Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Chaltab posted:

That's... really poor game design given how low starting HP is for everyone. Is there a mod that lets you make death saving throws when reduced to 0 like in the actual tabletop game?

Chaltab posted:

Cleric/Illusionist. But I knew that would be a squishy class going in. The problem is the rest of my party and having to pay to resurrect them. You know how in Dragon Age your party members are knocked unconscious but get back up at the end of combat? And you still get a game over if everyone goes down? That seems like a lot more reasonable difficulty curve than this poo poo.
Coming into a thread about a 16 year old game and trying to start poo poo about game balance that later games tried to fix by making death have really no meaning. I don't really want to blow up in your face all "THESE GAMES ARE PERFECT SHUT UP!" because that seems to kind of be the reaction you are baiting for and it's just flat out wrong, these are very flawed games that take some serious effort to appreciate in the slightest and honestly I wouldn't blame you if you gave up entirely on it, because I did so several times when these games were new.

Right now though I really find the brutal lethality of low-level combat rather refreshing since so many new games go to such extreme lengths to ensure you never lose progress. I mean, this and Dark Souls are pretty much all I play these days. And they both have flaws, but the difficulty isn't, what I feel, one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't see how they're baiting anything. AD&D is badly-put-together garbage and most people know that, but it's often shocking when people come from better systems and expect it to not be poo poo.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 25, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Kavak posted:

I don't know if that was a thing in 2nd Edition. Neverwinter Nights killed you at 0 HP rather than -10, too.

2e had an optional rule in the book to let characters fall unconscious at 0 and die at -10, and a lot of groups used that (enough that it became standard in 3e), but the default was that at 0 you were dead.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 25, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't see how they're baiting anything. AD&D is badly-put-together garbage and most people know that, but it's often shocking when people come from better systems and expect it to not be poo poo.

It might have been unintentional, but I've seen people get *reeaally* defensive about their favorite version of D&D. I think 5th edition has just made people really give up on it all though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Lathander isn't so much "nice" as he is "naive" and "young" and also occasionally "unwilling to put up with Realmslore bullshit;" apparently there was some weird event that's only vaguely hinted at that involved him going "Uh, why the gently caress do we just kinda sit around and let the evil gods exist instead of kicking their asses out?" Unfortunately, the bullshit is stronger then any one god, and it mostly just lead to some random lesser goddess nobody had heard about dying because reasons.

See also: Faithless, Wall of; Kelemvor.

It's called the Dawn Cataclysm, and in Valerie's BG2 content that I'm working on, she brings it up with Gavin in crossmod content as to why she doesn't Lathander.

Then again, as planned, a couple of Valerie's epilogues will see her become an outright priestess of Torm - still a sorcerer, but a priestess by vocation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bholder posted:

Only real bullshit is that if your Main Character dies or gets turned to stone it's instant game over while you can resurrect everyone else

That makes sense from a plot point of view. Game over if the PC is soloing and charmed, though, is another matter!

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That makes sense from a plot point of view. Game over if the PC is soloing and charmed, though, is another matter!

Until BG2 where it becomes a problem again because the MC is not the only Bhaalspawn in the party

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Exercu posted:

Until BG2 where it becomes a problem again because the MC is not the only Bhaalspawn in the party

The worst part is that banter in Throne of Bhaal establishes that Imoen has actually died and been resurrected, so you can't just dodge that plothole by making sure she never bites it.

Why do I go to the northern exit of the Bridge District every time I enter it from the south? I am trying to immerse myself, game! :mad:

Kavak fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 25, 2016

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Kavak posted:

The worst part is that banter in Throne of Bhaal establishes that Imoen has actually died and been resurrected, so you can't just dodge that plothole by making sure she never bites it.

I didn't know this was a thing. What does she say about dying? Is there a reason given why she isn't absorbed into the Throne?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

rakovsky maybe posted:

I didn't know this was a thing. What does she say about dying? Is there a reason given why she isn't absorbed into the Throne?

She says things just go dark and then she's alive again. And no reason is given- Bioware was really inconsistent about how exactly being Bhaalspawn works. You interact with it one way in BGI, another in BGII, and I think things change again in Throne of Bhaal.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

I don't know if that was a thing in 2nd Edition. Neverwinter Nights killed you at 0 HP rather than -10, too.

I imagine Neverwinter Nights did it that way because you can only control your created character, everyone else is an AI controlled henchman. So for all intents and purposes, falling to 0 HP may as well have been death since it's not like you'll be able to control anyone else to stabilize you from unconsciousness and the AI henchmen is too dumb to do that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

Why do I go to the northern exit of the Bridge District every time I enter it from the south? I am trying to immerse myself, game! :mad:

Shadows of Amn does directly state that Charname is weird even for a Bhaalspawn - Bhaal himself says you're unique and different from all the others.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did they introduce the whole 'Bhaalsdpawns can't be resurrected' just to explain the Game Over or did it actually had a reason?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does anyone know the dialogue choices for Chapter 10 of Siege where you encounter the other people from where Minsc and Jaheira are from? I've got the evidence, but after I present it their like " Nope, that's still not enough" and then go and join Caelar.

Minsc and Jaheira are already in my party.

Quest is :

Wychalaran and the Berserker.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 25, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I imagine Neverwinter Nights did it that way because you can only control your created character, everyone else is an AI controlled henchman. So for all intents and purposes, falling to 0 HP may as well have been death since it's not like you'll be able to control anyone else to stabilize you from unconsciousness and the AI henchmen is too dumb to do that.

This sounds horrible, like trying to manage a Skyrim mod party. There's no room for real strategy and you're constantly at the mercy of the AI.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone know the dialogue choices for Chapter 10 of Siege where you encounter the other people from where Minsc and Jaheira are from? I've got the evidence, but after I present it their like " Nope, that's still not enough" and then go and join Caelar.

