Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Blizzard loving up their competitive scene / pissing off OGN really ruined SC2 and it took years to begin repairing, Hearthstone is starting to see some good coverage and depending on how much Riot wants to keep antagonizing OGN HotS might start getting decent coverage too.

I have a bag of popcorn ready for the monte/doa/papasmithy thing, but mostly because doa owns.

but right now i just have a bag of popcorn for articles/tweets about the payout changes :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

I have a bag of popcorn ready for the monte/doa/papasmithy thing, but mostly because doa owns.

doa is cool but I have to watch it on hitbox since it's Too Hot For Twitch.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
My girlfriend used to smoke weed with the dude who just won the pro tour holy poo poo

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

dangerburrd posted:

My girlfriend used to smoke weed with the dude who just won the pro tour holy poo poo

She's going to leave you for his superior wizard skills and dank bud.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I was confused by Steve Rubin because I kept thinking "wtf this guy looks really young for a dude who was a top Magic player 15 years ago"

eventually I realized I was actually confusing him with Ben Rubin

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The only reason I can come up with wizards destroying platinum stipends is that they want to devalue fixed pro point thresholds as opposed to comparative values so that players are less incentivized to "barter" for finishes as described by Efro as standard practice among pros.

But I mean, kind of a heavy handed way to solve the "intentional draw" problem if that was even the goal.

On the other hand technically successful because there are no more pro magic players :laffo:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 25, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I eagerly await the Pro Tour becoming undoable because nobody shows up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zoness posted:

The only reason I can come up with wizards destroying platinum stipends is that they want to devalue fixed pro point thresholds as opposed to comparative values so that players are less incentivized to "barter" for finishes as described by Efro as standard practice among pros.

But I mean, kind of a heavy handed way to solve the "intentional draw" problem if that was even the goal.

On the other hand technically successful because there are no more pro magic players :laffo:

In classic SimCity there was a scenario where you are asked to solve a city's heavy traffic problem. If you set fire to the entire city so no buildings or roads remain, traffic drops to 0 and you get a victory popup message saying you've been awarded the key to the city and suggesting you run for governor.

I'm glad those old games taught me real-world life lessons.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Wouldn't honestly be surprised if WotC pushes the changes back one year, starting in 17-18 season, after they look at the reaction over this week. Changing next season's platinum benefits now when the players are 3/4 through the current has sounded like the biggest and felt like the most justified complaint from the pro player crowd regarding the change, more than the shuffling of money from appearance fees to the Worlds prize pool as such.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

I was confused by Steve Rubin because I kept thinking "wtf this guy looks really young for a dude who was a top Magic player 15 years ago"

eventually I realized I was actually confusing him with Ben Rubin

poo poo, so was I.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Zoness posted:

If you think it's for any reason other than the fact that they want to try to boost the already very meh by esports standard for World Champs into a just meh prize by ESports standards you are deluded. Wizards refuses to spend money on anything ever. Plus a good chunk of magic players either don't know about, don't care about, or actively dislike pro magic players. Like they are already pretty much asses except like LSV and a few others. It's gotten to the point where it's remarkable when a pro isn't a poo poo.

I also fail to see how the pro tour really makes Wizards any money, like the Twitch chats are decent sized, but nothing to brag about, and I remember when the Pro Tour was in my part of town, and I was at an FNM nobody even realized the PT was in town. Nobody cares except grinders, and grinders buy singles, not packs.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Nurturing a healthy tournament scene is a good way to keep your players engaged in the game. Riot isn't looking for direct profit when paying pro players and hosting tournaments. The point is to keep your player base thinking about your game and showing them some cool things that very skilled people can do in the game. And don't think that video game players are somehow inherently more competitive. Somewhere around 75% of LoL players only do bot games. Any lack of interest in the pro scene is because of failure on WotC's part to promote and present it correctly.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In classic SimCity there was a scenario where you are asked to solve a city's heavy traffic problem. If you set fire to the entire city so no buildings or roads remain, traffic drops to 0 and you get a victory popup message saying you've been awarded the key to the city and suggesting you run for governor.

