Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

:woop:
These look great. I'm so ready for not-peasant-misery land.

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Geralt still needs to put in some more work if he wants to beat Snake for the best man rear end in gaming.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
New Gwent faction (Skellige) confirmed for Blood & Wine.

e: cards include Madman Lugos and the GOLDEN COCK

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
New Gwent faction in blood and wine, Skellige!

e:fb they showed some new card art too

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yep, Geralt is the sexist person in games. Look at his sultry look.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I am playing on PS4, currently totally stuck at this stupid quest where you take the Peller into the woods and he does some ritual that summons an apparently infinite amount of wraiths.

I end up stun locked and dead no matter what I try to do. This is maybe the most annoying thing I have ever seen in a video game haha

I'm level 10, the quest is level 6(so are the wraiths). Is there some trick I don't know for this quest?

I'm using the right oil, potions, etc. I just end up stun locked from 3-5 of them teleporting around me with no safe place to roll/dodge to.

My only option seems to be to go reload a save from an hour ago and do something else

I have seriously died 10 times already. The 3 minute reload time annoys me more than dying :D

Edit: apparently you can just run around and try to keep the fires lit... I will try that, but I don't see how I can even get near them without getting stunlocked again.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 23, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just lower the difficulty. i won't judge you

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

just lower the difficulty. i won't judge you

Trying to get the trophy for death march though :(

Also good news, if you run too far outside of the area where the ritual is going on, you just start losing life for no reason. Soooo I guess I won't be luring them to one side and just re lighting the fires! :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aggressive application of quen and yrden signs. Get your quen up to protect against backstabbing when the wraiths teleport and try to funnel them into your yrden traps so they'll take full damage from your attacks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dirt posted:

I am playing on PS4, currently totally stuck at this stupid quest where you take the Peller into the woods and he does some ritual that summons an apparently infinite amount of wraiths.

I end up stun locked and dead no matter what I try to do. This is maybe the most annoying thing I have ever seen in a video game haha

I'm level 10, the quest is level 6(so are the wraiths). Is there some trick I don't know for this quest?

I'm using the right oil, potions, etc. I just end up stun locked from 3-5 of them teleporting around me with no safe place to roll/dodge to.

My only option seems to be to go reload a save from an hour ago and do something else

I have seriously died 10 times already. The 3 minute reload time annoys me more than dying :D

Edit: apparently you can just run around and try to keep the fires lit... I will try that, but I don't see how I can even get near them without getting stunlocked again.

Yrden is sign of choice for wraiths

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dirt posted:

Yrden! Use the Yrden! *explodes into fine red mist*

Also: specter oil, and tawny owl (for recast regen). Keep your Quen up!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
No sleeves Geralt best Geralt. God drat whoever designs armor is amazing at balancing cool/theoretical function/and historical fuction.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

dyzzy posted:

There's a panel at PAX about Gwent. They gave out cards :hehe:

drat I wish I could have gone. I would like to buy them from somewhere that's not ebay. And apparently some jerks are already selling their PAX gwent cards on ebay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nasgate posted:

No sleeves Geralt best Geralt. God drat whoever designs armor is amazing at balancing cool/theoretical function/and historical fuction.

I'd like the Ursine Armor better if the skirt stopped just short of the chain-mail. I like the trousers but you can never see them under the big wool dress.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

GoldenNugget posted:

drat I wish I could have gone. I would like to buy them from somewhere that's not ebay. And apparently some jerks are already selling their PAX gwent cards on ebay.

That's pretty lame. I didn't even know about the cards I just wanted to see some Witcher talk. No way I'm selling mine though.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Dirt posted:

Wait, you can keep the fires lit? I always just fought the wraiths until the pellar declares the whole thing a failure.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Han Nehi posted:

Wait, you can keep the fires lit? I always just fought the wraiths until the pellar declares the whole thing a failure.

Yeah I guess you can just keep them lit with Ignii./ interacting with them. My issue with that is I always end up auto turning to face a wraith that just teleported near me every time I try to light the drat things.

Also an update: After dying at least 20 times, I have given up. What a perfect storm of bullshit. First time I ever felt like throwing a controller. Yrden didn't seem to help much. It works great when it's 1-2 Wraiths, but when it's 7 of them and they start teleporting in from every direction and stun locking me, I just give up.

On my first play through I kept the Botchling alive and it was super easy. This is what I get for trying to see other story paths :psyduck:

Gonna go do some other poo poo and come back at level 15 or so, and hopefully be able to 1-2 shot these level 6 wraiths.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just noticed something from Hearts of Stone. Gaunter says that he granted Olgierd his wish, but only through extensive use of O'Dimm's talents and associates. Now, O'Dimm might love to cheat people, but he doesn't exactly lie, so I'm wondering whom his associates might be, considering what he is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just noticed something from Hearts of Stone. Gaunter says that he granted Olgierd his wish, but only through extensive use of O'Dimm's talents and associates. Now, O'Dimm might love to cheat people, but he doesn't exactly lie, so I'm wondering whom his associates might be, considering what he is.
Other poor saps he suckered in to working for him like Geralt perhaps.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I bought this game at release last year and neglected to play it up until a couple of weeks ago. Goddamn did I wish I started earlier :stare: There's so much to gush about this but I'm going to wait until I at least complete the main quest first.

