Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Rethinking war would be pretty nice and I see what he's going for.

But there are so many interlocking cultural variables at play here.

In 1444, how do you justify a war? It depends on who you are. Are you a Christian European monarch? Who are you warring with? You can justify a war against the Ottomans by asking the Pope. You can't justify a war against a fellow Christian without having a shared claim.

But let's say you're a subject of Ming China. None of this applies. You justify a war when the Ming government cancels your trading rights. Or you just... do it. You tell Korea "you're with us, or you're against us" and just invade them.

Some of these are taken care of. If you're a steppe nation you can just attack anyone. That's probably correct and proper. What about if you're a mideastern Muslim? If you're the Khalif, you can attack any other Muslim you want. If you're not the Khalif, you shouldn't.

At a certain point, more and more states start to embrace a kind of realpolitik that allows them to justify essentially any war they want.

But in some contexts that isn't necessary either. You can engage in piracy and conquest on the high seas armed with no justification other than "it will be profitable". You can create a corporate entity to conquer in your name.

Actually modelling reasons why nations went to war is a big sticky mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dibujante posted:

Rethinking war would be pretty nice and I see what he's going for.

But there are so many interlocking cultural variables at play here.

In 1444, how do you justify a war? It depends on who you are. Are you a Christian European monarch? Who are you warring with? You can justify a war against the Ottomans by asking the Pope. You can't justify a war against a fellow Christian without having a shared claim.

But let's say you're a subject of Ming China. None of this applies. You justify a war when the Ming government cancels your trading rights. Or you just... do it. You tell Korea "you're with us, or you're against us" and just invade them.

Some of these are taken care of. If you're a steppe nation you can just attack anyone. That's probably correct and proper. What about if you're a mideastern Muslim? If you're the Khalif, you can attack any other Muslim you want. If you're not the Khalif, you shouldn't.

At a certain point, more and more states start to embrace a kind of realpolitik that allows them to justify essentially any war they want.

But in some contexts that isn't necessary either. You can engage in piracy and conquest on the high seas armed with no justification other than "it will be profitable". You can create a corporate entity to conquer in your name.

Actually modelling reasons why nations went to war is a big sticky mess.
This sounds like something for EU5 heh. But yes making it more intuitive would be neat.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I like how he adds the eclipse as if he's disappointed by the fanbase

Johan posted:

Overwhelming majorty wants it from the start.

So guess it will stay that way..

So, I'm confused, how are they considering changing it, again?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Any quick'n'dirty tips for Wallachia?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

So, I'm confused, how are they considering changing it, again?
If it's added at tech level 1 it'll be very easy to mod it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fister Roboto posted:

They should get rid of fabricated claims entirely and just give everyone a generic border friction CB that incurs a high amount of AE. Fabricating claims is a lot of tedious busy clicking.

Yeah, I was talking about this with my brother earlier today. Now that there's no risk of AE from fabricating claims, it's just a diplomat sink - not really necessary, especially since spy networks should be plenty useful with all espionage actions available through diplo tech.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Sorry for the beginner questions, but is it better to keep your stability at +3 or +1? I read somewhere online that +1 was the best because of increasing costs, but I just want to double check because of out-of-date info all over the place before DLC's came out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

+3 is obviously better than +1. But no, it's not really worth it to boost up to +3 routinely. If you need the revolt reduction or missionary strength bonuses though, it can be worth it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

+0 or +1 are fine. Just as long as it's not negative, especially if you're a monarchy. Spending admin points to increase it to +2 or +3 is usually a waste, but it can be useful or necessary in some situations.

My usual strategy is to park at +0, and if I get a stability increasing event I spend points to increase it before taking the event.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
IIRC there are stability-lowering events that fire more frequently when you're above 1 stability, so you shouldn't spend the points to get above 1.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Spending admin points to increase it to +2 or +3 is usually a waste, but it can be useful or necessary in some situations.

