Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eonwe posted:

so in these games when you light the flame is it assumed the universe like resets and there aren't any horrors or undead shambling around or whatever

or does lighting the flame pretty much just sort of temporarily revive a basically dead world

Relighting the flame removes the Undead curse and drives back the Abyss and all the creepy crawlies that draw strength from it. The problem with the end of DS3 is that it doesn't work. Regardless of what Ludleth and the others insist, the Ashen One really is too weak to properly light the Kiln again. At the very best, you're just giving the remaining Undead a little more time to finish their affairs before the fire goes out for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
After you kill Vordt and banner down to the bonfire, you can reach this area with Yoel. If you look over the wall next to him, you can see a giant long building. I cannot for the life of me recall where that building is or which one it is.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tamayachi posted:

After you kill Vordt and banner down to the bonfire, you can reach this area with Yoel. If you look over the wall next to him, you can see a giant long building. I cannot for the life of me recall where that building is or which one it is.

I can't really tell from your pic but I'm pretty sure it's the abyss walker's building

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

:sigh: Okay, I'm starting to think Anri has disappeared. She appeared in the Yorshka church after I told her about Horace, and there wasn't a Chameleon Londoran dude in the corner because I'm not following that chain, but her summon sign is not showing anywhere in Anor Londo and her armor is for sale in the shop.

At least Sirris's quest line seems to have progressed properly.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Thanks!

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Mazerunner posted:

I can't really tell from your pic but I'm pretty sure it's the abyss walker's building

Yeah, it's not in that picture, but I think you may be right since it's pretty close to the edge of the Farron swampy area.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Telling her about Horace kills her

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NTT posted:

Not if you kill Horace first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NTT posted:

Only if you don't kill him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

:sigh: Okay, I'm starting to think Anri has disappeared. She appeared in the Yorshka church after I told her about Horace, and there wasn't a Chameleon Londoran dude in the corner because I'm not following that chain, but her summon sign is not showing anywhere in Anor Londo and her armor is for sale in the shop.

The assassin is still there even if you never so much as talk to Yoel. Anri's dead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the assassin is in both lines, you hosed up.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Lotish posted:

According to the fextralife wiki, if you killed Aldritch first before advancing Anri enough that s/he goes to the Church of Yorshka and then dies due to assassins. Check the 'marriage altar', maybe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why do they kill her/him.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
So I finished this, started NG+ (which is hilariously easy so far) and decided I wanted to check out DS1 again. I'm not getting any messages or summons or anything in my PC steam version. I know the servers were broken for a bit, but I had heard they are working again as of the end of last week.

Has anyone tried DS1 this weekend? Is the multiplayer down or is this just something with my connection?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
If I heal my Dark Sigils before NG+ can I get another five free levels from Yoel in NG+?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Damnit, Siegward ruined my plan to solo all the bosses!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Regy Rusty posted:

The assassin is still there even if you never so much as talk to Yoel. Anri's dead.

I checked the corner and it was empty, so how?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Wagrid posted:

If I heal my Dark Sigils before NG+ can I get another five free levels from Yoel in NG+?

You always get them no matter what.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I tried to go back to Bloodborne (I never finished it) but after playing DS3 in pimps only 60fps, 1080p mode, that game looks and runs like poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

il serpente cosmico posted:

Damnit, Siegward ruined my plan to solo all the bosses!

As boring as that fight is, I LOVE the Sieg voice acting and implied backstory.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question about Road of Sacrifice: near the black knight there is a door that "doesn't open from here" and behind it there is a crystal lizard. I cannot for the life of me figure out a way around - is this an exit from another area? Or is there actually a way inside?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Wagrid posted:

You can get them even without healing it. Even easier and right away, too, because your hollowing will be high enough.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

double nine posted:

Question about Road of Sacrifice: near the black knight there is a door that "doesn't open from here" and behind it there is a crystal lizard. I cannot for the life of me figure out a way around - is this an exit from another area? Or is there actually a way inside?

Keep progressing. It's an exit from the second half of Farron Keep

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mazerunner posted:

According to the fextralife wiki, if you killed Aldritch first before advancing Anri enough that s/he goes to the Church of Yorshka and then dies due to assassins. Check the 'marriage altar', maybe.

i just did that questline right before beating the game. i had her up to the catacombs but never talked to her. it functioned exactly like the wiki says it should, regardless of how many bosses you've beaten.

seems like a good amount of the questlines are complete-able and not gated by boss completion.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
So...Lodric, Lordran, etc...these are places that exist after death? Can we assume thanks to spells like Homeward there are still tangible, livable places in existence?

