Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well that all sounds horrifyingly plausible :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Edit: Derp, nevermind me, I just saw it

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SynthOrange posted:

Amazing Jimmy just hosed the entire world.

It's more like a mercy killing for all the people who are too good for a world filled with assholes.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Especially when you look at panel 5 and see what looks like the tip of a possum tail poking out of the chair.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SynthOrange posted:

Amazing Jimmy just hosed the entire world.

lmao forever

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh lord, and there's another child opossum in the room too. Bad times for everybody.

Speaking of things children shouldn't be doing, in Gastrophobia, Gastro's learning some new things. Weird, I thought they only did that with bulls.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
No comment other than "there is not an opossum child in there."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You mean they chopped the limbs off a full-grown opossum to fit them in there? This is getting dark.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Morbi posted:

Multiple opossum children

e: A single adult pygmy opossum

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Morbi posted:

It's the male smuggler opossum, isn't it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morbi posted:

Not since the accident.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
We're supposed to meet Henrod at some point, aren't we? :v:

e: So after hearing incidental pieces of the story for the past nearly 2 years from reading this thread, I finally decided to binge-read all of Demon. I'm not... entirely sure what to think

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 24, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good time since it ended today.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of things children shouldn't be doing, in Gastrophobia, Gastro's learning some new things. Weird, I thought they only did that with bulls.

Zeus has taken many shapes, though I can't find one where he took the shape of a horse. He's notably been a satyr (Antiope), a pigeon (Phthia), a swan (Leda), an eagle (Ganymedes), a bull (Europe), the goddess Artemis (Kallisto), an ant (Eurymedousa), and a golden rain shower (Danae).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cat Mattress posted:

golden shower

Hur hur hur

Although knowing the Ancient Greeks that's probably exactly what it's supposed to be.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Hur hur hur

Although knowing the Ancient Greeks that's probably exactly what it's supposed to be.

:siren: Incredibly NSFW :siren:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Jason Shiga posted:

That’s all folks! Hard to believe it was just over 2 years ago that we started our journey together. But here we are at the end. I guess I knew going in that 720 pages would be a push but I really had no idea. Too many times, I wanted to call it quits and run away screaming. I probably would have too if it weren’t for the continual encouragement from my friends, family and most of all YOOOUUUU. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I couldn’t have done it without you guys. Right now I feel Demon’s got the most supportive, smartest audience on the entire internet. You taught me to never underestimate my readers’ intelligence and gave me the courage to reach for some of the nervyest ideas of my career.

Everyone told me it was insane to spend half a decade of my life on this project only to give it away online for free when I could just go with a traditional publisher. The analogy I always hear is that I wouldn’t go volunteer to work at Wallmart for five years for free. But I guess I don’t see it that way. The webcomics and blogs I’ve read have given me so much I feel it’s the least I could do to give a little something back. Thanks to YOU, my readers building a fan base for me, tweeting, promoting the comic and even generously giving direct financial support, it’s worked out for me beyond my expectations. But even more importantly, I’m hoping Demon will be seen as a worthy addition to the great heap of pop culture, to be enjoyed for generations and maybe even inspire someone else to make their own comic one day.

More on that in a sec. But first some business. If you’re wondering what will happen to this website, I’m planning to leave the entirety of Demon up for a couple more months. When the collected volumes start to come out from First Second, I’m removing everything but the first chapter. So if you want to read the webcomic one last time, do it before July. After that it’s gone, but only in webcomic form. If you want a permanent way to relive some highlights of Demon such as Jimmy being born or Sweetpea kidnapping a boy band and forcing them to perform at gunpoint, I have exciting news for you. You can now preorder Demon on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Demon-1-Jason-Shiga/dp/1626724520)!!! I’ve been working on this book for a year and it’s a gorgeous 2-color printing. We set out to try and replicate the aesthetic of old 2 tone manga from the 30’s and it’s succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. As for shigabooks.com, I’m planning to keep the blog section of this site going. Even though there won’t be new pages of Demon, feel free to come back here for news about future projects, behind the scenes trivia about the making of Demon, cartooning advice and when I might be coming to a city near you!

Looking back on all of it now, I can say that Demon has been the most rewarding experience of my career. When I started, I knew almost nothing about webcomics or crowdfunding. As my wife can attest, my business sense was below nonexistent. It still is. But nowadays I feel like I’ve discovered the secret elixir to the universe. I want to shout the recipe from the rooftops and tell every creator I know that for about $5 in raw materials, some very rudimentary drawing skills and a solid idea or two, they can start to earn a living from their work too. To that end, I’m planning to write up a 2 or 3 part blog post on everything I learned about making webcomics so stick around.

Right now, I just want to thank everyone here once more. Demon has been the journey of a lifetime and I couldn’t have done it without you!

:kimchi:

It should be noted that the comments section was full of people who were honest about the comics flaws when they had a problem instead of just blindly going "Shiga's great!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like logic puzzles, but Demon got exhausting and ultimately I'm not the anti-hero type. Glad to see he finished up though and I'll keep an eye on his future projects.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Demon wasn't a logic puzzle. It was either the inane scribblings of a madman or the most straight-faced joke in webcomics history. Maybe both!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

It absolutely wasn't my thing, but even if Shiga does nothing else there'll always be "Bookhunter".