I'm glad those old games taught me real-world life lessons.
never stop posting, lottery of babylon

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Guess the card:

It's Muddle the Mixture

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nurturing a healthy tournament scene is a good way to keep your players engaged in the game. Riot isn't looking for direct profit when paying pro players and hosting tournaments. The point is to keep your player base thinking about your game and showing them some cool things that very skilled people can do in the game. And don't think that video game players are somehow inherently more competitive. Somewhere around 75% of LoL players only do bot games. Any lack of interest in the pro scene is because of failure on WotC's part to promote and present it correctly.

Then again riot apparently doesn't want to pay its casters very well :munch:

anglachel posted:

If you think it's for any reason other than the fact that they want to try to boost the already very meh by esports standard for World Champs into a just meh prize by ESports standards you are deluded. Wizards refuses to spend money on anything ever. Plus a good chunk of magic players either don't know about, don't care about, or actively dislike pro magic players. Like they are already pretty much asses except like LSV and a few others. It's gotten to the point where it's remarkable when a pro isn't a poo poo.

I also fail to see how the pro tour really makes Wizards any money, like the Twitch chats are decent sized, but nothing to brag about, and I remember when the Pro Tour was in my part of town, and I was at an FNM nobody even realized the PT was in town. Nobody cares except grinders, and grinders buy singles, not packs.

Maybe I should have made it more clear that I really have no stake in figuring out why wizards did this when such topheavy structures are pretty ridiculous already. I don't think that it's why wizards did this, but I'd hope so, because it would be more reasonable than "trying to promote magic as an esport".

As for the part about pros being jerks I don't know where you're getting that. It may have been more true 4-5 years ago, and it's probably kind of subjective because there's a pretty big gap between "is unfailingly nice" and "is a jerk" that falls into what would pass as good sportsmanship. Are there statistics on how nice pro tour pros are because the ones I've met were all v cool but maybe you've only met rude ones and I guess that sucks. If anything, wannabe grinders are way more likely to be awful people than actual successful pros.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

That or they don't think it's necessary for certain players to travel around spiking tournaments to grind for Platinum.

Honestly they really should just get jobs. Pascal Maynard was already saying how he basically had to borrow money to fly around to GPs and rare drafted that Goyf to make enough money to hit the next GP. That's kind of unhealthy.

I mean in reality they didn't want to pay for it but still.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand the kind of office job that lets you take off a week at a time 4+ times a year is pretty hard to find. Maybe they think a week is overkill for preparation but seeing the decks prepared by the teams that really take time to prepare is one of the best parts of a pro tour to me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

As for the part about pros being jerks I don't know where you're getting that. It may have been more true 4-5 years ago, and it's probably kind of subjective because there's a pretty big gap between "is unfailingly nice" and "is a jerk" that falls into what would pass as good sportsmanship. Are there statistics on how nice pro tour pros are because the ones I've met were all v cool but maybe you've only met rude ones and I guess that sucks. If anything, wannabe grinders are way more likely to be awful people than actual successful pros.

Yeah I don't know where this is coming from. Everyone I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say about most of the pros, even Owen. And my admittedly limited interaction with them has all been good. The one exception I can think of off the top of my head is Kibler who apparently likes riffle shuffling vintage decks even when repeatedly asked not to.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

suicidesteve posted:

The one exception I can think of off the top of my head is Kibler who apparently likes riffle shuffling vintage decks even when repeatedly asked not to.

But he's so handsome.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Elyv posted:

Guess the card:

It's Muddle the Mixture

Good thing I already picked up my copies for torpor terror.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I think I might be missing something, why the gently caress has it shot up like that?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jenx posted:

I think I might be missing something, why the gently caress has it shot up like that?

It was used in the old Thopter Depths decks, I'm pretty sure (it can find both sides of the Thopter combo, plus the no-longer-relevant Vampire Hexmage).

So I'm guessing it was in response to the unban

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Is there a tool you can upload a collection to, and it checks it against something like mtgtop8 to spit out decks that can be made without having to buy any other cards?

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

kizudarake posted:

Is there a tool you can upload a collection to, and it checks it against something like mtgtop8 to spit out decks that can be made without having to buy any other cards?

mtggoldfish.com has a premium feature that'll do this.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

JerryLee posted:

It was used in the old Thopter Depths decks, I'm pretty sure (it can find both sides of the Thopter combo, plus the no-longer-relevant Vampire Hexmage).

