Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Put it in a big ziplock bag with a cup or two of uncooked rice and wait a week, the rice will pull any moisture out of the card and that might save it.

Also, if you used too much water when you were cooking rice, just put a couple graphics cards in it. They'll draw the moisture out of the rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

DrDork posted:

If you can't get it working again, do not buy a Fury right now--hell, if you MUST get something, get a used 380 for <$200 and slum it for a bit. Both Polaris and Pascal should be hitting the streets in the next few months, and if nothing else that should tank the prices of current cards, while offering shiny new options, as well.

Yeah, good idea. The Fury X would basically return me to 4k but it doesn't seem like it even offered significantly better performance than the 290x.

Maybe I'll pick up a cheapo 960 or 280 that can at least drive the monitor at 4k/60hz and save my bones for a Radeon Pro Duo or NVIDIAs competitor for that.

I'll try throwing the 290x in a friends PC to make sure it's definitely gone before I throw it out. *sad face*

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Put it in a big ziplock bag with a cup or two of uncooked rice and wait a week, the rice will pull any moisture out of the card and that might save it.

This is worth a try but powering it on while wet may well have shorted something important

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KakerMix posted:

I've saved an mp3 player (creative zen with flash memory) that went through a complete wash cycle this way, and also an iPhone that my wife dropped in a bathtub. The other thing is if you happen to have any of those desiccant packs those would work better than the rice I'd wager.

Nah, rice works best because you can get a lot of it cheap.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I took out a motherboard and my 290 spilling coffee onto the case yesterday :downsgun:

Tried drying it out, but it only spectacularly crashed whatever I put it on.

The ram and psu are fine though, when I get my new board I hope the CPU is okay :ohdear:

On the bright side I have an actual reason to get a new card in the coming months

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This is why I don't have an open case

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Join us

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I don't see any 140mm radiator mounts there :colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

You guys are causing me serious mental anguish. My 290 is too young to die!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

You guys are causing me serious mental anguish. My 290 is too young to die!

Just imagine that it's now a $700 980 Ti and you pilled a can of coke off your desk directly into the top exhaust fans. Thankfully, the 140.2mm radiator caught all the coke and it dripped down onto the top of the hard drive instead.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
How the hell are you people mixing liquids and computers so frequently? I'm hyper paranoid about poo poo like this and my computer is a safe distance away from my potential stupidity, why are you placing them under open windows or hugging them with coffee/soft drinks?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FaustianQ posted:

How the hell are you people mixing liquids and computers so frequently? I'm hyper paranoid about poo poo like this and my computer is a safe distance away from my potential stupidity, why are you placing them under open windows or hugging them with coffee/soft drinks?

One problem is the trend of top vents. Always a black mark against a case for me. Then again, I used my Antec P182 (which at least has a cowl on top) as a place to rest my drinks and somehow never had a problem. I did gaffer tape over the open mesh on the cowl as some kind of preventative measure, though.

When I built a new machine, I moved the room around so I didn't do such stupid things again.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 25, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

FaustianQ posted:

These are all very poignant questions.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Top vents, or as my friend calls them, tea holes. The one requirement she had for her computer was no tea holes.

Can't say I can fault her logic.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol if your desktop isn't on top of your desk where poo poo can't fall in

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Truga posted:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Truga posted:

That's where my "work"station is, it also lasts a lot longer on average

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

Who wants that poo poo right in earshot, taking up desk space?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have a big normal sized desk and my dumb machine is silent because it is water cooled.

(don't buy water cooling, it's a trap)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm one of those people who clears off my entire desk at work before I go home, every single day. The same at home too, except the for "leaving" part. I dunno I just like to have things put away unless I need it for that moment so the thought of having a tower sitting on my desk just wasting space triggers me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jt posted:

As far as I can tell there's nothing 'physically' wrong with the part, it just fails to boot.

Any ideas? I've read people doing the 'oven trick' but that seems to be the last possible resort for this kind of thing.

If you're ethically flexible and have a model with three year warranty (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte) then the warranty is still valid and I'll bet you they'd not only take it back but likely give you a 390x to replace it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

Who wants that poo poo right in earshot, taking up desk space?

Mine fits behind my monitor its pretty sweet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I have a big desk and my machine is silent because it's watercooled

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mine sits under the desk, on the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

My tower isn't 1440 pixels tall, gently caress that it goes on the floor. I don't have room for my monitors as is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mine's in a corsair box case on it's side, on a different surface entirely

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

I have a big desk and my machine is silent because it's watercooled

My desk is large enough for three monitors. This also means that my drinks on my desk are about 12" away from the edge, and the edge doesn't overlap onto any "tea holes." Some basic ergonomics and setup should reduce the possibility of spill-based-damage for most people to near zero. poo poo, just put the tower on the opposite side of the desk that you usually sit your drink on. Ain't hard, people.

Also investing in AIO watercoolers for my GPU and CPU were fantastic little additions--the loudest part of my computer under load is the PSU, and even that's pretty soft.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Floor, next to my desk. It's one of those big fuckoff Corsair cases with carrying and standing rails on it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have a thermos for coffee and a water bottle with a spout, both at work and home. Anything less would be uncivilized

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Problem solved.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My box is on my desk and it's got fans and I can't hear them because headphones.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

One of those beer can helmets, but with voice comms, 7.1 surround and Mountain Dew

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

My desk is large enough for three monitors. This also means that my drinks on my desk are about 12" away from the edge, and the edge doesn't overlap onto any "tea holes." Some basic ergonomics and setup should reduce the possibility of spill-based-damage for most people to near zero. poo poo, just put the tower on the opposite side of the desk that you usually sit your drink on. Ain't hard, people.

Also investing in AIO watercoolers for my GPU and CPU were fantastic little additions--the loudest part of my computer under load is the PSU, and even that's pretty soft.

Computer on the left, drink on the right.

I need to come up with a desk with a bit more room, because my 2560+3440+2560x1440 vertical tanning bed fits but the angle's a bit contorted.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

jt posted:

Any ideas? I've read people doing the 'oven trick' but that seems to be the last possible resort for this kind of thing.

The oven takes way too long; I'd just use a microwave

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 25, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Rules for cases are much the same as for bibles, korans, etc: its not supposed to touch the floor and don't put anything on top of it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Rules for cases are much the same as for bibles, korans, etc: its not supposed to touch the floor and don't put anything on top of it.

As an internet atheist, floor it is :smuggo:.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jeez, thank God I have a desk with a Tower drawer that hold my PC safely inside away from anything that can get to it. If I am not actually putting a load on it I can even shut the front door and be a lot quieter. However if there is a Load on it, the heat inside will make that thing throttle up to F-14 loud if the front is shut. Recirculating heat from the rear is bad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can put toys on stop of your computer case.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Jeez, thank God I have a desk with a Tower drawer that hold my PC safely inside away from anything that can get to it. If I am not actually putting a load on it I can even shut the front door and be a lot quieter. However if there is a Load on it, the heat inside will make that thing throttle up to F-14 loud if the front is shut. Recirculating heat from the rear is bad.

yea ok grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ItBurns posted:

Problem solved.

thanks for the new fetish i guess