind of funny, I'll admit. But it's hard to believe, and doesn't really appeal to someone who doesn't have some preexisting axe to grind.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Serious inquiry that may be related to star wars slave armies. Are modern day conscripted and drafted militaries considered slave armies?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

UmOk posted:

Serious inquiry that may be related to star wars slave armies. Are modern day conscripted and drafted militaries considered slave armies?

Not by anyone in the political mainstream. Conscription service is generally seen as an obligation that comes with citizenship, like paying taxes and voting (in some countries).

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ferrinus posted:

Intention doesn't magically cause things to be good or bad. If Poe had upended his inkpot onto some paper and it randomly landed in the shape of "The Raven", The Raven would still be a good poem.

If someone says "What gives, I thought the Jedi were good guys, why do Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jin come off like mob enforcers?" And they're told, "They're supposed to, because the Jedi are morally dubious in these times," they are not actually being instructed to update their mental image of a 70-year old man who lives in Modesto. They're being told about the movie. In the movies, the Jedi have lost their way. That's true no matter what the actors and scriptwriters thought they were doing. Now, the idea that a tornado happened to assemble a 747 w/r/t the Jedi being fuckups is kind of funny, I'll admit. But it's hard to believe, and doesn't really appeal to someone who doesn't have some preexisting axe to grind.

Born in the USA is supposed to be a pro-war song. That's true no matter what Bruce Springsteen says about it. See, I'm smarter than Tezzor now too!

You can't use "supposed to" and "true" in any statement that ignores authorial intent.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

Born in the USA is supposed to be a pro-war song. That's true no matter what Bruce Springsteen says about it. See, I'm smarter than Tezzor now too!

You can't use "supposed to" and "true" in any statement that ignores authorial intent.

ok i'll buy, it now back it up.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Baronash posted:

Uh, yeah, you can.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronash posted:

As Elfgames notes, there is a difference between truth and bullshit, and people can tell when you're fronting.

You have a responsibility to write truthfully and accurately.

That is the responsibility Tezzor shirks by deferring to Lucas in all matters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Baronash posted:

Thought experiment: Bruce Springsteen himself avows repeatedly and consistently that Born in the USA is a pro-war song. He never says otherwise to his dying day.

Is Born in the USA a pro-war song now?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tezzor posted:

I'm not engaging this line of questioning, it is a trick, and not relevant.
Ok then, what is your favorite anime?

Get an axe

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Not by anyone in the political mainstream. Conscription service is generally seen as an obligation that comes with citizenship, like paying taxes and voting (in some countries).

I am not condoning conscription, whether in Star Wars or on Earth, but couldn't that apply to the droid and clone armies?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Baronash posted:

In addition to the points already brought up against this position, films don't really have singular "authors" like say novels usually do.

A film's meaning comes from the synthesis of the authorial intentions, the actions of the people (actors etc.) who work to bring those intentions to life, and the audience's reactions based on their own biases and cultural baggage.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 24, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

You guys asked for it. Anime.

Kudos for this excellent and informative post. I've always had an interest in the UC Gundams, even though I've only ever seen the original.

It's really fascinating how F91 attempted to deescalate the scale of the conflicts. This is something that a lot of fiction and, more specifically, a lot of war fiction seems to have trouble with. Most of the Gundam series that came after F91, as an example, feature conflict on at least a global scale, and often climax with threats to all human life.

Star Wars has a similar problem. The Deathstar already had enough firepower to destroy a planet, and then they built an even bigger Deathstar. The latest Deathstar analog can destroy five planets a shot--and from the other side of the galaxy.

If later movies continue the trend of larger and larger Deathstars, then whats the end result? More over, what effect will that have on the story?

When the Deathstar destroyed Alderaan it seems like a tragedy, millions of lives taken in an instant! Later, Star Killer Base destroys five planets and nobody cares outside of how it effects themselves.

If this trend continues, the end result is the Killer Death Murder Machine destroying the whole galaxy and no one noticing.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

UmOk posted:

I am not condoning conscription, whether in Star Wars or on Earth, but couldn't that apply to the droid and clone armies?

Close but this isn't quite there. The clones, much like the droids, are born into their service. Nether are viewed as anything but a tool to be used, there's no thought given to their personhood for conscription to take place. However, how they are treated and how they function within society is learned from the Jedi Order and by extension, the Republic.

