Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Pffhahaha.

You used the word 'threatening' and 'Snow Fox' in the same sentence. It has a small handful of lasers or an LRM and is very fast, but it's a 20-ton quad mech.

So, PTN may have done something to make it an actual threat. :tinfoil:

Looks stock. It's just there to lull us into a false sense of security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So, all the Mechs seen a few weeks earlier a missing; that's a bad sign.

So, what's the plan going to be? Have some mechs take the nearby hill to get an advantage while a handful of (presumably fast) mechs head south to trash the planes and shred the infantry? Ignore the planes and go all out against the mechs? Hunt all the infantry down before reinforcements show up and all the space being denied by the infantry really starts to hurt? Or something more complicated?

Should be interesting to see, at the very least.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

LegendairyBovine posted:

The players first wave of mechs in Ultimatum was super light and gradually escalated to stuff like the geriatric badass in the Atlas. I am sure we will see the scary stuff after we start wiping some of the initial star off the field of play.

I think Rage Grandpa was in the Kraken.

Poor Rage Grandpa. Maybe he'll show up again and finally get the glorious death he's always wanted.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Looks like you have a couple of turns before any major threats make it to you, so it's time to go nuts on those planes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to seeing the players fail the "don't get captured" objective when a retreating 'Mech gets hit by lightning and falls over.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Given how Noretti feels about the presence of the Stag and it's origins, I'm surprised the clan force is willing to admit to driving a Wolverine IIC, isn't that the Conjurer/Hellhound? I guess that's just what the players are reporting it as?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

isn't that the Conjurer/Hellhound?

It is, but IS reporting names being what they are, this is kinda the first time it's shown up. So it's Wolverines all around.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So many infantry, be a real shame if some warcrimes happened to them.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

So many infantry, be a real shame if some warcrimes happened to them.

Plasma rifle gets a chance to show why it's a good weapon in this mission! A single shot will generally toast a whole platoon!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I strongly suggest the players follow strict withdrawal protocols here. As soon as your center torso, head or legs get breached, start retreating. This mission is about inflicting a psychological victory against the clans more than dealing tons of damage.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is, but IS reporting names being what they are, this is kinda the first time it's shown up. So it's Wolverines all around.

This mission is just full (ok two, so far) of incidental wolverine references. It'll be neat to see how Noretti/Bethany respond.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Alright, lets get this started. Champion here, I was thinking of moving straight north to hex 2933 or 2932, using the hill and tunnel as cover, and just throwing out Gauss/PPC at anything to the west and the south. Should we be going for the aerospace first, or try to clear out some infantry?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ardlen posted:

It does mean that no matter how well the players do, they won't be able to win the field.

Goons have gotten so bad at playing to the scenario that Poptarts has had to resort to a literal 'rocks fall, from orbit' threat.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Would it be possible to blast open the exposed tunnel along the ridge to act as a secondary escape route? Seems like that hill could be a great asset if there was a fast way to escape from it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Corponation posted:

Alright, lets get this started. Champion here, I was thinking of moving straight north to hex 2933 or 2932, using the hill and tunnel as cover, and just throwing out Gauss/PPC at anything to the west and the south. Should we be going for the aerospace first, or try to clear out some infantry?

Your primary job is to remain alive and those Bearhunters are an active threat that those parked aerospace targets of opportunity aren't.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Corponation posted:

The champion should not bother with Infantry - it can only take out like 2 guys a turn at best. Infantry should be a really high priority though . These guys all have Mauser IIC and Bearhunters which means a lot of reach and very high damage.

The Salamander, Lancelot and Komodo should try and put as many platoons out of action ASAP or these guys are gonna start dropping Mech's fast. Like these dudes have 3/6/9 brackets and almost as much firepower as a low end medium mech. The longer they have to find cover and good positions the hairier this mission will be.

This is referring the the brown Snow Raven Points. The green Sea Fox points aren't as threatening and can only reach out 4 hexes. These dudes are more appealing targets for the Komodo as you can hit at medium ranges where they can't hit back.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 25, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

JT Jag posted:

I strongly suggest the players follow strict withdrawal protocols here. As soon as your center torso, head or legs get breached, start retreating. This mission is about inflicting a psychological victory against the clans more than dealing tons of damage.

I think this is a good idea too.

