Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope at some point Kimmy drinks Funky Juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Xealot posted:

(Another instance: Lillian at one point drinks a tallboy can of "Old Spanish," a fictitious drink that first appeared on 30 Rock, and that a character orders on Mad Men as a nod to that. It's apparently red wine, tonic water, and olives...which sounds absolutely disgusting.)

I thought the joke was just that it was an off-brand somehow-worse Olde English.

The one great Mad Men reference is when Kimmy says to Gretchen "The Reverend was a psycho liar who claimed he came up with the Buy The World a Coke commercial!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

FactsAreUseless posted:

That said, it's not a great episode. Suddenly dropping the Mickey story in favor of something else was probably a mistake when trying to pace such a short season, although I did like Lillian's part in the episode.

Mickeying hasn't been a thing in the community for years., though.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I loved Lillian getting mad at Methhead Charlie and referring to him as Methadone H Charles.

Season 2 was great and I'm sad that I binged it all so soon :(

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I SMELL A MAN!

Amy Sedaris knocked everything out of the park.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

On the other hand I just tried to read the AVclub thing about that episode and I think it's put me off reading episode criticisms of anything forever.

I thought it was pretty accurate, tbh. That episode was dumb and I do think it missed the point. But even then it had some pretty great jokes (Top 5 Hitlers, Internet talking like Chandlers). And FWIW the Binge Watch review from AV Club was much more positive.

I like how every character seems to exist in the same universe as a show the actors have been in based on all the references - Lisa Kudrow + Friends, Ellie Kemper + The Office, even "Kim Blake Nelson."

Favorite jokes were the puppet and Ice T's eulogy. I was dying at the "yes and" of his final words.

Also nobody has mentioned that the family owning the Redskins were even called the Snyders. Wonder if Dan himself will throw a fit and accuse Fey of antisemitism.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 22, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Henchman of Santa posted:

That episode was dumb and I do think it missed the point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-qCyYZRms

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Rewatching season 1, there's a ton of stuff they reference. The Velcro, Kimmy being an uber driver, Alabama!, and I'm sure more.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This show is mostly kind of boring for me. Best parts were the "NOW: That's like music" gag episode. Kimmy making a theme song for kitty and bunny, but the absolute best was Tina Fey's cameo in the later episodes. She is great and seeing her bounce between straight and joke characters was fantastic. Feels like this show underutilized Jane K. a lot, I thought she'd have a lot more range in the first season but they've really kind of just said "gently caress is she's her dumb 30 rock character with a Native American heritge joke tagged on". The romance with her asian BF didn't go anywhere and I hoped we'd move past that..which we did by the end.

Enjoyable, not A list comedy but enough good jokes and it's easy to watch. B+

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jeff Richmond is a huge part of what makes Tina Fey / Robert Carlock shows so funny: the music direction is on point. There's the obvious stuff like the song parody episode ("I'm Freaking Out" is comedy perfection) but even just the normal scoring is consistently great. e.g. the upbeat music in the montage where Kimmy is letting Gretchen make her own (terrible) decisions really drives it along with a great energy and makes the jokes land harder.

Jeff Richmond is their secret comedy John Williams.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

thanks alot assbag posted:

I loved Lillian getting mad at Methhead Charlie and referring to him as Methadone H Charles.

Season 2 was great and I'm sad that I binged it all so soon :(

Hahaha holy poo poo how did I miss this, this is basically the same joke as when Tracy called Liz "Elizabeth Lemonade"

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Titus song about outside bones is the hardest I have laughed at anything in a long time. I keep chuckling just thinking about it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Tituss Burgess could read the back of a shampoo bottle and I'd be on the floor. His timing and delivery are just so consistently excellent.
I want to see him in more stuff, especially if it's comedy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Onion Knight posted:

Tituss Burgess could read the back of a shampoo bottle and I'd be on the floor. His timing and delivery are just so consistently excellent.

Line read of the season might be "I've been exploited in the past. I once went to an open audition that was just a bumfight."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Onion Knight posted:

The 30 Rock episodes he's in are really hilarious, purely becuase of his presance.

Da'Fawn has forgotten his catch phrase...

Xealot posted:

I don't put it past Tina Fey. Between this and 30 Rock, there are probably dozens of cross-references to Mad Men. Also relevant to this point: Anna Camp played Bethany Van Nuys, a woman Don dates after divorcing Betty who's essentially a younger version of Betty.

(Another instance: Lillian at one point drinks a tallboy can of "Old Spanish," a fictitious drink that first appeared on 30 Rock, and that a character orders on Mad Men as a nod to that. It's apparently red wine, tonic water, and olives...which sounds absolutely disgusting.)

