Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

couldn't switching builds in the middle of a game lead to AI problems in its own right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

couldn't switching builds in the middle of a game lead to AI problems in its own right?

It leads to wonky situations from week-to-week as their reactions change but in their first stream it was discovered that the AI wasn't building things properly so the first empire the Blorg went to war with got steamrolled. Also gives people a better idea of what's coming.

edit: whoops, wrong thread but the point still stands. In the first stream for HOI4 stream it looked like the Soviet Union and France weren't doing anything and lost to Germany rather quickly, but as AIs started getting adjustments they become more and more of a threat. It remains to be seen how the war will go this time but hopefully it won't be over by 1940.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 22, 2016

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
France leaving gaps in the Maginot Line does seem pretty wonky though, I hope these kinds of glaring deficiencies are the result of switching builds between sessions and not some kind of underlying problem with the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They use the daily dev build or what ever for the stellaris stream and it's resulted in all sorts of major gently caress ups. Just the nature of dev builds. If it makes anyone feel better, it's always a very different crippling bug every stream. All it takes is one typo in the AI code and suddenly a huge part of the game doesn't work. QA watches the streams and gets right on that poo poo.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-53-2d-art.922719/

HOI4 DD on 2D, including modding 2D elements and the UI.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Those wallpapers :swoon:

Is that supposed to be Zhukov on the right in the first one?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

COOL CORN posted:

Is that supposed to be Zhukov on the right in the first one?

Looks about right, yeah.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

They use the daily dev build or what ever for the stellaris stream and it's resulted in all sorts of major gently caress ups. Just the nature of dev builds. If it makes anyone feel better, it's always a very different crippling bug every stream. All it takes is one typo in the AI code and suddenly a huge part of the game doesn't work. QA watches the streams and gets right on that poo poo.

I'm also guessing that nailing the AI is one of the last things they do because it's partially config-driven and you don't want to get stuck on that crap only to find out one of your core components has the mother of all segfaults or something.

Actually I've always wondered how shackled pdox is to an older C++ version versus C++11/14 since the language got a lot better with 11.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

We can't stop here - this is nerd country

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

We were somewhere around Berlin when the drugs began to take hold

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Baronjutter posted:

On the bright side, poo poo that makes developers look inept in front of players quickly get fixed. :v:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

thread redeemed holy poo poo

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Fear And Loathing on the Pacific Front: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I want to hear more of this.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
*struggles to breath* oh man can't stop laughing. Shared this with the HOI team.

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Fear And Loathing on the Pacific Front: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Fantastic

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

boomshakalaka

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
new portraits DLC looking good

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Drone posted:

Oh man, now I'm hoping that the alien invasion DLC I've been wishing for in HOI4 is really a Blorg Invasion Friendship-Making DLC.

This would be really nice. Blorgs as end game boss.
Anybody got any thoughts about how the dlc model for HoI 4 will look? I feel that the ck2/eu4 model might not fit?

Also is there any chance paradox will ever do a game about politics? like democracy, but good and fun instead of meaningless.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Zombiepop posted:

This would be really nice. Blorgs as end game boss.
Anybody got any thoughts about how the dlc model for HoI 4 will look? I feel that the ck2/eu4 model might not fit?

Also is there any chance paradox will ever do a game about politics? like democracy, but good and fun instead of meaningless.

Why not? The DLCs will include more detailed mechanics/focus trees for countries other than the big7, e.g. a civil war dlc (focus on China/Spain), resistance DLC (Finland/Jugoslawia), exile government dlc etc.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Dunno Its just a feeling, WW2 is such a short timeline, and it feels like HoI doesn't go off the rails the way EU and CK does. Seems there would be less ways to change the game in that setting. But I dont know poo poo about game development.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zombiepop posted:

Dunno Its just a feeling, WW2 is such a short timeline, and it feels like HoI doesn't go off the rails the way EU and CK does. Seems there would be less ways to change the game in that setting. But I dont know poo poo about game development.

Less about change and more about fleshing stuff out. Adding more features.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The focus trees should be part of the free updates that accompany the DLC if it's following the EU4 model of adding new idea groups. Paid content should be about fleshing out/improving various game systems along with all the cosmetic variations of NATO counters.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the channel, then up the Vistula or down the Don to Crimea and the Black Sea. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . . And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Decadent. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . . So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Stalingrad and look East, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Maarek posted:

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the channel, then up the Vistula or down the Don to Crimea and the Black Sea. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . . And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Decadent. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . . So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Stalingrad and look East, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

:golfclap:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dreylad posted:

The focus trees should be part of the free updates that accompany the DLC if it's following the EU4 model of adding new idea groups. Paid content should be about fleshing out/improving various game systems along with all the cosmetic variations of NATO counters.
Ditto, really hoping that this is the case. I really hope we get the same level of attention and dedication going into HoI4 and we end up with all sorts of focus trees all the way down to Bolivia or something.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Ditto, really hoping that this is the case. I really hope we get the same level of attention and dedication going into HoI4 and we end up with all sorts of focus trees all the way down to Bolivia or something.

We'll probably see an Espionage expansion down the line, since that appears to be the one big omission they had to make in this version. Other than that, I suppose there'll be a partisan/exiled gov expansion, a Late War/Early Cold War expansion, and maybe a WWI side-scenario expansion.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Hopefully they'll kick in a Custom Nation Designer at some point too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It also depends what parts of the game their player base thinks is lackluster at release. For example, if the game comes out and it turns out naval combat sucks, it's possible they'll make a DLC to revitalize the naval combat mechanics.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dreylad posted:

The difference is that idea groups are basically nothing more than a few boni + some flavour text, while national focus trees seem to be a lot more complicated. I'd compare them to religions in EU4, which are DLC content.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want a HOI4 expansion that adds diesel mechs, flying aircraft carriers, and other goofy crazy poo poo.

Also, Blorg invasion.

EDIT: Parallel universe Aztecs pouring through warp gates would be okay too.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Darkest Hour gets fucky when you play into the 1960's

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's so advanced that it looped right back into Wright brothers territory.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I want a HOI4 expansion that adds diesel mechs, flying aircraft carriers, and other goofy crazy poo poo.

Also, Blorg invasion.

Hitler's Hollow Earth campaign against the dinosaur-riding Atlantean psychics.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

Hitler's Hollow Earth campaign against the dinosaur-riding Atlantean psychics.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Also, Blorg invasion.

Let us not forget that HOI2 had an actual alien invasion event you could trigger through the console.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

JURY DUTY NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

It's so advanced that it looped right back into Wright brothers territory.

No one can tail it because it is so slow, if a jet tries to keep up it falls out of the sky.

Plus no missiles can lock because no heat signatures.