Minsc and Jaheira are already in my party.

Quest is :

Wychalaran and the Berserker.

It's Minsc and Dynaheir (I got the names confused sometimes too, don't worry)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I did manage to get the Berserker to turn against the Witch and now she's dead, but I still can't get the option for them to just leave.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I think I'm finally starting to get a hang of a playstyle for BG2. I've just finished the Twisted Rune fight and now I'm half tempted to try my luck on Watcher's Keep beyond stealthing in for a few key loots.

Or I could start Chapter 3. I guess.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
I finished Baldur's Gate! I first played this game like 15 years ago, and i've FINALLY finished it! Now, on to SoD!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I did manage to get the Berserker to turn against the Witch and now she's dead, but I still can't get the option for them to just leave.
I remember getting them both to abandon the crusade by telling them to trust Dynaheir's judgment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wizard Styles posted:

I remember getting them both to abandon the crusade by telling them to trust Dynaheir's judgment.

Yea I do that and she is still like nope peace out. mean is there more evidence to gather? I choose option one to show her the evidence then am like we all totally saw it and she still leaves.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 25, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
idk, what evidence are you showing her?

I don't remember all the specifics, but I stole Hephernaan's notes and gave those to her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wizard Styles posted:

idk, what evidence are you showing her?

I don't remember all the specifics, but I stole Hephernaan's notes and gave those to her.

Which notes? I gave her some notes I found near that whole lost city area

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Go up into the castle and explore his room.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kavak posted:

Go up into the castle and explore his room.

Ah wrong notes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a list of what mods are/have been updated to work with SoD? It took like a day and a hundred posts in this thread to get my current SCS+other mods BGEE1-2 installs up and running and while I really want to dive back in, I am really happy with my modded game and would prefer to wait it out if updates look likely.

I can post my mod list later but iirc I have:

SCS - not the full install but most of the non-insane options
Tweakpac
lvl1ncp
The one that tweaks Thief and Assassin stuff

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hollismason posted:

Ah wrong notes.
I think those are the ones, actually. I just got two notes you can take mixed up. I really don't remember that part of the game too well, sorry.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying on Steam vs Gog vs Beamdog?

I read that you can't do multiplayer with steam and gog separately which I guess wouldn't be an issue because of Gog's lack of DRM, my friend could always magically obtain my gog copy I guess.

I own the originals on Gog and at this point I'm wondering if its worth the extra $6 to get the EE's, versus waiting for a super steamsale.

I've never played more than 2-3 hours of any BG

fakeedit: I realized how dumb this was after typing it I'm just gonna get the gog ee's thanks thread.

real edit: some people seem really steamed about EE updates "ruining a masterpiece", should I ignore them like I planned on doing

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, pretty much. It's mostly "CHANGE BAD", and that includes my own problems with the new patch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's mostly "CHANGE BAD", and that includes my own problems with the new patch.

Also "buggy, and don't like Dorn/Hexxat/Rasaad/Neera/etc."

I personally haven't bought the EEs because the original games still run on my computer and EE adds nothing I care enough about to pay money for.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rasaad needs to be replaced with a different bald monk- Saitama or Krillin, either would be more effective and interesting.

I've got scrolls of Protection from Undead aplenty, is it worth getting Azuredge to clear out Bodhi's guild?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Change is bad :reject:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Cythereal posted:

Also "buggy, and don't like Dorn/Hexxat/Rasaad/Neera/etc."

I personally haven't bought the EEs because the original games still run on my computer and EE adds nothing I care enough about to pay money for.

I have the EE editions on gog and being able to zoom out , a better interface, and just in general looking better is awesome, plus Draginspear expansion.

The games total will run you 40 bucks for all of it on GOG.

I think that's a bargain.

According to GOG I've got 110 hours logged on just Baldurs Gate and expansions. I still have BG2 and ToB.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 25, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Has anyone tried to mod 3/3.5e rules into BG or BG2? I know ID2 uses it. Could you run the BG2 maps and everything on its engine?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Harlock posted:

Has anyone tried to mod 3/3.5e rules into BG or BG2? I know ID2 uses it. Could you run the BG2 maps and everything on its engine?

Some people have made attempts to sort of do it but you're looking at a total conversion amount of work.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harlock posted:

It would be a better use of everyone's time to just mod the BG1/2 campaigns into PoE, and thus end up with a system that isn't pure, unadulterated garbage.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I have the EE editions on gog and being able to zoom out , a better interface, and just in general looking better is awesome, plus Draginspear expansion.

The games total will run you 40 bucks for all of it on GOG.

I think that's a bargain.

According to GOG I've got 110 hours logged on just Baldurs Gate and expansions. I still have BG2 and ToB.

Can I wait on buying draginspear or does it add stuff to original BGEE

I don't really care about new NPC's not feeling "in place", I've modded elder scrolls games for over a decade, I've probably seen worse.

For my first playthrough can I crank down the difficulty to like easy/medium and only roll with the PC + 2-3 npcs or do I have to run with a full party? (Yeah I know you can solo but I'm saying for the person who doesn't play IE games) Am I going to miss all the sick nasty NPC quests and backstories or can I pick them up at the inn and do their stuff whenever I feel like it?

I played through Pillars with a full party and was really not into micromanaging a roving horde.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Change is bad :reject:

lol, just lol if you didn't copy the v. 1.3. EE games to a place where Steam couldn't touch them

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Are there any serious undead fights besides the vampires and the liches in BG II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kavak posted:

Are there any serious undead fights besides the vampires and the liches in BG II?

Besides? There's a lot of both of those. I guess there's some moderately buff mummies you run into from time to time.