Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I'm kind of scared of what FROM would be capable of if they used all the colors

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Wagrid posted:

You mean what if it took inspiration from a different terrible area that nobody liked?

I liked spooky screaming fog woods :smith:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Wagrid posted:

Valley of Defilement was the best one though.

I don't know man, I still shudder thinking about the giant club mobs splitting my skull open while I was wading through literal poo poo and fetuses. It was an impossibly huge swamp too.

But yeah, it was the best one. That sense of isolation and mystery with just splashing water and damp sounds in the background. And you really couldn't see anything at all on top.

Would like Demon's Souls 2. Keep the really pared down plot, focus on the immediate atmosphere and world, and not worry about leaving a legacy behind.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 24, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope we get a sequel to the Adventures of Cookie and Cream next

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I liked spooky screaming fog woods :smith:

IIRC, I did that right after doing The Rotten's area and those in tandem is what made me really start to turn on Dark Souls 2. Then I did Earthen Peak, which I also remember finding tedious.

I'll give you that the spooky fog woods were at least more original than Valley of Defilement.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I'm kind of scared of what FROM would be capable of if they used all the colors

snipe

I imagine it would look something like this.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Had to put off boss-slaying for half a week due to my wrist but finally finished the game. Soul of Cinder phase 2 sure is a lot easier than phase 1, unless he starts his combo while you're mid-animation and can't get away in time. Seriously, gently caress that lance-form.

Hitting those big dragon-dudes in Archdragon Peak for 1400 with Sunlight Spear is fun, kinda disappointed with it hitting sub-1k in general though. But I guess pumping my Faith some more should remedy that!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh, wish I knew about Heysel's gesture before I killed Abyss Watchers. I guess I'll have to get it in NG+.

Speaking of which, is there anything new in NG+ aside from the upgraded rings?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I found the drowned city in DS1 to be really good, Dark Wraithes aside. It looked legitimately wet and every step sounded appropriate.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't know man, I still shudder thinking about the giant club mobs splitting my skull open while I was wading through literal poo poo and fetuses. It was an impossibly huge swamp too.

But yeah, it was the best one. That sense of isolation and mystery with just splashing water and damp sounds in the background. And you really couldn't see anything at all on top.

Would like Demon's Souls 2. Keep the really pared down plot, focus on the immediate atmosphere and world, and not worry about leaving a legacy behind.

I'd like it if they did another game with that approach (I feel like Bloodborne is the closest they've come), but I don't want another Demon's Souls though. I feel like the premise would be pretty weak and I'd rather see something wholly new.

I just really want science fantasy souls with Bloodborne's mechanics.

Insurrectionist posted:

Had to put off boss-slaying for half a week due to my wrist but finally finished the game. Soul of Cinder phase 2 sure is a lot easier than phase 1, unless he starts his combo while you're mid-animation and can't get away in time. Seriously, gently caress that lance-form.

I was jolly co-oping that fight last night and it never got old seeing the host and their other phantoms avoiding all the sword swings, then charging in to get hit with the big explosion.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 24, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should really finish DS1 one of these days.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
New Londo is a high point in DS1, I remember that gave me the first inkling that something really hosed up was going on in Lordran.

The way Lordran is referred to as Londor in DS3, is that just the name getting forgotten and muddled with Anor Londo over history? It's referenced to multiple times.

Sakurazuka posted:

I should really finish DS1 one of these days.

You really should, it has a great endboss. The abyss expansion is exceptional too.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i saw a speedrunner do the yhorm fight without the gimmick and that fight seems way cooler and if you know the OTHER gimmick isn't even very long.

i think you forgot to put up a link somewhere...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It really needs an HD port with the frame rate issues fixed and maybe the cloth effects on armor from DkS2/3 or something, but Dark Souls is a loving great game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

New Londo is a high point in DS1, I remember that gave me the first inkling that something really hosed up was going on in Lordran.

The way Lordran is referred to as Londor in DS3, is that just the name getting forgotten and muddled with Anor Londo over history? It's referenced to multiple times.

You really should, it has a great endboss. The abyss expansion is exceptional too.

Londor… I've never heard the name.
Is that what they call this place now?
Hah hah…Very good, very good indeed.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Ugh, wish I knew about Heysel's gesture before I killed Abyss Watchers. I guess I'll have to get it in NG+.

