Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Hoo boy.

I don't know if this meme was intended to be satirical, but the repost from my great-aunt certainly wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

oneforthevine posted:

Hoo boy.

I don't know if this meme was intended to be satirical, but the repost from my great-aunt certainly wasn't.

Did you point out that Hamilton and Franklin were never president?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wall Street is one million people and comprises all the major cities in the state.

But see Obama only had 900 delegates by February 5th when New York voted in 2008 and he went on to win anyway, so Sanders his doing even better with 1,200 delegates on April 19th, victory is assured now!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 25, 2016

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Tarezax posted:

Someone else pointed out Franklin before I got there. Figured I'd leave it be.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

VitalSigns posted:

Wall Street is one million people and comprises all the major cities in the state.

But see Obama only had 900 delegates by February 5th when New York voted in 2008 and he went on to win anyway, so Sanders his doing even better with 1,200 delegates on April 19th, victory is assured now!

It's always sad to watch large public projects like an election campaign slide towards failure, but staffers trying to put a brave face on things in order to keep up morale of the base seems pretty reasonable to me.

Just fuckin lol at the square-footage versus population argument. Living in Oregon outside of Portland I hear this kind of poo poo all the time. Guess what guys, when majority rules and the majority of your state all lives in one loving city, what the people in that city want for their state is what the rest of us get. Also you can still be all kinds of racist everywhere because I don't think I've ever encountered a place that was more unsettlingly white than western inland Oregon, though your preemptive indignation over the idea that someone might disapprove of that is no doubt more charming than what it will eventually escalate to.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it's so fuckin weird. Every four years I have to see Republicans hold up those county results maps "look at all the land we won yet Obama is still president, clearly he is cheating and we need to fix it" and now there's this explosion of Sanders support on my wall making the same argument and accidentally implying that voting power should be proportional to land ownership.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Facebook is filling up with threats that Cruz and the other non Trump GOP guy are forming a 'coalition' to take down Trump. This week should have fun politics, make me forget the lovely Sand Snakes.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Tarezax posted:

Yeah man but they were presidential (if you know what I mean).

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Soldier Who Said He’d Fight War So ‘Son Wouldn’t Have To’ Feels Like An rear end in a top hat Right Now

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Gustav posted:

Something about their appearance says "I'm the type of person who should be in charge"...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I ran into this guy in the wild shittalking NDT randomly. Asked him "why?"

quote:

Because he's an astrophysicist who goes around talking like he's an authority on spirituality, philosophy, biology and numerous other subjects. He's well educated and eloquent, but his hubris comes through a lot when he goes around making absolutist declarations well outside his own expertise. He supports a lot of shaky concepts because they are 'in' with the High Priests of Academia as I call them, because he identifies with the intelligentsia. Excessive faith in science is epistemologically unsound anyway, and is known is scientism- but even in the context of the scientific method, he often espouses things as fact that are theoretically unsound, much less established realities.

-Do you have a specific example?

quote:

I do, but quite honestly I don't feel like going in to detail much further than this because I'm done debating this subject online: Evolution. I am not a creationist- let's establish that. But there are NUMEROUS problems with macro-evolution, something Darwin himself never even claimed to be true. Tyson has never once addressed the issue with lipid production in the move from single cell to complex, and like most of his peers just scoffs at it because it doesn't sit well with their worldview- as in it undermines the whole notion.

The secular and the spiritual alike feel some need to assign an origin story to humanity, despite the fact there is literally no way to verify any of it except against charts and figures developed over a stretch of time incomparable to the ones we attribute to these processes. Personally- I think it's asinine and childish to be so definitive about something that no one was there for and can never be really verified.

There are others, but this one bothers me because he could come out and be objective, "This seems to make sense....Based on our observations...." but his wording is chock full of "We know......the fact is....." I don't expect that out of everyone, but because people hang on his every word like some scientific shaman and he's smart enough to know the difference in his phrasings, I will hold him accountable.

-Shine on you crazy religious diamond

quote:

You obviously did not even take the time to read what I said.

I literally said, "I am not a creationist."

This is why I never debate this with people online.

quote:

It's astounding to me, even after all this time, that people refuse to accept that you just don't believe in either creationism or evolution. Their minds refuse it as even a possible outlook, so they just assign one to you, usually the opposite of their own so they can further marginalize your viewpoint.

I've never seen one of these... people... before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nevvy Z posted:

I ran into this guy in the wild shittalking NDT randomly. Asked him "why?"
They should have just gone with this one.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Clearly it must be worth it or that species would have died out. :science:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Guavanaut posted:

Except didn't they later discover that the female eating the male was caused by the stress of observation and captivity?

EDIT: Yep http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis1.asp

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 25, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hermetic posted:

Except didn't they later discover that the female eating the male was caused by the stress of observation and captivity?
Perhaps traumatic insemination, the arms race of duck rape, or the suicide of male orb-weaver spiders would be better examples.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mantis sex probably feels good, it's the after party that you gotta watch out for.

I should know, I'm a mantis.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vargatron posted:

Mantis sex probably feels good, it's the after party that you gotta watch out for.

I should know, I'm a mantis.

Mantis always swooping in for the scraps.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My girlfriends sister just posted that she's boycotting Target because of their transgender bathroom policy. We live in Colorado...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Grem posted:

My girlfriends sister just posted that she's boycotting Target because of their transgender bathroom policy. We live in Colorado...

You gotta watch out for those crossdressing potheads who try and go into the women's bathroom to toke up.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

I've never seen one of these... people... before.

