Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

Gene therapy fixes mutations and that's not what drives the aging process.

The average person is more likely to die of complications of cardiovascular disease which is also not driven by mutations or aging.

I think the idea is you turn off the limit on cell reproduction. Right now your cells will only reproduce a certain number of times. So even if you eliminate everything that makes you shake or tremble and are fantastically lucky crossing roads, your genetically perfect body will still suffer a catastrophic failure at around your 124th birthday.

I'm not sure how you handle cardiovascular disease. Even super healthy elderly adults have hardened arteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think the idea is you turn off the limit on cell reproduction. Right now your cells will only reproduce a certain number of times. So even if you eliminate everything that makes you shake or tremble and are fantastically lucky crossing roads, your genetically perfect body will still suffer a catastrophic failure at around your 124th birthday.

I'm not sure how you handle cardiovascular disease. Even super healthy elderly adults have hardened arteries.
Yeah but current gene therapy focuses on CRISPR/Cas9 technology which can't do anything about telomere shortening (which limits stem cell division to a finite number).

Gene therapy will be and has been used to fix somatic point mutations that cause disease.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Just become a lich for the low price of 100k gold pieces and a phylactery

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But they'll be young forever at least because they'll be able to reverse the aging process because gene therapy is magic and all the actual physical changes to your body goes through in aging is just something that can be reversed, like you just reset your body's odometer and suddenly your bones are strong and your organs are new and loving with the stuff that controls cell growth is definitely not going to cause all sorts of fascinating new kinds of cancer 10 years later :allears:

There are a number of people seriously researching what it would take to completely cure old age. Genetic manipulation will certainly be part of it, but staying forever young will probably entail a pretty long list of treatments to fix all the things that wear out (especially if you're already old when this stuff becomes available).

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Yeah but current gene therapy focuses on CRISPR/Cas9 technology which can't do anything about telomere shortening (which limits stem cell division to a finite number).

Gene therapy will be and has been used to fix somatic point mutations that cause disease.

You could hypothetically use CRISPR to flip the switch on telomerase promoters to keep those chromosme butts fit af.

However, the real problem with gene therapy that nobody talks about is that it is basically a prescription for cancer. You have 37 trillion cells, and need to change one base pair in each one. Even with a one in a billion error rate, you are going to accrue many many wrong mutations, some of which may cause cancer. Even if it only causes cancer in 1 out of 100 people, that's a pretty big risk. After all, it only takes one cancerous cell to cause disease.

In vivo gene therapy is still many decades away, in vitro gene therapy though, is right around the corner.

Sepherothic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 22, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sounds expensive. Dying: GWM

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Forever young isn't hard. Just have one of two parents be Asian, duh.

Edit: Oh yeah, and sunscreen. It's GWM. Cheaper than both chemo and prostitutes.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 22, 2016

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

cowofwar posted:

http://bioviva-science.com/2016/04/21/first-gene-therapy-successful-against-human-aging/

quote:

if early data is accurate, it is already the world’s first successful example of telomere lengthening via gene therapy in a human individual

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Just what social security needs, a bunch of immortals

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Barry posted:

That's very true. In the end there can only be one.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Barry posted:

At least they'd be able to wipe their own asses. With people having fewer kids, numerous countries are in very real danger of having more old people than they can care for. There really aren't a lot of options beyond "make it possible for people to live active, independent lives until they get bored of existing" or "go all Logan's Run".

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Cockmaster posted:

At least they'd be able to wipe their own asses. With people having fewer kids, numerous countries are in very real danger of having more old people than they can care for. There really aren't a lot of options beyond "make it possible for people to live active, independent lives until they get bored of existing" or "go all Logan's Run".

There's also "accept young immigrants into your society" but half of pretty much every country will take to the streets and riot if you suggest it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Inverse Icarus posted:

There's also "accept young immigrants into your society" but half of pretty much every country will take to the streets and riot if you suggest it.

Plus it raises the question of who's going to take tare of the old people in their home countries.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Cockmaster posted:

Plus it raises the question of who's going to take tare of the old people in their home countries.

The immigrants tend to come from developing countries where there are higher numbers of children anyway.

Solve easy/casual space flight and terraforming planets before we get around to functional immortality, I say!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I haven't thrown a house party on forever, nor have I smoked a brisket in forever. I essentially bought a bunch of meat and cheap-to-middling beer to give away to my friends tomorrow instead of :smaug:ing my money.