"Had he been born in the Republic, we would have identified him early. The Force is unusually strong with him, that much is clear. Who is his father?" - Qui-Gon Jinn

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

But if someone says, what gives, I thought the Jedi were good guys, and it turns out that the author wrote them as good guys and tried to make them good guys and solely by systemic incompetence they came off as mob enforcers that means the film failed at what it was trying to do and is a bad film. It is not randomness, as with the 747 analogy. It is the result of systems that took an overrated hack who made some good things as a community effort, removed his collaborators and gave him absolute power free from criticism. It is not randomness, but its opposite: destiny. It could have ended no other way.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 24, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lord Krangdar posted:

In addition to the points already brought up against this position, films don't really have singular "authors" like say novels usually do.

A film's meaning comes from the synthesis of the authorial intentions, the actions of the people (actors etc.) who work to bring those intentions to life, and the audience's reactions based on their own biases and cultural baggage.

Yeah you can't just go off the authorial intentions. You must also include the statements of the actors and artists involved, none of whom contradict the author's claims and in fact bolster them at every turn. Then when considering if these films were poo poo and failures we must look at the audience's reactions to them, which are, hold on *opens manilla envelope and immediately starts screaming as my face melts off like wax*

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 24, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Thought experiment: Bruce Springsteen himself avows repeatedly and consistently that Born in the USA is a pro-war song. He never says otherwise to his dying day.

Is Born in the USA a pro-war song now?

All that this would mean is that Bruce Springsteen is some kind of incredible idiot who tried to make a pro-war song and failed spectacularly

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tezzor posted:

But if someone says, what gives, I thought the Jedi were good guys, and it turns out that the author wrote them as good guys and tried to make them good guys and solely by systemic incompetence they came off as mob enforcers that means the film failed at what it was trying to do and is a bad film. It is not randomness, as with the 747 analogy. It is the result of systems that took an overrated hack who made some good things as a community effort, removed his collaborators and gave him absolute power free from criticism. It is not randomness, but its opposite: destiny. It could have ended no other way.

Yes, yes, I watched the RLM reviews too.

Your problem here - as is that of much of the reviews - is that you've invented, in your head, what the movie was "trying to do" because you aren't able to found your criticisms in anything real. It's like, to continue an analogy, saying that the Raven is pretty poo poo for not including any owls.

In the prequels, the Jedi are good guys, but the Jedi end up acting as mob enforcers and mercenary warlords because they've become complacent in their power and otherwise lost their way. That's why you get a tension between their ideals and intentions on one hand and the practical results of their actions on the other. Since the prequels are about the dissolution of the Jedi order and the downfall of the Republic, it's not really correct to say that they failed at what they were trying to do. They succeed at showing us the downfall of these edifices which are supposed to be good but have gone astray. In fact, it would make a lot less sense if the Jedi and Republic were completely blameless in their respective downfalls!

You're saying that this is some kind of accident - that the Jedi were supposed to be, I don't know, hypercompetent paragons of virtue, but by sheer incompetence they were portrayed again and again and again as arrogant and complacent, because this Lucas guy just tried his hardest but oops, he slipped on a banana peel and wrote a scene in which two jedi intimidate some fishmen, whoops, he stepped on a rake and put Yoda on a troop transport, etc. It's stupid.

Same thought experiment I gave to the other guy: you comb over all the prequel commentary and every comment by George Lucas sounds like a Cnut post. All you can find are quotes of Lucas talking about how he wanted the Jedi to look morally dubious and out-of-touch. The actual movies do not change. What is your conclusion?

Tezzor posted:

All that this would mean is that Bruce Springsteen is some kind of incredible idiot who tried to make a pro-war song and failed spectacularly

So it wouldn't mean that Born in the USA is a pro-war song.

So Bruce Springsteen's intent is immaterial to the content or quality of Born in the USA.

This isn't hard.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, yes, I watched the RLM reviews too.

Your problem here - as is that of much of the reviews - is that you've invented, in your head, what the movie was "trying to do" because you aren't able to found your criticisms in anything real. It's like, to continue an analogy, saying that the Raven is pretty poo poo for not including any owls.

