Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TGLT posted:

People have still been working it out, so it's not like people have been complaining. And I'm not sure what you mean by "finished looking" since nothing that affects poise or explains poise has been updated to reflect that it only applies when rolling, and that it still applies to regular enemies. At least, I'm pretty sure a heavy weapon breaks the cathedral guards' poise faster than a dagger. Unfortunately the post explaining the specifics seems to have been removed, so it's very possible that it's not just some variable that reads POISE YES/NO but some part of a function that handles determining poise from armor. Or even just poise when not rolling.

edit: I guess probably the best way to be sure is to just check how Iron Flesh works. Need to sit down and see if it's a poise thing or if it just totally disables flinching

I mean they released the game on PC in a state where bonfires crashed the game. They're not perfect. Did they ever explain what exactly was causing that problem?

I meant finished looking as in, it looks like it works as intended when it is re-enabled by that guy. And again, I sincerely doubt they accidentally forgot to include an entire mechanic that's straight-up on your stats menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I count Lothric Castle and the Archives as separate areas because it pops up the name and music when you move between them.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I pressed a wrong button at just the right time, and used a Kick on an angry wheel skeleton that was rolling at me. It stopped and fell over.

Tracula posted:

I honestly don't know why weapons and especially armor have durability anymore. There's no corrosive stuff and you'd probably be dead a dozen times over by the time even the lightest bit of armor breaks.

Has anyone here broken anything at all in DS3?

Using the Great Sword of Moonlight's charged-up heavy attack to launch moon lasers drains a lot of durability, I cracked it once.

Also btw you can hold any weapon's heavy attack for a second to hit like 50% harder. With the Moonlight, it also shoots a laser for no FP cost.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sakurazuka posted:

If you've just beaten Dancer there are three optional areas and four optional bosses as well as the straight path to the end of the game.

thank gently caress it felt like the game was ending too quickly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

thank gently caress it felt like the game was ending too quickly

If you haven't done the optional areas you're in for some good poo poo. :darksouls:

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I started replaying this game starting with the assassin, and Spook makes a large part of the game way easier than it was my first time through. I can knock all the knights down to at least half their health before they have a chance to hit back, and I was able to just run past most of the ghost zombie kings in the first half of Irythill Valley. I remember there was a silence-footsteps ring in the first Dark Souls, but I never tried it so I don't know if it was that powerful in that game as well.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Deliberately staying mid-soul level. Decent build variety + people who might actually want to pvp.

This is pretty much where I am at, roughly the same soul level. The meta there seems really good. Builds start to come into their own, damage isn't completely out of control (which is technically a minus when it comes to invading other people).

I don't know what the community is pushing for as far as soul level, but outside of a few crazy high stat requirement weapons/abilities, it seems like 60-70 is about as high as the community should probably target, and ~50 has been really good to me. Anytime one of my characters gets up there I basically just PvP for hours before rolling another character back up to ~50.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just so I don't accidentally do it is the last area castle lothric?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StringOfLetters posted:

I pressed a wrong button at just the right time, and used a Kick on an angry wheel skeleton that was rolling at me. It stopped and fell over.

Using the Great Sword of Moonlight's charged-up heavy attack to launch moon lasers drains a lot of durability, I cracked it once.

Also btw you can hold any weapon's heavy attack for a second to hit like 50% harder. With the Moonlight, it also shoots a laser for no FP cost.

This game's MLGS looks cool as poo poo and it makes me mad that I wasn't paying attention and blew my titanite scales on upgrading the Shield of Want just to do it. That's not a soul-transposed item! :argh:

quote:

If you haven't done the optional areas you're in for some good poo poo.

Yep, though the quick-poke dagger guys in the graves are obnoxious.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jose posted:

Last area is Kiln of the First Flame

But at the same time, you can kill the final boss and be fine this time, it's not BB rules where it dumps you into an ending afterwards.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I suck balls so bad at parrying the pontiffs and their attacks aren't easily evaded by rolls given how all over the place (and repeated) they are. This is really annoying. :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

You don't have to worry about it. It will be very clear when you are finishing the game.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there's any Point Of No Return since you're given a prompt on whether you want to go to ng+ or not

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tracula posted:

I honestly don't know why weapons and especially armor have durability anymore. There's no corrosive stuff and you'd probably be dead a dozen times over by the time even the lightest bit of armor breaks.