I'm sorry, Rage Grandpa and Vapor Eagle pilot, I feel like I failed you both. :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So just how badly will Frag ammo for the LRMs gently caress up Infantry platoons? Even as Aces, platoons 1, 2, and 3 cannot escape the Salamander's 3 LRM20s and that warcrimes level ammo. With only 6 shots you probably don't want to use more than one salvo per platoon though. The Lancelot is also able to get range on that Jump platoon with it's Plasma rifle, and that thing is viscious- Plasma rifles deal an extra 2d6 damage to any Battle armor or infantry, mechanized or no.

Platoon 6 is also stuck away from any cover which makes it a great target for the Komodo's AP gausses (Bonus points because running straight south will also bring his Active Probe in to range of all the buildings down there), although 7 and 8 can duck in to buildings. Now seems like a great time for anyone with anti-infantry weapons to go ham on the exposed squads, before they have a chance to bunker up and be assholes.

Meanwhile everyone else can unload on the fragile Anhurs that are sitting smack in front of you.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
My failures are immortalized in a smilie, no less.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

So just how badly will Frag ammo for the LRMs gently caress up Infantry platoons? Even as Aces, platoons 1, 2, and 3 cannot escape the Salamander's 3 LRM20s and that warcrimes level ammo. With only 6 shots you probably don't want to use more than one salvo per platoon though. The Lancelot is also able to get range on that Jump platoon with it's Plasma rifle, and that thing is viscious- Plasma rifles deal an extra 2d6 damage to any Battle armor or infantry, mechanized or no.

Platoon 6 is also stuck away from any cover which makes it a great target for the Komodo's AP gausses (Bonus points because running straight south will also bring his Active Probe in to range of all the buildings down there), although 7 and 8 can duck in to buildings. Now seems like a great time for anyone with anti-infantry weapons to go ham on the exposed squads, before they have a chance to bunker up and be assholes.

Meanwhile everyone else can unload on the fragile Anhurs that are sitting smack in front of you.

Frag LRMs deal full damage to infantry, which is doubled again if they're in the open. Note that Clan foot infantry have very good kit, though, so they take half damage from all attacks. A LRM-20 will kill 12 guys if they're in the open, 6 if they're not. Given that, my opinion is that you might as well dump all your frag into infantry when you get good shots, because an empty ammo bin makes you much less vulnerable to an ammo explosion.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I was going to ask if the plasma rifle was useful against infantry. Since the rest of my armament is heavy hitting but singular (large lasers) I figured I'd be mech hunting or pasting aircraft.

I was thinking of heading to 1939 and start shooting aircraft. Given the plasma rifle's effectiveness against infantry I can shoot that gun as the primary target against the best infantry in medium range and the large lasers/mpl into the Anhur parked in front of me. From there get up on to the tarmac and soccer kick my way down the row. Actually, I'll take the second Anhur down the row as that's at 5 (as I measure it) from 1939 which is short range for most of my guns. That'll give the other heavy hitters something easier to shoot at if that's a concern.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SIGSEGV posted:

Your primary job is to remain alive and those Bearhunters are an active threat that those parked aerospace targets of opportunity aren't.

Goontrinary has plenty of anti-infantry warcrimes mechs along for the ride, Gauss rifles blow huge chunks at killing single mans, vs being able breach armor on those parked Anhurs with one shot. Like a single gauss shot only kills two troopers- A single AP Gauss Rifle on the Komodo kills 2d6 troopers. And the Komodo has 10 AP gausses. :getin:
Non Small- or Micro-Pulse lasers are ok-ish, because they should get minimum 3 kills, but smalls and micro pulses are way better because they do 2d6 damage.

Also I thought it was super cute that the clanners in the north look like they were mock dueling or something?

El Spamo posted:

I was going to ask if the plasma rifle was useful against infantry. Since the rest of my armament is heavy hitting but singular (large lasers) I figured I'd be mech hunting or pasting aircraft.

I was thinking of heading to 1939 and start shooting aircraft. Given the plasma rifle's effectiveness against infantry I can shoot that gun as the primary target against the best infantry in medium range and the large lasers/mpl into the Anhur parked in front of me. From there get up on to the tarmac and soccer kick my way down the row. Actually, I'll take the second Anhur down the row as that's at 5 (as I measure it) from 1939 which is short range for most of my guns. That'll give the other heavy hitters something easier to shoot at if that's a concern.

Yea, primarying the Infantry with your plasma is great and the secondary target penalty won't hurt against the planes because they're not mobile.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MJ12 posted:

Frag LRMs deal full damage to infantry, which is doubled again if they're in the open. Note that Clan foot infantry have very good kit, though, so they take half damage from all attacks. A LRM-20 will kill 12 guys if they're in the open, 6 if they're not. Given that, my opinion is that you might as well dump all your frag into infantry when you get good shots, because an empty ammo bin makes you much less vulnerable to an ammo explosion.