Speaking of which, just got to Skellige. How close am I to the end of the main storyline?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is no end.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Roman Reigns posted:

I bought this game at release last year and neglected to play it up until a couple of weeks ago. Goddamn did I wish I started earlier :stare: There's so much to gush about this but I'm going to wait until I at least complete the main quest first.

Speaking of which, just got to Skellige. How close am I to the end of the main storyline?

Once you finish the set of 3 plot quests, you will start preparing for a big event. Starting this event will lock you into a series of plot quests for a while, but the game will tell you when you are about to do so and give you a chance to save your game. After you finish that series of plot quests, you can wander freely and do sidequests again. After that point you have... I wanna say 2 sets of 3 plot quests before endgame?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dyzzy posted:

There's a panel at PAX about Gwent. They gave out cards :hehe:

You mother fucker I was about 2 minutes late for the line. At least it's not the new cards...

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
Relievers decoction makes wraiths do almost nothing, at least with an alchemy build. Not sure how it would work for a combat or signs build.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

This is great. I look forward to still playing with the Northern Realms!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Roman Reigns posted:

Assuming you've completed the main quest stuff in Velen and Novigrad and just started on Skellige, you're probably a little over half way through the main quest. You have Skellige, then you'll reach a point of no return (the game warns you explicitly) quest. You won't be able to access the rest of the world for a bit, and some quests related to characters you're recruiting for the quest chain will be locked out. Then there's a bunch of hopping around to the different areas preparing for the final confrontation.

This game is huge. I think the thread consensus is that a first playthrough takes ~100 hours (10-15 more for the expansion) depending on how much side questing and gwenting you do, and that is solid content with no real filler to be found.

After you finish Skellige the main quest will build toward what seems like the finale, but totally isn't. I remember being like, there's more?? :stare:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For anyone looking to get some gwent cards, buy the boxed copy of "hearts of stone." Even though I'm on PC, I got the PS4 version for just 35 bucks on Amazon. Well worth it if, like me, you collect anything/everything witcher related.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought the polish boxed PC version of Witcher 3 both because it was like half the price it was online ($30 or so) and also having a box that says WIEDZMIN III is a pretty cool souvenir of my poland trip, and the guy selling it at the store was really excited that a foreigner was buying Witcher 3

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You mother fucker I was about 2 minutes late for the line. At least it's not the new cards...

Are they just making these decks for each faction? I found it weird that the scoiatel and monster decks in this box only have a single spy (avallach) but one of the Eredin powers is to double all spy strength.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Doubling spy strength is bad for spy users though?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah but the power does literally nothing if there are no spies in either deck that have non zero strength.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

It's for punishing other players playing spies. So the opponent plays Djikstra, you use your leader power double him, so he's worth 8 instead of 4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hey cdpr guy, will the second expansion also have a way to jump in with a fresh character with a bunch of skill points to spend?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Sneaky Fast posted:

It's for punishing other players playing spies. So the opponent plays Djikstra, you use your leader power double him, so he's worth 8 instead of 4.

Just to be clear here I am talking about the physical Gwent sets they have out at PAX. There are plenty of spy units in the Witcher 3 but not in this box.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dyzzy posted:

Just to be clear here I am talking about the physical Gwent sets they have out at PAX. There are plenty of spy units in the Witcher 3 but not in this box.

The PAX sets are the Scoia'tael/Monsters decks they produced for the Hearts of Stone expansion. Northern Realms and Nilfgaard decks were made available in limited editions when the game was first released. The decks are all intended to work together, and there's your answer.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
OK cool, thanks!

E: I think I would still play a poo poo ton of spies against monsters, haha

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dyzzy posted:

OK cool, thanks!

E: I think I would still play a poo poo ton of spies against monsters, haha

Yeah considering the usual anti-Monsters tactic is to use the cold weather cards to gently caress over their strength, it's not a huge deal. Oh wow those spies are 2 strength now, definitely going to lose!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
drat I found the lists for the other decks, northern realms / nilfgaard are where it's at.

By it I mean spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought the polish boxed PC version of Witcher 3 both because it was like half the price it was online ($30 or so) and also having a box that says WIEDZMIN III is a pretty cool souvenir of my poland trip, and the guy selling it at the store was really excited that a foreigner was buying Witcher 3

This is so cute :buddy: