Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can think of two possibilities of what we might have done differently:

1. Did you even bring Yoel to Firelink? I can't see how that would matter, but I did do that even though I didn't let him tease out my true strength and Yuria never showed up.

2. Did you do Anri's quest in order or did you ever have to backtrack after reaching a later area?

Those are the only ideas I have of what could possibly trigger the assassin to not appear for some reason and thus make it impossible to save Anri from getting killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Given how often you can find two bonfires in rapid succession I was caught off guard by how large Demon Ruins is and the total lack of any bonfires there aside from the starting one and the secret one (which doesn't really help at all with exploring it).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh I definitely had to do stuff a bit out of order. I had to backtrack to get them to appear in the Carthus Catacombs and then again to get her to show up at Yorshka. Another time I'll try to do the quest a bit more by the book, still skipping the Yoel/Yuria thing to see if there's just something about getting too far ahead of his/her triggers that break it.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Brannock posted:

Given how often you can find two bonfires in rapid succession I was caught off guard by how large Demon Ruins is and the total lack of any bonfires there aside from the starting one and the secret one (which doesn't really help at all with exploring it).

4 bonfires in that area including boss bonfire and starting bonfire

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
this pc souls life

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

It's a surprisingly small area, especially when combined with the various switchbacks you get via the illusory walls. It seems really large at first, but the only really hefty area is the cliff leading up to the ballista. Everything else is just twisty hallways designed to throw you off. I just sprint through the thing nowadays to get the Shard + Dust and maybe an optional item or two.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Giant Isopod posted:

The assassin isn't there if you aren't doing Yuria's questline. Check the darkmoon tomb.

Yuria never showed up in my game and the assassin still showed up for me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am glad I was spoiled on the Ancient Wyvern's gimmick, because what you actually do is way cooler than a straight fight against it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I AM BRAWW posted:

4 bonfires in that area including boss bonfire and starting bonfire

There's only 2 (Demon Ruins and Old King's Antechamber), the others are at Smouldering Lake.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brannock posted:

There's a bonfire at the start of the demon ruins(Demon Ruins) and a bonfire halfway through the demon ruins(Old King's Antechamber). It's a pretty okay spread and it takes like a minute to run to any location in the area from either of the two bonfires.

Which one is the "secret" one? Old King's Antechamber isn't hidden.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

turtlecrunch posted:

this pc souls life

There is never a reason to summon 3 phantoms. Assuming it goes by ds2 math, that would be like 2x boss HP for 1 phantom, 4x for 2 phantoms, then like, 8x for 3? not worth it at all

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I did it!

35 hours and level 81, did the hollow lord ending.

Nameless King was by far the hardest boss. When I finally beat him, it wasn't by mastering phase 2, it was by flawlessing phase 1 so I had all my estus for p2 (and still ran out).

DS3's difficulty is really weird. It's like FROM knew that the playerbase had possibly played up to 4 games like this already, so they made everything very fast and hit very hard. But this means for most bosses if you can just dodge an attack here and there and drink some estus, rinse repeat and they'll die before you run out of healing. It's not easy exactly but it's kind of repetitive. NK makes this hard because he hits so goddamn hard and worse, is very unpredictable. But for example the last boss, I just kept rolling backwards throwing fireballs and got hit a whole bunch of times but he ran out of health before I ran out of potions. It's weird.

I had a good time, but I think Bloodbourne is my favorite of the series.

Can't wait for the DLC. Hoping it takes us to Londor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is SL30 for Cathedral too high/low?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Pretty normal.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Made a sad dad.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

The low end of average prolly

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

turtlecrunch posted:

this pc souls life

Lie Down is my all time favorite emote to use in DS3, followed by HEY! spam

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

RBA Starblade posted:

I am glad I was spoiled on the Ancient Wyvern's gimmick, because what you actually do is way cooler than a straight fight against it.

I loved that fight

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Tamayachi posted:

Lie Down is my all time favorite emote to use in DS3, followed by HEY! spam

slav squat 4 lyfe :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also is Well What Is It in the game?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hey! is superior to Here!

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

slav squat 4 lyfe :colbert:

slav squat is p.good too, especially after being summoned for boss fights.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

There is never a reason to summon 3 phantoms. Assuming it goes by ds2 math, that would be like 2x boss HP for 1 phantom, 4x for 2 phantoms, then like, 8x for 3? not worth it at all

I don't think it's 8x. I summoned 3 phantoms for Deacons of the Deep on NG+ for laughs (Sirris, another NPC, and a Sunbro for a medallion) and all the enemies still died really fast.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I expected Nameless King to be a lot harder. I found Sulyvahn way harder than him.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

There's a bonfire at the start of the demon ruins(Demon Ruins) and a bonfire halfway through the demon ruins(Old King's Antechamber). It's a pretty okay spread and it takes like a minute to run to any location in the area from either of the two bonfires.

Which one is the "secret" one? Old King's Antechamber isn't hidden.

The antechamber isn't useful for exploring the Ruins, though.

How is it not secret? You either have to make a tough jump and then go through an illusory wall, or you have to trigger the ballista to blast open the ground.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm pissed that the Well! What is it! gesture isn't in the game.

Welcome does not suffice

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

WrightOfWay posted:

Hey! is superior to Here!

i dont know where to get it :(

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

i will never tire of leading an invader to a bonfire with a death pit, tossing an "I'm sorry" emote and then suiciding

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Brannock posted:

How is it not secret? You either have to make a tough jump and then go through an illusory wall, or you have to trigger the ballista to blast open the ground.

I didn't do either of those things and still found it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tabletops posted:

i dont know where to get it :(

trade something (homeward bone?) to the crow(s)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Brannock posted:

You can reach it without doing either of those things. You can reach it from the Demon Ruins bonfire without any jumps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

slev posted:

I expected Nameless King to be a lot harder. I found Sulyvahn way harder than him.

pontiff took me the most tries by far but i think it's partly because i don't parry (i always 2hand) and it looks like parrying makes that fight about 10000 times easier.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The Seppuku Sword is real good for multiplayer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NTT posted:

The Seppuku Sword is real good for multiplayer.

Does it do damage to people standing right in front of/behind you when you stab yourself

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

CharlestonJew posted:

Yuria never showed up in my game and the assassin still showed up for me

Weird. I had to backtrack to the catacombs because I never found Anri in his second spot. He showed up in the church and there was no assassin there.

I then found both him and the dead assassin in darkmoon tomb. I wonder what the distinction is?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Lorian and Lothric was the hardest boss for me. I don't know if that makes me an outlier or not

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Can I keep playing after the last boss and trigger NG+ whenever I want ala DS2 or does it just dump me straight to NG+ like BB?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Mazerunner posted:

trade something (homeward bone?) to the crow(s)

Yup, trade a bone, they even put one right there by the ladder.

EDIT ^^^^^It asks after the credits NG+ NOW OR LATER?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Brannock posted:

even if the ballista has to blast the ground to open it topside, that thing fires so loving much that i don't think it's possible that anyone could be exploring that zone and not have that hole opened. my first time in the zone i found the worm, said gently caress that and ran the other way, found the mute guy who was aggro and killed him, went back out and found a bunch of crabs and said gently caress those too, and then while i was trying to dodge the constant rain of ballista blasts like a crazy bug i saw the hole in the distance and ran for it, not even considering that this is dark souls and it was just as likely to be a trick hole that just insta-kills you. loving ballista rain is so obnoxious i ran into a hole in the ground on the off chance that i could escape the constant bombardment and i was actually right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
How to 100% get Anri's quest to work:

talk to anri at halfway fortress

talk to anri before wolnir; you can skip talking to her higher up in the catacombs

tell her you haven't seen horace no matter what

kill horace

assassin + anri will be at the church.

The big trigger is that you must talk to her at the second catacombs location before wolnir.