I personally wish we had more bright, vibrant areas. we naturally take comfort in something like that, so it would be that much more unsettling to see like, a nice village in the middle of a bright forest that was filled with unspeakable horrors in what looks like mid morning/early afternoon summer time.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Keep progressing. It's an exit from the second half of Farron Keep

Thanks. I think I'm going after the Cathedral of the Deep first though.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Toriori posted:

So...Lodric, Lordran, etc...these are places that exist after death? Can we assume thanks to spells like Homeward there are still tangible, livable places in existence?

The lights are still on in most of Irithyll, Could be people hiding out inside like in BB, just trying to survive and whatnot. Seems like most of the action happens around the lord souls, so maybe dont live near them?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

I checked the corner and it was empty, so how?

Did you actually attack the statues

I did exactly what you did and killed the assassin.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

The lights are still on in most of Irithyll, Could be people hiding out inside like in BB, just trying to survive and whatnot. Seems like most of the action happens around the lord souls, so maybe dont live near them?

yeah but low property values due to such make it a buyers dream. Sure, I live next to a castle home to a Lovecraftian monster that will drive me to madness on sight but my mortgage is only $350 a month for 4 BR 2.5 baths sooo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tabletops posted:

i just did that questline right before beating the game. i had her up to the catacombs but never talked to her. it functioned exactly like the wiki says it should, regardless of how many bosses you've beaten.

seems like a good amount of the questlines are complete-able and not gated by boss completion.

As in- you got him to Yorshka Church

-was there an assassin? What was going for you with Yuria?
-then there was a summon sign to help Anri with Aldrich?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kikkelivelho posted:

The bonfire at the center of the crucifixion woods is the weirdest one

Didn't find that one until I was poking around for giggles after AW. :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you use magic shield on the dark hand?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Relighting the flame removes the Undead curse and drives back the Abyss and all the creepy crawlies that draw strength from it. The problem with the end of DS3 is that it doesn't work. Regardless of what Ludleth and the others insist, the Ashen One really is too weak to properly light the Kiln again. At the very best, you're just giving the remaining Undead a little more time to finish their affairs before the fire goes out for good.

nah my dude is definitely strong enough

always believe in goku

edit:
but really the way i see it is just that ds2 perfected linking the flame since that's what they say happens when you get all the crowns and poo poo and the existence of undead who straight up never hollow/are not hollows ties that together. so it's not an uncontrolled giant explosion blasting your guy into hollowness/ashes- rather, it's simply your dude slowly burning out as to provide life to the rest of existence. it's why the soul of cinder isn't a hollow or a 'sad' fight or whatever- it's a test to see if your dude is worthy to inherit the duty of being the thing that keeps reality going because lesser dudes will fry

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 25, 2016

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone give me a list of good multiplayer invasion hotspots for level 57ish?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mazerunner posted:

As in- you got him to Yorshka Church

-was there an assassin? What was going for you with Yuria?
-then there was a summon sign to help Anri with Aldrich?

no assassin, anri was in yorshka. i was going for the usurp the fire ending. talked to anri at yorshka a bunch, reset a few times, wandered around. talked to yuria and she was like "everythings ready" and i went and did the thing.

redreader posted:

Can someone give me a list of good multiplayer invasion hotspots for level 57ish?

just after sullyvhan.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

DS1 and 2 definitely imply that the rest of the world is okay for now - in 1, you're just one of many undead that are being thrown out of civilized lands as the curse spreads, in 2, you head out to search for a cure of your own volition and the intro even shows you forgetting a normal family and life. Not sure I'd say the same about 3 since the world is definitely ending this time, especially with the final area showing the world literally caving in towards the First Flame.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Lotish posted:

The assassin isn't there if you aren't doing Yuria's questline. Check the darkmoon tomb.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Did you actually attack the statues

I did exactly what you did and killed the assassin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-utUysQ2F4&t=564s

This was a couple of days ago so I don't remember if I actually attacked the other statues, but you see how the assassin is hiding in the actual corner here? I remember very clearly that corner was completely empty. Does the assassin hide in a different corner if you don't do the Yuria quest?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-utUysQ2F4&t=564s

This was a couple of days ago so I don't remember if I actually attacked the other statues, but you see how the assassin is hiding in the actual corner here? I remember very clearly that corner was completely empty. Does the assassin hide in a different corner if you don't do the Yuria quest?

Beats me! I ignored Yoel altogether and the dude was right there and I killed him and finished the quest. :shrug:

It doesn't make sense for the assassin not to appear at all since you're supposed to kill him to stop him from killing Anri. But I don't know there could be other weird triggers at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tabletops posted:

no assassin, anri was in yorshka. i was going for the usurp the fire ending. talked to anri at yorshka a bunch, reset a few times, wandered around. talked to yuria and she was like "everythings ready" and i went and did the thing.

just after sullyvhan.

ok, but Lotish is talking about getting the other ending, that doesn't involve Yuria/the assassin, which has different triggers, it looks like.