Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Beyonce albums have great beats/song composition/features but I can't help but wish someone besides beyonce was singing on them

kinda the same problem her husband has actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Beyonce's voice is weird to me in that it's really good in a technical sense but it bores me to tears. She has a really generic "good R&B voice" and I'd rather listen to Rihanna or something

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

Beyonce albums have great beats/song composition/features but I can't help but wish someone besides beyonce was singing on them

kinda the same problem her husband has actually

Blockafella

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hot take: Bankroll mafia album > Bey album

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm usually bored as gently caress by pop ballads and never been a huge fan of Beyonce's voice but she does some loving work on Sandcastles, especially that one part, you know the one

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

so loving future posted:

Hot take: Bankroll mafia album > Bey album

i agree but both are two different things.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

thugger + ti is the best duo since thugger + rhq

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Trigger and Duke is the best, but tip is close.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Dexo posted:

Artists don't really give a gently caress, the payoff for streaming numbers is so miniscule. That if I were Bey I would just sell the album(she bought herself out of Sony) and only stream on Tidal to help the family business.

The Streaming rate to the masters holder is so comically low (~.00408 per stream) that even if you had a million streams you net a whopping 4000 dollars. And that's even less if you don't own your own masters.

i think part of the marketing story of tidal is that they pay three times a much per stream as other streaming services? all that is contingent on the audience caring about artist getting paid tho, and very few people actually care about that. hifi was a total failure and hov's leading with that as their flagship service (and madonna) did more damage than even tlop could recover.

anyway nice to see a jack white song on lemonade, who is proving to be hov's best friend these days

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Beyonce's voice is weird to me in that it's really good in a technical sense but it bores me to tears. She has a really generic "good R&B voice" and I'd rather listen to Rihanna or something

yeah basically

bankroll tape is good, would be great with more thug, less filler features and the other peewee instead

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
yea but..... Rihanna cant really...... sing

fight me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

atrus50 posted:

i think part of the marketing story of tidal is that they pay three times a much per stream as other streaming services? all that is contingent on the audience caring about artist getting paid tho, and very few people actually care about that. hifi was a total failure and hov's leading with that as their flagship service (and madonna) did more damage than even tlop could recover.

anyway nice to see a jack white song on lemonade, who is proving to be hov's best friend these days

Yeah that was a problem with Marketing, TIDAL should have been pushed with promises of exclusives and live streamed concerts and poo poo
Not with the same marketing you used to get the artists themselves on board. Also don't promote the hi-fi music at the higher price point. It's an upgrade option for power users.

But meh

Tidal 9.99 is a perfectly fine music

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

views is reportedly 20 tracks long and therefore will be bad because no good album has ever been 20 tracks long

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

views is reportedly 20 tracks long and therefore will be bad because no good album has ever been 20 tracks long

Vince Staples would like a word

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Its a double disc and we all know how those turn out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

was gonna say Stankonia but I guess you can't count the interludes

but yeah actually this

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Vince Staples would like a word

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its gonna be good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
for me the first half of summertime '06 was vince trying to get senorita right and the best track on the album goes for 50 seconds. it was ok.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Immediately reminded me of this:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

summertime 06 definitely should have been shorter and even though it was a solid album all around the high point was a sampled future line from 2014

i know you guys dont agree, sorry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol that's so bad I had to google to see if you were joking

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Drake's album is gonna be like every other drake album: mediocre to bad raps covered by good to great production and hooks. The same group of dudes who overhype all LCD rap semi-ironically will do the same with this album, and the same group of dudes who think a rapper isn't credible without at least 5 pairs of timberlands worn at the same time will poo poo all over it. There will be two rnb singles that I'll secretly (or not so secretly) like.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's LCD rap?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lowest common denominator.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Drake's album is gonna be like every other drake album: mediocre to bad raps covered by good to great production and hooks. The same group of dudes who overhype all LCD rap semi-ironically will do the same with this album, and the same group of dudes who think a rapper isn't credible without at least 5 pairs of timberlands worn at the same time will poo poo all over it. There will be two rnb singles that I'll secretly (or not so secretly) like.
have you listened to the impossible kid yet. hearing aesop ditch his word salad poetry for more straightforward personal lyrics is really weird but it works and he was already kind of heading in that direction on skelethon anyways. he's improved a lot as a producer but some of his beats still come off as pretty bland at times. it's a really really great album overall though. it's nice to hear him say he's finally becoming happier and dealing with his issues after how depressing skelethon was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

hearing aesop ditch his word salad poetry for more straightforward personal lyrics is really weird

actually this sounds really good because the more straightforward tracks on skelethon were really good and his word salad poetry is what puts me off aesop so i'm gonna check this out now 👍