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Oxxidation posted:

Demon wasn't a logic puzzle. It was either the inane scribblings of a madman or the most straight-faced joke in webcomics history. Maybe both!

Demon is a strong example of Webcomics As Art.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Zeus has taken many shapes, though I can't find one where he took the shape of a horse. He's notably been a satyr (Antiope), a pigeon (Phthia), a swan (Leda), an eagle (Ganymedes), a bull (Europe), the goddess Artemis (Kallisto), an ant (Eurymedousa), and a golden rain shower (Danae).

I wasn't so much thinking of Zeus as I was thinking of Crete and what Cretans do.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

The Lone Badger posted:

You mean they chopped the limbs off a full-grown opossum to fit them in there? This is getting dark.
Don't know what else to do? Bolt a servitor to it! Servitors for everyone!

In the grim darkness of the Poppy future, there is only war.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New Bunny Meat!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

The joke was definitely on the reader. The way the ending very specifically fails to resolve the story's main mystery is hilarious.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Demon was excellent start to finish. I expected it to be some taut Death Note-esque thriller but I figured out something different was going on by the time suicide by semen-hardened toilet paper shiv came up, and as the crazy poo poo kept escalating it kept getting better.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Morbi posted:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It get's even more :kimchi: towards the readers once you read his comment on the final page.

Jason Shiga posted:

Hey all, Jason Shiga here. Just wanted to stop by the comments section one last time and say thanks to everyone here! It's hard to believe it's been a little over 2 years since the first page of Demon went up in 2014. It feels like a lifetime ago and in a sense it was. My son, Kazuo, had turned 1 years old just a few months before launching the site. Watching him grow up along with the site, the comic and all of my readers has been an absolute joy for me.

It's hard to describe what I'm feeling right now. Making Demon has been a once in a lifetime project, the most rewarding project of my career. I know there's a lot of cartoonists among you, but for those who aren't, let me tell ya, working on a project this big is like crawling up Mount Everest on your hands and knees. Every week, I wanted to turn around and slide back down that mountain. Cartooning is a completely insane way to live but in the end it's YOOOUUU, my readers that have kept me going through the ups and downs. I'm really going to miss you all.

Anyway, I know the comments here aren't usually the place for something so unabashedly sentimental so I'll try and keep this short. I don't ask a lot in life but if you could tweet or Instagram a facebook link to the site, buy the book for a friend or if you hated Demon buy a book for your worst enemy.

http://www.amazon.com/Demon-1-...

Or buy a book for yourself. If you ever see me in person, just whisper the secret commentor password, "Dammit Jimmy!" and I'll draw an elaborate illustration of your favorite character on the title page for you. If you can't afford the book, tell your Facebook and Tinder friends about Demon or write a review. I really really want to make this model of cartooning work, not just for myself and future projects but for all the cartoonists and readers to follow.

Thanks again everyone and stick around the blog section of the site for updates about future projects, news, some behind the scenes trivia about the making of Demon, cartooning advice and when I might be coming to a city near you!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Plethora posted:

New Bunny Meat!

lol these are the best

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Plethora posted:

New Bunny Meat!

finally something I can identify with.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

It should be noted that the comments section was full of people who were honest about the comics flaws when they had a problem instead of just blindly going "Shiga's great!"

The comments section also had the Ice Cream Alternate Universe, which started off as a few switched words and then somehow became more Demon than Demon itself during chapter 17.

Seriously, if you didn't get enough Demon, just...just start here and search "MattMattMatt" on each page. It's an entire extra comic.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Cat Mattress posted:

a swan (Leda)

kinda nsfw: http://gronkcomics.com/comics/swanzeus/?strip_id=0

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah jimmy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gabriel Pope posted:

The joke was definitely on the reader. The way the ending very specifically fails to resolve the story's main mystery is hilarious.

"can demons escape their bodies by behaving like decent people for once in their god drat lives?" wasn't the story's main mystery. Demon started out being a standard Shiga thing about taking some strange conceit and exploring to its limit ("what if you could switch bodies by killing yourself?), and then halfway through switched over to Jimmy & Sweetpea Are A Pair Of Insane Monsters, Check Out All This hosed-Up poo poo! Did Jimmy just pull his most hosed-up stunt yet by accidentally killing every person on Earth? Who knows! But it's funny to imagine, eh?

I mean, I certainly don't feel like I've been the butt of a joke. Demon wasn't the comic I signed up to read, but it's funny as hell, in its very weird way. I got no regrets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait, jimmy's dad was evil for his entire life except one month I guess?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tunicate posted:

Well not necessarily evil, but certainly a selfish poo poo. I mean he's related to Jimmy, right?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Presumably he would have kept not being evil, but then it killed him.

The other two great implications are that Sweetpea--who was like 8 at the start of the story--was never a good person, and neither was Jesus.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tunicate posted:

It only means that he never went thirty-three days without acting on a selfish/impulsive thought. I really like the open-endedness of the ending, it's a nice thought exercise to think about the logical conclusion of them being right (or wrong).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Carrasco posted:

The other two great implications are that Sweetpea--who was like 8 at the start of the story--was never a good person, and neither was Jesus.

There's an enormous gulf between being a good child and being a good person.

Also, I love the line, "I just wanted people to be nice to each other and also worship me as the manifestation of God." I felt Demon got a tad repetitive as it wore on, but it had some great moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The camel-loving was particularly inspired.

• Locked thread