Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I also played the original Doom as a tense survival horror type deal, it honestly never occurred to me to play it any other way, I don't think I even had a mouse. The only time I ever even used the run button was in truly panic situations where I found myself overwhelmed and no longer had the presence of mind to make an orderly retreat. More often than not I would end up flinging myself at lightspeed into a toxic waste pit.

Doom 2 and 3 didn't really manage to recapture that immersion but I'm still looking forward to 4, though it seems clear already it's pandering to a different nostalgia than mine. Funny enough the difference in tone of the box art pretty much sum it up, I just thought that was interesting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gobblecoque posted:

Huh, this post finally inspired me to play Doom 64 (which is kinda weird that I haven't before since I've always been a fan of the N64 and old shooters). I guess I always assumed it was kinda like other ports like Duke 64 which wasn't really very different in any interesting and meaningful ways. This is pretty fuckin sweet though and is nothing like PC Doom.

The Quake II console ports were kind of a middle ground between normal ports and Doom 64 totally new games - they had significantly changed level struture, and not just the simplifications to run ok on the hardware that most Doom ports did.

So, worth checking out in emulation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

khwarezm posted:

Yeah it's weird, I sometimes look at Doom 3 and I think to myself 'Pah! That's not really Doom!' but then I remember I only think that because I've spent most of my time playing doom blasting through custom maps with hundreds of monsters. Going back to the first game in particular they were really going for a survival horror setup with all the shadows, limited resources, creepy music and surprise monster closets, its just hard to notice since it turns into such a cakewalk after a certain skill level is reached and the archaic graphics and sound standard means it's hard to be legitimately scared by it these days.

Doom 3 is more Doom than Doom.
I made a similar point early in the thread, that after replaying the original Doom, Doom3's horror vibe and monster closets makes a lot more sense - Doom 3 really is a next-gen, hi-def remake of the original Doom, and the enemy encounters and overall tone are very similar.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Doom 2 (and Final Doom) does basically drop the survival horror atmosphere wholesale, especially when you get to crazier levels like Tricks and Traps, Barrels o' Fun or Gotcha! not to mention the wacky secret levels with Wolfenstein Nazis and Hanged Commander Keens. The scariest level in that game is probably Dead Simple and that's mostly because it puts you in the thick of it surrounded by angry monsters, if you're playing for the first time that will be the first time you face Mancubus and Arachnotrons and they do not gently caress around. Its like a miniaturized preamble to the slaughter maps that would eventually dominate custom maps.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It's funny you'd mention dead simple when it's literally the first ever example of a game putting you in a room filled with monsters and not opening the doors until you kill everything. Literally the first ever 'fight arena' style level in an FPS.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Gobblecoque posted:

Huh, this post finally inspired me to play Doom 64 (which is kinda weird that I haven't before since I've always been a fan of the N64 and old shooters). I guess I always assumed it was kinda like other ports like Duke 64 which wasn't really very different in any interesting and meaningful ways. This is pretty fuckin sweet though and is nothing like PC Doom.

I remember there being quite a few cosmetic differences in Duke 64. The layouts between 64 and PC were the same, but thematically wise totally different. They changed the strip club in one of the earlier levels to a truck stop somehow. Some of the weapons looked very different too but handled the same.

I think it might have to do with how squeamish Nintendo was with the content. The PS1 version is a faithful port of the PC game.

spamchicken
Jul 26, 2005
(>^_^(>ó_ò)>

ChickenHeart posted:

As for actual content, I'm pretty psyched over DO4M's music. The soundtrack is being done by the same guy who composed for the recent Wolfenstein game (Mick Gordon), which was fantastic.

