Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
food-rf
May 18, 2014
So, eighty relatives of people who died in the Germanwings murder-suicide have just filed a lawsuit against Lufthansa flight training in the US (where the guy was trained): http://www.koco.com/national/germanwings-crash-us-flight-school-sued/39005892

Any folks from the US willing to comment on what the effects of that could be, especially regarding the large volume of foreign nationals (not just Europe but also Asia) receiving training in the US?
To me as a foreigner, it seems like it could be serious trouble for the training industry in the US, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

food-rf posted:

So, eighty relatives of people who died in the Germanwings murder-suicide have just filed a lawsuit against Lufthansa flight training in the US (where the guy was trained): http://www.koco.com/national/germanwings-crash-us-flight-school-sued/39005892

Any folks from the US willing to comment on what the effects of that could be, especially regarding the large volume of foreign nationals (not just Europe but also Asia) receiving training in the US?
To me as a foreigner, it seems like it could be serious trouble for the training industry in the US, right?

What the hell does his flight training have to do with the mental state required to nose-dive an airplane full of people into a mountain?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gotta sue somethin'

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

food-rf posted:

Only if they win the lawsuit. And then probably still only for Airline Training Center Arizona. But I don't see any likely legal grounds for them to win; the flight school isn't responsible for medically qualifying a pilot; that's the pilot and Aviation Medical Examiner who issued his medical. The only likely liable parties are Germanwings/Lufthansa since he was acting on their behalf and whoever issued his medical/provided medical care to him, but those are likely in Germany where I'm going to guess it's not as easy to file a lawsuit.

e:

MrYenko posted:

What the hell does his flight training have to do with the mental state required to nose-dive an airplane full of people into a mountain?

See, if they only taught him to take off and not to descend this couldn't have happened! Nothing ever goes wrong with student pilots who only care about takeoffs and not landings.

fordan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 13, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

food-rf posted:

There's probably going to be zero effect from that lawsuit, since Americans love filing lawsuits almost as much as we love shooting things.

Even assuming the families manage to win a massive judgement in court (the two most likely outcomes are that the suit isn't allowed to proceed, or an out-of-court settlement if it does move forward), the impact would just be limited to the Lufthansa facility, and the worse case scenario would probably result in Lufthansa briefly closing the facility before re-opening it as a separate legal entity, on top of stringing out the process as long as possible via appeals and other legal maneuvers.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
double post

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Result of lawsuit: min 5,000 hours in type to be FO.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jealous Cow posted:

Exactly.

Just take our lord and savior Captain Sully's advice and only hire experienced pilots, I don't see what's so hard about this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All pilots must be cloned from Lord Sully.

The future of air transport is a clone army.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jealous Cow posted:

Any pilot crazy enough to build 5,000 hours just to get into the airlines should be automatically banned from flying due to mental health issues.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jealous Cow posted:

All pilots must be cloned from Lord Sully.

The future of air transport is a clone army.

A sentient clone army with soothing voices who can easily be used as propaganda pieces for politicians to push policy with!

So like HAL 9000, only the internal crisis is caused because they know their 15 minutes ends soon instead of keeping alien life secret.

Speaking of, Sully's handlers/The Families are pissed at Mike Rounds for proposing some flight time being credited for initial airline training: http://bit.ly/1qJPxKN

quote:

""When it comes to something as technical as pilot training, you would expect this amendment to come from someone on the committee of jurisdiction, so this makes you wonder who Senator Rounds is talking to when he is the one that puts this forward," stated Scott Maurer of Palmetto, Florida, who lost his thirty year old daughter Lorin. "Clearly this is being pushed by or on behalf of the Regional Airline Association, and there obviously is a South Dakota angle here."

:ironicat:

e-

quote:

This came on the heels of the previous six fatal commercial crashes all occurring on regional carriers between 2001 and 2009.

