Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DreadLlama posted:

If you take a saw primarily intended for woodcutting and put a metal cutting blade on it and then try to cut say, 1-1/2" round tubing with it, what's the worst that could happen?

Worst is the cut off blade explodes and puts your eyes out but that's nothing to do with the miter saw. I have an old Delta 10" miter saw with a 10" cut off blade and it works fine. Wood miter saws don't have the metal chute for catching hot metal flying out the back so be aware of that. Either move it outside or make sure there is nothing flammable behind it. Also, what Harmburger said, the metal cutting blade will get smaller over time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

wormil posted:

Worst is the cut off blade explodes and puts your eyes out but that's nothing to do with the miter saw. I have an old Delta 10" miter saw with a 10" cut off blade and it works fine. Wood miter saws don't have the metal chute for catching hot metal flying out the back so be aware of that. Either move it outside or make sure there is nothing flammable behind it. Also, what Harmburger said, the metal cutting blade will get smaller over time.

I'd be worried about damage to the saw / guard / housing from those flying filings

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

If there's sawdust in there from cutting wood it'll catch on fire too. I've done that before.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Thank you for the input. It wouldn't have occurred to me to clean out the sawdust but I'm certainly going to now.

Are you cutting your wood saw blade in half with your metal saw blade?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hubis posted:

I'd be worried about damage to the saw / guard / housing from those flying filings

Well you can see mine has no guard, problem solved! But seriously I had 3 miter saws at one point and liked that one the least plus the guard flew off one day while cutting trim.

DreadLlama posted:

Are you cutting your wood saw blade in half with your metal saw blade?

Yes. I was making a saw blade knife and posted it here or in the knife making thread. I'm on my phone or I would dig up the post. I'm really happy with it and use it almost every day in the kitchen.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

wormil posted:

Well you can see mine has no guard, problem solved! But seriously I had 3 miter saws at one point and liked that one the least plus the guard flew off one day while cutting trim.

Yes. I was making a saw blade knife and posted it here or in the knife making thread. I'm on my phone or I would dig up the post. I'm really happy with it and use it almost every day in the kitchen.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570191&userid=30468#post449858204

It's pretty awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Thanks! I'm in the process of making another but I'm doing some experimenting with the metal so it'll be awhile before it's done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How did you hold the old sawblade down while you were cutting through it? It's all round and sharp everywhere. :stonk:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How did you hold the old sawblade down while you were cutting through it? It's all round and sharp everywhere. :stonk:

I think I just held it down with my hand but I might have used a clamp, can't remember. I have an angle grinder now which is easier to use and cuts faster for some reason, and I can flood the saw blade while cutting to reduce heat buildup. The saw blade steel is super hard so this will be my last significant project with it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wheelbarrows are tools, right?

Got a free wheelbarrow it's pretty rusty and could use a coat of paint so I flying tigered it.
Still need another can of black to finish it up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Brilliant, never thought of doing that to a wheelbarrow.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That is awesome.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I need a motor for my old wood lathe and local sources for scrounging are turning up jack and poo poo. How stupid would I have to be to expect this eBay mystery brand motor to not electrocute me/spontaneously combust/explode?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262377496656

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Parts Kit posted:

I need a motor for my old wood lathe and local sources for scrounging are turning up jack and poo poo. How stupid would I have to be to expect this eBay mystery brand motor to not electrocute me/spontaneously combust/explode?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262377496656

Look for a treadmill from $0-100 and scavenge the motor and electronics to make your lathe variable speed. The older the treadmill the simpler the electronics.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Ended up finally finding an appropriate motor for a reasonable amount (an old craftsman lathe motor actually) very late last night so I snagged that. Might still get that mystery brand one just to play with though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anyone have a hollow‐ground screwdriver set they’re particularly happy with?

Maybe I should ask in TFR, but I don’t intend to use them on guns, specifically. I want a wide variety of sizes.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 13, 2016

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Platystemon posted:

Anyone have a hollow‐ground screwdriver set they’re particularly happy with?

Maybe I should ask in TFR, but I don’t intend to use them on guns, specifically. I want a wide variety of sizes.
They won't mind, just ask in the general questions thread and it should be answered quick. A "gunsmith" screwdriver kit would likely have what you're looking for.

Here's an example of one, haven't used it myself. Midway is a great company by the way, and so is Brownells.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952408/weaver-77-piece-multi-bit-gunsmithing-screwdriver-tool-kit

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Grace, Wiha and Wera make really good hollow grounds I've used at least once, all are great.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I didn't appreciate how great the Black Friday Milwaukee Drill/Impact/2 batteries/XC battery for $99 is until today.

I decided I'd like another drill and an XC battery (to go with the M12 vacuum) but nothing comes close to that value. That same kit but with the XC swaped with a compact is $170. Ouch. The best bet may be an M12 fuel which comes with a compact and an XC for ~$140 on ebay. That or I'm even considering just buying the batteries (2 XC for 99), which I've never done.