So I'm guessing it was in response to the unban

Oh right, I completely forgot that sword got unbanned.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zoness posted:

On the other hand the kind of office job that lets you take off a week at a time 4+ times a year is pretty hard to find. Maybe they think a week is overkill for preparation but seeing the decks prepared by the teams that really take time to prepare is one of the best parts of a pro tour to me.

From what I gather with the teams that are coming around now there's typically a core of dudes who start serious prep 2 weeks or so in advance (either people without "regular" jobs or who are sponsored to do so or something similar) and then as others get free time/time off they'll hop in to help or just grab whatever decks are prepared.

And I'm wondering if comparing the pro tour to the various esports that are getting popularity is really accurate for magic. Like, I'd say a good deal of the people who go to FMN in my area and play Standard/Modern/Whatever at least have some idea about the pro tour and follow things in the "pro" scene (at least to know what the top decks are, etc) but I do know there's groups of people who have only the vaguest idea if any of what goes on in those areas and do things just like EDH and showing up to prereleases and whatnot. I'm assuming the numbers of people who play CS:GO, LoL, Dota2, Hearthstone, etc have in general a higher level of engagement/consciousness of their various pro scenes. They may just be deciding that they're essentially never going to get that higher level of engagement with a lot of their base and that supporting a pro program isn't worth the expense the way it is for Riot/Valve/Blizzard.

The raising of the World Championship prize seems strange though, because they're essentially cutting off a source of income for a lot of the dudes who would be expected to play in it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Judd Stackington posted:

mtggoldfish.com has a premium feature that'll do this.

Yeah, no, I'm a cheap motherfucker who hates saffronolive and doesn't want to contribute semi-directly to his well-being.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
How could anyone hate SaffronOlive and his hilarious mispronunciations?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

From what I gather with the teams that are coming around now there's typically a core of dudes who start serious prep 2 weeks or so in advance (either people without "regular" jobs or who are sponsored to do so or something similar) and then as others get free time/time off they'll hop in to help or just grab whatever decks are prepared.

And I'm wondering if comparing the pro tour to the various esports that are getting popularity is really accurate for magic. Like, I'd say a good deal of the people who go to FMN in my area and play Standard/Modern/Whatever at least have some idea about the pro tour and follow things in the "pro" scene (at least to know what the top decks are, etc) but I do know there's groups of people who have only the vaguest idea if any of what goes on in those areas and do things just like EDH and showing up to prereleases and whatnot. I'm assuming the numbers of people who play CS:GO, LoL, Dota2, Hearthstone, etc have in general a higher level of engagement/consciousness of their various pro scenes. They may just be deciding that they're essentially never going to get that higher level of engagement with a lot of their base and that supporting a pro program isn't worth the expense the way it is for Riot/Valve/Blizzard.

The raising of the World Championship prize seems strange though, because they're essentially cutting off a source of income for a lot of the dudes who would be expected to play in it.

I mean, at the same time, the ratio of people who watch a premier league/dota tournament stream is a very small portion of the player base of those games. That disparity is probably more pronounced for magic though.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 25, 2016

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zoness posted:

I mean, at the same time, the ratio of people who watch a premier league/dota tournament stream is a very small portion of the player base of those games. That disparity is probably more pronounced for magic though.

I don't know if it's that small. Or, at least I think most dudes who play league/dota are aware of the LCS/TI stuff if only because they get advertised in the clients for their respective games. It's obviously anecdotal but I've never talked with anyone who played either game and didn't also have some idea about the pro scene (if only to know it existed). Where like for magic, the dudes at my work I found out who play only have the vaguest idea of formats and have no idea about all the pro tour stuff whatsoever.

I mean I'd personally like to see WotC put more effort into tournaments, the pro tour, and enabling pro players (even though I'll never be one). I always think it's cool to see names pop up at the tournaments that I remember from back when I started playing. I'm just not sure WotC thinks there's anything to be gained from any of that stuff. It's kinda like how they seem to under utilize MTGO because it seems they don't want to put the money in it to make it better-why bother when it's already raking in cash? As some dudes have mentioned it seems short sighted, but I'm not a Hasbro/WotC exec so what do I know.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I know this is entirely anecdotal, but I started playing again seriously at KTK and loving love the Pro Tour and look forward to the broadcast like a kid at Christmas. Even though wotc's approach to coverage is heavily, HEAVILY flawed, watching people who are incredibly good at magic play and out metagame for the weekend or make a truly busted deck is fun as hell (eldrazi aside). Making pro level players have less incentive to do so seems generally bad, even if most players are disconnected from the competitive scene.

