Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

it seems like a lot of the games flaws could be solved by just tweaking some numbers here and there
This is definitely true. It makes a lot of very good decisions when it comes to its basic mechanics. It just needs to rethink the RNG issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is definitely true. It makes a lot of very good decisions when it comes to its basic mechanics. It just needs to rethink the RNG issues.

And it's so stinkin cute in the best way!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Is there any rhyme or reason to where the water barrel spawns for the fire place?? I still haven't completed the oubliette because I can't be bothered to scour the map for the water barrel that may well have been blown up mid fight. If there was a more certain way of checking for it I might be more inclined to do it though and finally get whatever it is that it unlocks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the game is at a very good place balance wise at the moment. Once you get better at it, it's easy to make it to the very end every time. You'll get a run where you get nothing good drops, or you get no ammo drops every once in a while (my last run had me using a Machine Pistol and Blunderbuss until the end of floor 3), but they are the exception rather than the rule. The only thing I'd like to see changed is removing the chance for the shop to be locked, because it's almost never worth wasting keys on them.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the later Frifle quests are way too grindy.

Redundant posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to where the water barrel spawns for the fire place?? I still haven't completed the oubliette because I can't be bothered to scour the map for the water barrel that may well have been blown up mid fight. If there was a more certain way of checking for it I might be more inclined to do it though and finally get whatever it is that it unlocks.
It usually spawns in the next room or two over, but sometimes, if you're unlucky with the floor layout, it can spawn quite some ways away. I've even had it spawn in the shop and in the elevator room after the boss before. There can also be multiple barrels.
Don't forget that you can use water, ice and poison attacks to put out the fire as well, if you happen to pick up one of those weapons on the first floor.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 24, 2016

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Okay, I just need some place to vent my frustration a little. Maybe this problem has already been mentioned, but I'll read the thread afterwards.

We had a co-op session just now, and my co-op partner, the Cultist, luckily happened to gather all four components for the Bullet That Can Kill The Past.

Turns out the Cultist cannot turn them in to the gunsmith. Like, at all.
Cannot drop any of them (except for Arcane Gunpowder, which is an Active rather than Passive item) either for the main player to turn in.

The cruel lesson here, I guess, is: do not grab Prime Primer, Planar Lead or Obsidian Shell Casing as the Cultist as long as you might need to turn them in.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 24, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Could you not just go into the map menu and drop them like you would any other passive item? Or are they simply undroppable?

IMO if the Cultist gathers all the Bullet parts in one run, both players should be drawn into the Cultist's past, which turns out to be Player 1's past with the added revelation that the Cultist turned out to be vaguely nearby experiencing some irrelevantly minor incident that they desperately wish to undo. Then if you win the P1 character kills their past in the process of helping the Cultist get a refund from CostCo or whatever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Angry Diplomat posted:

Could you not just go into the map menu and drop them like you would any other passive item? Or are they simply undroppable?

IMO if the Cultist gathers all the Bullet parts in one run, both players should be drawn into the Cultist's past, which turns out to be Player 1's past with the added revelation that the Cultist turned out to be vaguely nearby experiencing some irrelevantly minor incident that they desperately wish to undo. Then if you win the P1 character kills their past in the process of helping the Cultist get a refund from CostCo or whatever.

The cultist actually have a past of his own.:ssh:
To get it, you have to aim at the Cultist instead of the P1 character during the post-dragun sequence.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or are they simply undroppable?

Yeah, they are, much like the character-specific items such as Military Training.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Foglet posted:

Yeah, they are, much like the character-specific items such as Military Training.

Aw. I was secretly hoping everyone could have their own dog. The Cultist's would be a :downs: pug or something.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Killed the Boss in Chamber 6 thanks to the Black Hole Gun and the AKEY-47. I also had the Alpha Bullet and the Muscle Relaxant so my starting Crossbow did ludicrous damage.

The AKEY-47 is amazing, it destroys locks so you don't need keys! Which was good because I only got 4 keys my entire run.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

The cultist actually have a past of his own.:ssh:
To get it, you have to aim at the Cultist instead of the P1 character during the post-dragun sequence.

Probably not, but is there a 1P Cultist? Mom doesn't let me have anyone over ever since we got caught sneaking out to hit mailboxes with a baseball bat.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't think it's worth it at all to pick up the scattershot bullet. It would really good if it didn't split up the bullet damage but it does and it really sucks trying to kill any individual thing when it a few of those bullets are bound to miss.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kiranamos posted:

Probably not, but is there a 1P Cultist? Mom doesn't let me have anyone over ever since we got caught sneaking out to hit mailboxes with a baseball bat.

If you can deal with never being able to open a chest you can do coop and just kill player 1

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
More "This games RNG is bullshit weird" stuff:

2 secret rooms adjacent to one room.

Same positive and negative effect from a shrine.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I don't think it's worth it at all to pick up the scattershot bullet. It would really good if it didn't split up the bullet damage but it does and it really sucks trying to kill any individual thing when it a few of those bullets are bound to miss.

Any of the other +accuracy sights/muscle relaxant turns it into a god tier item, even the marine starting item is good enough unless you're using shotguns.

Pig is probably the most :3 item.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Decided to do a Level 9 Curse run.