Same with Harsh Treatment for rebels, by the way. It can be situationally useful if you're starved for manpower or you really can't deal with those rebels right now, but 99% of the time it's better to just let them revolt and wipe them out.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

unexciting dev diary about the team and some details re 1.17

quote:

Hi all!

In this Dev Diary I'll present the EU4-team as it looks currently.

The Team
Johan, still game director, creating the high-level design for the expansions.

Anona, I’m the new project lead, making sure planning and priorities are made, as well as keeping deadline and being on budget. Been with Paradox for 2,5 years and hope you look forward to the upcoming expansions!

Gnivom, I’m a new recruit to Paradox who loves EU4. I am a junior programmer who just graduated from High School.

Chaingun. Programmer on EU4. Conveniently, I used to play EU2 in my early teenage years.

Trin Tragula, Content Designer. I used to be a modder for PDS games and later became a research alpha/beta for EU4 (mainly doing both pre-AoW and post-AoW India). I joined the EU4 team during the development of Art Of War and my work includes creating and researching most events, missions, decisions, etc in the game as well as any changes to the map.

LittleFido, embedded QA for EU4, I've been at Paradox for almost two years now and been attached to EU for over a year of that time. I love seeing the project grow and trying to find, reproduce and help solve bugs we encounter. Seeing a new patch or DLC release is at the same time the most exciting and stressful time for me! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do!

I’m DDRJake, QA turned Junior Designer for EU4. I’ve been part of the Paradox family for over a year now after years of sacrificing sleep and other necessities to stare at maps. Continuing to play the game to ensure it is enjoyable and interesting is an important role of mine, as well as writing and refining future designs for EU4. You’ll catch me lurking in the suggestions forum and the bug reports section, taking in community feedback on improving Europa.

r_lazer, lead programmer on the EU4 team. Started on the EU4 team around 1.5 years ago and have enjoyed working on every DLC since then. El Dorado was a favourite where I got to implement the Nation Designer.

StarNaN, Embedded QA for EU4. Started working at Paradox last year in December. I’ve been playing Europa Universalis since early EU3 and loved Svea Rike 1 and 2 as a child, therefore I want EU4 to be as good as it can be. My part in doing this is the same as LittleFido, I try to find, reproduce and help solve bugs.

The Real Timor, I’m the rather odd artist who makes things look nice and neat. Or at least as neat as they can be in a screen with 50+ icons, numerous stats, and tooltips to blot out the sun. Aaah, the beauty of EU4. And let’s not forget the cute Big Blue Blob achievement.

We’re currently working on the upcoming 1.17 patch which we we’ll release when it’s ready. The patch will contain bugfixes and crash fixes for Mare Nostrum such as:

Christian Hordes will reform into Eastern technology

Disbanding ships in port will return Sailors to the Sailor Pool

Fix for the 0Kb savegame crash

Republican Sufferance impacts sailor gain

Performance optimization

Fixed Central African Lakes

Refining Naval Missions

OOS fix

Tightened up AI budgeting to help prevent debt spirals.

Ideas for Dev Diaries
If you have ideas for upcoming dev diaries, feel free to write them below.

/The EU4-Team

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

vyelkin posted:

Johan seems legitimately confused that players almost never declare no-CB wars and eat the -2 stab hit.

Like, I can't even remember the last time I declared a no-CB war, just because eating that much of an Admin penalty is bad when you're going to war presumably to conquer land that will then take Admin to core.

The end result of this would be that rather than being able to plan your expansion and actually do what you want, you would sit around waiting for random events to give you CBs and then not even use the CB because it turns out the country the random event picked is allied with France. Especially for non-European nations that take longer to get technology and have less monarch points to spend boosting stability, the end result is that rather than having control over the game you sit around waiting for the game to randomly decide what you have the option of doing, which seems like bad design to me.

If the game had been like this from the beginning it would be one thing, but changing it at this point seems really dumb.