I think this can kind of be equated to automobile companies that make a supercar or sink R&D money into a vehicle approximately .2% of their customers would buy. Yeah Nissan might even lose money on the Skyline (doubtfully), but the simple act of making it shows they care about being an elite automobile manufacturer and apparently that's worth it for them to do. If you show you essentially are hanging your top level players out to dry, an easy conclusion to come to is that the core of the game - the somewhat intelligent design and development process that ultimately gives players a feeling of accomplishment and fun when they play - might be compromised because they don't care about crazy good people breaking it as much.

It's also truly bizzare to do this while simultaneously heavily increasing focus on the players in the Pro scene. Coverage has been intensly interested in telling viewers about teams, the players on them, and even going so far as to make a loving documentary about them that is hilariously being released to coincide with them gutting payouts. To me, wotc is basically assuming pros have nothing better to do than be their NCAA athletes who will keep playing this game at a high level to earn assuredly truly lucrative writing contracts at the various store web sites or something.

This was a lot of words. But I'm up at 5am because my shoulder got jacked because a car turned left in front of me while riding my motorcycle and I made some fun dents in the side of it and have little better to do in my pain-based insomnia than write this I guess.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think the underlying idea is that investment in individual players isn't actually worth what those players think it is.

If Owen Turtenwald goes away, they don't give a gently caress. On the HOF side, that investment is even worse, because the HOFs are mostly lapsed players who are happy to take the check and flight to somewhere fun 4 times a year while not actually preparing or do anything the way Kibler or Kai Budde do, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if well over half the people watching streams don't even remember when Kibler was playing at an elite level.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 25, 2016

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

One thing about the HoF change, which I didn't consider before Olle Råde asked about it from Helene, is that while the hall of famers still get invites to PTs, they have not received travel tickets and still can't play in the PPTQ/RPTQ circuit which gives out those in addition to the invite. So if they wish to play in a non-HoF induction ceremony PT, those would have to come from their own pocket, if they don't happen to be gold pros or better.

Other than that I don't think the HoF change is too unreasonable - something has been definitely coming on that front with HoF naturally growing over the years, and at least subjectively the proportion of actively playing pros increasing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Provincials Tournament reports:

Day 1: Standard.

Deck: U/W Sky.

Report: Literally played against Bant Company for 5 rounds (a deck I hadn’t dropped around too until this day)

Went 2-3 and dropped early to go swimming (the only winning move was not to play)

Day 2: Modern

Deck: Infect

Reports:

R1 vs Scapeshift, lose 0-2

I was playing against probably the most experienced Scapeshift player in the Province, he’d been playing it since it was in standard.

G1: Lose the die roll, but go T1 hierarch into T2 Wild Defiance and then T3 Spellskite and blighted agent. T4 either a 1 or less mana targeted spell or a land I can tap for mana, or a noble hierarch win me the game. I draw Dryad Arbor, frown, pay 2 life to gitaxian probe, Brick again, hit for 9 infect, and am killed the next turn with 21 Valakut triggers.

G2: I keep a two lander with no blue, (but 3 blighted agent), I don’t see blue for 3 turns and my opponent slams a valakut and bolts everything I try to play, gg.

R2 vs Grixis Control, Lose 1-2

G1: I win the die roll and intentionally play into removal and my singleton Pact of Negation gets me the surprise win when I tap out.

G2: My opponent has all the removal.

G3: I made a serious punt on T4 by not protecting my Inkmoth Nexus because (I think to myself) “I have a shitload of creatures!” My opponent also has a fair amount of removal, but I get him to 7 infect and have a glistener elf in play but no evasion. There’s about a 4 turn window where if I draw a pump spell I win the game, but instead I draw 2 fetches and two glistener elves. kanye shrug

R3 vs Soul Sisters, win 2-0

This is honestly a slam dunk match up for the deck.

G1: Lose the die roll (I think) T1 hierarch, T2 Spellskite and Glistener elf. Spellskite eats a Path for the team, and Glistener elf pumps and wins.

G2: My opponent mulls to 4, I apologize for his luck.

R4 vs Esper Sacrifice Fuckery, Win 2-0 (but it’s loving weird)

This match was super loving weird, and this guys deck was loving crazy. Probably my favourite brew of the day.

