Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Breyer posted:

But the point is they lost, because, says the Court, we can't let you just sue on the basis that you, as a taxpayer, will have to spend more money. Because if we do, taxpayers all over the country will be suing in all kinds of cases, many of which will involve nothing more than political disagreements of all kinds. And before you know it, power will be transferred from the President and the Congress, where power belongs, to a group of unelected judges.

And for that reason, we say you individuals who will have to pay more money will; cannot just sue on that basis. And as for the State, it cannot represent you parens patriae because this is between the Federal government and the citizens. They're the ones who have to pay.

It's pretty good reasoning, but the crazy part about it is that it's even more tenuous than that. The example cedes the question of whether or not this harm actually exists.

Texas is not required to give driver's licenses to anyone. Texas is choosing to do so, and even if it was decided later by a court that they were required to give licenses on some grounds then that still wouldn't require Texas to subsidize the granting of licenses. So Texas is trying to say they're harmed by Federal by citing licenses they're choosing to give and choosing to subsidize.

Then even if you do consider this state program funding issue to be actual harm then it should still be thrown out under the rationale in Massachusetts v. Mellon described by Breyer. The fact that this case was able to make it this far to be argued is really a testament to how partisan some members of the judiciary can be.

While SCOTUS justices can be partisan as well, the visibility of their work really incentivizes them to not be so nakedly partisan. That's why I think they'll be able to put together 5 justices. I think at least 5 of them will be able to see the absurdity of the suit or be convinced of it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Are people staying angry about Merrick Garnish, or whoever it was again?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, he still hasn't had a hearing, so...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

On a certain day, to uncertain parents, incarnate jowls and star reborn.

Neither homosexuality nor age can harm him. The Curse-of-Flesh before him flies.

In caverns dark Reagan's eye sees, and makes to shine the jowls and star.

A stranger's voice unites the States. The NRA calls him Hortator.

A stranger's hand unites the Convention. Focus on the Family calls him Nerevarine.

He honors blood of the child unborn. He imprisons the abortionists, and is reborn.

His justice punishes the cursed false gods, punishes the broken, punishes the mad.

With Garland's nomination, the thread of prophecy is severed. Elect a Republican President to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the better world you have created.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Adequate posted:

On a certain day, to uncertain parents, incarnate jowls and star reborn.

Neither homosexuality nor age can harm him. The Curse-of-Flesh before him flies.

In caverns dark Reagan's eye sees, and makes to shine the jowls and star.

A stranger's voice unites the States. The NRA calls him Hortator.

A stranger's hand unites the Convention. Focus on the Family calls him Nerevarine.

He honors blood of the child unborn. He imprisons the abortionists, and is reborn.

His justice punishes the cursed false gods, punishes the broken, punishes the mad.

Does the NRA pronounce it whore-tater?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Technogeek posted:

With Garland's nomination, the thread of prophecy is severed. Elect a Republican President to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the better world you have created.

I love you for this

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Technogeek posted:

:golfclap: A more fitting addition I could not have imagined.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah, that's A+ Morrowind posting. Is Obama's recess appointing Garland in the seconds between this Congress and the next looting Wraithguard from Vivec and brute forcing the prophecy?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wulfolme posted:

Are people staying angry about Merrick Garnish, or whoever it was again?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/scotus#confirmation-tracker

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ErIog posted:

It's pretty good reasoning, but the crazy part about it is that it's even more tenuous than that. The example cedes the question of whether or not this harm actually exists.

Texas is not required to give driver's licenses to anyone. Texas is choosing to do so, and even if it was decided later by a court that they were required to give licenses on some grounds then that still wouldn't require Texas to subsidize the granting of licenses. So Texas is trying to say they're harmed by Federal by citing licenses they're choosing to give and choosing to subsidize.

Then even if you do consider this state program funding issue to be actual harm then it should still be thrown out under the rationale in Massachusetts v. Mellon described by Breyer. The fact that this case was able to make it this far to be argued is really a testament to how partisan some members of the judiciary can be.

While SCOTUS justices can be partisan as well, the visibility of their work really incentivizes them to not be so nakedly partisan. That's why I think they'll be able to put together 5 justices. I think at least 5 of them will be able to see the absurdity of the suit or be convinced of it.

Why did the lower court rule against Obama? Isn't it pretty unusual for an appeals court to issue a stay?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Why did the lower court rule against Obama? Isn't it pretty unusual for an appeals court to issue a stay?

They found a conservative judge that disliked Obama, then got it sent to the conservative 5th circuit.

The legal reasoning I believe is whether it was issued properly, ie whether it should have been subject to notice and comment

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

EwokEntourage posted:

The legal reasoning I believe is whether it was issued properly, ie whether it should have been subject to notice and comment

That was the district courts reasoning. But the 5th circuit thinks that the take care clause means something bizarre and totally ahistorical.

