Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Imagine thinking Johnny and Gyro are anything but the Best JoJo Buds.

Also imagine thinking Pizza Mozzarella wouldn't be a hit in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The way Johnny seduced Rina Higashikata was with that sick Shitsurei joke.

Gyro teaches valuable lessons from beyond the grave.
Imagine a Joshuu under Gyro's tutelage.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Imagine thinking Johnny and Gyro are anything but the Best JoJo Buds.

Also imagine thinking Pizza Mozzarella wouldn't be a hit in Europe.

Johnny hating Gyro's jokes is exactly why they are best bros

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Johnny 10000% loves Gyro's jokes and telling them is how affords trips to Japan with dead religious figures

This is my least favorite fan theory.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Johnny hating Gyro's jokes is exactly why they are best bros

:yeah:
i mean he supports the dude regardless, it's very deep lovefriendship

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You fell into his terrorist petard.

He's a man who genuinely loves Gyros jokes and doesn't want people to know so he pretends to act like a man who pretends to like the jokes so that people will think he only pretends to like the jokes and that he really dislikes the jokes but in actual fact he loves the jokes.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Johnny pausing to take out his moleskine so he can take notes on Gyro's joke proves that Johnny is the JoJo on the highest irony level and should therefore be respected

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So is echos vague enough to not warrent change ?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would think so.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm curious about Killer Queen, personally. Warner doesn't own Queen last I checked, so I can't imagine KQ or Sheer Heart Attack will make the cut intact. Bites the Dust should be ok though, right? Stray Cat's also another one that's innocuous enough, right?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

My Pucci there is in timg tags but it's not shrunken down.
(I use them even on small images because there's no real reason not to)

So I guess it only does it over a certain file resolution or is broken?
If a picture's small enough, for some value of "Small" "Enough," it doesn't shrink. Not 100% sure what the value is though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Echoes is Reverb in ASB and probably will be in the anime/EoH.

I severely don't understand the whining about the changed names though. I mean, I get that it's fun for people to laugh at and such, but I don't understand why people are dreading name changes or hoping that certain ones don't get hit with the change.

You know the real names and if you're in the anime thread, people there will tell you if you don't pick it up from dialogue. It's not hard to go in and ctrl+f the name changes or get the fansubs if it bothers you so greatly too...

e:

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm curious about Killer Queen, personally. Warner doesn't own Queen last I checked, so I can't imagine KQ or Sheer Heart Attack will make the cut intact. Bites the Dust should be ok though, right? Stray Cat's also another one that's innocuous enough, right?

No verifiable source for this, but I read in a JoJo general that a crunchy PR confirmed KQ is changed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wish they'd go with Killer King or something, cause Deadly Queen was just dumb.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just love the name changes, specially since you can clearly hear the proper name, so it's just an extra layer of fun due to how copyright laws work. Can't wait for 2019 when we get to see the Avocado Evening fight.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Murderer Monarch - Eats the Dirt

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just love the name changes, specially since you can clearly hear the proper name, so it's just an extra layer of fun due to how copyright laws work. Can't wait for 2019 when we get to see the Avocado Evening fight.

I'd prefer Chartreuse Afternoon

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The most annoying thing about the name changes for me is people going "Crunchyroll, really? I know, it's a band, but couldn't you just do it anyway like c'mon" like that's just how copyright law works. The idea that Crunchyroll is basically doing glorified fan subs and can't take legal action for what they do is way more widespread than it should be.

ChaosArgate posted:

Stray Cat's also another one that's innocuous enough, right?
ASB changed Stray Cat to Feral Cat for what it's worth.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Moltrey posted:

The most annoying thing about the name changes for me is people going "Crunchyroll, really? I know, it's a band, but couldn't you just do it anyway like c'mon" like that's just how copyright law works.

Can't wait for the Stand Mad Pussy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

The most annoying thing about the name changes for me is people going "Crunchyroll, really? I know, it's a band, but couldn't you just do it anyway like c'mon" like that's just how copyright law works. The idea that Crunchyroll is basically doing glorified fan subs and can't take legal action for what they do is way more widespread than it should be.

Internet nerds get worked up over name changes constantly. There are people complaining that the alt-sub track for Ace Attorney exists because "wtf is this localized trash."

Also, yeah, I know Stray Cat got changed, but I'm wondering if they could get away with not changing it. Namco erred on the side of caution pretty hard for ASB and are still doing so for EoH if Animal Shop is anything to go by.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to CR, WB gave the good ol college try in getting clearance, but no go.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Internet nerds get worked up over name changes constantly. There are people complaining that the alt-sub track for Ace Attorney exists because "wtf is this localized trash."

i mean, this one actually seems kinda dumb because the translation shouldn't be beholden to the game's localization. my impression is that it's probably a find-and-replace situation though, and they offer a non-game script so it's ultimately fine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Names like Deadly Queen and Worse Company are good because they're silly bargain bin names that we got when Part 3 was coming out here like Devo becoming D'Bo or Rubber Soul becoming Robber Soul, where the spirit of the name is very much there. Ideally, you'd want all your names to be Shining Diamond or Reverb, something that mixes it up entirely, but strongly keeps the meaning, but yo localization is hard so whatever. The downsides are when we get stuff like Sex Pistols becoming Six Bullets or Sticky Fingers becoming Zipper Man because haha what. Still, those names are just necessities for JoJo to gain traction here so whatever, gimme all your Opal Jams and Li'l Bombers, I'm ready