G1: I lose the die roll. I keep a hand of forest, Glistener elf x2, Rancor x2, Mutagenic Growth, Vines of Vastwood (if I draw a land, great, if I don’t, still pretty okay)

Opponent T1: Land Pass

T1 glistener pass

Opponent T2: Drowned Rusalka, pass

T2: (don’t draw a land) Rancor Glistener Elf, attack. Opponent blocks with Rusalka and I Mutagenic growth to push Damage through.

Opponent T3: Sidisi’s Faithful, Exploit, return glistener elf and rancor to hand. Cast Drowned Rusalka

T3: Still drawn no land, cast Glistener Elf, pass.

Opponent T4: opponent casts Origins Flip Lilly (????)

T4: Draw a land, Sweet! It’s Dryad Arbor, gently caress! Cast Second Glistener Elf, pass.

Opponent T5: casts Mindslicer (what), casts a third sidisi’s Faithful, exploiting itself, returning glistener elf 1. Flips Lilly, Minus 1’s returning Sidisi’s Faithful Exploiting the Mindslicer, returning my second Glistener elf to hand. Then we both discard our hands! I discard my entire 8 card hand.

My board state is currently 2 green lands, nothing else, no cards in hands. Opponent sacs the Rusalka to draw a card, Draws the card and immediately hands up call the judge and explains the he just drew a sideboard card in game 1 and eats a game loss. A game lost where I am so far behind it’s insane. But I profusely thanked the guy for being honest and for winning all of the karma points.

We ask the judge if this means we can sideboard, and it does!

G2: I am on the draw but I go T1 Hierarch, T2 Spellskite into Glistener Elf. I spend the next 3 turns paying 2 life to redirect Sidisi’s Faithful triggers to my Spellskite while sculpting a hand (looking desperately for evasion). I play an Inkmoth.

Opponent CASTS A MOTHERFUCKING SEANCE to bring back a Sidisi’s Faithful to block but I rip a distortion strike so that I can pile the rest of my pump spells into my now unblockable creature. Jesus loving Christ.

Round 4 vs THE SPICY JUND, Lose 0-2

G1: I win the die roll, and land an elf that doesn’t eat an immediate bolt. My opponent Lava axes himself for fetch shock thoughtseize and takes my become immense (but looks long and hard about the pact of negation in hand)

I spend a few turns getting in for damage (1 or 2 at a time). Opponent attempts to Kolaghans command my Spellskite and deal damage to Blighted Agent, I have skite redirect the damage as well and my opponent just says “nice, you knew about that!”

I git probe and see lightning bolt, kholaghans command x2 and Murderous cut. But he’s short on mana. There’s a 3 turn window where if I Draw a pump spell I win. Unfortunately I don’t and my opponent Draws fulminator to destroy an inkmoth, and then Proceeds to Eternal Witness twice for Kholagans’s Commands. Long story short getting Kholagans Command cast on you 5 turns in a row feels real bad and I lose.

G2: I try. Oh how I try to do things. My opponent double inquisitions both my Dispels out of hand (dang son just dang) I get two hierarchs and a glistener elf and move to combat (after playing a loving Dryad Arbor that I drew (this card is a problem in many games) in response my opponent drops a GOD drat MAIN DECK JUND CHARM HOLY CHOCOLATE CATS.

I pass the turn after my board is wiped and he windmill slams a night of souls betrayal. The writing is on the wall and I offer the handshake.

R6 vs Grixis Control, Win 2-0

G1: T1: I win the die roll and play Pendlehaven into glistener elf. My keep is pretty good (pendlehaven, glistener elf, glistener elf, might of old krosa, groundswell, mutagenic growth, mutagenic growth)

Opponent T1: plays Creeping Tar Pit and passes.

T2: I draw, windmill slam a forest, main phase might of old krosa, attack, groundswell, mutagenic growth, 11 infect gg.

Sideboarding is hard but I assume he’s on GRixis so I side in twisted image and Relic

G2: we both keep at 7. Opponent seems to keep a very removal light hand. Eventually I have a glistener elf, pendlehaven, and 2x hierarch in play. I have pinged him for 4 infect.

Opponent: Git Probes me and sees just pump spells, drops double thing in the ice passes turn.