This person is using a lot of the rhetoric of creationism (like "you weren't there") but they remind me of someone I knew in first year undergrad who proudly proclaimed in biology class she didn't believe in evolution, not because she was religious but because she was a smug first year university student who was trying to be edgy.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Eh, NDT has said some dumb stuff when he speaks outside his specific areas of expertise. I remember seeing a talk from him about the importance of NASA where he mentioned that exploration has never been done in history by private organizations, and there were some comments he made about lack of Islamic scientific development some time back; I think it might have been the "number of Nobel prizes" thing, but I might be mixing it up with someone else. And he's made some dumb tweets around the level of that one before too.

That's not really any impugnment against his work in general, though and using it as a reason to attack him like that person on Facebook is silly; it's a common pitfall for a lot of people. Look at Watson and Crick, or Linus Pauling. Or heck, Richard Dawkins if you want an extreme example of someone thinking being an expert in one field = being an expert in others by default. NDT certainly does it a lot less than a lot of people might in his position, and most of the time when he does do it, it's a pretty benign comment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, I'm getting pretty embarrassed to support Bernie these days:

http://sourceplanet.net/politics/diebold-voting-machines-fraud-explained/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/scytl.asp

Pretty much a 2012 anti-Obama conspiracy theory with the name changed to Hillary.

Also, by pointing this out, I'm clearly HillBot, paid to troll.

I wish I'd known earlier that I can get paid to do this. Someone tell me who to email to get my SorosBux™

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Idran posted:

Eh, NDT has said some dumb stuff when he speaks outside his specific areas of expertise. I remember seeing a talk from him about the importance of NASA where he mentioned that exploration has never been done in history by private organizations, and there were some comments he made about lack of Islamic scientific development some time back; I think it might have been the "number of Nobel prizes" thing, but I might be mixing it up with someone else. And he's made some dumb tweets around the level of that one before too.

That's not really any impugnment against his work in general, though and using it as a reason to attack him like that person on Facebook is silly; it's a common pitfall for a lot of people. Look at Watson and Crick, or Linus Pauling. Or heck, Richard Dawkins if you want an extreme example of someone thinking being an expert in one field = being an expert in others by default. NDT certainly does it a lot less than a lot of people might in his position, and most of the time when he does do it, it's a pretty benign comment.

NDT did a speech about one Islamic cleric and made the case that this guy did a bunch of harm to parts of greater middle eastern society by advocating arch-conservative views that were anti-science. From what i understand NDT may have been wrong in this, but i honestly don't give a poo poo to go fact check this in detail beyond taking what he said with a big grain of salt.

His point was to use it as a case for opposing global warming deniers and anti-evolution people. he specifically goes on about Baghdad being a center of learning so there was no racial component to it, it was strictly anti-religious.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

You gotta watch out for those crossdressing potheads who try and go into the women's bathroom to toke up.

RapeNation go green.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I wonder why "George Sorros" is always in quotation marks.

I couldn't help but see this on that site as well.

http://sourceplanet.net/politics/hillary-trolls-take-it-to-next-level-with-phone-bank-trolling/

"Someone is saying Hillary has more votes and delegates? Clearly they are being paid to post that!"

20 bucks an hour? poo poo, where do I sign up? I'll post any pro-Hillary stuff they want for that kind of money.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oneforthevine posted:

Hoo boy.

"Christians for Michelle Bachman" is one of the best satirical conservative meme creators out there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Since bathrooms are the flavor of the month, from a coworker:

No, that makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Bonus, another coworker comes in to state the obvious:

quote:

Cool coworker: So...is this anti LGBT and transgender? Have you finally gone that far?

Right wing coworker: Anti-nothing, just pro- reality and comin sense

And this:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Turn left, Tim! Nooooooooooooooooooooo

https://twitter.com/TimRobbins1/status/724618825824608258

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
We're gonna hear this stuff forever huh?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Polls are never wrong, ask our 33rd President Thomas Dewey who triumphantly held up a newspaper about how he defeated Truman.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

We're gonna hear this stuff forever huh?
Nah, just until 90% of people either accept it or don't care and the assholes find the next thing to get outraged about.

Wait, were you referring to the anti-trans 'I identify as' thing or the 'stolen election' thing. I guess it works for either.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

seiferguy posted:

Bonus, another coworker comes in to state the obvious:

And this:

Maybe your co-worker should learn how to spell "common" before delving into gender identity.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

[quote="seiferguy" post=""459142741"]

[/quote]

You leave Mr. Shakes out of this. :mad:

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013
Usual dumb poo poo here:

But I noticed the word "drat" is in a different font. So I found the original:

That's right. They were offended by the use of the word "loving," so they changed it to the much safer "drat."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gustav posted:

Not gonna lie, President Franklin would be hilarious (and cut into his busy milf banging schedule).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

CowHammer posted:

Usual dumb poo poo here:

But I noticed the word "drat" is in a different font. So I found the original:

That's right. They were offended by the use of the word "loving," so they changed it to the much safer "drat."

I love these. It's like people just plugged their ears and went "LALALALALALA" during that whole inconvenient Iraq/Afghanistan thing that's STILL GOING ON that our generation has had to fight. I've also had people really twist themselves into pretzels trying to explain why troops today don't count like troops at D-Day by basically saying that because they were drafted they were real men. They backpedaled pretty hard when asked if they were implying we should re-instate the draft. Just throw them a picture of some 40's greaser like "while ARE TROOPS were fighting UBL, their generation were at home tending to their pompadours."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm curious to what the source of the drift is?

Is it because Bernie supporters are more likely to respond to an exit poll?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Young voters are.

And they overwhelmingly vote Bernie.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

Wait...it's ok for a Canadian goose to crap in the aisles at Target? What an odd policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

you don't sample every poll location, and you're more likely to sample poll locations that have a higher volume of voters, thus are in denser areas, thus tend a little younger and more liberal

another problem is that people lie about who they voted for - closet clinton voters might say they voted for bernie