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

alansmithee posted:

this is some seriously LCD drake commentary

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I still remember the time Drizzy proved his masculinity by not having to fly off the handle and lose his poo poo like a pathetic little bitch just because he copped a little bit of splash back when he was out having a good time with some friends.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Budget Prefuse posted:

have you listened to the impossible kid yet. hearing aesop ditch his word salad poetry for more straightforward personal lyrics is really weird but it works and he was already kind of heading in that direction on skelethon anyways. he's improved a lot as a producer but some of his beats still come off as pretty bland at times. it's a really really great album overall though. it's nice to hear him say he's finally becoming happier and dealing with his issues after how depressing skelethon was.

Yeah I listened to it this weekend, was thinking of doing a larger review type thing for it because there's a lot there. Really enjoyed it. It reminded me much more of None Shall Pass than Skelethon-that was a much lighter album (light is obviously relative). I think he's been moving away from his super-abstract poo poo for years, tbh-even Labor Days has some fairly straightforward stuff. I think pretty much since Bazooka Tooth he's been reigning in that style for the most part. Which is good, because one thing this album really made me think about is just how great of a storyteller dude is when he's a bit more grounded (or even sometimes when he's not grounded like bring back pluto). Also, I give him credit for not falling back too much into nostalgia or bemoaning his fate as an oldish rap dude. He talks about it a bit but definitely without a lot of the bitterness that a lot of guys who came up when he did have. On top of which dude's still rapping just as well (or better) than when he started.

And his production's getting better, but I still can't help but thinking he wears his influences a bit too much. Not that it's bad, but there's a lot of times where I'm like "yeah, that's something he learned/borrowed from El-P/Blockhead" and it's like he's still not quite found his own distinct production voice.

Overall it's my second fav release of the year so far (behind TLoP).

Also, I've been kinda worried about listening to the Mr. Lif and J-Zone albums. I didn't mind J-Zone's last album but dude's definitely got more than a hint of "old man yelling at clouds" leaking into his music, which cuts down on the humor a lot (also he's fallen in love with his own drums too much, although I guess he's not risking sample clearance as much as before). And Lif hasn't really made any rap in 7 years, which is basically forever. I didn't like his stuff as much after he left Defjux so not sure what his new album's gonna be like.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 25, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Idk people are starting to turn against him and question him since the quinton poo poo. Talking about his last great work was Take Care was he's been coasting/swagger jacking since. He's been extra cocky lately and some feel like this album needs to be great or his pass is revoked.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

alansmithee posted:

Drake's album is gonna be like every other drake album: mediocre to bad raps covered by good to great production and hooks.

That's pretty much it, although I think some of Drake's hooks are really awkward. Man, I like 40 a whole lot though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also, I've been kinda worried about listening to the Mr. Lif and J-Zone albums. I didn't mind J-Zone's last album but dude's definitely got more than a hint of "old man yelling at clouds" leaking into his music, which cuts down on the humor a lot (also he's fallen in love with his own drums too much, although I guess he's not risking sample clearance as much as before). And Lif hasn't really made any rap in 7 years, which is basically forever. I didn't like his stuff as much after he left Defjux so not sure what his new album's gonna be like.
I thought the old man yelling at clouds thing was the basis of J-Zone's humor, and well executed. It's a really funny album because he takes on older people as well as the younger generation.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Old is 20 tracks long if you count the track they cut at the last minute because they couldn't clear the sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0boHcBFSR0

if this were on Old it would be one of the album's best tracks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

come back Danny :(

dude was on so many features/loosies even before Old came out and they were mostly amazing

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

handshake posted:

Hey imma post a track I did with milo and Busdriver in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-GWf4ISkN4

nice

e: pretty sure i heard a true detective s1 reference in milo's verse. owns

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 25, 2016

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Danny Brown is like a schizophrenic homeless person that landed a record deal. If you haven't checked him out yet, you really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Drake is kicking off his tour in Austin on July 20. its a Drake + Future co-headlining tour with Roy Woods, DVSN (really loving good) + special guests.