Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
The Abyss Watchers' music is great. The music this time around is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A few general questions:

- When I kill some enemies they refill my Estus charges. Is that random or is there a way to tell which will do that?

- I got the Pontiff's Left Eye Ring which allegedly refills HP if I land a ton of consecutive attacks. I assumed laying into someone with Twin Daggers would do the trick but it seems like it's only possible by doing broad cleave moves into a large crowd of enemies... is that a fair assessment?

- I can use Sharp Gem now... if my build is currently 27 Vigor, 25 Dex, 12 Str and nothing else, is there a weapon I should be hunting down to slot it in? I'm surprised there's almost nothing in the game with A or S dex scaling.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

RBA Starblade posted:

He's just sleeping. And left his sword he used to hurt his good friend. And his armor.

:(

I got the impression he left them because his task was done and there was no more need for fighting

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wow, I had no idea that Darkmoons could help you in boss fights. I thought they would disappear when the invader dies, but nope, I had an unexpected ally for the Lothric Princes fight.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Oxxidation posted:

I was thinking about the giant snakemen, personally. Motherfuckers handle those greataxes like they're made of papier-mache.

to be fair they are giant snake men.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bardeh posted:

For Seigward, I talked to him in the kitchen and he talked about the giant down below, then went to sleep. Just after, I sent Greirat out to scavenge or whatever. I'd already bought the onion knight armor from Patches, and he'd already locked me in the tower, but I didn't talk to him again until later. Siegward never turned up at Yhorm, Greirat came back (and said an onion knight armor dude had helped him), and Patches dialogue never changed. I'm so confused about this questline.

You missed a step between the kitchen and Yhorm.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Gato posted:

To everyone saying sorcery is terrible: I've been using it for my first playthrough and it seems pretty useful so far? I've just reached the Cathedral of the Deep and I've been able to one- or two-shot most standard enemies with the relevant Soul Arrow, and soften up tougher ones so they die with a few hits of hanzo steel. Sure, I'd kill things just as well by running up and swording them, but I don't have to expose myself to danger this way. I haven't even started pumping INT yet. So is it just going to fall off in damage or efficiency or what?

Anyone who says sorcery sucks should have their dumb opinions discarded because they are full of poo poo. Tell me another build that can murder Nameless king at range safely. Main problems sorcery has is dragonslayer because of the shield and the last boss because he is absurdly resistant to sorcery. Dragonslayer can either be dealt with by going raw melee or summoning a npc so you can blast him at range while he is attacking the npc. Last boss you just switch to lost izalith staff and spam dark sorcery and he melts.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
The success rate needs finetuning but booze optical camo is proven to work. (Seriously though, how the hell did he miss me :drat:)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there some cool place to hide in the archdragon peak 2nd bonfire from invaders where you don't spawn an npc invader, the snake lady isn't active, and none of the snake men in the hallway beyond are patrolling yet? Because twice now I've invaded and slashed at every dragon statue and there's nobody loving here. I checked the bonfire and the two other rooms and none of the snake/lizard mobs are missing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Solomonic posted:

I got the impression he left them because his task was done and there was no more need for fighting

I choose to believe this too, for the record.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I also choose to believe things that aren't true

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
considering he gives you souls when he "dissapears" id say thats a pretty sure sign he dies.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
What's a good magic to get into to complete my Artorias cosplay?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chameleon so you can make yourself look like the garbage elemental you are

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm guessing you all already know this but this thread moves too fast to reasonably check if it's come up.

quote:

@TheDarkId https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo
Like, it's literally editing a single integer from 0 to 1 to make it back to how it worked in DS1.

Poise doesn't work because a single integer is turned off somewhere.

Anyways, can anyone fill me in a little on weapon levels and pvp/co-op? I'm at the Abyss Watchers and my weapon is level 3. I can upgrade it, but I'm afraid of moving myself out of multiplayer range.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
just upgrade them to max of whatever you can unless you plan twink and go back to earlier areas and bully them with superior estus ammounts.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

The entire point of dart is for pulling enemies without triggering their mates. Which would be much more useful if you could actually aim sorceries without the lock-on, but whatever.

