Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Soulex posted:

Right, because that's a great example.

I could go eat dinner with people. Instead I'm going to buy he restaurant and eat by myself.

Good job topping a perfect comparison with a terrible one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

mallamp posted:

Besides, Skyrim doesn't even work on ps4

It's funny because the world in ESO is actually way more reactive than the world in Skyrim so in a sense it's the superior single player game.

And going "Heh, keep your casual single player crap out of my MMO, cupcake" is retarded, it's the thing the market has been drifting away from for ages and exactly what killed Wildstar.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Morglon posted:

It's funny because the world in ESO is actually way more reactive than the world in Skyrim so in a sense it's the superior single player game.

And going "Heh, keep your casual single player crap out of my MMO, cupcake" is retarded, it's the thing the market has been drifting away from for ages and exactly what killed Wildstar.

Wildstar being a free-to-play WoW lookalike with zero entertainment value killed Wildstar.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Soulex posted:

Right, because that's a great example.

I could go eat dinner with people. Instead I'm going to buy he restaurant and eat by myself.

Don't, man. Just run. The Badass is posting again and soon the fields will be salted. The weeping and screams of the women and children will echo throughout the thread, like a harsh wind across the plains of the what-was. And as we wander, witless and destitute through the corpse-ridden Valley of Shitposting below, the trails of smoke will whirl into a facade of warning, a banner of the horror we now face. Their tendrils form words, a brutal poetry and prose chanting praise for the soulless abyss we march endlessly to.

And the end of the words is "Console is the superior platform".

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Morglon posted:

Elaborate please, other than the fact that you can't save scum during stealing so it has the best Elder Scrolls justice system.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Elaborate please, other than the fact that you can't save scum during stealing so it has the best Elder Scrolls justice system.

People actually recognize that you did a thing. You get comments in passing. Your status, in a sense, goes up. Skyrim doesn't care. *Kills dragon in the middle of city, it's corpse burns bright as you absorb it's soul* Passing Guard: "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll?"

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

People actually recognize that you did a thing. You get comments in passing. Your status, in a sense, goes up. Skyrim doesn't care. *Kills dragon in the middle of city, it's corpse burns bright as you absorb it's soul* Passing Guard: "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll?"
Also some towns and villages do evolve throughout a quest.
You can find a village that appears normal, then quest happens and is under attack and finally you finish the quest and the village is being rebuilt.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The world changes constantly with poo poo you do, one of my favorites was a quest where you run into a courier on the road he tells you that his village is being attacked by Deadra but when you get there the defenders seem to be doing alright so you go report to the captain. During the conversation you hear explosions from outside and get told that it looks like they brought in the big guns. Go out, kill some of them and get sent to go find the summoners that keep bringing in dudes and take them out. When you do so you turn the tide of battle and you get back to the village in time to see reinforcements roll in and start with the mop up, turn in quest and as you head out you see a bunch of soldiers patrolling and normal villagers beginning to clean up.

The entire last chapter of the story is you heading to Oblivion to a town that was transported there for reasons I can't remember ages ago. When you get there it's all poo poo, cobwebs everywhere, broken stuff, no people but demons running around being dicks. You then do various poo poo in the zone to save people, restore wards and find help for your boss fight later on.

It's a really bleak world though and there's lots of sinister poo poo going on. Which I suppose is normal for fantasy games but not many let you decide what you do with people who kind of occupy a gray area.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Transcript of the round table discussion at PAX.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/261597/pax-dark-brotherhood-round-table-transcript

Doesn't look like a lot of new information yet, should know more with PTS today I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

This was posted today as well: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/04/25/dark-brotherhood-launch-details

Just waiting on the PTS to come online to try it out today

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

JackBadass posted:

Why? For as long as I'll live, I'll never understand why anyone would buy a Massively Multiplayer game for a single player experience.

Because the quest lines are fun? I am not saying I will never talk to people, I am saying that I am traditionally a PC MMO player and I haven't tried it on console yet. Surprise surprise, it's still fun without someone spamming up trade chat every half a second

E. I mean poo poo, I played through the Secret World almost entirely single player and that was some of the most fun I've had when compared to doing my x-thousandth run of the same Wow instance

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 25, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah. The evolving of cities and towns is really cool and is fun to do regardless. I wish more games implemented that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Looks like ennuid was right. Memorial day launch to cash in on all the kids out of school for the summer.

Also, there's this amusing thread on their forums calling out the developers for adding a small, insignificant perk to ESO+, the unlimited craft bags.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean poo poo, I played through the Secret World almost entirely single player and that was some of the most fun I've had when compared to doing my x-thousandth run of the same Wow instance

That's a fantastic game to do that too and while I'm not saying you have to play it alone the more horror and investigative aspects of the game are really best experienced at your own pace and you can complete the entire game on your own. But you'd be missing out by not doing the dungeons and various nightmare areas so it strikes a good balance there. Combat's still a bit clunky though and some areas are weaker than others.