In the prequels, the Jedi are good guys, but the Jedi end up acting as mob enforcers and mercenary warlords because they've become complacent in their power and otherwise lost their way. That's why you get a tension between their ideals and intentions on one hand and the practical results of their actions on the other. Since the prequels are about the dissolution of the Jedi order and the downfall of the Republic, it's not really correct to say that they failed at what they were trying to do. They succeed at showing us the downfall of these edifices which are supposed to be good but have gone astray. In fact, it would make a lot less sense if the Jedi and Republic were completely blameless in their respective downfalls!

You're saying that this is some kind of accident - that the Jedi were supposed to be, I don't know, hypercompetent paragons of virtue, but by sheer incompetence they were portrayed again and again and again as arrogant and complacent, because this Lucas guy just tried his hardest but oops, he slipped on a banana peel and wrote a scene in which two jedi intimidate some fishmen, whoops, he stepped on a rake and put Yoda on a troop transport, etc. It's stupid.

Same thought experiment I gave to the other guy: you comb over all the prequel commentary and every comment by George Lucas sounds like a Cnut post. All you can find are quotes of Lucas talking about how he wanted the Jedi to look morally dubious and out-of-touch. The actual movies do not change. What is your conclusion?

No, I am going from the statements from Lucas and everyone involved in the films, which indicate that there was no moral complexity offered or intended and the films were meant as simplistic black-and-white stories of good and evil, which is a claim not even touched upon even slightly by the RLM reviews. Yes, I am saying that Lucas tried to make them hypercompetent paragons of virtue, and further, I claim *sniffs, pulls collar, makes disgusting noise* he said this, repeatedly, over and over, without contradiction, dozens of times, over hours and hours. Your incredulousness at this factual statement is derived from ignorance and its fat ugly cousin, fanboyism. He did not want the Jedi to look morally dubious and out of touch. That is simply a lie.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

So it wouldn't mean that Born in the USA is a pro-war song.

So Bruce Springsteen's intent is immaterial to the content or quality of Born in the USA.

This isn't hard.

You could, in this thought experiment, despite Bruce Springsteen's intent, read Born in the USA as an anti-war song. I have never disputed that. You cannot, however, claim that he intentionally made an anti-war song. He tried to make a pro-war song and failed because he was an idiot. That would be a relevant consideration when talking about the genesis and background of "Born in the USA" and how its general interpretation as an anti-war song was an implicit criticism of the competence of its author.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tezzor posted:

No, I am going from the statements from Lucas and everyone involved in the films, which indicate that there was no moral complexity offered or intended and the films were meant as simplistic black-and-white stories of good and evil, which is a claim not even touched upon even slightly by the RLM reviews. Yes, I am saying that Lucas tried to make them hypercompetent paragons of virtue, and further, I claim *sniffs, pulls collar, makes disgusting noise* he said this, repeatedly, over and over, without contradiction, dozens of times, over hours and hours. Your incredulousness at this factual statement is derived from ignorance and its fat ugly cousin, fanboyism. He did not want the Jedi to look morally dubious and out of touch. That is simply a lie.

No, the statements only indicate that Lucas claimed not to be putting moral complexity into the films.* Since the movies contain moral complexity and lack hypercompetent paragons of virtue, we must assume that Lucas was lying or that he introduced all the moral complexity by accident. The former is more likely than the latter by several orders of magnitude.

Are you going to answer my last line there? Would your opinion on the films change if every frame remained identical, but Lucas's testimony about the films was reversed? It sounds like it would, but that's insane.

* I do not actually agree, and I think that if we were to actually go over his statements carefully we would not find him e.g. disavowing that there is any complexity to Star Wars, but it would also be a waste of our time; it literally doesn't matter what George Lucas says or believes, because he is not a movie. He's just a fat rich guy.

Tezzor posted:

You could, in this thought experiment, despite Bruce Springsteen's intent, read Born in the USA as an anti-war song. I have never disputed that. You cannot, however, claim that he intentionally made an anti-war song. He tried to make a pro-war song and failed because he was an idiot. That would be a relevant consideration when talking about the genesis and background of "Born in the USA" and how its general interpretation as an anti-war song was an implicit criticism of the competence of its author.

Enough with this mealy-mouthed bullshit! It's not a matter of oh, well, you could, if you wanted to, not that I would, but you could, you know, if you were some kind of maniac, I SUPPOSE you could read it as an anti-war song.

