Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eej posted:

Bakugou is a shitlord and the only disconcerting thing is how incredibly nice Deku is towards him even after all that lovely bullying he went through.

Not saying it's healthy of him, but Deku looks up to Bakugou, and that's a difficult thing for him to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eej posted:

Bakugou is a shitlord and the only disconcerting thing is how incredibly nice Deku is towards him even after all that lovely bullying he went through.

I dunno. Bakugou got so mad he almost tried to murder him that one time, so that's also pretty disconcerting.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah that too. It's really weird how Horikoshi goes out of his way to imply that his behaviour is "okay" or forgivable on some level.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

On one hand, he has improved considerably since he's able to recognize that other people have useful skills and whatnot. On the other hand, even in an event that's grown more prominent than the Olympics, he can't be assed to behave. He's been given a ton of leeway, probably in hopes that he'll recognize that his goal of being #1 Hero has the word hero at the end of it. Then again, Endeavor is also a prominent hero though he's at least clever enough to not make his rear end in a top hat side obvious for the world.

Still, even if Bakugou does become a virtuous hero that everyone can be proud of and like, it doesn't exactly absolve him of the poo poo he's pulled.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I kind of don't want him to?

Like I want him to grow as a character and maybe actually have friends but I don't want him to lose that core of being a rude-rear end piece of poo poo with fantastic facial expressions

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Jesus could forgive Bakugou, why can't you?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Jesus could probably also make a pretty nice cupboard.

I cannot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want bakugou to remain recognizably kind of a prick but also to actually do something about the fact that he was downright abusive towards deku for years and years

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
although at this point we'll be doing pretty good if bakugou is recognizable period when we see him again :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Before AFO showed up, I thought it was that muck guy that attacked Bakugou in the intro showing up again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would like it if Bakugo chilled the gently caress out. He doesn't need to be a doormat or even not be a hothead, but he needs to be less of a dick to people who are his allies. The scenes where's a motherfucker to villains though are good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's gotten humbled repeatedly and now something hideously awful is guaranteed to happen to him so I have this feeling it'll turn out even in the end.

I was hoping he'd get his quirk stolen and get dumped somewhere like trash but chekov's gun only tends to fire once and Ragdoll had her quirk stolen.

Bakugou is about as hosed as you can get for a shounen/fiction character. Kidnapped, they failed rescuing him twice (we've already had a rescue arc, meaning we're likely not gonna have another), him switching sides is precluded already (he flat out made his feelings known here), and all of the other options are way not good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Bakugou's gotten humbled repeatedly and now something hideously awful is guaranteed to happen to him so I have this feeling it'll turn out even in the end.

I was hoping he'd get his quirk stolen and get dumped somewhere like trash but chekov's gun only tends to fire once and Ragdoll had her quirk stolen.

Bakugou is about as hosed as you can get for a shounen/fiction character. Kidnapped, they failed rescuing him twice (we've already had a rescue arc, meaning we're likely not gonna have another), him switching sides is precluded already (he flat out made his feelings known here), and all of the other options are way not good.

Maybe he'll become a representative for Noumu rights? :unsmigghh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe he'll become a representative for Noumu rights? :unsmigghh:
We'll have to see if Horikoshi is a Kurt Vonnegut fan.

"Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of."

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

him switching sides is precluded already (he flat out made his feelings known here)

On the other hand his feelings were 'I'm going to be a hero because All Might is badass and always wins.'

In some ways Bakugou is as much All Might's creation as Deku is. He gave Deku the power and Bakugou the desire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

He's not going to switch sides. Bakugou's mind doesn't work like that. He doesn't revise his goals midway through meeting them, he's just constantly pissed off at everyone for not making those goals challenging enough.

If All Might fails again, that'll just make him even more zealous to crush the villains himself because he'll see it as an opportunity to surpass the man.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

He's not going to switch sides. Bakugou's mind doesn't work like that. He doesn't revise his goals midway through meeting them, he's just constantly pissed off at everyone for not making those goals challenging enough.

If All Might fails again, that'll just make him even more zealous to crush the villains himself because he'll see it as an opportunity to surpass the man.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. :v:

And with switching sides and rescue being out, welp. :rip:

edit since I've made enough new posts-

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The fact that Horikoshi already wrote the outline of a story about a quirkless boy becoming the number one hero makes me fear for Bakugou's quirk.
Well, there's two more things that don't bode well for him if I want to be even more pedantic about trying to spot unintentional foreshadowing in his writing:

1. Him being gone leaves a convenient 20th slot in 1-A for a certain character we saw again an arc or two ago.

2. Bakugou never picked his hero name.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 25, 2016

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The fact that Horikoshi already wrote the outline of a story about a quirkless boy becoming the number one hero makes me fear for Bakugou's quirk. It also gives me hope that this isn't the end for him, though.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Bakugou to me is like Vegeta in that there's nothing stopping him from being a rude rear end in a top hat all the time and in a way that's kinda cool? I agree he should eventually own up to the poo poo he's pulled though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know. I think All Might failing would be a big blow to him, the same way Deku getting a quirk or acting vaguely heroic was. It goes against the world view he's decided for himself.

Though this whole thing is a bit different than All Might straight losing anyway. I bet Bakugou would read the situation as the villains running away because they knew All Might would crush them.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bakugou has done nothing wrong and is perfect in every way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I kind of want to see him interact with his family just to learn if he's the same howling shithead to them as he is to the rest of the human race.

