Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

Pro-tip for Lone Wolf: Use lock-on with the walker while Wolf is flying to melt his health away. The catch is that you basically can't dodge his special attack while in walker so be careful after he goes down to half health.

Sure you can, just side roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Also for any fights like that, bombs will wreck their day and they can't dodge them at all if you detonate them in their face.

Anybody know what secret level i'm missing? It's the most top right one on the score screen. I have all the others from the looks of it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Also for any fights like that, bombs will wreck their day and they can't dodge them at all if you detonate them in their face.

Anybody know what secret level i'm missing? It's the most top right one on the score screen. I have all the others from the looks of it.

Turn into the gravmaster near the portal on Titania.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Finally beat andross. After getting rid of one of the hands with the Walker, I just switched to the arwing and flew in the tight inner circle with my pad twisted to 90 degrees to finish the rest.

Seems like in their effort to force these new controls on us, they reduced the boss fights to all use the same exact tactics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is there an easier way to deal with the drones in areas like Sector Y and the Asteroid Belt? For example, is it possible to destroy the missiles before they release and latch on to the Great Fox?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel smug about getting 318 on Corneria. Knock me down a few pegs.

Kin posted:

After getting rid of one of the hands with the Walker, I just switched to the arwing and flew in the tight inner circle with my pad twisted to 90 degrees to finish the rest.
Sounds like a pro-strat if he keeps facing you.

deadwing posted:

I loving LOVE THE ROBOT FROG IN GUARD

HOLY poo poo THIS loving FROG
Have you seen him run on his hind legs yet? :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larryb posted:

Is there an easier way to deal with the drones in areas like Sector Y and the Asteroid Belt? For example, is it possible to destroy the missiles before they release and latch on to the Great Fox?

Yes, you can pop the missiles before they spray drones on the Great Fox.

I just went through the portal on Titania. Holy crap! :allears:

:byodood: "BARREL ROLL! BARREL ROLL! BARREL ROLL!"

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jonas Albrecht posted:

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's what the game feels like it's missing. The chance to go back and play levels as Kat or Bill or even Wolf. Online 2 v 2 co-op multiplayer. A Sauria stage.

These things were in other Starfox games, which were mixed in opinions, and I can't recall too many cases were Nintendo picked out the best things from mixed titles. They mostly just ignore them for sequels, assuming the sequel isn't already just something that tries to be completely different.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How do I unlock the last three missions in the fifth column? I assume one of them is a Fortuna mission for fragging Wolf fast enough that he doesn't send Peppy spiralling down to Titania, but have no clue for the last two.

Also Nintendo, if you're gonna remake Star Fox, why the hell did you forget the best second-best mission in the game (behind Area 6); The Forever Train? :colbert:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also Nintendo, if you're gonna remake Star Fox, why the hell did you forget the best second-best mission in the game (behind Area 6); The Forever Train? :colbert:

I firmly believe Sector Omega is the coolest stage in any Star Fox game, even cooler than Area 6

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm starting to see what people are saying about the controls. If I could stick to one or the other I would be fine. It's the having to go back and forth that's throwing me off.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy poo poo, I'm loving this so much. I've only done Corneria, but I did it 3 times to get the 300 hit score. How do you access the alternate routes because I know the sea carrier boss from Lylat Wars is there but I can't get to him? Or can you not do that on your first time through?

Controls are weird at first, but I seem to be getting used to them. Corneria stage 1 was incredibly easy for me, Stage 2 and 3 felt a bit odd, but once I got the tricks to both, they seemed pretty easy.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Or can you not do that on your first time through?

This. You'll be notified when the tricks become available.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm starting to see what people are saying about the controls. If I could stick to one or the other I would be fine. It's the having to go back and forth that's throwing me off.

The only thing I don't like is when the game forces you into Target Mode for some bosses. It's already a player-controlled toggle, just leave it at that and let us choose :colbert:.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

So I guess I'm retarded at the controls still because the free range mode or whatever still eludes me a bit. Is there a certain thing I'm supposed to do to kill that pig fucker on level 3? I just turned using brakes and boosters to catch him behind me and then hit him with some lasers and charge shots until he zoomed out of my view, but it felt like that took way longer than it should have and it was tedious as hell. And the one guy kept telling me to use the targeting thing but all that does is show me that he's perpetually behind me and doesn't seem to help me do anything about it.

ProTips?

Use your Arwing to fly behind him so you can shoot him and he dies.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharrrk posted:

i want to kiss wolf, on the mouth

Please control yourself

E: I need a girlfriend

bef fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 24, 2016

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only thing I don't like is when the game forces you into Target Mode for some bosses. It's already a player-controlled toggle, just leave it at that and let us choose :colbert:.

Yeah that's what made Aquarosa so hard to fight the first time for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Jarogue posted:

Yeah, I really dislike that. That and U-turn not being on X.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

sharrrk posted:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jarogue posted:

Also Christ the medal on that thing is beating it in 2:10:00. How do you even begin to get close to that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also Christ the medal on that thing is beating it in 2:10:00. How do you even begin to get close to that?

I did it my first time through. Just do strafing runs and then when it swaps to phase two just circle around it and shoot. Or you can just circle around it the entire time but I found the strafing runs faster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ImpAtom posted:

I did it my first time through. Just do strafing runs and then when it swaps to phase two just circle around it and shoot. Or you can just circle around it the entire time but I found the strafing runs faster.