There are very specific reasons to no-CB declare war but every patch they do things to mess with it so it's not viable. Off the top of my head:

As Knights, if you can't/don't want to annex Cyprus, then you no-CB the Mamluks whenever the Ottomans get the mission to claim the Levant and declare on them. This is the most reliable way to form Kingdom of Jerusalem (by occupying the required provinces before the Ottomans get there).

Various minors used to no-CB Ragusa but now it's guaranteed by the Ottomans at the start. Before that, it was to no-CB Urbino and join the HRE.

As Albania, to get around being warned by the Ottomans and also get control of delicious Serbian gold mines you would either annex Ragusa or no-CB Bosnia if they have allied Serbia and then grab Kosovo in a separate peace.

No-CBs are usually pretty specific to minor powers and it's not like they try to encourage you to do them at all in the first place.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And there's always the classic French no-CB of Scotland in order to get a border with the Scandanavian powers, a reliable low-AE route for expansion if you don't feel like loving with the Iberian peninsula (or if you just want to play very aggressively in general). This isn't a day-0 no-CB declaration though, since you need to revoke your guarantee first and then wait for a truce to expire (or don't and eat the huge AE/stab hit anyway). You can solidly cripple England in the first decade by doing this + taking the continental cores

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

It's pretty impressive what Lakshminarasimhamall managed despite being severely outnumbered and FOUR military techs down. In fact I bet he was solely responsible for his nation's explosive growth before I interfered; this was a massive united India extended westward into 70% of persia's cores

help

Can you like,, not????
It's amazing to me that a small nation I purposely released and saved because I like their flag managed to have any influence on the most powerful country in the world.

Being a world conqueror has completely drained everything out of me so I don't have much to say

Except good borders if I say so myself

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I've had this game for years and barely played it. Base game with minor cosmetic mods.

Is Art of War still the definitive must-have DLC, or is the DLC pack (w/Res Publica, Wealth of Nations, Conquest of Paradise, etc.) better? Are there recommended LPs (video or screenshot) that will teach a newb what they need to know? I managed to put enough hours into CK2 to get most of the mechanics, but always wanted to give EU a proper go.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

just wait until all the dlc go on like 80% off sale

arumba has good videos to watch

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

That Papal Africa......

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I like how like 75% of Austrian Europe's landmass is in Africa

What's that? You're not European? WELL YOU ARE NOW DARKIE :hitler:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
how and why did you end up with vast tracts of land in the urals

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Do any of the LP's show how to really blob? I feel like France in 1471 should have more than 3-4 extra provinces. I went from getting mega coalitioned to too cautious I guess. I also seem to have zero luck marrying disputed countries for a PU. I see AAR posts where people acquire entire countries in a single war with no setbacks so it must be possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are you expanding into the HRE? AE is doubled for Imperial provinces. Everyone is Catholic as well, so they also don't care for taking provides from other Catholics. AE also scales with province value, and Germany is pretty rich.

Try blobbing as the Ottomans instead, they're in a much better position for it. Watch DDRJake streams if you want to see crazy expansion.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
This was a fun game I had as the Teutonic Order

(I let the revolutionaries win so I could become an Empire)

Somehow the Emperor is an Irish minor exiled to the Outer Hebrides

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 23, 2016

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Are you expanding into the HRE? AE is doubled for Imperial provinces. Everyone is Catholic as well, so they also don't care for taking provides from other Catholics. AE also scales with province value, and Germany is pretty rich.

Try blobbing as the Ottomans instead, they're in a much better position for it. Watch DDRJake streams if you want to see crazy expansion.

Checking out his videos, thanks for the tip. The Austria game that explains a lot. For France, 4 provinces from Provence is what brought down 135000 on top of me. I'm just gonna take my 1471 game slow while I watch some videos and streams.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Tried first England Ironman Run. Snagged some land from France, Vassalized Scotland. helped irish vassal take all of his isle, start getting ready to colonize....hmmm. Heir dies.

Random event cutting chance of heir by 50% fires.

Ruler dies.

Get a new ruler from another dynasty dropping Legitimacy to 18 and firing War of the Roses.

New ruler dies and I end up as bottom in a PU with Castile.

All of that in under 10 years.

I love the realism of the heir and inheritance system, but it can sure crush you games at the drop of a hat, through no fault of your own.

What ideas do you usually get as England? I thought Exploration would make a good first, but you actually have bad range from your positioning. Trade, Maritime and Admin all feel proper.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Tried first England Ironman Run. Snagged some land from France, Vassalized Scotland. helped irish vassal take all of his isle, start getting ready to colonize....hmmm. Heir dies.

Random event cutting chance of heir by 50% fires.

Ruler dies.

Get a new ruler from another dynasty dropping Legitimacy to 18 and firing War of the Roses.

New ruler dies and I end up as bottom in a PU with Castile.

All of that in under 10 years.

I love the realism of the heir and inheritance system, but it can sure crush you games at the drop of a hat, through no fault of your own.

What ideas do you usually get as England? I thought Exploration would make a good first, but you actually have bad range from your positioning. Trade, Maritime and Admin all feel proper.

Exploration's still the best first pick, since you only have to wait until diplo 7 to get the range. I usually go all-in and pick Expansion second, for the extra colonist and the CB. Nothing else will help as much as getting the wealth of the rest of the world flowing into the English Channel as fast as possible - you aren't really strong enough to fight other European powers evenly until you have that income.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jazerus posted:

Exploration's still the best first pick, since you only have to wait until diplo 7 to get the range. I usually go all-in and pick Expansion second, for the extra colonist and the CB. Nothing else will help as much as getting the wealth of the rest of the world flowing into the English Channel as fast as possible - you aren't really strong enough to fight other European powers evenly until you have that income.

Yep, this is how I play England too. I like to grap Exploration and Expansion, and depending on circumstances Iceland and/or the Spanish islands off Africa.

Grab all the land and bring all that gold home.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chump Farts posted:

Checking out his videos, thanks for the tip. The Austria game that explains a lot. For France, 4 provinces from Provence is what brought down 135000 on top of me. I'm just gonna take my 1471 game slow while I watch some videos and streams.

Take Influence as your first idea group for France. Aggressive Expansion is going to hurt in the early game, so the idea that brings it down is invaluable.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

please don't take influence as france

just expand into africa/great britain/scandinavia

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

GreyPowerVan posted:

please don't take influence as france

just expand into africa/great britain/scandinavia

What's your preferred first idea group for France?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Probably Naval, it's pretty good normally but for France it's amazing.

:v:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Well, juggling where I fight helps. After beating up Provence a bit, I went to war with Burgundy so long that I got half their poo poo. Too bad the Emperor Palatinate got the other half. Now I'm trying to the get the last of my poo poo from England and so far the HRE gives no poo poo if I do that or gently caress with Provence and Brittany.

Guess starting slower at first then being a dick in different directions is the key.

Also being an rear end in a top hat and jumping people when half of their poo poo is already occupied.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Well, juggling where I fight helps. After beating up Provence a bit, I went to war with Burgundy so long that I got half their poo poo. Too bad the Emperor Palatinate got the other half. Now I'm trying to the get the last of my poo poo from England and so far the HRE gives no poo poo if I do that or gently caress with Provence and Brittany.

Guess starting slower at first then being a dick in different directions is the key.

Also being an rear end in a top hat and jumping people when half of their poo poo is already occupied.

Bad achievement suggestion: as Emperor Palatinate, have your ruler die in battle to revolutionary rebels

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Bad achievement suggestion: as Emperor Palatinate, have your ruler die in battle to revolutionary rebels

Have your heir betray you and throw you down a pit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

Keep in mind that there's a distance component to AE. For instance, taking land from say Scotland is only really going to build AE with England and whatever Irish minors are still around. Provence, on the other hand, has territory right next to a ton of easily-ticked-off HRE countries, so even if you're taking territory in NW France you'll still be building a ton of AE with HRE nations + England. They're also high-development provinces, so you're going to suffer a ton of AE as a result. Totally, totally not worth it that early in the game.

