Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If Ellaria and the Sand Snakes had the populace on their side, including what seems to be a significant number of the palace guards, why did they need to go through with their desperate and poorly-planned daylight assassination attempt last season? Why didn't the palace guards flock to their side when they got busted by Areo, especially after Obara revealed her identity and professed her loyalty to her father? Or did Ellaria and the Sand Snakes win the loyalty of everyone in Dorne except Doran and Areo offscreen between the time of their release from prison last season and this episode? Questions I'm sure will be answered.

Away all Goats posted:

Apparently Elia Martell was so totally awesome that the whole country is bummed that her brother didn't do anything about her death.

I wish that we got a shot of the Dornish population and it's just a thousand Oberyns all screaming "HE RAPED HER, HE MURDERED HER, HE KILLED HER CHILDREN" repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Interesting how they simplified Dorne's convoluted Snow White and the Seven Dwarves plot into this adapted abortion. Because it was received so well last season.

No fan service in this fan fiction.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The entire Kingdom of Dorne was shot down over the Sea of Dorne, it spun in, there were no survivors.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
If that's the end of Dorne I'll not be disappointed. It was pretty poo poo in the books too. All the scheming Doran did will most likely be inconsequential, and the chapters themselves were very boring. But if we're getting more screen time with Bad Pussy Brigade, then lol. All the North storylines are pretty interesting. I just hope they don't drag along Arya's training thing for another entire season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Anarkii posted:

If that's the end of Dorne I'll not be disappointed. It was pretty poo poo in the books too. All the scheming Doran did will most likely be inconsequential, and the chapters themselves were very boring. But if we're getting more screen time with Bad Pussy Brigade, then lol. All the North storylines are pretty interesting. I just hope they don't drag along Arya's training thing for another entire season.

It's not the end of Dorne, it's just the end of the only good actor in the Dorne plot line. Now we'll get a whole season of bad pussy trying to start a dumb war.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spaceman Future! posted:

GRRM will never release anything ever again

WILD CARDS

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Arya needs to go find Stick and learn sweet blind fighting moves.

They call her the Devil of Braavos.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
I watched the episode in Russian. Did I miss anything of note? Doesn't sound like it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Thomase posted:

I watched the episode in Russian. Did I miss anything of note? Doesn't sound like it.

Hilariously out of place dothraki banter, otherwise no

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I have to admit, the "well, she won't be sailing to Westeros any time soon" line was pretty great.

Also I guess the masters have their own twenty good men which is why they've been practically unbeatable.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 25, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This show is kind of terrible

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

This show is kind of terrible

It's as good as it ever was.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It was more consistent/logical when D&D were following the books. Now they've got to come up with stuff on their own, and this is what we get.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 25, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

It's as good as it ever was.

Having just rewatched seasons 1-3 over the past week I can resoundingly say that you are wrong.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having just rewatched seasons 1-3 over the past week I can resoundingly say that you are wrong.

By sheer coincidence:

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 25, 2016

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

The sandsnakes are so loving garbage and it's infuriating that they are written to be mastermind assassins. Why did the writers sweep Doran under the rug without fleshing him out? Why bother casting such a fantastic actor?
Hotah also got the Barristan the Belly treatment and got hyped up/presented as a badass and then goes down like a loving no-name redshirt.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

LegalPad posted:

The sandsnakes are so loving garbage and it's infuriating that they are written to be mastermind assassins. Why did the writers sweep Doran under the rug without fleshing him out? Why bother casting such a fantastic actor?
Hotah also got the Barristan the Belly treatment and got hyped up/presented as a badass and then goes down like a loving no-name redshirt.

perhaps its because the writers are bad :iiam:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Some random thoughts:

- 6 good men are now match for 1 good woman, a guy who could not fight until a few days ago (Podrick) and someone nearly dieing to hypothermia
- Bad Pussy beats Chess Master
- How do the logistics work for the Tristane assassination? Not only does the choice of weapons make no sense but how did the Sand Snakes get on board and why did Jamie just let a vary valuable hostage sit alone on the ship?
- Expect same Glamour shenanigans on the wall very soon, looks like they had to introduce the idea of that in a hurry
- King's Landing is nearly completely the opposite of the books, with Jamie being the megalomaniacal one and Margery still in prison. I guess the Tyrells are not supposed to have any military power anymore.