My turn: Activate Pendlehaven on glistener elf, move to combat swing with my 4/5, opponent blocks with a thing in the ice, it dies, pass turn. (I have 4 cards in Hand)

On opponents turn: he uses the Fall half of Rise and Fall. In response I twisted image his other thing in the ice, and completely forget to draw a card off of it :\ I end up randomly discarding become immense and vines of vastwood, leaving me with a Mutagenic growth. Opponent Passes.

My Turn: Draw Git Probe, cast it for 2 life, draw a groundswell, crack a fetch I’d been saving for just such an occasion, then go combat, mutagenic, groundswell. For lethal.

R7 vs Grixis ZOOICIDE!!!!!!!! (probably my second favourite deck of the day) Win 2-1

I lose the die roll and my opponent goes T1 Fetch – Shock – Thoughtseize (15) and takes my Spellsite (okay sure).

My T1: I play a forest and Noble Hierarch.

Opponent T2: goes Fetch – Shock (12) Kiln Fiend, Holy poo poo it’s it’s beautiful.

My T2: land, second Hierarch, Glistener elf.

Opponent T3: Fetch – Shock (9) serum visions, passes.

My T3: Play and Activate pendlehaven on Glistener elf, swing 4. Opponent blocks with deaths shadow (4/4) and in response mutagenic growths it to make it an 8/8 (7), I also mutagenic growth to make the elf a 6/6, which leaves deaths shadow as a 2/2. (my plan next turn is to attack with a noble hierarch and get in for the rest of this life) Pass Turn.

Opponents turn: attacks with Kiln Fiend, I block with my untapped Hierarch. Opponent Temur Battle Rage’s, I move to Pact it, opponent dispels pact, I become immense on the Hierarch so I have a 10/11 hierarch. Opponent throws down a tainted strike on the Kiln fiend and I die to 11/11 double striking infect.

G2: My opponent kills all of my infect creatures while lowering his life to (5) or with a Death’s shadow out, but he’s stuck on not much land.

My board is 1 hierarch and 4 land (plus fetch) so I attack with a 2/3 hierarch. Opponent blocks with deaths shadow and I vines of Vastwood, (resolves), crack fetch (get dryad arbor) and Become immense on the heirarch to make it an 11/12. Opponent responds with mutagenic growth on the Death’s shadow (3 life) to make it a 12/12. I groundswell to make the hierarch a 15/16, and it finally loving eats the deaths shadow.

Next turn: opponent draws and passes with two cards in hand.

My Turn: (one card in hand) move into combat, attack with dryad arbor for 3. Opponent casts a tainted strike targeting dryad arbor (To give it +1/+0 and infect until end of turn) This is actually a smart as gently caress play because he’s at 3 life and has 0 infect. Unfortunately I dispel the tainted strike and the remaining card in his hand is a land. This game was super weird and tight and completely hosed up.

G3: Unfortunately my opponent mulls to 6. He aggressively serum visions as much as possible while fetch-shocking himself but isn’t happy with what he’s finding. I Hierarch into Glistener Elf and my opponent thougthseizes and takes spellskite. I git probe and see a gurmag angler and not much else so I swing in for 3 infect

Next turn opponent casts the poo poo out of that Gurmag Anglerand Passes.

I untap, Rancor the Glistener elf (he’s now wearing 2 rancor!) Swing 6 (exalted), opponent blocks with gurmag angler, I mutagenic growth and then become immense. That’s 14 vs his angler 5 toughness and that’s all she wrote.

After this match my opponent was talking with another teammate and asked if I was ripped on cocaine because I was chatty.

R8 vs Goryo Reanimator, Win 2-1

G1: I win the die roll and go Breeding Pool into glistener elf.

Opponents turn: Steam Vents, Faithless Looting, Exile Simian Spirit Guide Faithless loothing.

My Turn: cast hierarch, Rancor the elf, swing 4.

Opponents Turn: Serum Visions, exile simian spirit guide, faithless looting, frown, pass turn.

My Turn: Pump Spell, win game

Going into Game 2 I MAKE A HUGE SIDEBOARDING MISTAKE!!!!!! I get another become immense and dispels, but forget the loving Relics of Progenitus. Don’t be like me, don’t make that mistake.

G2: My opponent snap keeps and goes land – looting, (grizzlebees in the yard and a worldspine that gets shuffled in) pass

My Turn: I have a loose keep, but I have a dispel in hand, but only 2 green sources so I pendlehaven into noble hierarch.