By my count, that's?:
2004- Air Midwest B-1900, CLT (Maintenance)
2004- Corporate Airlines J31, Kirksville (Scud Runnin')
2005- Chalk's G-73, MIA (Maintenance)
2006- Comair, LEX (Failure to board the right aircraft, read taxiway signs, and verify runway heading.)
2009- Colgan (Dash 8 done backed into the ground)

...are they including the Pinnacle ferry flight?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 15, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I think the airline minimums, nay all commercial minimums, should be 1 less hour than my total useful time.

Hope this helps!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 15, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How much time does somebody spend in the sim during initial training? It can't be much they're asking to get credited.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CBJSprague24 posted:

How much time does somebody spend in the sim during initial training? It can't be much they're asking to get credited.

The LR60 was 5 days at 2 hours in each seat not counting a check ride of about 2.5 hours.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

My intital Q400 training was around 48 hours total in the sim (it might be less for airlines operating simpler airplanes), which is a hell of a lot less time than the FAA credits for just spending $200k for a degree from UND or Riddle.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

CBJSprague24 posted:

You can count up to 25 hours multi-engine time in a full motion sim according to part 61.159 for the ATP license. Total time in the sim for IOE ranges from 20 to 50 hours or more, depending on the person...

e: goddamit forgot to refresh the page before posting, at least I cited a reg :mad:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Apparently a BA airbus hit a drone near Heathrow earlier today. Incoming FAA regulations!

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ours came to about 40 hours on a DA42 sim during initial IR (this is in addition to the 250 hours needed in a real plane for the initial licence (CPL/IR/Frozen ATPL) issue), then 40 hrs A320 for MCC (10 days), and then another Full Flight 40-48hrs (10 days training, 2 days LPC/OPC) (cardboard bomber/fixed base was about 20 hours (5 days)) for the A320 type rating. Then came circuits in an A319 (most fun ever - use the trays as skateboards in the cabin...).

Subsequent full type ratings are all around the 15 day/ 60 hour mark.

From memory initial licence issue could claim up to 10 hours (of 250) and when we convert to ATP we could claim a maximum of 100 hours (of which 10 could be Fixed base) out of the 1500 required.

NB Groundschool theory is additional non-sim time with no credit

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 18, 2016

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Flying on a 717 tomorrow :dance:
(PDX-LAX on Delta)

Just missing the 777 and 787 now. Keep getting stuck on Airbii for my overseas :argh:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Have gone almost completely paperless and I love it. I still maintain a physical log book because a log book is awesome.

E: aaaaaaaaaaaaand this arrived today. Quite like it:

Tide fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I need an answer as far as if something is legal/illegal/grey area. I'm getting a lot of mixed answers at work, I don't want to ask the POI yet and I've only dug so far into the new 135 rest interpretations:

Being on call but not 'reported for duty' for ~12 hours then having a pop up trip at midnight for another 8 hours. Part 135. Or a simpler question, is 24/7 on call kosher?

Edit: if it's not ok, I would love a citation of the specific letter that decides it.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 23, 2016

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Rolo posted:

Ok so I need an answer as far as if something is legal/illegal/grey area. I'm getting a lot of mixed answers at work, I don't want to ask the POI yet and I've only dug so far into the new 135 rest interpretations:

Being on call but not 'reported for duty' for ~12 hours then having a pop up trip at midnight for another 8 hours. Part 135. Or a simpler question, is 24/7 on call kosher?

Edit: if it's not ok, I would love a citation of the specific letter that decides it.

Not OK.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...erpretation.pdf

FAA Office of the Chief Legal Counsel posted:

You first present a hypothetical wherein you finish your assigned duties on a Wednesday at
2200 Eastern Standard Time (EST), at which time your rest period stmis and continues until
0800 EST on Thursday. After completing this 10-hour rest period, you are not called to repmi
for duty until you receive a "2 hour callout" on Friday morning at 0200 EST for a 0400 EST
takeoff time. You state that you did not know of the 0400 EST takeoff sufficiently in advance
to get 10 hours of rest immediately before the flight and ask whether this "rolling rest" policy
violates §135.267.
In response to your question, the above company policy would not meet the requirements of
§ 13 5.267. The "rolling rest" policy in your hypothetical falls short because, as pointed out in
the Masterson interpretation, a flightcrew member's rest period must be "(1) continuous, (2)
determined prospectively (i.e., known in advance), and (3) free from all restraint by the
certificate holder, including freedom from work or the present responsibility for work should
the occasion arise." What you describe is the same 24-hour, on-call schedule that the
Masterson Interpretation found would not meet § 13 5.267 because the required rest period is
neither known in advance by the pilot nor free from all restraint. See also, Legal Interpretation
from Rebecca B. MacPherson, Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations to Daniel Berry (May
22, 2009). Simply put, rest must be prospective (i.e., determined in advance). In this case, that
rest ended at 0800 on Thursday, and you would not be free from all present responsibility for
work or duty if considered to be on-call. If you are required to answer the phone by your
company, then you are not free from all restraint.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The FAA has said in the past that they don't consider 24 hour on call to be kosher, but I'm not aware of any cases where they've actually bothered to go after a 135 certificate holder over the issue.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
I've witnessed a POI tell a chief pilot I've worked for that the company can't put pilots on call 24/7 and then had that same chief pilot argue that of course it's OK because that particular POI approved the company's GOM. The POI remained silent after that. So if you think the FAA outside of Washington or Oklahoma City gives two shits about part 135 duty regs I've got a bridge to sell you.

Put it another way: You're sitting at your house, can you have a beer? If yes, then you're in rest. If not, then you're on duty. Any duty period you're assigned HAS to be preceded by 10 hours of rest, end of story.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

This is exactly the letter I was looking for, thanks. I really needed something definite I could reference at some point.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

VOR LOC posted:

and then had that same chief pilot argue that of course it's OK because that particular POI approved the company's GOM. The POI remained silent after that.

Does he they think that because he accidentally let something illegal slip through the GOM it now supersedes the regs? :wtf:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

VOR LOC posted:

I've witnessed a POI tell a chief pilot I've worked for that the company can't put pilots on call 24/7 and then had that same chief pilot argue that of course it's OK because that particular POI approved the company's GOM. The POI remained silent after that. So if you think the FAA outside of Washington or Oklahoma City gives two shits about part 135 duty regs I've got a bridge to sell you.

Put it another way: You're sitting at your house, can you have a beer? If yes, then you're in rest. If not, then you're on duty. Any duty period you're assigned HAS to be preceded by 10 hours of rest, end of story.

This is what our last chief pilot brought up. They told him that if he was only available 14 hours a day, he would have to spend those 14 hours sitting in the hangar. Every day. He quit immediately.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Rolo posted:

This is what our last chief pilot brought up. They told him that if he was only available 14 hours a day, he would have to spend those 14 hours sitting in the hangar. Every day. He quit immediately.

As someone who worked 135 for 8 years and was a chief pilot/check airman and dealt with the FAA extensively while building a startup charter op- if you don't like the way on-demand 135 works currently, go find a job elsewhere. *everyone* is hiring right now and you just don't have to put up with it at this stage. Those interpretation letters mean quite literally nothing, and the times I have seen companies try to adhere to the "on call = on duty" rule, the pilots' lives got even worse because there is so much runaround and back bending involved with making it work. In all actuality, you CANT make it work as by nature popup trips require popup crews to fly them. The best way to handle it is to not let companies hold you on call 24/7- make them give you hard days off. We did week on week off and it worked economically so don't let management tell you otherwise.

The catch22 to this is of course now you get extra money for working extra days and 135pay is poo poo so you end up volunteering all your extra days anyways and marvelling at how big your paycheck is. Then you wake up several years later and realize grinding it out on the road endlessly for some 135 operator is a poo poo life no matter how much money you are making. What winds up happening is you gripe when you have time off because you don't make enough money, then you gripe when you're making money because you have no time off. Pilots hold all the leverage now and it's just going to get better for us for at least the next decade as wave after wave retires- if youre getting bullied, get a new job. I work 121 now for a supplemental carrier (infamous for their rough lifestyle) and its hard to fathom how much better it is than ondemand 135.