It just is an anti-war song. It doesn't matter what other people tell you about it. You have the responsibility of making up your own drat mind.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Tezzor posted:

How is that possible, though? He didn't know that a line like "there were heroes on both sides" made it into one of his movies? He accidentally wrote and directed a pivotal scene where Yoda, a supposed good guy, commands an army of storm-troopers, a group who were established in previous films as bad guys visually linked to Nazi soldiers?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 24, 2016

lfield
May 10, 2008
Who were the heroes on the other side, even? I just remember dumb robots and dumb clone troopers and racist aliens.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

lfield posted:

Who were the heroes on the other side, even? I just remember dumb robots and dumb clone troopers and racist aliens.

I assume that it's "heroes" in the classical myth sense (or, if you prefer, the MOBA sense) where it's just that each side has its own champions who have a lot of battlefield exploits and inspire their respective troops and such.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even if Lucas did say his films contained no complexity, this assumes he's being honest anyways. There have been many examples in the mere century of cinema of directors outright lying about their work, trying to underplay the thought they put into their films, or just generally being misleading for various reasons. Some examples would be Ford, Welles, Hitchcock, Riefenstahl, Ulmer, Griffith, Lang etc.

Hell some of those directors have movies directly referenced by Lucas in Star Wars even. While a director's comments can be interesting, actual interpretations are better off being supported by the text itself.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 24, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doesn't Neil Blomkamp, when asked about the political themes of such movies as District 9 and Elysium, consistently respond like "huh? what politics :confused:" ?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

lfield posted:

the poor robot slaves forced to fight against their will

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Tezzor isn't hard to analyze, unfortunately. Check this weird sentence, posted earlier:

Tezzor posted:

If it helps, pretend that I wrote an elaborate fanfic reading that the movie from the point where Finn gets confronted by Phasma is actually a dream sequence he is having as he's being memory wiped, where he gets to be a hero, meet a pretty girl, make friends, and run into the galaxy's most famous people, so it's really a smart subversion of the concept of heroism and really the world is a pile of poo poo where death is eternal and the lack of evidence of this theory is actually the point as it's a satire on our culture's requirement to have evidence to believe things and do you think they released this film by accident lol??

Yep, that's all one sentence.

And it's unambiguous: Tezzor is afraid that, if people criticize Star Wars, the FN character will have his memory erased(???), and there will be no such thing as heroism(???), and we'll lose immortality(???), and reality itself will crumble into meaninglessness(???).

The only way to escape death is to worship the Jedi, because the Jedi let you live on as 'Force Ghosts'. So, if you defy the Jedi in any way, you are robbing Tezzor of his immortal soul.

Lucas failed the Jedi, so he must be attacked with relentless triple-posting.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 24, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tori BIOS posted:

now it's too real to be a new star wars movie. i literally spend in excess of $1000 a year and manchildren will line up to be twelve again.
Wisdom

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think you're reaching SMG. Trezzor likes heroes and he likes black and white morality The ot says the jedi are good but the PT makes them not seem so good. Gorge lucas "says" the jedi are still good though but that is wrong and thus makes him bad. It's also why he likes TFA as it clearly states that "The light side" is real and good and there is clear good and evil sides to root for. In essence Trezzor represents Millennials, His Childish view of the world is being dragged into adulthood and he doesn't like it one bit.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 13, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MonsieurChoc posted:

You guys asked for it. Anime.

Previously, the other time Tezzor had a meltdown and humiliated himself in public, I talked about two Gundam series and compared them to Star Wars movies: Victory Gundam to The Force Awakens and the original Gundam to A New Hope. Now I'm talking about a movie that came out between those two and is more connected to Star Wars as a whole rather than a single movie. It's an interesting look at what could have been.