Edit:V Pretty much that

Morglon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 25, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I like ESO's combat by a long mile compared to TSW's but yeah it has really great story telling and voice acting. The dungeons are a lot shorter too but pretty fun as well, especially the first time around if you do them with friends as they've got some neat cinematics usually.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

If The Secret World had had a combat model similar to The Division it could have been a huge hit, the combat was just so bland and boring it overshadowed the great world and quest design for me.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah, the deck system was interesting in allowing you to really customize your build how you wanted, but probably could have used half the active abilities and been more action-y.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The issue is that they tried to make every build viable and in the end made all of them almost identical

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah the main problem I had with TSW combat was it boiled down to pressing your desired Builder button 5 times then your 2 spenders leaving room for a couple of utility skills. So 90% of combat was 1,1,1,1,1,2,3 repeat.

Patch notes teaser for Heavy Armor:

Constitution: Increased the amount of Magicka and Stamina restored from this passive ability whenever you are hit by approximately 275%.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ugh, I think I may start playing this again. Got a NB up to VR4 on DC but went with stamina dual wield/bow/2h and regretted then and looks like I still would. Also played a Templar tank/healer with a mix of stamina/magicka which is probably also bad.

Thinking about rolling up something new in the lizard pact. I guess either sorc or DK. If I go DK, how viable is light/destroy staff? Should I just stick with the traditional tank? It seems now a waste of time to try and do staff + something like 1h/shield, yeah? What about destro/restro sorc? What do I do my goons.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Magicka DK is pretty good, with my main I usually wear at least five light one medium and one heavy with sword and shield and a destro staff, and that's more or less my build for like...the past year, so.

edit:

Patch notes for the DB PTS out: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/4gf7y3/news_eso_pts_240_dark_brotherhood_patch_notes/

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2016

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Started playing again and found out that all my add-ons still work except one, which works fine except with another add-on. The problem being is I find both add-ons required for my enjoyment.

They are:
Smarter Auto Loot
HarvestMap

SAL is out of date but still works, but it breaks HarvestMap's ability to add new pins to my map some how. Having to manually loot (since I want the map pins a little more than autoloot) is such a pain, especially since I haven't had to do it ever.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The best is getting in the looting rhythm, press 'e', press 'r'. Then not having the window open up and you drop your ultimate, love that, so fun.

Also Patch notes: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/261799/pts-patch-notes-v2-4-0/p1

This kinda sucks, guess my stam DK is not poison based instead of Fire.

Dragonknight
Ardent Flame
Burning Breath (Fiery Breath morph): Renamed this morph to Noxious Breath. In addition, this morph now deals Poison Damage instead of Flame Damage.
Kinding: Renamed this passive ability to Combustion. In addition, this passive ability now also increases the damage of the Poisoned status effect, in addition to the Burning status effect.
Unstable Flame (Searing Strike morph): Renamed this morph to Venomous Claw. In addition, this morph now deals Poison Damage instead of Flame Damage.
World in Flame: Renamed this passive ability to World in Ruin. In addition, this passive ability now also increases the damage of Poison area of effect abilities, in addition to Flame area of effect abilities.
Earthen Heart
Corrosive Armor (Magma Armor morph): This morph now deals Poison Damage instead of Flame Damage.

Fried Sushi fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 25, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lmao wrobel actually did it. He made wood elf stam DKs actually good.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

That pretty much kills the whole flavor of the class for me. Guess I will get it to VR16 then shelve it, about 40% away.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Poison DKs seems like a pretty big thematic shift.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Lmao wrobel actually did it. He made wood elf stam DKs actually good.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
(Except for the part where WB and Flawless got nerfed)

On the other hand my new Dunmer MagDK just got broke'd.

Edit: Loving that they made Undaunted chests not suck. That's pretty swell. There was something else in this giant pile that was kinda decent but hell if I can remember everything I just read.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
(Except for the part where WB and Flawless got nerfed)

On the other hand my new Dunmer MagDK just got broke'd.

Edit: Loving that they made Undaunted chests not suck. That's pretty swell. There was something else in this giant pile that was kinda decent but hell if I can remember everything I just read.

Dunmer MagDK should still be the same I think, looks like just stamina morphs were changed to poison.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So is that patch live now? Cause the whole "your endgame level rewards now come from leveling up" thing sounds like it'll be good for me, if it's in place as I start playing.

Also if I'm a literal crazy person who wants to have a character with each faction, will that hurt me? It sounds like originally the best way to level up in the game was to redo the other factions storylines with your og character in veteran zones? Or something similar, but now since you get champion points just by leveling ( and they are accountwide ), if I am that type of crazy that'd prefer to just have three characters, it seems like I'd end up with three characters with a lot of champion points.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Poison DKs seems like a pretty big thematic shift.