There was a small leak of a couple tracks from Gordon's website, and so far it sounds pretty legit (Though a lot of this stuff may have come from the old COD-like version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lPnu5jOmII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVz17l5UUTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCIzcGcCjk

From one chicken to another, I'm also incredibly psyched for the music if only because it sounds like, to me at least, the original Doom's title music will be a recurring theme in Doom 4's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJI8JDnLH3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKnoTbg2qtI (starting around 4:13)

My first time playing Doom (shareware) was with a Soundblaster Pro, and if no one else hears this in the tracks above then I don't know what to think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPLSw9uubhE
The shareware version I had didn't have that annoying, loud, whiny sound that occurs in the final version. Just the double "DOOOOooommm" I guess is how I would describe it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I remember there being quite a few cosmetic differences in Duke 64. The layouts between 64 and PC were the same, but thematically wise totally different. They changed the strip club in one of the earlier levels to a truck stop somehow. Some of the weapons looked very different too but handled the same.

I think it might have to do with how squeamish Nintendo was with the content. The PS1 version is a faithful port of the PC game.

The most obvious difference is they redrew all the weapons and changed how they behaved, either by giving them alt-fires or secondary ammo or by straight-up replacing them with different guns.

They also rendered the final boss in true 3D, which is kinda goofy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtGln2XVyg

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

AirRaid posted:

It's funny you'd mention dead simple when it's literally the first ever example of a game putting you in a room filled with monsters and not opening the doors until you kill everything. Literally the first ever 'fight arena' style level in an FPS.
Uh, E1M8??

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Linguica posted:

Uh, E1M8??

Fine, second. :colbert:

Dunno how the hell I forgot that. :suicide:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah but the cosmetic changes in Duke64 aren't really enough to qualify as interesting and meaningful to me (in that there's not really much reason to play 64 if you've already played 3D, whereas there's plenty of reason to give Doom 64 a go if you've already played the original), especially since most of it was just censorship.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

spamchicken posted:

From one chicken to another, I'm also incredibly psyched for the music if only because it sounds like, to me at least, the original Doom's title music will be a recurring theme in Doom 4's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJI8JDnLH3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKnoTbg2qtI (starting around 4:13)

Awesome. I'd love to hear In The Dark and Adrian's Asleep done in a similar style

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Plan Z posted:

It's interesting how Doom is to different people.

It's a loving video game to anyone who isn't mentally handicapped

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

echronorian posted:

It's a loving video game to anyone who isn't mentally handicapped

Yikes.

Doom 64 is still my favorite. I always liked the atmosphere of Doom and I feel like 64 took it to where I would have liked it most.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The PS1 game's soundtrack really suits the game as well. The skyboxes in the game are much better too, especially in the Hell levels where it's just a massive towering inferno of fire in the sky.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
wow, i hope this will be as good as duke nukem forever. very exciting

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Today we're going to find out what snapmap is like, they're holding a stream of that, and then a couple days later we'll finally see more of what the single player is like.

I'm looking forward to actually seeing concrete evidence of the campaign and map maker before I make my decision on how to feel about the game.

Only one thing will make me write off the game completely at this point, that's if they decided to keep the bullet time weapon switch, every little bit they've shown since E3 indicated that they've removed that, but just in case they decided to keep it it's really the only thing at this point that would make me completely not bother to even try the game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The PS1 game's soundtrack really suits the game as well. The skyboxes in the game are much better too, especially in the Hell levels where it's just a massive towering inferno of fire in the sky.

It's a shame they kept the heavily cut down Jaguar maps for the Doom 1 section of PS1 Doom, including excluding like a third of the maps entirely. Especially since the Doom II section showed that the PS1 could easily handle nearly full-on Doom levels.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Al-Saqr posted:

Only one thing will make me write off the game completely at this point, that's if they decided to keep the bullet time weapon switch, every little bit they've shown since E3 indicated that they've removed that, but just in case they decided to keep it it's really the only thing at this point that would make me completely not bother to even try the game.
Really... the weapon selection wheel is your make or break for the game...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Linguica posted:

Really... the weapon selection wheel is your make or break for the game...