Which resulted in my first:

I had to skip: Elder Blank, Cursula, a mirror, Blood Brooch and stealing from the shop since I got the Aged Bell.

PS: The Owl is fuckin awesome, as is the Aged Bell.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Just destroyed a green chest and got a snowballer. I guess it has a chance to drop something better than junk or pickups.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Just destroyed a green chest and got a snowballer. I guess it has a chance to drop something better than junk or pickups.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that a chest has a chance to drop up to the chest level "below" it - so a brown can do non-chest drops, a blue can do browns, a green can do blues, etc. Not sure if that's been substantiated, though.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

orangelex44 posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that a chest has a chance to drop up to the chest level "below" it - so a brown can do non-chest drops, a blue can do browns, a green can do blues, etc. Not sure if that's been substantiated, though.

It was stated by developer Dave Crooks on one of Richard Hammer's preview streams shortly before game release. It's not impossible that he's wrong, but that's the source.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I loving hate the Wind-Up Gun, it feels like a joke on whoever finds it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I loving hate the Wind-Up Gun, it feels like a joke on whoever finds it.

It's a decent weapon, you just have to pretend its clip is about half as big as it looks.

Finally got to the end, after cheating in infinite keys. Game's a lot more fun with its major source of resource starvation taken away!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just found extra costumes for each of the 4 main guys that I did not realize existed. The marine looks like a armored knight, the hunter wears a wolf skin, the convict looks like a lady space thug, and pilot looks like a cooler pilot. The alt costumes are sitting on the ground near where you select them and I don't know if they've always been there or just since I killed their pasts or what.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I just found extra costumes for each of the 4 main guys that I did not realize existed. The marine looks like a armored knight, the hunter wears a wolf skin, the convict looks like a lady space thug, and pilot looks like a cooler pilot. The alt costumes are sitting on the ground near where you select them and I don't know if they've always been there or just since I killed their pasts or what.

You unlock those when you kill the pasts

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Knights should take triple damage from behind or something. They're just a waste of time.

Maybe starter guns should reload faster? It would make the early game less annoying without really affecting overall difficulty or lategame much.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lead god and the entire 5th floor elevator quest in one run thanks to clone. :toot:

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Note on the Ration: it only heals you upon taking lethal damage if it is active. That means if you're playing as the Pilot or have anything that expands your inventory it needs to be equipped to work. :negative:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nothing better than opening a red chest and getting the box or ration.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

gently caress. I managed to lock myself into the hallway, not the boss fight. The lower part is still closed, just not animated.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Post poste posted:

gently caress. I managed to lock myself into the hallway, not the boss fight. The lower part is still closed, just not animated.

If you wait long enough he will kill himself by his flames. I think a redditor had it happen and it ended up taking 25 minutes of waiting.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Nothing better than opening a red chest and getting the box or ration.

I love the box: it recharges fast enough that you can use it almost every room to scout ahead and start the fight from a good position, on top of the five finger discount advantage.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Note for a secret achievement:

The Time Paradox achievement doesn't work as the Pilot. I think it is because you aren't playing as the Pilot in his past, you are the ship. When you die, your ship just explodes, there's no gun sight animation.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Only achievement I have left is the hunter quests one and I can't bring myself to finish it, it's such a slog.

This was a 9 curse run where I had to go till the 3rd floor until I got the exorcist achievement. (I also ran out of keys shortly thereafter and had all the shops be locked on subsequent floors)

Mastery complete.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Lead God is completely trivialized by clone.... It just counts the number of master rounds you have, not that you have master round I II III IV and V

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

So uh, rolled the dice at the d20 shrine... and it exploded, reduced my health to one heart, flung me into a pit and my damage increased by 5 or more? Can't find any indication that any of this would be a result but my Hegemony Carbine is taking out bullet kin in one and a half bullets.

edit: yeah, big iron took out a tenth of beholster's health with each bullet. I have never seen this result from the shrine before and it doesn't match up with any one of the negative / positive results, since I went from 4 hearts to 1.

Chumppell fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 26, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Don't question it, just live fast, die young, and leave a massive trail of destruction.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One of the first times I used the D20 it boosted my hearts straight to 10 from 4 or so, so I think there might be some "critical" outcomes there.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

One of the first times I used the D20 it boosted my hearts straight to 10 from 4 or so, so I think there might be some "critical" outcomes there.

This makes the most sense. Well, free run, got three health ups right after.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

If I was only allowed one video game for the rest of my life it would be hard not to choose this game, I'm at 84 deaths and have only made it to the fifth chamber once but unless I get hit a bunch in the very first room I always have a blast, I honestly don't mind plinking away at guys on higher floors for awhile because I find the relatively slow moving bullet hell atmosphere really relaxing and whenever I get a boss mastery or whatever I feel really good because hell yeah I earned that. This is my opinions TM

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
gently caress the Ammoconda. I don't know what it is about that specific boss, but I just can't get my brain to wrap around it. No matter how good the run is I get hit 3-5 times. Gatling Gull is another one that people claim is easy, but I just can never manage to flawless - especially the times where there's no cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you have the firepower then blow up the ammoconda balls before he eats them. It makes the fight much quicker and the ammoconda keeps to a much simpler pattern.