So far all we've seen of them in the present day is his mom telling him to stop scouring his gums bloody with his toothbrush.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

They're still in the middle of rescue attempt 2. All For One has almost certainly made the mistake of simply moving the Nomus to the bar and Bakugou and the villain crew to the Nomu warehouse. The pro heroes have just been knocked down and team disguise is there at the scene. Iida and Momo may talk about turning this car around if the kids act up, but there's no way they sit idly by and let Bakugou get messed up by team bad guys. Also while Deku has been warned for the millionth time that he's wrecking his body, for serious this time, he's the new bearer of One For All and thus the newest ultimate nemesis for All for One. They've got to at least have a chat where they promise to destroy each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All for one simply cannot be aware of Deku's existence until Deku is ready for him. Hiding is no longer an option thanks to Ragdoll's quirk. So, any time he even considered killing Deku he could teleport right up to him and do so effortlessly, or maybe just send a bunch of villains after him.

Thankfully, Deku is currently in a group so he won't necessarily be singled out if they get a chance to rescue Bakugou.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

They're still in the middle of rescue attempt 2. All For One has almost certainly made the mistake of simply moving the Nomus to the bar and Bakugou and the villain crew to the Nomu warehouse. The pro heroes have just been knocked down and team disguise is there at the scene. Iida and Momo may talk about turning this car around if the kids act up, but there's no way they sit idly by and let Bakugou get messed up by team bad guys. Also while Deku has been warned for the millionth time that he's wrecking his body, for serious this time, he's the new bearer of One For All and thus the newest ultimate nemesis for All for One. They've got to at least have a chat where they promise to destroy each other.
I never thought that he might have juggled the crews- swapping the noumus for the bar crew. That would certainly work as a setup for everyone to finally fight the strikeforce leftovers without interference. If Shigaraki doesn't get swapped with them, it becomes a straight up 5 vs 5 matchup since Dabi was KO'd. That would certainly be a real setup- I dunno why AFO would be like "gently caress the strike force" and leave them there considering he wants Shigaraki to lead them but I suppose something has to happen for the kids to break that oath not to interfere directly.

I figured he had teleported the bar crew away to his super super secret base when he showed up after wrecking everyone at the Noumu storage facility.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 25, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

By all accounts Bakugou is the only friend Deku had prior to getting to UA. Does that really reflect poorly on Bakugou?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
By all accounts that makes Deku an abuse victim because his "friend" is also the person who isolates him and leads the bullying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, there's a big difference between saying someone is a friend/them saying they're your friend and them actually treating you in a friendly manner.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Fabricated posted:

1. Him being gone leaves a convenient 20th slot in 1-A for a certain character we saw again an arc or two ago.

I'm afraid I don't follow #1 - my memory is terrible, though.

#2: If anyone here reads Order of the Stick, we know he could just be saving it for a dramatic life-saving reveal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We saw Aizawa talking with Shinsou (mind-control kid from the festival) not too long ago. It'd be neat if he managed to make it into Class A.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

He wants the hero name All Might.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
He wants to be called All Mightier because he wants to be better than All Might.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have to wonder what it would take for Deku to actually dislike someone. (Someone he interacts with I mean. Villains he punches don't count.)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

There is almost certainly some reason that Bakugo's personality is the way it is, people generally aren't abusive without reason.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NecroMonster posted:

There is almost certainly some reason that Bakugo's personality is the way it is, people generally aren't abusive without reason.

We've already seen it. Dude was born a prodigy, people heaped praise upon him, and unsurprisingly without anyone to hold him back he ended up with a gigantic ego that makes him think he's better than everyone else ever. It isn't very surprising that someone like that would be abusive, after all, he's doing it, and he's always right because he's the best.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

Yeah, though it's also something of a myth that people who bully come from broken homes or abusive parents. There's lots of positive reinforcement for being a fucker from peers, sometimes from adults and media, especially if you can actually walk the walk when you talk the talk like Bakugou can.

Also Bakugou is perfect in every way. Well, as perfect as someone without a giant, meaty tail can be.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For anyone curious what the official release looks like, though it's still a mess of black.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Allarion posted:

For anyone curious what the official release looks like, though it's still a mess of black.

Super glad they almost completely destroyed this cool effect

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Always assume scans are smudgier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I never thought that he might have juggled the crews- swapping the noumus for the bar crew. That would certainly work as a setup for everyone to finally fight the strikeforce leftovers without interference. If Shigaraki doesn't get swapped with them, it becomes a straight up 5 vs 5 matchup since Dabi was KO'd. That would certainly be a real setup- I dunno why AFO would be like "gently caress the strike force" and leave them there considering he wants Shigaraki to lead them but I suppose something has to happen for the kids to break that oath not to interfere directly.

I figured he had teleported the bar crew away to his super super secret base when he showed up after wrecking everyone at the Noumu storage facility.

There is only a chance 14a brought Bakugou to him instead of some secret base so that the yuuei group would be able to save him. It is probably Bakugou's last chance, even. Otherwise he is totally prime noumu material. I'm sure All Might could get there very quickly, but who is gonna tell him that he should? The telepath wild cat isn't present, is she?