Also, when you're negotiating a peace, hover over the AE penalty to see who might be ready to coalition you.

For France the best routes of expansion are either south through Castille/Aragon or north through England/Scotland and into Scandinavia. You can also play around in Southern Italy whenever you get a bunch of free claims there through an event. Between those three routes you should have plenty of targets to blob into without suffering a big coalition war. You've still got to manage AE but you can blob a lot faster going in those directions and just ignoring Provence.

You can take Influence for the AE reduction, which will be good in the long-run, but you should not take that first; you should take Admin first.

Chump Farts posted:

Fun fact, you can usually inherit half of Burgundy's poo poo without ever declaring on them. I like to just let them gently caress around on their own

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Sometimes I feel like I have the worst luck in this game; been playing Ottomans running for Unify Islam achivement, and things have been going super well. I have everything except for some province in central Asia and a province in southern Italy, which I'll be able to grab in a decade. It's 1700. Tuscany owns the province almost all of Italy, but they're pretty weak, so I declare and stomp on them pretty well.

Right as I'm about to peace out with Tuscany, France declares war for my provinces in the Iberian peninsula. When I wasn't looking, they apparently picked up a PU with England. They've decided that the one province that I need in the Iberian peninsula for the achievement is going to be the war goal, and we've been trading armies back and forth until finally they've decided to park 200k dudes on top of it. I have no idea if I'll be able to dig my way out of this with mercenaries; my income is massive, but England and France have been accumulating New World territories and might be able to out-spend me. I basically have no manpower at this point and I don't think that I'll be able to hire enough mercenaries to dig my way out of this problem.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Sometimes I feel like I have the worst luck in this game; been playing Ottomans running for Unify Islam achivement, and things have been going super well. I have everything except for some province in central Asia and a province in southern Italy, which I'll be able to grab in a decade. It's 1700. Tuscany owns the province almost all of Italy, but they're pretty weak, so I declare and stomp on them pretty well.

Right as I'm about to peace out with Tuscany, France declares war for my provinces in the Iberian peninsula. When I wasn't looking, they apparently picked up a PU with England. They've decided that the one province that I need in the Iberian peninsula for the achievement is going to be the war goal, and we've been trading armies back and forth until finally they've decided to park 200k dudes on top of it. I have no idea if I'll be able to dig my way out of this with mercenaries; my income is massive, but England and France have been accumulating New World territories and might be able to out-spend me. I basically have no manpower at this point and I don't think that I'll be able to hire enough mercenaries to dig my way out of this problem.
Its 1700, you have 120 years to get that province. If you can manage to not lose a huge chunk of land I'm sure you could come back.

If you really want to try to win - do you have naval superiority? You could use your navy to protect yourself from them invading other parts of your empire while you invade England (since their army is in Iberia, right?).

Regardless, with as much time as you have you could lose this war then spend the next 100 years blobbing uncontrollably then spend 20 conquering what you need from France+England. Also, threaten war is your friend if you didnt want to have to fight Tuscany.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

After 2 attempts to claim the HRE with diplomacy (stacking diplomatic reputation and sending out diplomats), I decided to gently caress it and just force vassalized 4 electors and then later the emperor to claim the crown. Serves the bastards right for not letting my Empress wear that crown. So the Spanish Habsburg emperor Felipe claimed the HRE in his mother's and grandmother's name, in 1818, just in time for the achievement.

I set it as my goal around 1720 or so, I think, when I got bored of conquering France and just wanted to unify the HRE. I did not anticipate spending 100 years getting it, though. drat dirty women-hating European princes!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I thought I was settling in for a nice long (and presumably difficult) Irish minor campaign to get the "Luck of the Irish" achievement but England turned out to be a complete pushover.

It's 1530 and I basically just need to punch England one more time and get that one island from Norway.

England has no allies and haven't had one since our first war a good 50 years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's always good to see Brittany punch above their weight.

• Locked thread