Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Just use the accent from that 4chan translated chapter and have it be an overblown Brooklyn accent with a whole bunch of swearing for no reason.:v:

I'd say that you need to balance representational accuracy with how easy and pleasant it is to read. There's no 1:1 comparison, so basically whatever should be fine so long it's obviously different, but still readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
In all seriousness, please don't change anything, everything is fine.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Well, we are trying for that (and i hope we do an alright job on it) - but the Northern accent is really hard to put down in letters for Saki. It'll take some more work. I hope I'm available to help with it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
No! You've been doing it wrong this whole time, now start over from the very beginning and do it RIGHT!

Though that would also give you a chance to fix the whole "Charismatic Female Pervert" thing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

*Politely waits for next chapter*

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, we are trying for that (and i hope we do an alright job on it) - but the Northern accent is really hard to put down in letters for Saki. It'll take some more work. I hope I'm available to help with it.

You're doing a great job! It's just a really difficult task. Japanese has way stronger divisions between different accents than (American) English does, and Jitsu Wa has pretty much every character speak with a different exaggerated dialect. You've gotten a lot of that across without ever being unreadable or just plain dumb sounding, and that's awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Minnesota accents aren't quite as pronounced as southern ones (I say, having lived in Minnesota all my life), or as well-known, so I can definitely see how that would be hard--especially because it's more in the vowels than the actual speech patterns. I do really like the idea of Saki having that accent though, it's cute.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
http://bato.to/reader#06f7b0636c4771d1

The dumbest sleepover.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Holy moly Aizawa is even cooler now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
She's the coolest!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How does this god damned series keep delivering?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Welp, that was definitely not what I was expecting.

To be fair I don't even remember what I was expecting anymore.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Rin casually riding Asahi's shoulders was cute as hell. Also I really hope all this "uneasy feeling..." foreshadowing is going to pay off with a chapter where Shiragami suddenly grows like 5 metres overnight.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dordreff posted:

Rin casually riding Asahi's shoulders was cute as hell. Also I really hope all this "uneasy feeling..." foreshadowing is going to pay off with a chapter where Shiragami suddenly grows like 5 metres overnight.

I'm pretty sure she's going to try to eat him or something along those lines.

That was impressive Aizawa!

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Rin-chan and Youko are a super cute combination.

Karen is always great too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's hard for me to pick a favorite character in this thing, but Karen pretty much always guarantees a good chapter for me.

I keep forgetting that this is a gag comic first and foremost, so I keep expecting different things from this manga since I'm reading Nisekoi at the same time. It's kind of refreshing to have a romcom manga be so silly most of the time.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'm confused, did he dream the part about the beetles and Aizawa, or did the beetles take all the bats and crows flying around as a sign of a coming invasion and ask Aizawa's help?

Why is this so good?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how many different kinds of horns Karen has stocked up over the years.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Everyone is so adorable this chapter, but for me the best subtle part was the principal hoping for something, anything, to happen ebwteen Asahi and Youko :allears: Aizawa's a close second though.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

Literally Kermit posted:

I'm confused, did he dream the part about the beetles and Aizawa, or did the beetles take all the bats and crows flying around as a sign of a coming invasion and ask Aizawa's help?

Why is this so good?

The bats and crows never went searching. Aizawa was probably just being a derp and practicing her h2h combat with the local beetle population and became friends with them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The crows must have a pretty strong union with strict hours like that.

With how good Trigger has been at animating gag stuff, imagine if Trigger got the anime rights instead of that other studio...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure she's going to try to eat him or something along those lines.
Everyone here DOES remember that she's supposed to be a vampire, right?

SpacePig posted:

It's hard for me to pick a favorite character in this thing, but Karen pretty much always guarantees a good chapter for me.

I keep forgetting that this is a gag comic first and foremost, so I keep expecting different things from this manga since I'm reading Nisekoi at the same time. It's kind of refreshing to have a romcom manga be so silly most of the time.
Yeah, Karen is def. my favorite.

Also, expecting different things - sooo, it's surprising when a romcom actually has romance and comedy and is actually legitimately good?

(I'll take any opportunity to poo poo on nisekoi.)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Yeah, Karen is def. my favorite.

Also, expecting different things - sooo, it's surprising when a romcom actually has romance and comedy and is actually legitimately good?

(I'll take any opportunity to poo poo on nisekoi.)

Yes, actually. Nisekoi has been a loving slog for awhile, and now I'm just waiting for it to end in some sort of sunk cost fallacy. Jitsu Wa is still genuinely entertaining, and is pretty well done with any sort of will they/won't they drama. Having the characters actually be together and having fun is great, rather than them trying to have fun and wondering whether the other likes them.