I need to rewatch Mad Men, I barely remember that.

And the Olde Spanish sounds like one of the drinks Doctor Venture makes on the Venture Bros. A Doctail.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I need to rewatch Mad Men, I barely remember that.

Ted Chaough orders one at a bar. I don't actually remember the episode though!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Was feeling pretty depressed the past couple days. Spending my Friday night rewatching episodes 9 and 10 is great therapy, though.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Xealot posted:

I don't put it past Tina Fey. Between this and 30 Rock, there are probably dozens of cross-references to Mad Men. Also relevant to this point: Anna Camp played Bethany Van Nuys, a woman Don dates after divorcing Betty who's essentially a younger version of Betty.

Yep, there's also Sam Harris, who plays the former soldier that Kimmy meets in Ep 7. He also played Joan's husband who volunteered to go to Vietnam in Mad Men, although he's a much less lovely person on UBS.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Sash! posted:

Ted Chaough orders one at a bar. I don't actually remember the episode though!

It's the episode where they've just done a pitch to the ketchup people.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Line read of the season might be "I've been exploited in the past. I once went to an open audition that was just a bumfight."

Didn't Titus mention being on a Bumfights DVD in season one? Ah, Bumfights. I wonder what happened to that guy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SEX BURRITO posted:

It's the episode where they've just done a pitch to the ketchup people.

Didn't Titus mention being on a Bumfights DVD in season one? Ah, Bumfights. I wonder what happened to that guy.

I've never seen anything about Bumfights aside from the maker's Dr. Phil interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x1hsC-YKAA

You can't tell me that Dr. Phil knew all of that would happen; the Bumfights guy is definitely a piece of poo poo but he knows how to make a good joke. Couldn't stop laughing when he walked onto the stage.

Edit: I wanted to make a prison rape joke but I don't think the Bumfights guy ever got arrested.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I thought Jeff Goldblum was supposed to be more Dr. Oz than Dr. Phil.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sober posted:

I thought Jeff Goldblum was supposed to be more Dr. Oz than Dr. Phil.

Naw, Dr. Oz is more of a snake oil salesman. If Goldbloom was shilling some miracle cure then it would be more Oz.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'm pretty sure there's a robot sighting in every episode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Robot high five is the best.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The lead on this show is absolutely fantastic and was wasted on this office

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The lead on this show is absolutely fantastic and was wasted on this office

I loved her on The Office. Easily the best character they added in the later seasons.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I SMELL A MAN!

Amy Sedaris knocked everything out of the park.

It's great how she owns this role completely, and also the role of her total opposite, Princess Caroline.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I could ask this in general chat but trust you guys right now. If i was to finally watch 30 rock would it be ok to start with season 2? I feel most comedies seem to really get going there.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's a good plan

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I could ask this in general chat but trust you guys right now. If i was to finally watch 30 rock would it be ok to start with season 2? I feel most comedies seem to really get going there.
No, 30 Rock has a strong first season. I like the early episodes more than most people, but there's some great stuff starting around 3 or 4, and around 6 it really comes together. The last half of S1 and all of S2 are probably the show's strongest run.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Pretty much. The joke pace is way slower in the first season, there's a lot less of Jane Krakowski's character and it took them awhile to figure out Alec Baldwin's character.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
You have to at least watch Tracy Does Conan from season one. It's one of my favorite episodes of the whole show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, 30 Rock has a strong first season. I like the early episodes more than most people, but there's some great stuff starting around 3 or 4, and around 6 it really comes together. The last half of S1 and all of S2 are probably the show's strongest run.

Agreed.

Ep. 4: Jack sits in on the writers' room
Ep. 5: Jack acts in a sketch
Ep. 6: Jack meets Dennis
Ep. 7: Tracy does Conan

That's one of the strongest runs in the entire series and it sets up a lot of the characters. I wouldn't skip it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jack's bad acting in episode 5 is incredible. "It's called racial integration... wait, is that right?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea skipping Jack meets Dennis would be a crime.

"Does he know you're the beeper king?"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jack's bad acting in episode 5 is incredible. "It's called racial integration... wait, is that right?"

"Intergortion?"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Can I get two cups?

or

New synergy, new synergy... Does that sound like news energy to anyone?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also you miss Jack whispering apologies at Liz before exploding into berating her for addressing him by his Christian name in front of Ron Gordon and Bob Obermeyer, the gentleman from Fairfield.

Ever since then, I have referred to pizza as greasy peasant food.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
I really enjoyed this season. I liked it even more than the first one. It was really spot on in every way.

juniperjones fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Good season. I think this might have gotten the biggest laugh from me:

• Locked thread