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zipper Man is good. Extremely good.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I don't like things that are different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Paradise's Gate.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

As long as crunchyroll keeps changing just one part of the name ala worse company and shining diamond, i'm down for whatever.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Names like Deadly Queen and Worse Company are good because they're silly bargain bin names that we got when Part 3 was coming out here like Devo becoming D'Bo or Rubber Soul becoming Robber Soul, where the spirit of the name is very much there. Ideally, you'd want all your names to be Shining Diamond or Reverb, something that mixes it up entirely, but strongly keeps the meaning, but yo localization is hard so whatever. The downsides are when we get stuff like Sex Pistols becoming Six Bullets or Sticky Fingers becoming Zipper Man because haha what. Still, those names are just necessities for JoJo to gain traction here so whatever, gimme all your Opal Jams and Li'l Bombers, I'm ready

Six bullets is the worst thing to ever happen to anyone

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Six bullets are about to happen to your face bitch!!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Even though Stardust Crusaders solidly establishes that The World can only stop time and if you're not going to accept artbooks or whatever as proof of that, Steel Ball Run should really be the final tipping point, considering that is pure DIO pandering.

It's not like JoJolion's Killer Queen who has notably different abilities and skills to Diamond is Unbreakable's Killer Queen.

I think I'd like JoJolion's KQ more than DIU's if he'd gotten Bites The Dust.

JoJoLion's KQ is way stronger then DIUs ever was, I would argue it's Sheer Heart Attack may have the same name and appearance but is on a completely different level in regards to abilities; DIU's never shrunk, and it didn't have near the explosive force that JoJoLion's did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

no they will not posted:

Six bullets is the worst thing to ever happen to anyone

Six Pistols would have worked way better and would have been more clever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

JoJoLion's KQ is way stronger then DIUs ever was, I would argue it's Sheer Heart Attack may have the same name and appearance but is on a completely different level in regards to abilities; DIU's never shrunk, and it didn't have near the explosive force that JoJoLion's did.

Yeah. Like, making it very much identifiable with its abilities yet still very different as a whole was an awesome way to go about JJL's KQ.

I love the premise, execution and everything about BTD though so that puts the DIU KQ over JJL's for me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want to think that JJL Kira having the Joestar bloodline is what makes his Stand so much stronger. SHA's shrinking is essentially it having Star Platinum's Star Fingers.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

No disrespect to Hoobajoo but this is literally my second-least favorite Jojo fan theory.

None taken; like I said I don't really find any of the explanations satisfying, so I don't have a personal investment in them. If you don't mind explaining though, why do you dislike it so much? You've definitely thought way more about SDC than me, and at first blush it feels like something DIO has always been working towards, stealing everything from the Joestars. I don't need a big effort post, but I'd like to know where you're coming from.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

My least favorite fan theory is Johnny seriously likes Gyro's jokes.

Johnny being dead-pan and sarcastic is the best. I can't even think of another anime character that acts like that, it's such a Western sense of humor.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh my god they seriously don't get why that exists? Auuhhhhjjj

And yeah I think I've started muting a lot of rando tumblr users who will fill the tags with tedious rants about the name change. We all know you're the biggest fan because Worse Company is absolutely unbearable and there's definitely totally no way around seeing that name in subtitles, ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to think that JJL Kira having the Joestar bloodline is what makes his Stand so much stronger. SHA's shrinking is essentially it having Star Platinum's Star Fingers.

I don't know if it's really stronger, per se. Kira 8's SHA has stronger explosions and there are more of them, but the original was shown to be indestructible and still more than capable of killing (it's hard to say if the new one is equally indestructible because it only came up against a perfect counter). Kira 4's #1 bomb is extremely useful/powerful though. 1 touch and he can erase every molecule from existence. It's a whole different world from Kira 8's bubbles.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
that's true, the Bubbles in JJLKQ definitely don't match the molecular level disintegration that DIUKQ has. I guess it's more akin to shifting explosive power then just being better.

I'd assume the JoJoLion bubbles will explode but it doesn't seem like they disintegrate, just violently rupture.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, he probably could kill you with them if he wanted to. And he can just put Sheer Heart Attack inside you if need be. It's just good. JoJolion is extremely good. Too good.

Kira Yoshikages are the best. :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I don't hate the name changes for the most part, I'm just a little sad they need to happen at all. I'm a big fan of cool names and some Stands have such awesome names it sucks to lose them. Like, Jojo is objectively worse without Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Killer Queen and Paper Moon King.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've just started JoJolion and these Higashikata kids are hosed up I tell you what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i mean, this one actually seems kinda dumb because the translation shouldn't be beholden to the game's localization. my impression is that it's probably a find-and-replace situation though, and they offer a non-game script so it's ultimately fine.

Does it? It seems like a good example of localization's end goal being to present a product for another market, really. I mean, sure, they shouldn't have to adapt things the way the games do, but only providing a Gyakuten Saiban sub and not offering the option for having the Ace Attorney sub is a good way to turn off fans of the latter.

This is also AA specific, but there's a lot you miss out on if you don't get the punny names, like, I guess if I knew the word for grandma, I'd understand what they were going for with "Oba Kaoru," but it's a little more immediately obvious what to expect when I see the name "Wendy Oldbag."