Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

It's because Apple was always going to comply but required a favor in the form of PR

so you think Apple actually did comply behind the scenes? what would the benefit to the FBI be, legally? they didn't get to make the precedent they wanted.

they would get the software they wanted, though. so you're saying apple, after engineers apparently agreed to quit apple if there was a court order to make a backdoored version of iOS, actually made it anyway and handed it to the FBI secretly.

i guess it's possible, given everything else that's gone on from other companies. maybe law enforcement accused apple of supporting pedophiles as a little PR boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasureKevin posted:

so you think Apple actually did comply behind the scenes? what would the benefit to the FBI be, legally? they didn't get to make the precedent they wanted.

they would get the software they wanted, though. so you're saying apple, after engineers apparently agreed to quit apple if there was a court order to make a backdoored version of iOS, actually made it anyway and handed it to the FBI secretly.

i guess it's possible, given everything else that's gone on from other companies. maybe law enforcement accused apple of supporting pedophiles as a little PR boost.

The idea is that Apple didn't care about it but wanted to be seen as 'strong on privacy' and so the FBI wasted a bunch of time in court in order to give Tim the PR he wanted. The reality is that there was no chance they were ever going to get a precedent that lets them easily force any company to patch in security holes whenever wherever, even if it was for specific single phones. But Apple will probably do that for the feds if they just ask nicely.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

The idea is that Apple didn't care about it but wanted to be seen as 'strong on privacy' and so the FBI wasted a bunch of time in court in order to give Tim the PR he wanted. The reality is that there was no chance they were ever going to get a precedent that lets them easily force any company to patch in security holes whenever wherever, even if it was for specific single phones. But Apple will probably do that for the feds if they just ask nicely.

so exactly what I said? they secretly gave them the back door? but the FBI had to "pay" for it by Apple saying "no"? and they were called before congress to each lie in order for PR?

again, totally possible. but that's what you're saying?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nope

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 23, 2016

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i guess all you people who like music.app just like reading charts of your music and seeing recommendations? like maybe i'm doing it wrong and listening to music is kind of like reading a cd catalog from 1997

but that's okay because now we have an edge-to-edge timeline slider WHAT IN THE LIVING gently caress APPLE

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lord funk posted:

i guess all you people who like music.app just like reading charts of your music and seeing recommendations? like maybe i'm doing it wrong and listening to music is kind of like reading a cd catalog from 1997

but that's okay because now we have an edge-to-edge timeline slider WHAT IN THE LIVING gently caress APPLE

what are you even talking about

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

what are you even talking about

gettin mad at apps

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Larry Parrish posted:

this conspiracy requires more than just a handful of people on both ends to pull off and as such i'm gonna file under :tinfoil:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
anyways i've been on iOS since the 4s and still all i loving want is the ability to set an alarm to auto-download & play a podcast why can't i do this, tim. what the gently caress

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

couldn't you use workflow or some other automation app to do that

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Necc0 posted:

anyways i've been on iOS since the 4s and still all i loving want is the ability to set an alarm to auto-download & play a podcast why can't i do this, tim. what the gently caress
TuneIn Radio lets you do this, I think.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Linguica posted:

TuneIn Radio lets you do this, I think.

it does but it looks like i have to leave the app open when I go to sleep and gently caress that.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
even Elton John would call thc a bit of a fag

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what's the best Twitter app for iOS

would be cool if it didn't show ads every 3 things like the first party one

bless

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what's the best Twitter app for iOS

tweetbot

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
Answer would totally be TweetDeck in Safari if it didn't autoplay WebM's.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

graph posted:

tweetbot

is there a way to turn off the stupid sound effects other than having my volume off? and a way to see replies to someone else's tweet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DuckConference posted:

is there a way to turn off the stupid sound effects other than having my volume off? and a way to see replies to someone else's tweet?
turning the "Sounds" option to off would turn off sounds, i imagine.

swipe to the left to see replies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tweetbot doesn't show when someone you follow replied to a tweet in your main feed, which is a good feature of the Twitter client.

did they fix the showing of linked articles and quoted tweets in the new version? I didn't feel like paying money to find out.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

turning the "Sounds" option to off would turn off sounds, i imagine.

swipe to the left to see replies

ah, to get to the settings I have to press my avatar, then the gear icon

I had been pressing the outline of a face, and then the gear icon, which only gives you an "open in favstar" option. I also tried the iOS settings apps, which presents a third, orthogonal set of options

literally more control panels than Windows 10

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I installed twitteriffic and it's only $3 to block ads vs $10 so it's obviously 3 times better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple watch: well sure, but what does it do?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

gizmodo.com/my-god-awful-year-with-the-apple-watch-1772724490"

warning, gizmodo link

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

broken clock

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i still can't believe that loving watch

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

this person is an actual idiot

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

but they're a gizmodo writer so we knew that already

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Still butt hurt about being called out for buying stolen property, I don't think they'll ever let it go.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

uncurable mlady posted:

this person is an actual idiot

uncurable mlady posted:

but they're a gizmodo writer so we knew that already

Mulva posted:

Still butt hurt about being called out for buying stolen property, I don't think they'll ever let it go.

*inspects posts* Hmm, I think I'll be the shag carpet, or the coffee maker? Ah, oh, no! I'll be the hosed up fail aids addled weirdos dutifully white knighting the known-P.O.S. Apple Watch in YOSPOS.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

*inspects posts* Hmm, I think I'll be the shag carpet, or the coffee maker? Ah, oh, no! I'll be the hosed up fail aids addled weirdos dutifully white knighting the known-P.O.S. Apple Watch in YOSPOS.
sticking up for gizmodo smythe? is that really a place you want to go?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

FMguru posted:

sticking up for gizmodo smythe? is that really a place you want to go?

NOt really concerned about gizmodo or whatveer, i dont read tech web sites. im only concerned about the quality of posting in this forum

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

apple iwatch useless. water wet. news @ 11.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Smythe posted:

NOt really concerned about gizmodo or whatveer, i dont read tech web sites. im only concerned about the quality of posting in this forum

don't worry its still poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

apple iwatch useless. water wet. news @ 11.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

b-b-b-but cremnob said it was going to destroy the luxury watch market.

and it was like the ipad, we just didn't get it.

are you saying that's not the case?

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
lmao at people that still wear watches in tyool 2016

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
posting the night before apple earnings report where company implodes on itself

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

zen death robot posted:

cremnob retarded, water wet

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

don't worry its still poo poo