Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Which area is worse, Smoldering Lake or Irithyll Dungeon?

The dungeon owns and the smoldering lake is boring garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

And I just murdered a man on his wedding day.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the best infusion for the dark sword is to infuse yourself with a big pile a garbage because that's what you are

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Decrepus posted:

Posters are unironically posting that Blight Town was good.

VEERY GOOOD

Seriously, lol @ that idea.

I'm loving anor Londo fight club. Coming in as a friendly with another phantom and basically pvp madness

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are the giant crabs supposed to regenerate all of their health when they burrow?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like Farrons Keep.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is anyone else really disappointed they went into NG+? The enemies aren't scaled anywhere near an end game character and it takes all of your ashes so you literally can't stock up on anything good anymore. I should have just left this character for PVP/future DLC and started a new one poo poo.

Does it actually catch up with an endgame character eventually?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm disappointed that they didn't follow in DS2's footsteps and have the NG+ with different and new enemies and item locations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Toriori posted:

Seriously, lol @ that idea.

I'm loving anor Londo fight club. Coming in as a friendly with another phantom and basically pvp madness

I spent a few hours invading there last night and it's really kind of magical, you never know what your gonna get. I've seen impromtu fight clubs, one-on-one honor battles, people trying to glitch out the game, a small army of multicolored phantoms beating eachother up and folks who are genuinely just trying to get though to the fog door.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm disappointed that they didn't follow in DS2's footsteps and have the NG+ with different and new enemies and item locations.

They did, NG+ and NG++ have +1/+2 versions of all the rings scattered around and plot items you've already picked up (the ones it doesn't take away anyway) become soul items.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Is anyone else really disappointed they went into NG+? The enemies aren't scaled anywhere near an end game character

That's how NG+ has always worked in these games (at least in the beginning)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So for all the people having coop issues....

You know if you have a summon sign down you can't see other peoples except invader summons, right?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I spent a few hours invading there last night and it's really kind of magical, you never know what your gonna get. I've seen impromtu fight clubs, one-on-one honor battles, people trying to glitch out the game, a small army of multicolored phantoms beating eachother up and folks who are genuinely just trying to get though to the fog door.

I like helping people at least get to the bonfire before Aldrich, but man I love phantoms of every colour all beating the poo poo out of one another indiscriminately. I just was in one with the host, myself (bluecop currently), mound maker and red phantom. Mound maker would go at me, then decide to turn around and wail on the red phantom.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Is anyone else really disappointed they went into NG+? The enemies aren't scaled anywhere near an end game character and it takes all of your ashes so you literally can't stock up on anything good anymore. I should have just left this character for PVP/future DLC and started a new one poo poo.

I'm @ SL155 in NG++ and no... nothing scaled much at all except bosses hit harder.

Basically you want ~20 Vigor for NG, ~30 for NG+, and 35-40 is fine for NG++ if you aren't good at dodging.

If you're good at not getting punched you really dont need vigor at all.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Are the giant crabs supposed to regenerate all of their health when they burrow?

It's actually tag-team crabs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've been calling them Crab Daddies

I've been giving nicknames to every enemy in the game because I'm a child

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

what do you call those farron keep/smoldering lake assholes that love to jump on you (I call them Neo Mimics)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babe Magnet posted:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does anything particularly interesting happen if you beat DotBV as your first boss instead of bort?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah, you get to skip the predicted path and go directly to the last lord of cinder.

Otherwise, no.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah, you get to skip the predicted path and go directly to the last lord of cinder.

Otherwise, no.

You don't, actually, the key to the archives doesn't spawn until you've collected the other 3 lord souls. The farthest you can get is the Dragonslayer Armor bridge.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not still calling them Giant Enemy Crabs then you have issues

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oh.

lol

Yeah I really don't like DS3s level layout. As much as the elevator system in DS2 was jarring for scenery transitions, the ability to go p.much anywhere anytime was massively better than the FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD we have now.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, I was so bored with NG+ I ended up deleting that file. It never really reaches the same level of challenge as the original run. It mostly just limits your resources again, which more than anything left me feeling like my progress had pointlessly stalled out. Pretty bummed.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Why does not that surprise me. I bet you kick stray puppies too :P

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

what do you call those farron keep/smoldering lake assholes that love to jump on you (I call them Neo Mimics)

they seem like goats to me so I've just been calling them Goatmans

CJacobs posted:

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

yesssssss

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I guess at some point maybe the PSA should be made that unless you want the all-rings cheevo, playing NG+,++, Etc. is really pointless so dont bother.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I burned most of my Twinkling on the Fume UGS and regretted it immediately, is there a place later on where it's farmable?

Also is the Black Knight Great Axe worth it? I still want a big smashy weapon after the Greatsword and Fume UGS were so underwhelming.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Digital_Jesus posted:

I guess at some point maybe the PSA should be made that unless you want the all-rings cheevo, playing NG+,++, Etc. is really pointless so dont bother.

There's a situation where playing this game has a point? Like, can I put it on a resume or something?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CJacobs posted:

You don't, actually, the key to the archives doesn't spawn until you've collected the other 3 lord souls. The farthest you can get is the Dragonslayer Armor bridge.

Are there any particularly interesting items you can get from Lothric Castle early?

All I can recall is the area showering you in titanite, so I guess you could +9 your weapon super early (not that you'd need it if you've beaten Dancer)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My name for those goat dudes in Farron Keep was 'sludge muppets'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

That's how NG+ has always worked in these games (at least in the beginning)

Not to this degree in my experience. Yeah it usually starts out pretty easy but I feel op to a ridiculous degree.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's a situation where playing this game has a point? Like, can I put it on a resume or something?

The Dark Souls 2 NG+ was worth playing for sure

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

inthesto posted:

Are there any particularly interesting items you can get from Lothric Castle early?

All I can recall is the area showering you in titanite, so I guess you could +9 your weapon super early (not that you'd need it if you've beaten Dancer)

Not really.

You can finish the entire game (easily) just by +5ing the frosty straight sword you get in undead settlement. The weapon diversity in DS3 is real bad in terms of usefulness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digital_Jesus posted:

Oh.

lol

Yeah I really don't like DS3s level layout. As much as the elevator system in DS2 was jarring for scenery transitions, the ability to go p.much anywhere anytime was massively better than the FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD we have now.

I much prefer the DS1/3 "linear level progression, open individual level design" approach to DS2's "open level progression, linear level design" approach. Dark Souls 2 has a pretty large dearth of loopbacks, preferring instead to give you bonfires one after the other. I think 3 strikes a good balance.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

We sat like this for maybe 2 minutes and then they promptly destroyed me. All in all a good invasion.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If anyone is ever invaded by a dude named Fugitivos and I try to punch you, please destroy my stupid rear end ASAP because I keep trying to make the caestus work in pvp and in this climate of dark swords and estocs that isn't going to happen

thanks in advance

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Had a guy come at me with a tower shield and...dagger? :wtc:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I backstabbed someone with the immolation tinder and it felt good.

poptart_fairy posted:

Had a guy come at me with a tower shield and...dagger? :wtc:

:byodood: THE SUPREME DEFENSE OF THE GREAT SHIELD COMBINED WITH THE ULTIMATE MOBILITY OF THE DAGGER'S QUICK STEP! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Einwand posted:

You don't. That hole is too large to jump over and it's meant to make you wonder how to reach it when you see it from the other side. Reaching that bonfire requires you to go through pretty much the whole zone, and it gives you a bonfire that pretty much just exists to be slightly closer to the boss.

I actually did make the jump haha. It was just to get the izalith tome