Has anyone here broken anything at all in DS3?

No, but durability has an especially stupid wrinkle in DS3 in that weapon durability is tracked across invasions. If you invade you get a fresh set of estus and whatever you use has no effect on the amount you have left once your invasion is over, however your weapons degrade consistently across all game modes. So if you're using a fragile weapon in invasions or summons you'll have to eventually rest or use a repair powder or spell. Why From bothered to do this is beyond me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'm making a gimmick build for Undead Settlement invasions. From what I understand I should never take any of my weapons to greater than +3 for weapon matchmaking, but as far as soul level matchmaking I'm considering Soul Level 20 - does this seem like a good level? It should grab folks between level 10 and 30, right?

20-25, with a weapon of +2/10 +1/5 or +3/10. You get a good range that way and more points to put into important stuff. Level 15 and a +2 means you can start invading waiting only seconds in Highwall.
Recommended is dressing up a main character to figure out what you want and rings, calculating how much Vitality you need, and see about taking that lowbie into Irithyll for loot and ashes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Feenix posted:

I suck balls so bad at parrying the pontiffs and their attacks aren't easily evaded by rolls given how all over the place (and repeated) they are. This is really annoying. :(

The pontiffs are definitely some of the most difficult regular enemies in any souls game bar none. You can't afford to gently caress up against them at all. One of them will wreck your poo poo and if you chain multiples then it's a real nightmare.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've just realised that I've been using the carthus bloodring for ages without remembering it makes me take more damage. I'm at -6/7 absorption for everything so I take it this means I take that much % more damage? How much more iframes get added to the roll?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Wagrid posted:

I asked this last night and didn't get a reply, but long term Raw + Flame Arc will work out better for a Pyromancer than Chaos infusion, right?

Yes, most likely, especially if you're using a high base damage weapon with poor scaling (e.g. Astora Straight Sword). Of course, you have to actually cast Flame Arc to benefit from it and it can be hard to reapply buffs in certain boss fights, so a chaos (or dark) weapon is still quite useful.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Andrast posted:

Durability is a mechanic that has been either completely useless or extremely aggravating (DS2 on PC using certain weapons before SOTFS) in all the games so far.

I have no idea why they kept including it as a mechanic

On the other hand, it made for some superb troll invasions. Watch Patrick Klepek's stream of Demon's Souls when he tries to fight The Old Monk. It's really fantastic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tracula posted:

The pontiffs are definitely some of the most difficult regular enemies in any souls game bar none. You can't afford to gently caress up against them at all. One of them will wreck your poo poo and if you chain multiples then it's a real nightmare.

Other than a good shield and armor favoring (i am assuming) Slash? damage, what else can I stack the odds in my favor with? Items? Rings?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

On the other hand, it made for some superb troll invasions. Watch Patrick Klepek's stream of Demon's Souls when he tries to fight The Old Monk. It's really fantastic.

Potato Marshall is a national hero.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
There is no point of no return. After you vanquish the final boss and press a button on the Final Important Thing, and then the credits roll, a message will come up saying, "Do you want to go to Journey 2 right now? You will not be able to return to journey 1. Are you sure?" and you only go to NG+ after you tell it yes. It's quite generous about letting you go back and polish poo poo off.

Feenix posted:

Despite being tall, those folks have very low poise and very crappy shields. Hit them first, with something heavy, and you can batter them into stun-locked submission pretty easily. Yolo them with an aggressive charge. Or a reachy thing like a spear, if they're coming at you.

If you want to get away from a swirly choppy sword chain attack, don't roll away, just hold down your button and run away.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/342.webm

welcome to pound town

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 25, 2016

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Wagrid posted:

I asked this last night and didn't get a reply, but long term Raw + Flame Arc will work out better for a Pyromancer than Chaos infusion, right?

False, infuse that poo poo.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
There is no point of no return, but note that filling the last throne changes a thing which breaks one quest line and removes some context from another.