Also, my roommate is moving out in a week and I'm in no hurry to replace that income stream because I'm worried that the older I get, the less likely I'll have a roommate that works out well (although he may have been the best I've ever had regarding money in vs. wear and tear or cramping my lifestyle in any way). I want more money, but I want it to be worth the hassle.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
I just watched the big short. Saving money is bwm

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

HoogieChooChoo posted:

I just watched the big short. Saving money is bwm

I told one of my friends at the bar last night to watch it. I told him that JP Morgan has 63% of its option positions in OTC options. The same ones that were cashed in during the previous crisis. The banks have learnt nothing.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devian666 posted:

I told one of my friends at the bar last night to watch it. I told him that JP Morgan has 63% of its option positions in OTC options. The same ones that were cashed in during the previous crisis. The banks have learnt nothing.
My company has a bunch (not that many, few hundred million notional, single digit millions FV) of OTC options with JPM. We won nicely Q1-3 last year, and JPM (and other banks) has won for the last 2Q..

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It's not like Icarus didn't successfully fly around for a while before running into issues 🐒.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My employer is a big investor in Theranos.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Kareem posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-18/theranos-is-under-investigation-by-sec-u-s-attorney-s-office

Investing in a disruptive unicorn startup headed by a Stanford dropout: BWM.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Working at Walgreens: BWM

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

My company has a bunch (not that many, few hundred million notional, single digit millions FV) of OTC options with JPM. We won nicely Q1-3 last year, and JPM (and other banks) has won for the last 2Q..

That's the sort of performance you'd expect under usual conditions. I hope your company is up on them with 3 good quarters.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just got back from seeing a friend of mine. Said he's got about $45,000 in cryptocurrency, on a $2200 investment. Asked him why he didn't just cash out now.

"I can only cash out $10k per day"

Ok that's only 5 days to get out

"With these kinds of gains it could be worth a millions by the end of the year!"

Ok, why not cash out your original investment plus some?

"Because it's going to keep gaining, I don't want to lose those future gains!"

Ugh.

What the gently caress is Ethereum anyway?

edit: the good news is I explained margin trading to him, and I think he understood it and said he'll avoid doing that. I don't even know how you can trade cryptocurrency on margin.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can trade anything on margin.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Mandingo posted:

Just got back from seeing a friend of mine. Said he's got about $45,000 in cryptocurrency, on a $2200 investment. Asked him why he didn't just cash out now.

"I can only cash out $10k per day"

Ok that's only 5 days to get out

"With these kinds of gains it could be worth a millions by the end of the year!"

Ok, why not cash out your original investment plus some?

"Because it's going to keep gaining, I don't want to lose those future gains!"

Ugh.

What the gently caress is Ethereum anyway?

edit: the good news is I explained margin trading to him, and I think he understood it and said he'll avoid doing that. I don't even know how you can trade cryptocurrency on margin.

You should crosspost this to the bitcoin thread in YOSPOS.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.storehouse.co/stories/o9lon-concrete-cowboys

i hope these young men don't end up horsepoor

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Which scam was this?

I got a knock on my door the other day. It was my downstairs neighbor (I live upstairs in a duplex) telling me someone from DTE was here and needed some information from us. When the dude saw me coming downstairs, he casually waved some badge he had hanging around his neck, and said some vague poo poo about customer service. When I questioned him directly, he said that there had been some complaints about an incorrect charge showing up on everyone's bills, and he'd been sent to make it right, I'd get a credit, whatever. The guy was specifically interested in the gas bill. The gas is shared, and not in my name, but before he found that out, he really, really wanted my DTE account number. I would have sent him packing, buy my neighbor seemed to think it was legit. I think my neighbor did wise up, though. I got a text from him later, saying, "That might have been a scam. Sorry." I'm pretty sure it was, indeed, a scam, but I'm not sure what the end-game was. Was there some scheme to switch us over to another company, or was this the start of a fishing expedition for identity theft, or was it something else, entirely? The dude hadn't asked for any personal information (yet) beyond the account number.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Centripetal Horse posted:

Which scam was this?

I got a knock on my door the other day. It was my downstairs neighbor (I live upstairs in a duplex) telling me someone from DTE was here and needed some information from us. When the dude saw me coming downstairs, he casually waved some badge he had hanging around his neck, and said some vague poo poo about customer service. When I questioned him directly, he said that there had been some complaints about an incorrect charge showing up on everyone's bills, and he'd been sent to make it right, I'd get a credit, whatever. The guy was specifically interested in the gas bill. The gas is shared, and not in my name, but before he found that out, he really, really wanted my DTE account number. I would have sent him packing, buy my neighbor seemed to think it was legit. I think my neighbor did wise up, though. I got a text from him later, saying, "That might have been a scam. Sorry." I'm pretty sure it was, indeed, a scam, but I'm not sure what the end-game was. Was there some scheme to switch us over to another company, or was this the start of a fishing expedition for identity theft, or was it something else, entirely? The dude hadn't asked for any personal information (yet) beyond the account number.

Google Just energy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FadingChord posted:

GWM: You don't need to wear clothes if you're out in the woods by yourself and you can save money on toilet paper by just using whatever leaves you pick up nearby!

You joke but I'm told Native Americans used Mullein leaves as toilet paper because it's so ridiculously soft.

When you touch it, you'll want to rub your rear end all over it as well.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

PCjr sidecar posted:

Google Just energy.

I'm surprised they're not sued into the ground yet

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/utilities/us_energy_savings.html

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i hope these young men don't end up horsepoor

Subjunctive posted:

You can trade anything on margin.

Are horse mortgages a thing? It would combine my two favorite BWM themes into one gloriously toxic package :allears:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Are horse mortgages a thing? It would combine my two favorite BWM themes into one gloriously toxic package :allears:

Then the horse mortgages can be securitized and tranched! With CDSes on the equity slices!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today in "it came from Reddit"...

"My boyfriend wants to keep our finances separate forever. I am worried about how HORRIBLE he is with money [28F, 35M]"

quote:

Together for 3 years. My boyfriend has always said that he will NEVER combine finances with anybody, and all of our money will be separate for the length of our relationship. I am okay with this, though I did suggest we have a "house" account that we each contribute to for emergencies and he didn't want that either. He says his finances are none of my business and vice-versa.

However...he makes HORRIBLE financial decisions. If I try and say something to him, he tells me that "he does what he wants with his money". I pay him my portion of the bills each month, and everything gets paid but watching him be stupid with money drives me nuts.

He financed a $90,000 truck over 8 years and still owes $75k on it.

He has $65k in credit card debt.

He owns two homes, one of which is being rented and pays for itself. However, he only put a 5% down payment on the other one.

He took a vacation while receiving unemployment.

His credit card is constantly overdrawn and he either has to borrow mine and pay me cash or some of our services (Internet, Netflix) get cancelled.

He dips into his IRA if he needs money.

And this is all that I know about! I know that he makes $7,000 a month after taxes. His monthly bills are around $3500-$4000 and I have no clue where the rest goes. He says he's paying off his debts and has a goal to be debt-free in 4 years, but they haven't gone down at all since we got together. I know he isn't into drugs or gambling. He'll get a small pension from work but plans to retire at 55 and I have no clue how he'll be able to afford it.

I KNOW it's not my business because our money is separate and always will be. I'm not exactly Miss Perfect Spender either, but I have no debt and maintain a lifestyle that I can afford on minimum wage (as long as I cut luxuries) if I had to. But watching him blow his money makes me worry. He's never asked me for money but he doesn't work in a very stable industry. On top of that, I think it's just a sign of immaturity that he lives so far above his means.

What should I do? Just butt out and mind my own business? I'm worried about what his spending means for our future. I've tried talking to him about money, but he just says "It's my money' and "You only live once".

tl;dr Finances are separate, but my boyfriend is awful with money.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Those are my favorite people. They believe their modest six-figure income is basically millions, that everyone's trying to get into their pockets and take half. Gotta really look out for their money! So, they refuse to mix financials but then blow their money on every stupid thing imaginable. At least if the girlfriend's hand was in his pants pocket, he gets a HJ. The truck salesman just pulled those pants down and hosed him.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I love how he's so insistent that they keep separate finances when it's the girlfriend having something to say, but he doesn't mind borrowing money from her. That alone, not even accounting for the fact that they will never be financially stable together, would be enough to immediately dump his rear end.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

NancyPants posted:

I love how he's so insistent that they keep separate finances when it's the girlfriend having something to say, but he doesn't mind borrowing money from her. That alone, not even accounting for the fact that they will never be financially stable together, would be enough to immediately dump his rear end.

Yeah, that was what stuck out the most to me too. "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is also mine." At least it'll be easy to disentangle herself from this piece of poo poo when she dumps him.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

reddit posted:

And this is all that I know about! I know that he makes $7,000 a month after taxes. His monthly bills are around $3500-$4000 and I have no clue where the rest goes. He says he's paying off his debts and has a goal to be debt-free in 4 years, but they haven't gone down at all since we got together. I know he isn't into drugs or gambling.

Maybe he has some younger siblings living in poverty, and he secretly supports them financially haha just kidding it's drugs and/or gambling.

Come on, if you've been together for 3 years and still can't talk about financial basics, you might as well split up now, cause it's not gonna change in the next 3 years. Or 30.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CombatInformatiker posted:

Maybe he has some younger siblings living in poverty, and he secretly supports them financially haha just kidding it's drugs and/or gambling.

Come on, if you've been together for 3 years and still can't talk about financial basics, you might as well split up now, cause it's not gonna change in the next 3 years. Or 30.

Yeah, exactly. Why you would consider even living with someone without coming to full agreement is so beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Regardless of the money situation the fact that he owns a $90,000 truck means he's probably an enormous douche manchild so I'm guessing their marriage is going to go fantastic.

• Locked thread