One thing that sucks with Heysel is you can't get the Silvercat Ring from Sirris + Heysel's gesture on the same playthrough (because you need to join Rosaria to summon Heysel) I didn't get that dumb gesture until NG++

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ciaphas posted:

Seems my skills at this sort of game have badly deteriorated. Vordt is handing me my rear end repeatedly and often, but I don't want to summon help because that's like giving up :smith:

I've summoned on almost every boss. I beat Bloodborne completely solo, but I don't have as much free time to play anymore, so co-op just removes the "bang head against boss for an hour or two" part of the game.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nope. The Fire Keeper explicitly mentions "the old gods of Lordran" before you go to the Kiln. Londor is a different thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If Londor is a place from the previous games it's probably New Londo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As I recall, Londor has always been one of those places player characters come from, like Catarina. That may just be me confusing it for somewhere else, though.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 24, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After Oceiros...is that the Lordvessel?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
And who the gently caress is Ocelotte?
Is it a hint at "Chanalotte"?
They kinda share the "child of Dragons"/"Born of Dragons" thing...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically my problem with Farron is that instead of doing something new, they went back to the same thing they do in every game because From just loves their stupid poison swamps of tedium. Imagine if, for example, Farron didn't slow your movement constantly but your vision was heavily obscured by mist like that one forest in DS2. Navigating it would still be hard, but once you know where you're going it wouldn't be tedious to get through. They could actually put more dangerous enemies in as well instead of a plethora of slugs. Big open levels are pretty rare in this series, so having one like this would be neat. Instead its just lower Blighttown redux. Its so dull.

I actually like Shrine of Amana since they did something new with movement restriction instead of it just being another big swamp full of softball enemies. Its an interesting and unique challenge as opposed to POISON POISON POISON.

I agree to this. Trudging slowly through the poison muck wasn't challenging, it was just annoying. Same could be said for the toxic, spider lady filled swamp in Profaned Capital, it just sucked and I hated the idea of having to go back.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I think you mean Oceloooooootte!

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ocelotte is Prince Not Appearing in This Game. Busy telling people about the enemy sniper presumably. The name does seem to be a nod towards Shanalotte, yeah. Might turn up in a DLC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh that's cool crystal demons, just knock my camera outside the map, that's ok, you can't see anything here anyway.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
They say in Londor, Souls come first. Oooh Londor is a place on Earth.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wagrid posted:

Prince Not Appearing in This Game

too soon, pal

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Too soon. . . for a Monty Python reference?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
the artist formerly known as Ocelotte

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I Did Die 4 U

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wagrid posted:

Ocelotte is Prince Not Appearing in This Game. Busy telling people about the enemy sniper presumably. The name does seem to be a nod towards Shanalotte, yeah. Might turn up in a DLC.

Come to think of it, Shana is a girl, and Ocelotte is referred to as "he".
But she does say she "didnt come out as they expected" so he might see the son he wanted in her.
On the other hand, what do reptiloids know of genders.

In a most likely unrelatred note i noticed he seems to kinda press his left hand against his stomach constantly during phase one... and devouring people is a thing in this game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
some of the old shots from that leak like a year ago:

Gundyr

Greatwall first area

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The starting enemy guys in Untended Graves can do 1000 damage to me in two hits. This place isn't loving around.

e: The three second stunlock sure isn't loving helping. Rip 60000 souls.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 24, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ocelotte is the youngest child of Oceiros, born after he became a hosed up dragon man due to Seath worship and whatever the hell else he was up to. Ocelotte is, presumably, the source of the strange warbling dragon baby noises you hear until the second phase of the fight.

It seems to be the case that you murdered an invisible infant that Oceiros was cradling, thus resulting in his freakout phase 2. We already know draconic hybrids turning invisible is a thing thanks to Priscilla.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In a most likely unrelatred note i noticed he seems to kinda press his left hand against his stomach constantly during phase one... and devouring people is a thing in this game.

Thats how one might cradle a baby :ssh:

PollosBromanos
May 18, 2012
So I ran into Anri at the bridge, but I went right to Wolnir instead of exploring the Smouldering Lake/Horace and now she's gone. Did I just gently caress up the quest line or can I take care of Horace and run into her at Irithyll?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Come to think of it, Shana is a girl, and Ocelotte is referred to as "he".
But she does say she "didnt come out as they expected" so he might see the son he wanted in her.
On the other hand, what do reptiloids know of genders.

Oh that wasn't what I was getting at at all. I just mean that they used the same naming convention for Ocelotte as a nod to the previous game. Other than both being dragon/human hybrids the two aren't linked at all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

It seems to be the case that you murdered an invisible infant that Oceiros was cradling, thus resulting in his freakout phase 2. We already know draconic hybrids turning invisible is a thing thanks to Priscilla.

I just thought he was crazy or it was some kind of grief thing until I read this, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

some of the old shots from that leak like a year ago:

Gundyr

Greatwall first area

The final version of Gundyr didn't have all those swords on the ground right? Shame that was cool.

Also another huge Berserk reference.