Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbeard rules. Like, more than anybody else in the series he's probably accomplished the most since it began and had the least setbacks. But every time we've actually seen him get a fight or enact his plans he always only succeeds by the skin of his teeth. Just barely managing to tough out his opponents attacks, backstabbing enemies he can't beat in a straight fight, running away from fights he knows he can't win, having his whole crew gang up on a wounded man, or just plain getting lucky. He barely manages to get away with it every time.

So he really does come off a big deal despite being a no-name at the beginning of the series, and despite having trouble with his plans every time he's appeared. It does feel like he wasn't quite at the same level as the stronger of the 7 Warlords, or the Yonkou, or the Admirals at the start of the series but he still managed to claw his way up the pyramid anyway. And after all that it makes perfect sense for him to have become one of the strongest and most dangerous pirate's of the era following the time skip.

I think he's just had a really cool and well-done set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

He was with the Whitebeard Pirates for many years with Haki-users in their top ranks, so it's understandable he'd know about Haki.

No, I mean he said something in Mock Town that wasn't noticed for a long time because Haki literally just means spirit and it wasn't a thing yet, along the lines of "I knew the bounty he had was too low for his Haki.", which implies he can sense it like Luffy does in Punk Hazard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

it is kinda funny how blackbeard made such a big deal over his fruit nullifying the logia adventage when haki gets introduced pretty soon afterwards

The logia advantage is still pretty big even with haki. Remember that Akainu got hit by Marco and Vista' haki and had about the same reaction as getting a bloody nose in an action movie fight. With a logia power you can move your body around to negate large parts of the damage as well as reform to heal a lot of injuries after the haki hit.

Also I forgot Garp was about to murder the gently caress out of Akainu before Sengoku stopped him.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Manatee Cannon posted:

it is kinda funny how blackbeard made such a big deal over his fruit nullifying the logia adventage when haki gets introduced pretty soon afterwards

oda does it again ... !!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyges posted:

Also I forgot Garp was about to murder the gently caress out of Akainu before Sengoku stopped him.

How did you forget that? It was such a good scene. :colbert:

I hope he shows up again soon. Garp's cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Advice posted:

Nah, that fight was real. Real awesome, that is. Luffy and Teach both managed to get great hits on each other, we learned that Luffy definitely feels very strongly about Blackbeard's involvement in Ace's death. Some people seem to think Luffy is like, indifferent or feels more strongly about Akainu, but Luffy straight up attacked Teach in a blind rage despite their time limit. That's gonna be such a good fight goddamn.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Luffy wouldn't care about Blackbeard capturing Ace, only that he'd have good reason to be far more angry at Akainu for killing Ace. Which...I think you'd have to be delusional to think otherwise frankly. Luffy's reaction to Ace's capture was to at first push it off as his own adventure and then to want to free him, in a collected if hasty manner. Ace's death nearly broke him. It's the closest he's come to giving up on his dream and walking away from the adventure in the whole story. Jinbe had to remind him of his own crew and what he still had to bring him out of it, because seeing Ace die broke him emotionally and mentally. He made his entire crew disband for two years and trained specifically because of it. It was the culmination of a lot of stuff, but Ace's death was the one thing that made him realize how much he needed that training.

He was also that angry before Ace died, when Blackbeard was the one with the greatest blame in the whole thing and he was sure he could rescue Ace. It's entirely possible that he's put some of that anger off Blackbeard and on to Akainu now that Ace is actually dead at his hand. He doesn't need to have, since I'm sure he has enough anger to go around, but he might think Blackbeard is a smaller crime now that someone has actually killed Ace rather than just captured him.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Naw, it's the other way around, the strain on his body makes even the lightest hit feel like a serious injury, his goons mention that during the Ace scene. That's what made Luffy knocking him out in Impel Dawn so great. Also jesus chriest when he powers it up and his eyes are blood shot

Unless I'm forgetting something, Luffy didn't knock him out in Impel Down. He knocked him on to his back using a jet gatling but didn't knock him out. If he knocked Blackbeard out, he'd have already beaten a "boss" and that isn't going to happen.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Like Gyges said, haki stops the immediate effect of the fruit on you, but the darkness fruit stops the fruit from having any effect at all (beyond what you'd need to live). So haki can stop a lava man from no-selling your attacks, but doesn't make them hurt him - while using the darkness fruit would make him a regular human for the duration you held him. It's a pretty big advantage over haki and something I can see Teach wanting even at the cost of extra sensitivity.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think Film Z made a big deal of this as well with Z fighting Kizaru and Z reminding Kizaru, his protege, not to rely too much on his Devil Fruit powers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Remember also that some people have higher haki than others and this gives them certain advantages. See Shanks and, very likely, Garp. It is suggested that particularly strong haki let's you beat the piss out of even logia users.