Context
After the original Gundam, Tomino directed sequels following the original characters: two tv series (zeta and double zeta) and a movie (Char's Counterattack). At the end of the movie, the main character and his eternal rival both ambiguously die while saving the planet, having utterly failed to help the next generation or break the cycle of violence. There would be no more adventures following them. Except, franchises never sleep, and plans started being made for a sequel. Set 30 years after the previous movie, it involved none of the old characters or factions (aside from the Earth Federation) and introduced completely new enemies and conflict. Unfortunately, staff dispute caused the project to be abandoned, and instead of a full series they took what they'd made (the first thirteen episodes) and made a movie out of it. As a result, a lot of plot points are unclear, obfuscated between scene transitions, and many characters get nothing. Still, there's a lot of interesting potential in this failure, and it has some gorgeous animation and designs. Look at these cool robots that looks like they gas masks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3n3leaHBpw

Plot
The basic plot follows a young engineering student, Seabook Arno, as his home colony is taken over by neo-feudalist who want to bring back nobility rule and end the tyranny of democracy. His girlfriend, Cecily Fairchild, turns out to be the estranged daughter of one of their leaders, and eventually they are reunited and defeat the bad guy. The villains, calling themselves the Crossbone Vanguard, have a pretty interesting philosophy, which their leader (Cecily's grandfather) exposes in a speech. Basically, they see all the flaws of liberal democracy and believe that a new take on "noblesse oblige" would work better. Of course, this is undercut by Iron Mask, the Darth Vader-looking bad guy who goes crazy and builds giant death saw robots to kill everyone who lives in the territory they want to conquer. There's also a lot about dysfunctional families in there, with Seabook being angry at his mother for leaving to build giant death robot and Cecily's own deal with her family of would-be conquerors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdyOO01HFo

The Star Wars connection
F91 is often called a Star Wars ripoff, and while that's unfair, it's not without reason. Iron Mask borrows a lot from Darth Vader (scary metal face, being a cyborg with psychic powers, being the father of a hero, etc). The Crossbone Vanguard Theme is similar to the Imperial March (itself similar to Mars Bringer of War). Family conflicts are also a big thing in Star Wars, as well as Democracy vs Feudalism. But I think the more interesting question in comparing F91 to Star Wars is in what could have been. F91 is a sequel that advances time forward 30 years like TFA, but unlike TFA it completely jettisons the older characters and the older conflict, instead opting for something new. In fact, where most sequel make the mistake of always trying to up the stakes, F91 lowers them. Gundam started with a cataclysmic war across the entire Earth Sphere that kills off half of humanity, and F91 follows a conflict located around a single Colony Cluster. A conflict that is completely ignored by the Federation, leaving it to the locals to fight back. It shows a different route TFA could have taken, instead of threading old grounds with the First Order and Starkiller Base. Thinking about it, another parallel is The Phantom Menace, which is also about a localized conflict ignored by the larger governing body leaving it to the locals, although in this case it did bring back some of the old characters and, taking place before the previous movies, eventually wrapped around back to the original stories instead of trying to leave them behind.
This is a good effort post. It seems that while Star Wars has taken much from Gundam, they have not learned all the lessons they could have from Gundam's mistakes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think there are plenty of people in modern politics who see nothing wrong with a 'Trade Federation' - isn't that kind of how the EU works?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

I think there are plenty of people in modern politics who see nothing wrong with a 'Trade Federation' - isn't that kind of how the EU works?

The militaristic trading cartel doesn't represent people democratically.

The EU has also been accused of not being democratic. Thankfully Disney purged it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 24, 2016

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Yeah it's really not the same. Think of the Trade Federation as the The Free Market manifest, a conglomeration of companies like McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Goldman Sachs, Lockheed Martin etc. Now imagine this conglomerate being given the same rights as EU member states like France, Greece, Germany, Spain and so on. Allowing them to apply, in a very direct way, The Free Market upon the other states legally.

Applying their own taxation laws, having their own standing army, giving them legal rights to impose trade sanctions(blockades) on other states within the EU who refuse to recognize their authority. So they can effectively isolate and starve these individual states with a degree of impunity, due to a corrupt bureaucracy that lets them do all this within the letter of the law.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 24, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Schwarzwald posted:

Kudos for this excellent and informative post. I've always had an interest in the UC Gundams, even though I've only ever seen the original.

It's really fascinating how F91 attempted to deescalate the scale of the conflicts. This is something that a lot of fiction and, more specifically, a lot of war fiction seems to have trouble with. Most of the Gundam series that came after F91, as an example, feature conflict on at least a global scale, and often climax with threats to all human life.

Star Wars has a similar problem. The Deathstar already had enough firepower to destroy a planet, and then they built an even bigger Deathstar. The latest Deathstar analog can destroy five planets a shot--and from the other side of the galaxy.