Edit: no I'm wrong the fifth circuit didn't say that. Worse, the SCOTUS itself asked the parties to brief that ridiculous question. The fifth circuit did think the executive had exceeded its statutory authority though.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 22, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving lost my poo poo when I noticed Thomas back there.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

loving lost my poo poo when I noticed Thomas back there.

Can you imagine if anyone outside of the wonk addicts saw that on TV all the time?

Lordy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RuanGacho posted:

Can you imagine if anyone outside of the wonk addicts saw that on TV all the time?

Lordy

Clarence's naps are why we do not have TV cameras filming oral argument.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does he snore?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gyges posted:

Does he snore?

dude probably sounds like a '94 civic with a coffee can attached to the exhaust header.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gyges posted:

Does he snore?

He actually is listening to the arguments; you can tell if you read opinions he wrote, and he often leans over and whispers something (typically to Breyer).

The idea that Thomas is lazy or disengaged is dumb as poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

He actually is listening to the arguments; you can tell if you read opinions he wrote, and he often leans over and whispers something (typically to Breyer).

Yeah he just doesn't normally ask questions during oral arguments, which may change given how much of the talking was done by Scalia.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalman posted:

When I saw an oral argument if he wasn't asleep there was no way to tell. Eyes closed, head down exactly as if he was napping.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

When I saw an oral argument if he wasn't asleep there was no way to tell. Eyes closed, head down exactly as if he was napping.

I've definitely seen him go from exactly that posture to talking to Breyer.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't he of the opinion that oral arguments are pointless since everything is being submitting in writing anyways? I can't exactly say he's wrong there.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's not like we're missing much by not having more insight into the leanings of the most predictable Justice on the bench.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Larch posted:

Isn't he of the opinion that oral arguments are pointless since everything is being submitting in writing anyways? I can't exactly say he's wrong there.

That, and he thinks it is disrespectful to counsel to eat up their limited time. I tend to think that is a pretty fair opinion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or he's just a lazy old prick that gets away with napping at work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oral arguments might not matter often, but if they matter ever, they’re worth having because of how high the stakes are.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Even if they're mostly a kind of theater, it's nice that some aspect of the Supreme Court's procedure take place in full view of the public.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Squizzle posted:

It's not like we're missing much by not having more insight into the leanings of the most predictable Justice on the bench.

Mostly, down in his chair and head forward.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Thomas says that oral arguments are pointless because the constitution either permits something or it doesn't and you can't "argue a right into existence."

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So I guess he's more saying that he will never be convinced by an argument as to the constitutionality of any given topic because he is just that confident in his infallible interpretation of the document.

I see a few parallels with biblical literalist types there.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thomas says that oral arguments are pointless because the constitution either permits something or it doesn't and you can't "argue a right into existence."

Yeah, nor can you "brief a right into existence." He's basically saying he already knows the law, and it doesn't matter what the parties say.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
OK now if we can just get a joke about Thomas needing to speak for Scalia or being unsure what opinion to hold now that Big S is gone we can have liberal racism bingo.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Platystemon posted:

Oral arguments might not matter often, but if they matter ever, they’re worth having because of how high the stakes are.
Well, only in so much as we think oral arguments are more likely to result in just outcomes than written ones. Maybe oral arguments are biased towards attractive looking speakers from non-minority groups, for example.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShadowHawk posted:

Well, only in so much as we think oral arguments are more likely to result in just outcomes than written ones. Maybe oral arguments are biased towards attractive looking speakers from non-minority groups, for example.

Clearly the solution here is to have all parties wear Darth Vader costumes, complete with voice modulators.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That, and he thinks it is disrespectful to counsel to eat up their limited time. I tend to think that is a pretty fair opinion.

Fair, but the solution is to remove the time limit not to shut up. The decisions of the court are earth shaking, why do we have a stage hook on the lawyers like it's an open mic night?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Larch posted:

You might be surprised how often judges can misread or misunderstand something written clearly in plain English.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Fair, but the solution is to remove the time limit not to shut up. The decisions of the court are earth shaking, why do we have a stage hook on the lawyers like it's an open mic night?

Have you met any lawyers? If there were no time limit, oral arguments in Marbury v. Madison would still be ongoing.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK now if we can just get a joke about Thomas needing to speak for Scalia or being unsure what opinion to hold now that Big S is gone we can have liberal racism bingo.

I've got to say, "black people are strict constitutionalists" is a new stereotype to me. Exactly what part of the country are you from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mercury_Storm posted:

So I guess he's more saying that he will never be convinced by an argument as to the constitutionality of any given topic because he is just that confident in his infallible interpretation of the document.

I see a few parallels with biblical literalist types there.

How often do you think a sitting member of the SCOTUS has been swayed by oral arguments? Even Roberts' last second swap on the ACA doesn't appear related to arguments.

Plus the idea someone thinks they've got such a good argument that they can sway a justice's view on the subject is insane. No orator will ever be able to convince RBG that abortion is bad, or talk someone like Alito in to supporting gun control.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Because spending a few more days arguing your case isn't actually going to swap the justices to accept or ignore evidence they can and will read without listening to a lawyer speak and grandstand.