Also wrt blackbeard: He has probably taken more abuse throughout the season than any other character and essentially laughed it off. If you think he is physically weak you are wrong. He is tremendously strong and durable, which allows him to fully capitalize on his fruit's abilities while simultaneously minimizing the severe as unique drawbacks of it. His fruit can't really deal damage in and of itself, but it does let him use his brute strength to maximal efficiency by negating defenses that fruits offer and users rely on.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

Remember also that some people have higher haki than others and this gives them certain advantages. See Shanks and, very likely, Garp. It is suggested that particularly strong haki let's you beat the piss out of even logia users.

Also wrt blackbeard: He has probably taken more abuse throughout the season than any other character and essentially laughed it off. If you think he is physically weak you are wrong. He is tremendously strong and durable, which allows him to fully capitalize on his fruit's abilities while simultaneously minimizing the severe as unique drawbacks of it. His fruit can't really deal damage in and of itself, but it does let him use his brute strength to maximal efficiency by negating defenses that fruits offer and users rely on.

I sincerely believe Blackbeard plays up his enhanced pain to throw off his opponents. Let them think he's a weakling before he slams them in the neck like he did with Ace.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Can Blackbeard zap away your inability to swim?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

F. Lobot posted:

:iiam:

Would be useful though.

Also depending on the restrictions on his gura gura fruit use he's not exactly hurting for ways to deal damage. Wouldn't want to be a logia user with no internal organs left after getting hit by those two in tandem.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 24, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

F. Lobot posted:

I'd guess not. Just nullify the powers without taking away the fact you're still an "X-X man", eating a Devil Fruit probably merges its essence with your DNA or some poo poo. Vegapunk would probably explain more about the science of this.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That's why I was curious as to what happened if he grabbed Brooke or Chopper.

Does Brookes body just collapse into parts or does it reform the second he's let go? Does his soul pass on with no ability to come back? Does Chopper regain his human intelligence? It's never going to happen but I'd super interested if Oda decided to answer that in a SBS corner one day because they aren't like other Devil Fruit users, they exist as they are entirely because of their Devil Fruit. If you take away the Devil Fruit you just have a normal reindeer and the corpse of an already dead man.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd assume they'd stay alive but just not have any fruit granted fighting powers. It's like asking how Robin's clones have clothes. They need to be there so they are. Brook needs his devil fruit to live, so the darkness fruit wouldn't affect that, just stop him body hopping or whatever.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I want to object to everyone saying that Blackbeard must be tough because he was a candidate to be a division commander. I read that scene entirely differently. It read to me like a young superstar getting promoted but having to get the blessing of the old guy who's been with the company for a long time. The old guy can't really object without risking his position and the young guy probably doesn't really care who got hired first, but they both have to have this conversation to be polite. A very Japanese situation.

As for Shanks' scar, we don't know how that happened. Blackbeard could have attacked him while Shanks was asleep for all we know. Or something else dirty and underhanded.

I don't think you can assume Blackbeard's tough from either of those points.

Asuron posted:

That's why I was curious as to what happened if he grabbed Brooke or Chopper.

Does Brookes body just collapse into parts or does it reform the second he's let go? Does his soul pass on with no ability to come back? Does Chopper regain his human intelligence? It's never going to happen but I'd super interested if Oda decided to answer that in a SBS corner one day because they aren't like other Devil Fruit users, they exist as they are entirely because of their Devil Fruit. If you take away the Devil Fruit you just have a normal reindeer and the corpse of an already dead man.

I imagine Brook would get booted out of his body. Like, we know he can leave it and float around as a ghost, so it'd just be like that. As for Chopper, I think he just wouldn't be able to transform; he's just stuck in the form he was in.

lowercase16 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 24, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lowercase16 posted:

I want to object to everyone saying that Blackbeard must be tough because he was a candidate to be a division commander. I read that scene entirely differently. It read to me like a young superstar getting promoted but having to get the blessing of the old guy who's been with the company for a long time. The old guy can't really object without risking his position and the young guy probably doesn't really care who got hired first, but they both have to have this conversation to be polite. A very Japanese situation.

As for Shanks' scar, we don't know how that happened. Blackbeard could have attacked him while Shanks was asleep for all we know. Or something else dirty and underhanded.

Scarring Shanks is a drat impressive accomplishment even if you had to be dirty to do it. He's one of the 4 Emperors and he ended a war with a few words.

Sure, it was probably earlier in his career but still, you've got to be one tough sonuva bitch to cause a permanent scar on someone of Shanks' level.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Or, you know, a rando fish that basically anyone around could take out now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hey man, that fish was King of the Coast. Give him some respect. :colbert:

But ok, good point. Shanks never had to warn anyone to not underestimate that fish though. So Blackbeard's likely on a different level.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

lowercase16 posted:

The whole point of Shanks meeting up with Whitebeard way back when was to convince Whitebeard that Blackbeard is not someone to be underestimated since he could do something like scar him and to not let Ace go after him for revenge for the crew despite Ace being at least Shichibukai-level strong.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Shanks intentionally gave up his arm to inspire Luffy to greatness and become the Pirate King because of his promise and resemblance to Roger. Also to make a bet on the New Generation etc etc.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think he gave up the arm so mihawk would quit bugging him for fights.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
He was carrying the Rubber fruit and nobody was eating it because it was Roger's just get it over with, Oda.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

He was carrying the Rubber fruit and nobody was eating it because it was Roger's just get it over with, Oda.