A year ago I would not recommend anyone go to a regional, but they are getting so desperate now that it is actually possible to work there and make a living the first couple of years. Envoy, I think, is paying $50k first year now and 5 or 6 years down the road the opportunity to flow up to american. Id say go for it. The stagnation in aviation over the last decade is demographically impossible to repeat, and the wave is just beginning to swell- it'd be a good idea to hop on.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 24, 2016

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

greasyhands posted:

I work 121 now for a supplemental carrier (infamous for their rough lifestyle)

Is it by chance JUS?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

vessbot posted:

Is it by chance JUS?

Im assuming thats usa jet, and no. I work for an ACMI carrier

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Grumble. I did exactly what you said and went somewhere else to escape my scumbag 135 job, interviewed at USA Jet for a class starting in a week, got accepted but they indefinitely postponed the class so now I'm sitting in the pool. I was gonna ask you for inside scoop.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

vessbot posted:

Grumble. I did exactly what you said and went somewhere else to escape my scumbag 135 job, interviewed at USA Jet for a class starting in a week, got accepted but they indefinitely postponed the class so now I'm sitting in the pool. I was gonna ask you for inside scoop.

I realize you didn't ask for my advice, but I am guessing you are a new-ish pilot and here goes:

I don't know how old you are or your experience level or what your reasons for pursuing USA Jet are, but I would say just go to a regional and wait on a major. If you lack a 4 year degree or something like that, Jetblue or Southwest or one of the other LCC will pick you up at some point. Those are excellent careers and is what you should be shooting for.

If, for whatever reason, you feel like freight is your calling or the 'scrappy' life is your calling. Apply to Atlas, Kalitta, ATI, ABX, Omni Air, or *maybe* Southern (I would go to Southern as an absolute last resort, but its better than USA Jet or a 135 gig) and fly modern (-ish) heavy jets around the world until you get tired of it (you will) and are ready to move to a LCC or Major or maybe fedex/ups.

If you want to fly small jets around and flirt with FBO girls and airline life genuinely doesn't interest you. Then maybe go work for a 135 passenger charter company until Netjets or XO jet or even Wheels Up (or Gama, whatever they officially go by. King Air 350 operator) picks you up.

If you are a genuine weirdo and don't want to do any of that - go fly air ambulance and make decent money flying decent equipment with a decent schedule. Make sure you go to an operator that does week on/off or something similar.

I really can't emphasize this enough- the pilot world has changed dramatically for the better and will continue changing in our favor regardless of what happens with the economy. There is no reason to waste your time with shitheel operators like USA Jet (there are much worse companies than them, but there is just no reason to deal with getting 30hrs a month in really old equipment for mediocre pay and schedule) At least do something that builds time quickly if you are a very low time pilot. It seems like USA Jet basically goes out of business every few years, I don't know how much longer they are going to last.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 24, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

greasyhands posted:

As someone who worked 135 for 8 years and was a chief pilot/check airman and dealt with the FAA extensively while building a startup charter op- if you don't like the way on-demand 135 works currently, go find a job elsewhere. *everyone* is hiring right now and you just don't have to put up with it at this stage. Those interpretation letters mean quite literally nothing, and the times I have seen companies try to adhere to the "on call = on duty" rule, the pilots' lives got even worse because there is so much runaround and back bending involved with making it work. In all actuality, you CANT make it work as by nature popup trips require popup crews to fly them. The best way to handle it is to not let companies hold you on call 24/7- make them give you hard days off. We did week on week off and it worked economically so don't let management tell you otherwise.

The catch22 to this is of course now you get extra money for working extra days and 135pay is poo poo so you end up volunteering all your extra days anyways and marvelling at how big your paycheck is. Then you wake up several years later and realize grinding it out on the road endlessly for some 135 operator is a poo poo life no matter how much money you are making. What winds up happening is you gripe when you have time off because you don't make enough money, then you gripe when you're making money because you have no time off. Pilots hold all the leverage now and it's just going to get better for us for at least the next decade as wave after wave retires- if youre getting bullied, get a new job. I work 121 now for a supplemental carrier (infamous for their rough lifestyle) and its hard to fathom how much better it is than ondemand 135.