What I mean is that it's the only thing that will make me never even try the game. as in "nope" on sight. There's still other things that could spoil my view of it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Speaking of possiblities of poo poo, here's the stream for the Snapmap, which is starting in 10 minutes or so:-

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thank for the link

They are playing DO4M basketball and i'm glad of it

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Cool, some SP footage now, lol at the key indicator :xd:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ooooh! You can change weapon damage and enemy health parameters!! Coop maps!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I could see myself having fun with snapmap

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Snap map is shaping up to be legitimately cool and good. Definitely more robust and creative than I thought it would be.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 25, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Agreed it looked fun. The keyboard + sequencer, tying monster kills to opening doors and stuff, a map where if you taunt you make monsters more aggressive... Some cool poo poo imo

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I can see why they've been pushing the multiplayer aspect of the game near-exclusively for the past few months.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

koren posted:

I can see why they've been pushing the multiplayer aspect of the game near-exclusively for the past few months.

How so ?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

koren posted:

this is some high-level sarcasm

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Some of those snapmap things seriously reminded of people goofing off with ZDoom scripting, which is... good?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Linguica posted:

Some of those snapmap things seriously reminded of people goofing off with ZDoom scripting, which is... good?

Yas

+It looks simple enough for retards like me to do with their controller while baked

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 25, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this is some high-level sarcasm

Either that or they're thinking "no one's gonna be into this poo poo, let's just get this stream done with".

Problem is, this poo poo's actually more interesting than MP somehow.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The having to grind to get good poo poo for your map system seems kind of hosed up, but the rest looks solid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

Speaking of possiblities of poo poo, here's the stream for the Snapmap, which is starting in 10 minutes or so:-

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

"we're playing with sped up characters, which is something you can do in snap---"

"we know what people want..."

Haha, seems like they heard all the criticism about it feeling like Halo. You have to wonder why they'd market the MP so heavily over the SP knowing those kinds of concerns though. Its like they forgot all about Doom being COD-like being a concern until the beta and then went "whoops! that was a thing! We remember now!"

I love in-game level editors so snapmap is pretty sick. Especially if we can modify the gamefeel a little.

koren posted:

Seriously, Bethesda, what are you doing.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously, Bethesda, what are you doing.

"Kids like that Multiplayer poo poo right?"

"But we got some actually cool stuff in SnapMap and there's the SP campaign to worry about and-"

"THE MONEY SAYS MP IS THE BIG THING, ID. SO WE'RE GONNA FORGET ABOUT THAT AND PUSH MP."

Like, I betcha anything Bethesda wants a multiplayer game under their belt just 'cuz.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Snapmap is going to save their game and it's like they just managed to get this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seriously loving the SnapMap features, its even more complex than Halo 5 forge like I was hoping. Probably the best non-professional game editor ever made.

Really impressive tools and features. And lots of freedom to play around. Cosmetics, geometry, rules, scripting, lighting, etc.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if 5-10 years from now, professional games are made with tools this user friendly and robust too.

widespread posted:

"Kids like that Multiplayer poo poo right?"

"But we got some actually cool stuff in SnapMap and there's the SP campaign to worry about and-"

"THE MONEY SAYS MP IS THE BIG THING, ID. SO WE'RE GONNA FORGET ABOUT THAT AND PUSH MP."

Like, I betcha anything Bethesda wants a multiplayer game under their belt just 'cuz.

Everything I've read about game publishers suggests that their heads are firmly buried in the sand and they could not be more out of touch with their customers if they tried, so probably.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I only caught a glimpse of the stream, did they seriously put in a system where you have to unlock elements of the map editor with in-game funbucks? Because if so loooooooooool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

I only caught a glimpse of the stream, did they seriously put in a system where you have to unlock elements of the map editor with in-game funbucks? Because if so loooooooooool

Lol yes. Super Mario Maker did the same stupid as hell thing, where everybody ended up creating random maps and just filling them with grids of blocks over and over in order to game the system to unlock the rest of the bits faster.

I am so sick of that "____ is fun in another context, lets shoehorn it in here!" game design mentality. It never works.

People like unlocks! Lets lock a bunch of snapmap features so they can unlock them!

People like loadouts! Lets make a doom game with loadouts and no map spawns!