Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anime subtitles seem to usually/mostly be translations, not localizations. so i think things like the script changing ramen to burgers is dumb. at least with pun names you have the precedent of subs localizing idioms or jokes. personally i'd prefer the name being noted and then treated as normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well for AA there's the option for that or to have the proper western subtitles with the names we deserve. Nothing against wanting to see Maya gush about miso ramen but when i hear about ramen i like to know that she's talking about burgers from beautiful L.A.

But that's the most unique scenario there can ever be.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

multijoe posted:

I've just started JoJolion and these Higashikata kids are hosed up I tell you what

they behave exactly how I would imagine Old Money Rich Kids who basically own the town they live in would act.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hayato is extremely cool, please do not insult her

Daiya is also very cool

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Hayato is extremely cool, please do not insult her

Daiya is also very cool

I was re-reading that part the other day and actually I laughed at Joshuu's response. God I'm loving broken, Joshuu deserves zero laughs but he still gets them from me sometimes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
the only bad higashikata is the little kid because little kids suck

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so, i'm guessing joshuu's pretty much dead now right? if he solidifies in the pipes after damo dies he's gonna have all his internal organs crushed

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Best case scenario for him is that he ends up in the sewers and then reforms there after being carried away far enough.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Is Kyo dead though? She seems pretty well liquid. Or are the victims of Damo's stand perfectly find no matter how soft they get as long as there's no actual "damage" to their body?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

multijoe posted:

I've just started JoJolion and these Higashikata kids are hosed up I tell you what

They're fiiiiiine, just a little eccentric.

Except Joshuu, he's a piece of poo poo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joshuu needs to survive to accidentally play a key part in defeating the Big Bad. Also to treat Gappy to dinner like he promised.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

RaspberryCommie posted:

Is Kyo dead though? She seems pretty well liquid. Or are the victims of Damo's stand perfectly find no matter how soft they get as long as there's no actual "damage" to their body?

i think you're fine as long as you aren't hurt or something. like if gappy wins he's not gonna be deformed, his arm will go back to normal

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Joushuu is a poo poo and I am glad he gets poo poo on

Tsurugi is a poo poo because he's a goddamned little creeper

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I'm rereading DiU and I got to the part were Rohan straight up damns a stand to hell.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Condiv posted:

i think you're fine as long as you aren't hurt or something. like if gappy wins he's not gonna be deformed, his arm will go back to normal

Yeah I think so. Meanwhile Norisuke's actually injured so unless something/someone (Joshuu?) can heal him, he's gonna be down an arm.

This person's timeline has a few other images too but I guess they were looking on ebay and found some production boards from a pt 2 movie in 1994 that was never made??? Is that right?

https://twitter.com/LadyBloof/status/724122510485295104

https://twitter.com/LadyBloof/status/724123946510094336

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will somehow love my life knowing that APPP never got their hands on Part 2

Woulda looked really pretty tho

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

grancheater posted:

I'm rereading DiU and I got to the part were Rohan straight up damns a stand to hell.

Cheap Trick is a monstrous parasitical blight and it was that or Rohan dies for real and then everyone else eventually dies because there was basically no other way to deal with it. Aside from, I dunno, Josuke punching through someone again but who knows if that would even work or would just be another way to trigger Cheap Trick's cycle of death.

Also it was a cool way of showing what happens to Kira eventually in case you forgot the hands were there, since it'd been a while.

I was thinking about Cheap Trick a few days ago, and realised that while it's power is kind of ridiculous and awful, like most Stands it'd have been devastatingly lethal in the hands of someone who was willing to actually use it to its full potential. Someone saddled with Cheap Trick that decided to use him like a suicide bomber would've been insane and probably very effective.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 25, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm a previous anime only JoJo dude who gave in because I needed my Jojos man. I was reading part 7 to avoid spoilers but a friend kind of spoiled me on part 6's ending so I just went gently caress it and started reading from part 5. Just started it today and I have to say...it's the most fabulous part by far. I love the boy band version of gang wars, it's loving glorious :allears: and I surprisingly like Giorno a fair bit, in spite of my friends all warning me that he was the worst JoJo. He might actually me one of my favorite Jojos so far, I like that he randomly does something vaguely cool and everybody is like "I WANT TO WORSHIP THIS MAN" because it feels like a nice way of showing him as "if Dio was less into vampires and more into boy band gang wars" and stuff.

