Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Phi keep drinking by yourself as you hate-watch this show you pathetic little worm. :lol:

Episode was pretty good - some minor setups and typical of every first episode in the series.

the nerds defending the show are more angry than I am

whoda thunk

its just a mediocre show nothing to bust a vein over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

You should just take film adaptations on their own in general- fidelity to the source material is completely independent of quality.

Honestly the longer I have watched movies in my life the more this seems to be true; you're right.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm glad the dogs disappeared because otherwise the dogs would have been hurt and they had a pretty hard job tracking through snow and frozen rivers but they did it!! They were Good Dogs.

Honestly, if your dog can't track a man known as 'Reek', you need a better dog

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dunno, if those were the same dogs Ramsay used to hunt down one of his girlfriends a while back we may not want to be putting them on the "good" side just yet.

Also this, Reek even mentions it. Ramsay's dogs are not nice.

Also, Ramsay even mentioned that when Miranda wasn't afraid of him, she said it was because he couldn't do anything to her that the dogs didn't do. :barf:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dunno, if those were the same dogs Ramsay used to hunt down one of his girlfriends a while back we may not want to be putting them on the "good" side just yet.

Were they Pinochet-style hunting dogs? Those are the only bad dogs. Otherwise they're just doing their job!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Raxivace posted:

You should just take film adaptations on their own in general- fidelity to the source material is completely independent of quality.

I agree with this, but I can still understand why book-readers would be upset that some of the super-cool poo poo they talk about doesn't show up in the show. I feel like I can understand why it doesn't show up in the show (at least most of the time), but I get it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bobo the Red posted:

Honestly, if your dog can't track a man known as 'Reek', you need a better dog

He had just had a bath, though.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Xae posted:

In the books Doran is a Littlefinger or Tywin level schemer.

He isn't just making moves, he is doing so in ways that no one, even his own family, suspects what he is pulling off and is directly and indirectly responsible for some of the major plot points. Including sheltering the Visc and Danny as well as arranging Danny's marriage to Khal Drogo.

To have him out maneuvered by the Snakes is quite a stretch.

Pretty much this, one of the better parts of the latter books is the political scheming duel between Vayrs/Littlefinger/Doran with Manderly having his own plans and Sansa looking to eventually join in the last two books. Now it's down to pretty much Varys Order versus Littlefinger's Chaos because Doran's dead, they might not even introduce Manderly, and who the hell knows where Sansa's story arc is headed.

Shittastic Dorn subplot aside everything else was pretty enjoyable this episode.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Pretty much this, one of the better parts of the latter books is the political scheming duel between Vayrs/Littlefinger/Doran with Manderly having his own plans and Sansa looking to eventually join in the last two books. Now it's down to pretty much Varys Order versus Littlefinger's Chaos because Doran's dead, they might not even introduce Manderly, and who the hell knows where Sansa's story arc is headed.

Shittastic Dorn subplot aside everything else was pretty enjoyable this episode.

Sansa d'Arc maiden of winterfell patron saint of soldiers and france

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are there many repeated names in the series? I just realized one of the Sand sisters shares the same name as Arya's wolf.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

Phi230 posted:

whoda thunk

I'm busting my main vein if you know what I mean.

Maybe you should take a long hard look at yourself in your stained mirror, remove your choker, and tuck yourself into bed for the long night's rest

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

SexyBlindfold posted:

(Wait, did you take that from the opening credits? Don't they just list the appearing characters of each episode?)

oh

if that's the case, I could be wrong. I mean, I certainly hope I'm wrong. I'd like the Dorne scene tonight to just have been DB and DB coming out from under GRRM's thumb and being "yes finally we can kill everyone in Dorne and be done with that poo poo"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SexyBlindfold posted:

Were they Pinochet-style hunting dogs? Those are the only bad dogs. Otherwise they're just doing their job!

That's the same excuse they used at the Nuremberg dog trials.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Buddha. posted:

I'm busting my main vein if you know what I mean.

Maybe you should take a long hard look at yourself in your stained mirror, remove your choker, and tuck yourself into bed for the long night's rest

i thought i was watching the VVitch at the end there

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zotix posted:

Are there many repeated names in the series? I just realized one of the Sand sisters shares the same name as Arya's wolf.

Usually it's people named after other people.

Early on, Robert and Robb. They exclusively called Robert Arryn "Robin" so as to not have one more.

Jon Snow and Jon Arryn.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I was hoping that Dany's storyline this season was that she'd be opposed by a Trumplike Khal

we're gonna rebuild the fighting pits and valyria's gonna pay for it

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Phi230 posted:

whoda thunk

finally! somebody telling goons how it is!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Sansa will eventually take Winterfell back and become the Queen of the North. Well, after Jon is revived by Melisandre, because he's gonna help her unite the north, then he'll stay at Castle Black to fight the White Walkers while Sansa stays at Winterfell. And somewhere in the middle of that Rickon will reunite with her

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zotix posted:

Another one is that Bran is short for Brandon, which was both Ned's big brother's name (the guy the Mad King burned before the show), and the name of the founder of House Stark and guy who built the Wall, who people call Bran the Builder

But yeah like the guy said there's a bunch because just like the real world people like to name their kids after ancestors and heroes and stuff

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Zotix posted:

Another one is named after notorious dead person Ellia Martell. Bran Stark might have been named after Edd's older brother, killed by the Mad King. Jon Snow was probably named after Jon Arryn.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
...Are there people still thinking that the book and TV series are one and the same? After what they've done and changed? You'd think that they'd get the hint that the show is going to do its own thing and just use the books for inspiration. I firmly believe most of the complaints are from book readers that aren't allowed to act all haughty and condescending that they know what happens in a show before the rest of us do, and instead get to actually enjoy a show and be surprised with the rest of us.