But it's good to see that the show remains on track - getting worse every season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
edit: gently caress double post.

Still terrible first episode though

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

- How do the logistics work for the Tristane assassination? Not only does the choice of weapons make no sense but how did the Sand Snakes get on board and why did Jamie just let a vary valuable hostage sit alone on the ship?

I think it's actually Tristan's ship, crewed by Dornishmen (since Jaime and Bronn snuck into Dorne), so maybe he was smart enough not to go to a Lannister city all on his own.

I was pretty sure the sand Snakes stayed in Dorne though. How they managed to get on the ship is a mystery.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," say Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know Doran and Trystane, the ruler and heir of Dorne?' ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that they'd get killed by the Sand Snakes? What else are the Snakes going to do?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

There was no weight to anyone's death in this episode. RIP Doran, RIP Hotah, RIP Trystane -- nobody cares or knows who you were because you received zero characterization.
They might as well had a loving kazoo sound off when Trystane got killed and a slide whistle when Hotah got stabbed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hey at least we finally had an episode were Sansa wasn't getting actively poo poo on by everything and everyone.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Narmi posted:

I was pretty sure the sand Snakes stayed in Dorne though. How they managed to get on the ship is a mystery.

Even J'aqen said that even with his skills it would take days, months, years to kill someone so far away and heavily guarded (in that case Tywin).

By this point they should just say "gently caress it, we are not taking this seriously anymore" and have the final confrontation for the Iron Throne be Ser Twenty of the House Goodmen vs Bad Pussies.

After what we saw today, is anyone on this thread still doubting the legitimacy of the extra's spoiler?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Whoever said it's reached Dexter levels is absolutely right because in both shows you started having more and more moments that you felt like an idiot for actually paying attention. Cersei's forgotten baby, forgotten necklace, whatever the gently caress that Dorne assassination poo poo was, we're one more season away from them introducing a new Stark kid that's randomly written into the show as if it's been there the whole time like Married With Children.

The necklace. Ugh. The necklace. Okay if the writer of the episode somehow was forced to write it because they wanted to foreshadow the glamor in the future whatever, nothing you can do about it, but why in the holy gently caress did nobody question why she decides to put it all the way across the room from her? Especially on a night in which she had to know would have a reasonable chance of someone coming to her chamber because of a slight ongoing case of A MOTHERFUCKING MUTINY.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Cygni posted:

Hey at least we finally had an episode were Sansa wasn't getting actively poo poo on by everything and everyone.

don't kink shame

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

lezard_valeth posted:

Even J'aqen said that even with his skills it would take days, months, years to kill someone so far away and heavily guarded (in that case Tywin).

By this point they should just say "gently caress it, we are not taking this seriously anymore" and have the final confrontation for the Iron Throne be Ser Twenty of the House Goodmen vs Bad Pussies.

After what we saw today, is anyone on this thread still doubting the legitimacy of the extra's spoiler?

wait, what extra's spoiler

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lezard_valeth posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I kinda feel like they were trying to get the gently caress out of the Dorne plots as fast as possible

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Love Crime posted:

The necklace. Ugh. The necklace. Okay if the writer of the episode somehow was forced to write it because they wanted to foreshadow the glamor in the future whatever, nothing you can do about it, but why in the holy gently caress did nobody question why she decides to put it all the way across the room from her? Especially on a night in which she had to know would have a reasonable chance of someone coming to her chamber because of a slight ongoing case of A MOTHERFUCKING MUTINY.

Calling it: Davos gets the glamor to become Jon Snow so that the writers can pull a "SEE JON DID STAY DEAD?"

Or Davos is actually Davros all along and the Daleks show up.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here's the the hard and fast rule of Game of Thrones. The further South you go the worse the plot gets. It applies world wide, Bravos is in Northern Essos and Mereen is in the South.

But in the first four seasons most of the best stuff was in King's Landing...