It should have been frost breath, i don't remember if Skyrim had poison dragons.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Baron Porkface posted:

It should have been frost breath, i don't remember if Skyrim had poison dragons.

Hmm, maybe? It has been awhile since I played vanilla Skyrim. Poison/disease for stam morphs has a kind of sense to it though, as you're not using magicka spells but some kind of poisoned special attacks, also that will scale better with CP points because poison and disease is lumped in with physical damage, while magical, fire/frost/lightning etc., are in a different tree.

edit: Dragonknights just use kiai, which is like an Akaviri type of thu'um, so you could just fill in the blanks however you want because there's not a whole lot already established there to begin with.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 25, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

They made it poison because it's a stamina morph and currently Poison and Disease damage are boosted by the same Champion passives that boost Physical damage.

So basically, they're making the stupid decision to balance the game around Champion Points instead of balancing Champion Points around the game.

On the other hand, holy christ a chance for a Nirnhoned Maelstrom Inferno Staff.

Basically this patch can be summarized as "poo poo that should have been in either the base game at launch or poo poo that should have been implemented with TU."

E: lmao Bone Shield is now a stamina based shield. All hail Redguard/Imperial DK master race. Oh and Guard might actually be useful now. Definitely need to get our tanks to run PvP to get that buff.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 25, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So actually, reading these patch notes.

The attribute points you'd normally get from veteran ranks will now be granted during leveling for new players. But uh, what if you aren't a new player? If I start right now, I'll probably be 20s/30s by the time this patch comes out. Do those attribute points just go into the ether for me? Or will I just get a lump sum of free points when I log in on the 31st?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The attribute points you'd normally get from veteran ranks will now be granted during leveling for new players. But uh, what if you aren't a new player? If I start right now, I'll probably be 20s/30s by the time this patch comes out. Do those attribute points just go into the ether for me? Or will I just get a lump sum of free points when I log in on the 31st?

They should be retroactive.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Rookersh posted:

You'll get more points every five levels while leveling 1-49, and at level 50 you get all the remaining points (ten, I think) all at once. So you end up with the same amount of attributes and skill points as before.

The new costumes in the crown store are pretty cool, like the Toxic Doctor:

There's also a bunch of new roman inspired clothes.

And the new assassin personality is a toggleable idle set that changes how you stand and move and gives you a spare blade of woe to juggle and play stand around with, that's cool.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Personally I like poison builds and will probably try that. I ran one earlier with the available poison armor and it was great. Of course this means tons of bow DK's running around to min/max poisons. Probably bow/DW.

I have found a funky and very limited, but amusing dynamic. There is a morph of chains that returns Magicka if you cannot pull the target. Any target that has been pulled, or if you are right on top of them, is immune and of course all the naturally immune ones. The thing is the morph still does damage. Not a lot, but on a mostly health/regen build it does about 2k instant, animation cancelable damage. I have been wondering what it would be like with a full Magicka, Juliano's etc. build. This means it is a completely resource free spam attack. With my regen I gain Magicka while using it. So I can buff, taunt and then do very sustained damage while filling Magicka. Also gives permanent major expedition. Add a light attack weave to regain Stam with already high Stam regen and a bash for interrupts and break free. Stam stays level or fills depending on blocking and rolling. It's not great dps, but almost infinitely sustainable and supports other buffs and things like healing Embers or healing shards. I am using vamp drain in the mix for very fast Ult regen. Running Degeneration for spell buff and turns the light attack weave into a moderate heal. It's weird as hell, but works well. Slow, but I can solo dolmen's a few levels higher than the char. No good for any sort of burst, but great for sustain. I am currently running leap, but will switch to magma armor for groups. Also running bats in the back bar for the additional regen. Might be able to change that to horn once I have it and still sustain. Dunno yet. Takes a lot to take him down pvp even at v8 running divines instead of impen. Not built for pvp really. He has done well one on one by depleting opponents resources. He lives a long time 1vX, usually until multiple radiant and a vicious or two. I had a v16 stamplar wipe four people and then he had to use a boss to kill me. I lowered my hp a bit today though so haven't tried that yet.

E: do the vet changes mean that champ points are no longer shared across characters?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
As an Elder Scrolls super-fan, I tried this game. It is the worst MMO I have ever played.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sogol posted:

E: do the vet changes mean that champ points are no longer shared across characters?

Champ points are still by account, so once you have 160+ champ points any alt you get up to level 50 will automatically be able to use what used to be VR16 gear. You will still need to go through and get all the skyshards and stuff in all the different regions though, of course.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So what about the veteran costumes then? I want Golden Saint again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This is probably the only good thing to come from DB. A literal bowling ball armor set.

• Locked thread