A year ago I would not recommend anyone go to a regional, but they are getting so desperate now that it is actually possible to work there and make a living the first couple of years. Envoy, I think, is paying $50k first year now and 5 or 6 years down the road the opportunity to flow up to american. Id say go for it. The stagnation in aviation over the last decade is demographically impossible to repeat, and the wave is just beginning to swell- it'd be a good idea to hop on.

I've actually been applying the last couple weeks because our 135 in particular is driving me insane. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to get in trouble with the FAA before I can abandon ship. My company told me "don't even bother trying to find a backup plan, nobody will hire someone with as little 135 experience as you."

I made it past a second interview last week at a company that would be 75% part 91, 25% 135, better pay, a real schedule with real hard time off, real benefits, and I'd be closer to my family and friends.

Only got this far because I have close friends who work there :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

greasyhands posted:

(or Gama, whatever they officially go by. King Air 350 operator)

We call them Gamma-not-a-jet. :v:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Rolo posted:

I've actually been applying the last couple weeks because our 135 in particular is driving me insane. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to get in trouble with the FAA before I can abandon ship.

The FAA does not care (and in fact, stuff their fingers deep into their ears and scream LA LA LA when you try to tell them something) what you do in the 135 world unless you crash into something. You have absolutely nothing to worry about- you are doing the same thing everyone else does in that dark corner of aviation. If you have 1500hrs and have never been convicted of pre-meditated murder, you already have a job at the regionals you just dont know it yet.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 24, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

greasyhands posted:

The FAA does not care (and in fact, stuff their fingers deep into their ears and scream LA LA LA when you try to tell them something) what you do in the 135 world unless you crash into something. You have absolutely nothing to worry about- you are doing the same thing everyone else does in that dark corner of aviation. If you have 1500hrs and have never been convicted of pre-meditated murder, you already have a job at the regionals you just dont know it yet.

I'm still a few hundred hours short, figured I'd give myself until 1500 to find something magical before I suck it up and go 121.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Only got this far because I have close friends who work there :)

This is the real secret to aviation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Republic is parading E170s to Rome, NY for storage as part of their bankruptcy. 10+ of them are inbound from CMH, CVG, LGA, PIT, PHL, MCI, etc.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KRME

Word on Airliners.net is apparently there'll be an ERJ waiting to take the pilots back to LGA.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

greasyhands posted:

I realize you didn't ask for my advice, but I am guessing you are a new-ish pilot and here goes:

I don't mind unasked-for advice, so thanks. I'm not a new pilot, but I am new to "normal flying" - IFR, multi engine, etc. Most of I've been doing for 4000 hours is aerobatic instruction and similar stuff. Over the last year and a half I've built about 500 multi turbine PIC, which I think is pretty good all-around credentials but is still a step below what the ACMIs seem to want which is jet time and an ATP.

Low flight time isn't really a problem for me (I'm used to 300-400 hours a year, plus the time at home will be great since I plan to move to the company) and neither is old planes. They're actually in the plus column in my book. Firstly based on aesthetic -- old badass steam gauge airliners? Sign this ex warbird pilot up! And, more importantly, since I'm just getting into the flow of IFR flying, I'd rather make my step up to jets into something that'll force me to maintain the situational awareness habits that steam gauges will, before getting into modern equipment that lets me type the flight into a computer and go to sleep. I still remember an argument (in this very thread, I think) where a RJ pilot was saying that it is normal and legitimate to only be aware of your position within 200 miles.

Also the pay has risen to a good level (50-60k first year), and I can't afford to go to regional pay ... even after first year has gone from 20k to 30k with bonuses. Then again I haven't really followed the regional scene for a long time, and should really do some research to find out exactly what's going on lately.

The only thing that really worries me is this "going out of business every few years" thing (can you elaborate on that?), combined with the surprise class cancellation I just had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Top 3 headset models I should check out, now that I'm ready to spend money on aviation gear?

• Locked thread