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Cygni posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I kinda feel like they were trying to get the gently caress out of the Dorne plots as fast as possible

If they wanted to get out of Dorne they could have just never shown it again. Use the death of her daughter as a catalyst to send Cersei full-blown nuts, particularly if Jaime has to leave her alone to resolve the Riverlands stuff. There: the Dorne story last season serves a dramatic purpose, kicks the story along, and we never have to see it again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cygni posted:

I don't think it is, I think this is actually their way to escalate it.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Narmi posted:

I think it's actually Tristan's ship, crewed by Dornishmen (since Jaime and Bronn snuck into Dorne), so maybe he was smart enough not to go to a Lannister city all on his own.

I assumed that right after the kiss of death, 2 sand snakes left on their own boat to go to King's Landing. The others stayed behind to take care of Doran and Hotah (they really should have allowed him to go down killing the palace guards who just stood there, at least, but hey, the ladies like their poison).

Dorne has no problems with women rulers, so they'll install a sand snake. They'll then proclaim Doran was murdered by Lannister assassins and they'll look towards Dany for an alliance.

It is really sad that show people won't have a clue that Doran was actually really smart and cautious.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I think I solved the puzzle of the mystery ship. It goes something like this:

- It's a Dornish ship, that's why they don't use the actual harbour in KL but send a boat to some lovely pebble beach near the castle. Once they saw Jamie has safely landed, they hauled rear end back to Dorne.
- The Raven Mail arrives in Dorne, Sand Snakes kill Doran
- The ship arrives in the Dornish harbour, of which the Sand Snakes have already seized control. Tristan is informed of the events that happened and decides to pain is own (you didn't thought those were for Mycella, did you? Burial eye stones)
- The Sand Snakes kill him

At least that's what the cocaine addled mind of the producers must have though.

monster on a stick posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," say Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know Doran and Trystane, the ruler and heir of Dorne?' ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that they'd get killed by the Sand Snakes? What else are the Snakes going to do?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

You just wait for season 7 or 8 when it's no longer writer Dave Hill but producer Dave Hill.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mukaikubo posted:

wait, what extra's spoiler

Oh boy are you in for a trainwreck (possible massive spoilers) http://imgur.com/BPnVKH9

It sounds like a dumb fanfic but:

- It came a month before trailer 2
- It has just the right amount of dumbs to be considered a legit D&D plot

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Atarask posted:

Calling it: Davos gets the glamor to become Jon Snow so that the writers can pull a "SEE JON DID STAY DEAD?"

Or Davos is actually Davros all along and the Daleks show up.

A glamoured Davos play acting as Jon Snow would be just insane enough to work. Now I kind of want this.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

I think I solved the puzzle of the mystery ship. It goes something like this:

- It's a Dornish ship, that's why they don't use the actual harbour in KL but send a boat to some lovely pebble beach near the castle. Once they saw Jamie has safely landed, they hauled rear end back to Dorne.
- The Raven Mail arrives in Dorne, Sand Snakes kill Doran
- The ship arrives in the Dornish harbour, of which the Sand Snakes have already seized control. Tristan is informed of the events that happened and decides to pain is own (you didn't thought those were for Mycella, did you? Burial eye stones)
- The Sand Snakes kill him

The problem with this theory is that before the Sand Snakes kill Trystane they show a cut of the ship docked at the exact same spot where it was docked when Jaime went down on the boat, ie. King's Landing.

AND it still wouldn't address the fact that Doran and those loyal to him lost sight of two of the Sand Snakes for several days or weeks and didn't suspect something fishy is going on.

There is no savaging this sinking ship no matter how much we try.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 25, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh boy are you in for a trainwreck (possible massive spoilers) http://imgur.com/BPnVKH9

:catstare:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Sorry but the detail on scenes that are CGI (e.g. arrow through the eye) gives it away. That and the fact that this guy, who claims to be an extra, has a pretty detailed overview of the whole episode and not just the little part he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
^^^The wall of bodies seems to be true though, and that's the part that bothered me since a Wall of Bodies is not something that spontaneously comes to be, even if you have 20 good men on your side.

Subvisual Haze posted:

A glamoured Davos play acting as Jon Snow would be just insane enough to work. Now I kind of want this.

:getin:

Though I doubt D&D have the skills to pull this troll without giving it away halfway through like they did with "Bran and Rickon are dead" plot (I still haven't gotten over how they robbed us of a heartwrenching reunion with Maester Luwin. That's the only time throughout the books that I teared up.)

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 25, 2016

• Locked thread