Ludleth dies, preventing you from getting Anri's sword in one particular version of the questline, and removing some interesting dialogue after finding Eyes of a Fire Keeper.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
When a staff has INT scaling on it does that actually affect your spells? Or is it just how much damage you do if you clonk someone on the head with it?

e: Actually is there a total spellbuff number somewhere on the status screen that I'm missing? It would be really nice if you could see how much (for instance) that really stupid-looking wing crown boosts my damage in return for negative absorption.

e: e:

I went to IGN for this, I feel unclean posted:

Spellbuff is directly influenced by your Int, or of course if it's a Miracle based weapon, then it will be Faith instead. In the past, the only way to improve Spellbuff was by increasing a weapon's level, but that's no longer true for Dark Souls 3. As you gain more Int/Faith, your Spellbuff will increase as well, and you can track this increase by looking at your weapon each time you level up.

Of equal importance, your Int/Faith also determines how much scaling a weapon will receive when upgraded. At 10 Int, a staff might only increase by 1 Spellbuff per level. However, that same staff might gain 10 Spellbuff per level if you have 50 Int. This is important to be aware of, as some weapons that you thought were weak early on, might turn out to be the strongest ones in the game!

e the third: Okay so apparently the spellbuff value changes both with reinforcing the staff and with increasing INT, but things that say "boosts sorceries" don't have a numerical representation anywhere.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

its pretty bogus that, even if you do meet the requirements of a weapon when you 2h it but not 1h it, you still get the scaling penalty

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

whats with your health bar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

Potato Marshall is a national hero.

I just watched this and this is a thing of beauty. Dark Hand used to be real hosed up. :haw:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

whats with your health bar

That's WITH the life ring.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I made it to the church bonfire in Irythill. Wasn't there supposed to be an NPC and a hidden NPC? I see neither... quest-missed?

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Feenix posted:

Ok so I made it to the church bonfire in Irythill. Wasn't there supposed to be an NPC and a hidden NPC? I see neither... quest-missed?

Did you talk to him/her in the catacombs?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Melanion posted:

Did you talk to him/her in the catacombs?

Well one is one o those pilgrims. I already have one, aren't there 3?

If you mean the more human one... by catacombs do you mean Firelink? I can go talk to everyone...

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Cross posting this since it's a technical issue but just wanted to see if this is a thing that has happened to anyone or heard of:

This morning I woke up and my PS4 was making some weird noises (something in the disc drive). It's made them before though so I don't know if this has anything to do with it but since this morning it won't read my DS3 disc and I can't launch the game. I hadn't touched the game since I first put it in my system so it's not damaged or anything but I took it out and cleaned it with a microfibre cloth and everything. Put it back in and still gives the "unrecognized disc" or "no disc inserted" error. I went ahead and tried every other game I own, and all of those discs are working (bloodborne, uncharted, battlefield). I tried DS3 again and still nothing.

I assumed it HAD to be a defective disc so I took it back to the store and got a new one. Well, guess what, I came back and stuck the brand new disc in and it won't read.

Anyone have any ideas where I should go from here before completely wiping my system, taking it apart or buying a new one?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

its pretty bogus that, even if you do meet the requirements of a weapon when you 2h it but not 1h it, you still get the scaling penalty

that and 2 handing improves damage gently caress all

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Feenix posted:

Well one is one o those pilgrims. I already have one, aren't there 3?

If you mean the more human one... by catacombs do you mean Firelink? I can go talk to everyone...

I mean Carthus. You have to speak to Anri at several points to progress their questline, and one of the places is just before Wolnir.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bleh Maestro posted:

Cross posting this since it's a technical issue but just wanted to see if this is a thing that has happened to anyone or heard of:

This morning I woke up and my PS4 was making some weird noises (something in the disc drive). It's made them before though so I don't know if this has anything to do with it but since this morning it won't read my DS3 disc and I can't launch the game. I hadn't touched the game since I first put it in my system so it's not damaged or anything but I took it out and cleaned it with a microfibre cloth and everything. Put it back in and still gives the "unrecognized disc" or "no disc inserted" error. I went ahead and tried every other game I own, and all of those discs are working (bloodborne, uncharted, battlefield). I tried DS3 again and still nothing.

I assumed it HAD to be a defective disc so I took it back to the store and got a new one. Well, guess what, I came back and stuck the brand new disc in and it won't read.

Anyone have any ideas where I should go from here before completely wiping my system, taking it apart or buying a new one?

i'm assuming it'sj ust a bad bluray drive, you can get a replacement on ebay prob (or send it to sony if money is no object/it's under warranty)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQP5VdlG5s

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao at the preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i wish you could snapshot objects in your body because there's nothing funnier to my stupid rear end than running around with a greatarrow right through my character's skull