I must be missing something here. My tactic was to strafe the top and blow up the cannon that creates the laser powerup and one other, before weakening two more. Second strafe run blows up the entire topside before phase 2 is a thing. But when phase 2 activates I find it basically impossible to efficiently kill the turrets because there's so little time to get in and deal damage before the shield bumps you out.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Try to get up to 5 smart bombs on Corneria and Bomb the last five beams since it one shot them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jarogue posted:

Try to get up to 5 smart bombs on Corneria and Bomb the last five beams since it one shot them.

Turns out it's entirely feasible and I was just being bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I must be missing something here. My tactic was to strafe the top and blow up the cannon that creates the laser powerup and one other, before weakening two more. Second strafe run blows up the entire topside before phase 2 is a thing. But when phase 2 activates I find it basically impossible to efficiently kill the turrets because there's so little time to get in and deal damage before the shield bumps you out.

That is why I mean "fly around it." Just circle around the entire Aquarosa and aim to the far right/left. If you're just outside the range of the emp that also puts you at exactly the perfect range to just snipe the remaining ones without getting close.

Jarogue posted:

I really need to use bombs more often, I keep forgetting I have them.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I REALLY hated Aquarosa the first two times i played it- it seemed frustrating and too punishing, especially near the end.

But if you make your runs circles rather than crossing the top in straight lines it really does become TONS easier.

Try switching the screens (hit minus on the pad) and using the main screen as your aiming reticle. Look at the pad every now and then to figure when to run away and what general direction you need to go in to attack the boss.

edit: three or four people have said this but I thought another voice phrasing it slightly differently might give someone the breakthrough I had on it. I'm at the point where I actually use the main screen as the cockpit view for some of the levels. Its pretty fun and on Fichina it made me feel like I was in a snowspeeder on Hoth. Badass feeling to have playing a video game, I think.

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 24, 2016

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I like the little wing flaps when the walker is hacking especially in the air.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I tried aquarossa just now and lost all my lives to it because the shield thing outspeeds me even when I'm boosting away. That's cool. Cool boss.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I don't like it when I'm trying to ascend and boost at the same time and I do a somersault instead, wasting the precious time I was trying to save. I wish there was a way to turn off the SF64 style somersault/u-turn controls. Or at least to map them to the unused L button somehow.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the shield thing outspeeds me even when I'm boosting away

That's not at all true and is actually pretty nonsensical, so I'm not even sure what you're doing wrong.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Well I've gone and beaten every level and got the hit medals on the majority of them. I love this game far too much, but I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't an Area 6 equivalent. Also there are fewer branching paths than I was expecting and that it's never worth it to ever take a branch isn't all that great for arcade mode. It's really weird to me that your hit count is actively punished for getting a Mission Accomplished on a level because if you win you only get one extra level on your path but if you lose you get two. (One of which is one of the highest hit count levels in the game)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

andipossess posted:

I don't like it when I'm trying to ascend and boost at the same time and I do a somersault instead, wasting the precious time I was trying to save. I wish there was a way to turn off the SF64 style somersault/u-turn controls. Or at least to map them to the unused L button somehow.

That's not at all true and is actually pretty nonsensical, so I'm not even sure what you're doing wrong.

I'm facing away from the shield and holding forward. My boost is draining and makes the sound and the shield still manages to catch me and nail me a good chunk of the time.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm facing away from the shield and holding forward. My boost is draining and makes the sound and the shield still manages to catch me and nail me a good chunk of the time.

Try starting running away by doing a U-Turn.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

McStephenson posted:

Try starting running away by doing a U-Turn.

U-turns and somersaults eat half your boost meter. I mean, it shouldn't be a problem since meter replenishes really fast, but I've never failed to outrun the shield (as long as I see it coming), so I don't even know what's up.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah, that shield is pretty easy to see coming. Once the center spire of the boss starts sparking (not when the shield is showing up, but when it's sparking. that's your visual cue), start boosting away, and you should be able to evade it without any real issue.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My biggest issue with the shield is that it has no indication how big it'll get. Going too far and losing time I could be using to hit those turrets especially in the second phase is frustrating.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Have you seen him run on his hind legs yet? :3:

yes, the robot frog is the greatest thing ever

I watch that adorable motherfucker hop around after every goddamn level

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Well I've gone and beaten every level and got the hit medals on the majority of them. I love this game far too much, but I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't an Area 6 equivalent. Also there are fewer branching paths than I was expecting and that it's never worth it to ever take a branch isn't all that great for arcade mode. It's really weird to me that your hit count is actively punished for getting a Mission Accomplished on a level because if you win you only get one extra level on your path but if you lose you get two. (One of which is one of the highest hit count levels in the game)

arcade mode tracks your high score for each possible path :getin:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can you stop Wolf from gunning down Peppy? I absolutely demolished Pigma and the others and was chasing Wolf down and got him to 50% left. Then it cut to Peppy on the other side of the map crashing and I'm not sure if that was avoidable.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you stop Wolf from gunning down Peppy? I absolutely demolished Pigma and the others and was chasing Wolf down and got him to 50% left. Then it cut to Peppy on the other side of the map crashing and I'm not sure if that was avoidable.

I didn't even know that that was a thing that could happen until I looked it up, so yes you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can, it just that you on an invisible time limit the sec you start fight his teammate, so shot out the other 3 as quickly as you can. You know that Peppy is about to go down when you here a beeping noise (the beeping sounds like the "times up" beeping in training/challenge mode) on the tv.

• Locked thread