I'm going to make it a point to ignore every post that compares what happens to the show unfavorably to something from the book, because it literally means nothing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bobo the Red posted:

I want to know who was creeping on Tyrion and Varys. I was worried.
I don't know that it was someone creeping on them specifically as much as it was showing how all the citizens of Meereen were peeping through windows and cracks and afraid to leave their homes in the wake of the colosseum massacre. The markets and streets were empty.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

Zotix posted:

Nymeria was the badass warrior queen of Dorne in ancient history.

Arya named her direwolf that cuz she's strong, independent, and not a "conventional" highborn girl.

Sand Snake has the name cuz it's Dorne and they're more progessive about women being fighters or rulers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I swear to God there is nothing funnier than goons smugposting about how tv shows don't make sense, only to find out they cannot understand the flashing lights and colours dancing before their eyes

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For a good guy, Brienne's been alive for too long. It's gonna suck balls when she dies.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It's also funny how people can't remember things that happened within an hour's span.

Probably because they were too busy on their smartphones shitposting instead of watching the show.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
She completed two different character arcs in two episodes, shes hosed

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

That or something equally contrived like she gave up her life force to bring JS back to life and turned in to a bangin' bod granny.

There are hints in the books and the show that she's much older than she appears. The necklace seems to be what helps project the illusion because it disappeared as soon as the necklace came off

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soothing Vapors posted:

I swear to God there is nothing funnier than goons smugposting about how tv shows don't make sense, only to find out they cannot understand the flashing lights and colours dancing before their eyes

the ghost of the true detective s2 thread (note: this is not a post about how true detective s2 was a great show)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Also the choker thing is explained here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_P0hkDmAG0

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Well, if you have to watch that in order to understand the episode, then that's just lazy writing. Hopefully they explain it in the next episode, if at all.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Brennan posted:

There are hints in the books and the show that she's much older than she appears. The necklace seems to be what helps project the illusion because it disappeared as soon as the necklace came off

Someone on another site pointed out, this also means that she's been around a while- she's seen kingdoms fall and winters come and go before, so if she's freaking out now, things are REALLY hosed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Xanderkish posted:

I agree with this, but I can still understand why book-readers would be upset that some of the super-cool poo poo they talk about doesn't show up in the show. I feel like I can understand why it doesn't show up in the show (at least most of the time), but I get it.
I think part of the issue too is that what makes a good novel doesn't necessarily make a good film or show.

Like part of the reason it took me a while to get on board with Game of Thrones is that I thought the first season did a terrible job establishing the relationships between a lot of the bajillion characters. It took me a longass time to figure out who the gently caress everyone was- I suspected that the most of the scripts were just dialogue from the novels copied and pasted in, with maybe some extra bits thrown in here and there.

Later I actually read the first book and found that to largely be the case. However novels can also go on tangents very easily and give the reader paragraphs of information about the characters, how they relate to each other, their family histories, what they're feeling in the moment etc. I found this to be much more effective than what the show did because it took basic advantage of the medium of the written word to tell a story. Books are not constrained by visuals, but they also don't have visceral strength of visuals either, something I think the show generally actually handles very well- Ned getting beheaded is much more memorable in the show for this reason, whereas in the book it's not even directly depicted. Similarly, if The Winds of Winter has a chapter where Melisandre becomes an old woman suddenly, I guarantee it will be much less effective than the visual of the attractive, naked Clarice van Houten suddenly turning into a super old woman.

I haven't read anything past the first book, so I can't say if what the books do with Dorne would have made for better television than what the show actually did. However we can still criticize what the show did without necessarily falling back on it being different than the books.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 25, 2016

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Zotix posted:

The entire Frey family.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone on another site pointed out, this also means that she's been around a while- she's seen kingdoms fall and winters come and go before, so if she's freaking out now, things are REALLY hosed.
It's probably her questioning her faith more than anything, considering she staked it all on Stannis quite clearly and confidently and it turned out she was wrong.

Nothing's more depressing than a religious fanatic suddenly being filled with self-doubt.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Raxivace posted:

Hey listen, you loving take that back. Stannis was the rightful heir to the Iron Throne and had the Lord of Light on his side. He defended the Wall when everyone else was going to let it fall.

He didn't die, he's probably just undercover somewhere in Winterfell. S5E10 wasn't canon.

this but also mostly unironically

he's on a nice farm somewhere upkingdom with a The Hound to run and play with.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Lotta people wishing they saw gruesome dog murders tonight.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Soothing Vapors posted:

This and lmao - best episode ending evah. I swear, between that and the Sand Snakes bits it's almost as if D&D are deliberately trolling by this point. Or at least I'll choose to believe that, so long as cool scenes like those with Brienne and Davos also keep happening.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Soothing Vapors posted:

*Ramsey says he's sent men and dogs after Reek and Sansa*

*Scene cuts to Reek and Sansa running away with dogs audibly barking in the background*

*head explodes*

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I swear, I thought you were all just become big RPG fanatics until I had to Google what "D&D" meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
The dogs have been totally played up as terrifying man-eaters, and then they just licked Sansa's face and disappeared. This is loving GoT, and least let us watch Pod get ravaged by hounds.

• Locked thread