Heh I bought that kit for my brother in law last christmas and I remember hesitating. I full on regret it now. Ryobi would have suited him fine. He'll drill like 2 things and then put the battery back on the charger as if its a nicad in 1994. He has no idea what he has and hasn't touched the impact.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

asdf32 posted:

. . . He'll drill like 2 things and then put the battery back on the charger as if its a nicad in 1994. . .
Luckily for him, that won't ruin the batteries anymore.

Just permanently borrow it from him. If he doesn't need it he won't notice :p

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Two tools I need to pick up in the coming months as we start tackling the yard of the new house we bought.

- Leafblower
- Chainsaw

Any recommendations? It's about an acre, and well wooded. We plan to clear a lot of brush/unmaintained space thats small trees and junk, and come fall I'm certain the leaves are going to be crazy.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I've been really happy with my Echo chainsaw. It's a nice mid-tier in terms of quality. I got the 18" one.

I've never been happy with any blower I've owned.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Walked posted:

Two tools I need to pick up in the coming months as we start tackling the yard of the new house we bought.

- Leafblower
- Chainsaw

Any recommendations? It's about an acre, and well wooded. We plan to clear a lot of brush/unmaintained space thats small trees and junk, and come fall I'm certain the leaves are going to be crazy.

I dunno about deals/value but I love my Husqvarna saw and blower. Consider mulching your leaves in the fall. Looks sort of lovely for the fall and early spring, and you have to keep up with it during the fall. However, once the lawn and its inhabitants wake up in spring it disappears into free organic matter, good for the lawn.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51618-Super-Leaf-Blower/dp/B00EOLZAUQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I got the 225mph model when Amazon had a deal on it in late 2014. I don't do the entire yard with it, as I let my mower handle that, but for blowing and sucking out of areas which the mower doesn't go to it's been great.

Haven't had a use for a chainsaw as any wood I've needed to cut has been handled with a reciprocating saw and a pruning blade

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

metallicaeg posted:

Haven't had a use for a chainsaw as any wood I've needed to cut has been handled with a reciprocating saw and a pruning blade

Was just about to post this. A chainsaw is far more powerful and can do tons more in one day, but if your limb cutting work will be regularly under ~6" and spread out over the course of a year, simply charging a battery and chucking in the right blade can be loads faster and tidier than mucking about with gas and oil and primers and chokes and spark plugs.

So maybe borrow a chainsaw for your first big work day and then see what you really need after that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a Poulan 4 cycle leaf blower that numbs your hand but otherwise does the job, can't remember the brand.

My chainsaw is a Poulan 14" electric. If you can deal with a cord and use a chainsaw infrequently I recommend electric.

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 20, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
EGO is a really good choice depending on the size of your yard.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Is a 6" wilton vise too large for a home shop? Seems excessive but I figure bigger more useful than smaller.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

EGO is a really good choice depending on the size of your yard.

I've got their lawnmower and have been really happy with it. If I see the string trimmer go on sale I'm jumping on that too.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

Is a 6" wilton vise too large for a home shop? Seems excessive but I figure bigger more useful than smaller.

Bigger is always better if you have the space, but 6" should handle most tasks. I just put in a vise to do u-joints and I don't think 6" would be quite wide enough to do the job.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

6 inches is a good all-purpose size for a vise.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The monster 6" cast iron vices are much much more handy than the lightweight 3-5 inch "hobby" oriented dealies you can find all over the place. Just don't expect to relocate them without some effort.

IGotNothing
Jul 21, 2004
1 + 1 = 3 (for large values of 1)

Crazyeyes posted:

check my post a page back for a large vise. It weighs well over 100lbs and may be a bit excessive

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

metallicaeg posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51618-Super-Leaf-Blower/dp/B00EOLZAUQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I got the 225mph model when Amazon had a deal on it in late 2014. I don't do the entire yard with it, as I let my mower handle that, but for blowing and sucking out of areas which the mower doesn't go to it's been great.

I bought the $99 blower last year. It is awesome! What took 6 hours with 2 people raking took ~12 minutes to blow, and 45 minutes to vacuum and shred.

I'm using it right now to burn a cavity in a tree stump.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just wanted to post that I ended up buying a Toro zero turn riding mower.

It is a revelation.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Should change your name to mowed

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I finished putting back together my old and simple push mower last night after tearing it apart to grind and paint the badly rusted deck, and am just waiting on the new air filter to arrive on Monday. The only time I've been this excited about grass is when it's packed into a bowl

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So it's time to buy myself a birthday gift. I decided on an air compressor. The problem is that I don't know too much about them. It would be used mostly for auto work, turning lug nuts and filling tires, maybe a nail gun someday. What kind of capacity would I need? I imagine it wouldn't need to be too big for that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Always get a bigger one than you think you'll need, because it really sucks to have an air compressor and discover that you can't run some tool you later discover that would be really useful.

If you can afford the cost and the space, get one that's suitable for sandblasting. If a compressor can run a sandblaster, even intermittently, it can run basically anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pretty sure you can add another tank to the system though. Probably cost more than just getting a bigger capacity in the first place though.