Like, Lovely Complex is seriously one of my favorite romcoms of all time, and it's basically because the romance is solve early, and in a very satisfying way, so that it can just go back to being funny without having to worry about when they'll finally kiss or whatever. Jitsu Wa is basically the same thing, with characters that are in love accepting weird things about the other, but with a zanier premise and characters.

e:
I basically just wish more things were like Lovely Complex, and less like Love Hina.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure I'd say LoveCom solves the romance quickly...but once it does, it's solved definitively and then keeps going into fun places afterwards.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not sure I'd say LoveCom solves the romance quickly...but once it does, it's solved definitively and then keeps going into fun places afterwards.

I watched the show before I read the manga, and IIRC, it's a done deal by halfway through the season, so that's pretty quick by anime standards. It definitely felt more drawn out in the manga, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, I was thinking mainly of the manga there. Which, in fairness, goes on for quite a bit longer afterwards. (And in fact includes a bit near the end where the couple has to decide if they're okay with having sex or not at the big hotel they're visiting for Maity's wedding.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Jitsu-wa-Watashi-wa/Vol-014-Ch-123--Let-s-charm-someone-?id=272547

Shima is the worst, and also the best. This chapter was really something else though.

I'm wagering cloning shenanigans

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New plot bomb dropped in the new chapter. Shiho is Momo's grandmother so it could be that one of Asahi's kids ends up with one of Shiho's kids and another one ends up with one of Mikan's. Of course no one's really put much though into mapping it out and just going straight towards them ending up with Asahi. Oh well

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

New plot bomb dropped in the new chapter. Shiho is Momo's grandmother so it could be that one of Asahi's kids ends up with one of Shiho's kids and another one ends up with one of Mikan's. Of course no one's really put much though into mapping it out and just going straight towards them ending up with Asahi. Oh well

Thankfully, I've put in over 500 hours into Crusader Kings 2, so I'm all over these family tree shenanigans!! :suicide:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Xelkelvos posted:

Of course no one's really put much though into mapping it out and just going straight towards them ending up with Asahi. Oh well

What fun would it be if they didn't do that, though?

e: On another note, it took me until the most recent chapter of a different manga I read to realize you guys were the same team translating it. I really love Bird Café as well, please keep up the good work.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 5, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh poo poo! I...did not see that coming! Can't wait to see where this goes.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I also feel like it might get even more complicated with the existence of Shirou, but that's confusing to even consider. :tinfoil:

Plot bomb aside, there were some good Shima faces in this chapter. And Okada got to look cool for a second!

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
Doh! I knew I forgot something.

Yeah, new chapter on Batoto here: http://bato.to/reader#3cf154aa86f0c342

Also yeah, if you wanna see our projects, go to http://prettyanonymo.us. I also recommend Immortal Hounds.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Obviously Mikan and Shihro end up together. Nah, it's going to be something really dumb

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The assumption that it's Shima in the police car was pretty great. Also the hypothetical of Shiragami not being able to tell if Shima were pretending to be Asahi, and Asahi actually having to think about it for a second.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I also feel like it might get even more complicated with the existence of Shirou, but that's confusing to even consider. :tinfoil:

Plot bomb aside, there were some good Shima faces in this chapter. And Okada got to look cool for a second!

Okada always looks cool. Also the strongest face appeared in this chapter. Disgust at Shima is powerful.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm still sticking with my Schrodinger's kids theory.

There's probably some good reaction images/avatars you could make out of the dead eyes this chapter!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Momo and Rin are cousins, so there are three sets of grandparents.

That's excluding affectionately referring to an elder person as "grandma"

Eventually, Asahi will end up being suspected of marrying every single girl in the school.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm still sticking with my Schrodinger's kids theory.

There's probably some good reaction images/avatars you could make out of the dead eyes this chapter!

This entire manga is basically a collection of amazing reaction faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

SpacePig posted:

What fun would it be if they didn't do that, though?

e: On another note, it took me until the most recent chapter of a different manga I read to realize you guys were the same team translating it. I really love Bird Café as well, please keep up the good work.
Hahahahaha I don't work. I just talk.

T does though. :golfclap:

Xelkelvos posted:

Of course no one's really put much though into mapping it out and just going straight towards them ending up with Asahi. Oh well

Actually, someone did! That someone was the author.

Terper posted:

Momo and Rin are cousins, so there are three sets of grandparents.

That's excluding affectionately referring to an elder person as "grandma"

Eventually, Asahi will end up being suspected of marrying every single girl in the school.

We all know where this will end up.

• Locked thread