Opponent T2: drops land, Goryo’s for Grizzlebee, draws 14 cards, swings 7, draws 7 more cards, nourishing shoal discarding worldspine, gain 11(?), second nourishing shoal for another 11, draw an additional 21 cards (so 42 cards drawn total) Exiles 4 simian spirit guides, splices a Through the Breach onto Arcane, drops Bobo Enraged, and throws scads of lands at my face. So that’s the god hand for the Goryo deck.

G3: I make a Board of T1 hierarch, T2 Hierarch into Blighted agent

Opponents first two turns: spent digging and digging hard. Misses second land drop

My turn: I don’t have a lot of action, but I swing for 3 infect. (I don’t have enough to 1 shot)

Opponents turn: Rips a land and plays pyroclasm, so I crack a fetch in response and groundswell my blighted agent to survive. Opponent is tapped out and passes.

My Turn: Rip a become immense off the top, buy I want a little redundancy,so I twisted image my own Blighted agent to draw a card (because it’s mana neutral for become immense purposes and it draws me a card) I draw a Rancor and put it on the blighted agent (because I don’t Know how twisted image works because it makes it a 1/3 not a 3/1 until end of turn) On the upside I have the become immense to add 6 more damage to make 7 for lethal. My opponents friend calls a judge on us and we both explain the situation. Judge explains that the creature basically is a 1/3 before the become immense, and why. I thank the judge for correcting me, because I was clearly using that card wrong. The judge looks at the Become immense and my opponents poison total and asks why he got called for this. I say “thank you got explaining this weird interaction that I definitely was getting incorrect, would you like to collect our match slip since my opponent and I both agree that the game is over?”

My opponents friend apologized, I said it’s okay because I learned something., everybody wins.

Overall record 5-3 for a spot right near top 32. Not terrible for a tournament of over 150 or so, My tie breaks were super butt.

Sick plays I saw at provincials:

- a match slip between mono white pillow fort and lantern control that read 0-0-2 after they went to time. That’s right, they drew two games.

- An Ad Naseum player playing against hate bears who lost game 1 and then proceeded to combo out game 2 through an opponent who had a gaddock Teeg and a Thalia in play. Then Combo out G3 on T5 through a Thalia

Weird Facts:

- The deck that won it all was G/R Tron. Which was surprising as gently caress. I guess Tron isn’t Dead yet.

- The deck that got 10th (and ruined my friend on Ad Nauseum’s chance on prizing) was R/G Land Destruction. That’s right, apparently Game 1 (my friend on ad naus lost the die roll) opponent went T1 land arbor elf, T2 Land Arbor Elf Birds of Paradise into T3 Mwonvuli Acid Moss, T4 Molten Rain, Molten Rain, T5 Goblin Dank Memers Molten Rain. G2 my friend suspended lotus bloom into a land or two into double pentad prism which gave him a chance to combo out soon. LD guy went Beast Within into acidic slime into stone rain; into goblin dank memers -> stone rain.

Bold rear end meta

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but while re-watching coverage it appears Rubin was using Zendikar non-full basics at the PT, at least for his forests.

My kinda guy.

Edit: I didn't even realize they reprinted that forest as an Origins basic. How tame, Rubin.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

How many more of you are going to continue to be ignorant to the fact that people who buy single push pack sales and make wotc money? How many boxes do you think have to be opened to produce a playset of avancyns? Hell, I still wager that hunting for singles opens more packs than limited does.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 25, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

How many more of you are going to continue to be ignorant to the fact that people who buy single push push pack sales and make wotc money? How many boxes do you think have to be opened to produce a playset of avancyns? Hell, I still wager that hunting for singles opens more packs than limited does.

Exactly. Stores and players buy boxes to crack for singles to use or to sell to players to use. That is literally the only way all these cards get into circulation, besides limited play of course.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

kizudarake posted:

http://www.shoeboxmtg.com/ does this for free. Been a while since I used it though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Guess the card:

It's Muddle the Mixture

Great, guess I'm buying UW Thopter Sword pieces a little sooner than I wanted.

Edit: Nevermind

Edit 2: Actually no that's just TCGDirect being dumb.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Got my custom playmat finished, illustrated by a friend of mine. Looks way better than it does on the photo, because man my phone sucks.

• Locked thread