The origins of the Gomu-Gomu no Mi will probably be revealed when the Straw Hats finally meet up with Shanks and Ussop or Robin ask about it, cue flashback.

E: Kaidou's also probably going to send Kidd as his unwilling messenger to fight Luffy then Luffy and Kidd will team up a la Law to attack Kaidou back to reenact the trio Luffy/Law/Kidd squad like they did on Shabondy.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 24, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The origins of the Gomu-Gomu no Mi will probably be revealed when the Straw Hats finally meet up with Shanks and Ussop or Robin ask about it, cue flashback.

E: Kaidou's also probably going to send Kidd as his unwilling messenger to fight Luffy then Luffy and Kidd will team up a la Law to attack Kaidou back to reenact the trio Luffy/Law/Kidd squad like they did on Shabondy.

I don't think Kidd is the type to listen to another's orders at all, even if he was threatened with death or something. He'll probably just stay in that cell for a bit before causing some havoc for Kaidou somewhere down the line and maybe escaping on his own.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There was an emptyquote here. It's gone now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Didn't Moria lose to Kaidou? I wonder if Kidd will have a big reaction like he did?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

tsob posted:

Didn't Moria lose to Kaidou? I wonder if Kidd will have a big reaction like he did?

I guess that might depend on what happened to Kid's crew.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Scarring Shanks is a drat impressive accomplishment even if you had to be dirty to do it

Shanks outright says he wasn't being careless. Blackbeard just dealt him a serious wound in the early stages of both their careers. Likewise Ace has the flashback to Blackbeard giving his blessing because he indeed took Blackbeard throwing his support behind Ace as fond personal memory he cherished. One from a man he respected and who's betrayal he took very personally.

Also Whitebeard outright warned Ace about how dangerous Teach was and even said it might be best not to pursue Blackbeard and just let it go for now because of it. The entire reason he acted like a dick to Shanks was because to do otherwise would be disrespecting his son Ace to a stranger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So caught up with last week's chapter.

There's no way the Straw Hats AREN'T going to be crashing Reverie in the best of ways, right? Like, we're gonna drive the Sunny right into Marjolais.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Waffleman_ posted:

So caught up with last week's chapter.

There's no way the Straw Hats AREN'T going to be crashing Reverie in the best of ways, right? Like, we're gonna drive the Sunny right into Marjolais.

It's going to be like how Luffy entered Marineford, but better. :getin:

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
On that note, I just realized that Stelly's reappearance last chapter means the Revolutionaries are almost definitely going to crash Reverie (so Sabo can meet with him again).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kaidou also seems to have serious conniptions about the 'worst generation'.
Also I think Kid was backstabbed by Apoo.

The fucker.

It'd be really easy for Apoo, too, what with his enhanced reaching ability.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. The full loving Straw Hat Armada, even.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Which time? The time with Rayleigh or with the prison breakers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Which time? The time with Rayleigh or with the prison breakers.

Why would you think Jinbei and Raleigh aren't gonna be there with Luffy?

Ultimate entrance is if they can get a space drop after visiting the moon.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
All the lols if no one can find the last Road Ponyglyph because it's hidden on the moon.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

All the lols if no one can find the last Road Ponyglyph because it's hidden on the moon.

And then Eneru shows up, having managed to pry it out of the ground and load it onto the Maxim before returning to earth for Reasons.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Teach is obviously physically strong. He was in-line to be the next commander if he didn't let Ace have it. And his entire duel with Ace was him vortexing him to close combat and punching. Ace even said bb almost broke his neck in one punch.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

BB is strong and thinking he isn't is objectively wrong. He can still feel pain, though, and his fruit makes that far worse. He also is smart enough to know that makes others underestimate him and often gives him an advantage in fights.

Also saying he is strong doesn't imply he is the "strongest". Not in a world where people like Whitebeard and Kaidu and Sengoku exist. He is definitely a tough dude, but his real strength lies in his ability to plan and calculate. Yet another juxtaposition of Luffy, who never plans anything beyond his next meal.

Separate note: The crew going for Sanji is going to stagger in starving and beat up just like Kreig's crew when they visited the baratie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The Revolutinaries I can see but I have no idea why you guys are expecting the Straw hats to make the revelry. Strawhats are queued up for two more arcs and Vivi just left the ship, I don't think that voyage is going to be like a realistic 8 months to get their