Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Davincie posted:

german dubs are infamous over here for how much they suck. like, its a common joke on comedy shows

my favorite is in some Simpsons episode about adoption or whatever some Chinese lady is all ""no chick without a cock", i'm sorry if that has a different meaning in your language", but in German just literally translates it into "keine Henne ohne Hahn", which doesn't have the whole woman/penis connotation so the entire joke is lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Erg posted:

I mean if a cultural ref is so important to the story that taking it away is going to make a story more unclear, then keep it

I like it when translations can make things more immediately accessible though

I come from a text and comic background more than a game background so yes all those little lines can end up incredibly important to not just the story but a characters outlook on life.

Lots of literature isn't even about the story, it's about the characters life and experiencing, a character piece set in Tokyo would be an unforgivable translation if it replaces the references to Tokyo with eastern Iowa, for instance, just because American audiences would be more familiar with Iowa.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

imagine, unsere mütter unsere väter, american edition

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a cartoon duck posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can't believe my parents where in the american army, how will i live with this shame???

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i can't believe my parents where in the american army, how will i live with this shame???

Lmao

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Boat

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Downfall USA

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

American movie subtitles don't change stuff tho, that's why I say it's wierd people accept it for videogames just because it's easier.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Soldier of The Star Spangled Banner

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Maybe... games aren't art........

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

Downfall USA

While Hitler is feeding cyanide to Blondie americans rappel into the bunker for some reason and shot everyone. There are no russians in berlin and the movie ends with Traudl singing America, the beautiful.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yukiko to chie: howdy pardner, you gonna wrangle some cows today? yeehaa!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

American movie subtitles don't change stuff tho, that's why I say it's wierd people accept it for videogames just because it's easier.

Instead, they do terrible remakes, like the American remakes of Oldboy and Let the Right One In.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Instead, they do terrible remakes, like the American remakes of Oldboy and Let the Right One In.

hate that so much

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

K. Flaps posted:

While Hitler is feeding cyanide to Blondie americans rappel into the bunker for some reason and shot everyone. There are no russians in berlin and the movie ends with Traudl singing America, the beautiful.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Those are sperate adaptions though, they aren't actually replacing the original work, which was usually released stateside before, with subtitles.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Battleship Putincrusher anchors off the coast of Maine. in Act IV the american military police heroically crushes an armed communist rebellion on the famous steps of Brunswick.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

Lol

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Davincie posted:

i hate that my father, [DONALD TRUMP], expects me to manage our family business, [TRUMP TOWER], when i grow up. i want to live my own life [MOVING TO CALIFORNIA]

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hell, they do terrible reboots of terrible reboots with terrible tie-ins that may also be another reboot (Looks at Superman).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Battleship Putincrusher anchors off the coast of Maine. in Act IV the american military police heroically crushes an armed communist rebellion on the famous steps of Brunswick.

Lolllllll

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

Hell, they do terrible reboots of terrible reboots with terrible tie-ins that may also be another reboot (Looks at Superman).

superman was always american?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

you also won't see a subtitled film get a wide release. This stuff happens because the primary concern for game pubs is hitting the widest audience possible, and stuff like foreign audio alienates a significant number of people.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

superman was originally going to be a german spy but the us government intervened and changed the script

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Droyer posted:

technically he was an alien before that

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Stuff like giving characters from the Japanese sticks southern verbalaffectations is trying to represent the grammar in the translation and is cool.

Now I've seen the drifters team try it though and I might have to rethink that...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Droyer posted:

Actually he's Jewish.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

you also won't see a subtitled film get a wide release. This stuff happens because the primary concern for game pubs is hitting the widest audience possible, and stuff like foreign audio alienates a significant number of people.

What about the games that are just released in Japanese audio because dubbing is expensive and doesn't add to their sales.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Motto posted:

and yet 90% of the world can handle american audio

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You're gonna see more and more of that going forward as the games market changes. Only the really big dogs can afford dubbed localization anymore and who knows how long that will last.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stexils posted:

superman was originally going to be a german spy but the us government intervened and changed the script

Übermensch now in theaters.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I come from a text and comic background more than a game background so yes all those little lines can end up incredibly important to not just the story but a characters outlook on life.

Lots of literature isn't even about the story, it's about the characters life and experiencing, a character piece set in Tokyo would be an unforgivable translation if it replaces the references to Tokyo with eastern Iowa, for instance, just because American audiences would be more familiar with Iowa.

okay then

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Erg posted:

okay then

This has been a nice conversation about translation that o am glad to have had with you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

What about the games that are just released in Japanese audio because dubbing is expensive and doesn't add to their sales.

those are generally situations where, like you said, the game has no chance of selling particularly well but they still have to localize it for whatever reason. #fe is a guaranteed bomb, for instance.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

You don't usually get one without the other though

Or at least I can't remember a game from recently that amercanized a lot of the references or setting while making it Japaneses voices only

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If ♯FE were a guaranteed bomb it would not get translated and released over here at all. The fact that it's getting released in the West means that Nintendo and Atlus estimate it will make back the costs of the translation/release, and then some.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Erg posted:

You don't usually get one without the other though

Or at least I can't remember a game from recently that amercanized a lot of the references or setting while making it Japaneses voices only

Hearts R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

This has been a nice conversation about translation that o am glad to have had with you.

Yeah, I don't want to come off like I didn't appreciate it or anything. Like, I realized that I've got a little bit of cognitive dissonance going on this subject

• Locked thread