Frag LRMs do double damage to infantry, not just full. Once upon a time they did quad damage while still doing full damage to mechs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, I guess the real takeaway is that the Komodo needs to do nothing but murder the gently caress out of Infantry since it is outrageously better at it in an orders of magnitude way than anything else Goons have on the field.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

Goons have gotten so bad at playing to the scenario that Poptarts has had to resort to a literal 'rocks fall, from orbit' threat.

That is not what the Lola III is about.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Chameleon here, I figure I can either head southwest and begin messing up some aerospace or jump up onto the wooded hill to our northwest and do a bit of screening against the enemy star. Any thoughts?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Chameleon here, I figure I can either head southwest and begin messing up some aerospace or jump up onto the wooded hill to our northwest and do a bit of screening against the enemy star. Any thoughts?

The enemy 'Mechs (that you know about...) are at least a 1 (The Vixen and Quad) to many (The Urbanmech lol) turns away from getting in to position to have good shots on you guys. Take advantage of it and rack up some bounty/do some damage/ piss off some Snow Ravens while you can! I think you can run all the way to 1739 and open up on the Visigoths or Vandals and kick the Anhur for good measure.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

If giant lasers raining down from the heavens in the middle of a hurricane isn't a desirable addition to your 'mechfight/war crimes you need to re-think what Battletech is all about.

On that note, how many infantry do you guys bet are gonna get zapped by lightning in this fight? (Regular kind, not orbital)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Anhurs are very juicy targets. not only are they right up close and much easier to kill than then other planes, killing them will help limit their ability to move infantry around.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 25, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

If giant lasers raining down from the heavens in the middle of a hurricane isn't a desirable addition to your 'mechfight/war crimes you need to re-think what Battletech is all about.

On that note, how many infantry do you guys bet are gonna get zapped by lightning in this fight? (Regular kind, not orbital)

Well, the field is 33x49, which is 1,619 hexes. Up to four lightning strikes happen each turn. So assuming I roll 6s every turn for 15 turns that means as many as 60 hexes will get struck by lightning.

My money's on none.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
So I am in the Nu Tech Piranha the ecm and active beacon seem like a real treat. Though that dodgy right hip makes me paranoid :tinfoil:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

A Repubic ER PPC will arc between different mech parts, but does it arc to different troops of infantry? :science:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Aw yeah! Another chance to blow poo poo up! Went well last time (first battle of this LOOOONG thread I think)

any thoughts or advice at this time? I assume go full tilt to clear up deployment as I am a light. (Ostscout)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

A Repubic ER PPC will arc between different mech parts, but does it arc to different troops of infantry? :science:

It'd kill two of them either way.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Alternate present and accounted for, I will be doing my best to keep track of intentions and following through if any of Goontrinary does lag out, assuming I am needed at all. I hope not to be for obvious reasons, but that remains the nature of the alternates.

Warcrimes, ho~!

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

This is exactly the sort of shortcut thinking that will get the players triple dead. Each goon is not the only player in a singleplayer game, and trying to play like you are will waste your potential and leave you exposed.

In this case, the champion is extremely good at killing mechs and parked aerospace, but can kill maximum 3 (maybe 4?) dudes per squad per turn in squads of 20 and 25. The 1/5 at best of a squad is not a useful contribution when that komodo is on the field. But that's not really the point.

The point is that each pilot needs to ask "where am I most effective?" and then TALK about that with the other pilots, and move when there is agreement. This turn you just lose out on a bounty for an aerospace. but in the turns to come when your heuristic isn't the same as someone else's it'll mean you jumped into a square without probe scouting and now infantry have kneecaped you and death is 2 turns at most away.

I don't mean this as mean or personal or anything other than an encouragement for the Goons to talk it out. Think in terms of [player] can contribute [goal] by [doing a thing], and you'll get a reasonable discussion about how to act like a unit with somewhat competent command.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a lotta potential warcrimesinfantry.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pussy Cartel posted:

That's a lotta potential warcrimesinfantry.

If PTN didn't have so much to do with this scenario already I'd probably mail him orders for the Blackjack out of compulsion.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

What is the bracketed movement value? And do I for real have up to 20MP!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pladdicus posted:

What is the bracketed movement value? And do I for real have up to 20MP!?

It's your movement when using MASC.

• Locked thread