If later movies continue the trend of larger and larger Deathstars, then whats the end result? More over, what effect will that have on the story?

When the Deathstar destroyed Alderaan it seems like a tragedy, millions of lives taken in an instant! Later, Star Killer Base destroys five planets and nobody cares outside of how it effects themselves.

If this trend continues, the end result is the Killer Death Murder Machine destroying the whole galaxy and no one noticing.

Yeah, this same desire to always escalate things, to always try to make things bigger, lead to some really bad books and stupid stories in the old Expanded Universe. I legitimately think TFA (which I like) would have been a stronger movie without Starkiller Base. There is no need to make a sequel bigger, all it needs is to be interesting.

But it's very easy to understand that drive. Look at most big movie franchises: they also haven't learned that lesson.

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is a good effort post. It seems that while Star Wars has taken much from Gundam, they have not learned all the lessons they could have from Gundam's mistakes.

Gundam hasn't learned all the lessons they could from Gundam. Tomino left after Victory, and all the series and movies and other things after have been directed by a wide variety of people, all with their own strengths and weaknesses. So some of the series, at least, make the mistakes others had learned to avoid.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lord Krangdar posted:

How is that possible, though? He didn't know that a line like "there were heroes on both sides" made it into one of his movies? He accidentally wrote and directed a pivotal scene where Yoda, a supposed good guy, commands an army of storm-troopers, a group who were established in previous films as bad guys visually linked to Nazi soldiers?

The "heroes on both sides" line makes no sense, is supported by nothing we are shown, and is so laughably contradictory that even George's professional apologist Rick McCallum says it made no sense and he did not buy it. He put the scene with Yoda commanding storm troopers because he thought it would be cool for Yoda to be a badass kung fu general without considering the implications of this or how it contradicted his character and was generally a stupid idea. And, as a matter of fact, the ILM animators on the commentary track make it explicitly clear that George told them that the clone troopers were Good Guys, and, funnily enough, it was a "struggle" for them to show this

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

No, the statements only indicate that Lucas claimed not to be putting moral complexity into the films.* Since the movies contain moral complexity and lack hypercompetent paragons of virtue, we must assume that Lucas was lying or that he introduced all the moral complexity by accident. The former is more likely than the latter by several orders of magnitude.

We must believe that Lucas lied about how he wanted to make a film with clear delineations of Good Guys and Bad Guys, a film that paid literally zero attention to any of the grim undertones of Slave War, and that he not only lied but lied without fail, in dozens of statements, consistently over hours and hours, as did everyone else without exception, as a way to trick us into believing he was incompetent and didn't know what he was doing. Or he is an overrated hack who put stuff like clone soldiers and robot enemies and child Jedi and into the films because they were PG friendly business decisions and he thought it would be neat to be able to put his kids and his friends' kids into his films without any consideration of the Deep Ethical Quandaries of these things. Your belief that the former is more likely is a result of your bafflingly cultish fanboyism and not any evidence or logic we can infer.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This isn't difficult: according to the Republic, it's legal for corporations to blockade planets.

no it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Elfgames posted:

I think you're reaching SMG. Trezzor likes heroes and he likes black and white morality The ot says the jedi are good but the PT makes them not seem so good. Gorge lucas "says" the jedi are still good though but that is wrong and thus makes him bad. It's also why he likes TFA as it clearly states that "The light side" is real and good and there is clear good and evil sides to root for. In essence Trezzor represents Millennials, His Childish view of the world is being dragged into adulthood and he doesn't like it one bit.

But Lucas did not intend the PT to make the Jedi seem not so good. That the Jedi came out looking like amoral idiots is yet another failing of the films. He meant to show them as great heroes at the height of their power fighting evil but ultimately being betrayed by evil through no fault of their own except, perhaps, to be generous, the arrogance of thinking they were invincible. Which I would argue is not really arrogant according to a logical interpretation of what he's told us - the Sith have been dead for 1000 years and there's been almost total peace for that same amount of time. That's like if it turned out that Ghengis Khan was still alive and had magic and he had pitted the US and USSR against each other while secretly being the leader of both parties in a convoluted master plan to finally conquer hated Japan. How arrogant and blind we were to not see this coming!

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 24, 2016

• Locked thread