I'm not super clear on why Jotaro went "Oh, is Dio's son a stand user? Okay cool" and called it a day but I'm enjoying turtle that turns into a hotel because of a stand too much to care. This part is awesome :allears: This part feels like the most bizarre out of them all so far and I love it.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I will never understand the kind of people that look at reading the original material as spoilers.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Lynx Winters posted:

I will never understand the kind of people that look at reading the original material as spoilers.

I liked being surprised at random stupid poo poo while good music played in the background, so I tried avoiding the manga for a while. Gave up on that though, think this isn't really a series that can be spoiled by plot revelations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lynx Winters posted:

I think a lot of the time it's so that they can go in to new episodes of the anime with friends and be experiencing it the same way as their anime-only friends. My friends all watch the show together as a group, and I'm the only one who knows poo poo about future jojos.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hopeford posted:

and I surprisingly like Giorno a fair bit, in spite of my friends all warning me that he was the worst JoJo.

You're probably reading the newer good translations, whereas they read the older bad ones that sucked all the personality out of everyone.

I don't think the good translations are done yet, so if you keep reading you'll eventually reach a point where things stop making sense because the previous translators were just making poo poo up

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Captain Tenille becoming Captain Dragon was probably the best name swap.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
All the stand name changes SUCK except for Worse Company and Maiden Heaven

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

no they will not posted:

Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price..

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Just finished rereading DiU and while DavidPro probably won't do it they can have a lot of freedom rearranging some battles. All of the fights after AHF have some really simple continuity (I can only think of RPS Kid/Cheap Trick, I Am an Alien/Superfly, Highway Star/Enigma and Stray Cat/That's Not My Dad). They could also slot Let's Go Out For Italian/I Found Something Dangerous/Let's Go Hunting anywhere.

DiU is still great and I'm glad I finally got around to reading the good translation of the last volume, since it was the only Duwang left during my first read.

no they will not posted:

FA3RP

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I really didn't like Worse Company because I felt as if they could have done something funnier.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Maiden Heaven is a real good name, nice job Namco.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cabinet posted:

I really didn't like Worse Company because I felt as if they could have done something funnier.

Something Awful Forums.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Dias posted:

Something Awful Forums.

We are the worst company

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hopeford posted:

I'm not super clear on why Jotaro went "Oh, is Dio's son a stand user? Okay cool" and called it a day but I'm enjoying turtle that turns into a hotel because of a stand too much to care. This part is awesome :allears: This part feels like the most bizarre out of them all so far and I love it.

I don't know how well established this is but I think Jotaro felt sorry for Giorno. "I killed his father" is an oddly sympathetic line, and we see in the next part he feels bad about neglecting his own child. Plus he sent Koichi to investigate, and he's a pretty tough dude in his own right.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

no they will not posted:

Dan of Steel, yo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

koichi also lets him know that giorno seems to be a cool guy, so i guess jotaro doesn't care that much as long as he's not evil or some poo poo

going to morioh to talk to josuke is one thing. going to italy to talk to the son of your family's nemesis who took over the body of your progenitor and was technically like 100 years old is something else entirely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Polnareff probably sent him a memo about it later on anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Polnareff probably sent him a memo about it later on anyway.

"So there's no bathroom in here. Yeah, yeah, laugh it up."

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

tiistai posted:

It's actually a meme phrase in Finnish associated with those mspaint Donald Duck pics and my headcanon has always been that some Finn translated it straight to English, thought it was funny and edited it onto that panel because why not it fits

Thank you for this explanation, my curiosity is satisfied.

Johnny Joestar posted:

going to morioh to talk to josuke is one thing. going to italy to talk to the son of your family's nemesis who took over the body of your progenitor and was technically like 100 years old is something else entirely.

at which time I imagine giorno would say "that's bullshit, but I believe it"

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Kaasen posted:

at which time I imagine giorno would say "that's bullshit, but I believe it"

Sadly I sincerely thought that was something he would say, little did i realise it was an edited panel :saddowns:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I just finished SBR. What a fantastic part. I'm sad that I'm almost out of Jojo to read.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Maiden Heaven is a real good name, nice job Namco.

It's an Iron Maiden album as well, so it's like jumping from the frying pan and into a place that's really hot but no one seems to have realised it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

I just finished SBR. What a fantastic part. I'm sad that I'm almost out of Jojo to read.

don't worry, you'll always get more if you wait a month after Amazing Cliffhanger #562

the real Jojo starts now :negative:

EDIT: Amazing Cliffhanger sounds like an incredibly niche marvel title