So kinda like pyromancy except pyromancy kills the mob in one hit, seems weird but cool

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah I've been trying sorcery out and the people saying it's terrible until you hit 50 INT are expecting wayyyyyy too much if they think that is true. Obviously there's poo poo spells, darts are a complete waste of time, all the farron spells are quite wimpy, crystal hail is awful, pestilential mercury is completely pointless. It also takes a bizarrely long time just to get your basic soulmass, you're well over 2/3 of the way through the game by the time you find it which is quite incongruous with its low requirement. But your basic soul arrows/spears are better than in DS2 if not quite as good as in DeS/DS, buffs are fine, Soul Greatsword still rips rear end, and dark sorceries are excellent. If you want to get powerful sorceries up and running you definitely do have to skimp on health for the first third of the game, but that's the whole point of playing a wizard, you're trading your ability to go toe-to-toe with monsters for the ability to nuke them before they wake up. The only way in which it's seriously outclassed by pyro is that pyro's big direct damage spells are available much earlier.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You missed a step between the kitchen and Yhorm.

goddamn it

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I just had to come brag. After reading a bit of the thread and hearing how Dragonslayer was a major roadblock for many, I was a bit nervous going in. But then, I loving wrecked him on my first try, with estus to spare. What an adrenaline pumping moment, and I didn't expect the phase 2 stuff at all.

Too bad I'm completely locked out of mound bros because I didn't look up spoilers beforehand. I fought the tree early, and then pissed off sirris on accident with Rosarias covenant, and haven't been able to track her down since.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
"why would you go sorcerer when pyromancer is obviously better" - guy who has never done a melee build

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

So kinda like pyromancy except pyromancy kills the mob in one hit, seems weird but cool

I mean, the Dart sorceries aren't the only ranged sorcery attacks and the Arrow and Spear spells are a whole lot stronger, but you're not wrong that sorcery is significantly weaker than pyromancy for like 75% of the game.

skasion posted:

The only way in which it's seriously outclassed by pyro is that pyro's big direct damage spells are available much earlier.

Pyromancy's big spells also have lower requirements and better base damage. Well, talking specifically about Fire Orb and Great Chaos Fire Orb, at least.

Magic in DS3 does sorta suffer from the same thing that it does in previous Souls games in that your PvE spell selection is more limited than it looks like. There are a handful of spells that are both practical and powerful enough to be worth using in PvE, and a bunch that just seem gimmicky and awkward, or just too weak given how big and flashy they are. Some of those gimmicky or flashy spells really come into their own in PvP, though (like Soul Vortex back in DS2). That's sorta how it's always been, I think it's just more noticeable this time because of how weak it feels like your early options are.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus Christ. I know that people have claimed that this feels to be the most linear of the souls games, but HOLY poo poo I feel like I keep finding these little alcoves or nooks or pathways or secrets that lead to GIGANTIC NEW AREAS. Like, everywhere...

(just found the hole that crumbles in the lake...)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

"why would you go sorcerer when pyromancer is obviously better" - guy who has never done a melee build

I did a melee build, and then switched to pyromancer, lol?

"If you haven't beaten NK at SL1 with sorcery and pyro and melee and a bow, you can't really say which magic is better."

Feenix posted:

Jesus Christ. I know that people have claimed that this feels to be the most linear of the souls games, but HOLY poo poo I feel like I keep finding these little alcoves or nooks or pathways or secrets that lead to GIGANTIC NEW AREAS. Like, everywhere...

??? The fire lake?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Feenix posted:

yea but you can only do *counting on fingers* one.....two.....three. three areas before youre supposed to

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Yeah, the overall progression of the game is the linear part, but each area within that progression is very well-constructed and open.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the old thread title better, this one sucks

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I liked the old thread title better, this one sucks

New thread title spotted

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
my main sorcery spells were magic weapon, Hidden Body, Spook, Great Deep Soul, affinity and Great Soul Arrow until i got crystal soul spear which replaced it. Homing Crystal Soulmass and soul stream got some use too but pretty limited. Didnt try White Dragon Breath but it might be decent.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
actually was "my boss' name is also vordt" a reference to anything? IDGI.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
How many people know you can hold down on the dpad to get back to your hp estus immediately? I'm not sure if that's ever mentioned in the controls, maybe I just missed it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

f#a# posted:

actually was "my boss' name is also vordt" a reference to anything? IDGI.

shame on you

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Perfect Potato posted:

How many people know you can hold down on the dpad to get back to your hp estus immediately? I'm not sure if that's ever mentioned in the controls, maybe I just missed it

Specifically, it selects the item in your first equipment slot. For 99% of players that will be HP Estus, but if you want the ability to immediately switch to some other item, you can stick it in that slot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mortimer posted:

I did a melee build, and then switched to pyromancer, lol?

"If you haven't beaten NK at SL1 with sorcery and pyro and melee and a bow, you can't really say which magic is better."

??? The fire lake?

i just mean that if you consider any suboptimal build to be bad, youre disregarding every build in the game but one

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In archdragon peak you can get invaded and jump through the fog gate into the elevator to the bottom of the mountain so that you are 100% unable to be ganked and watch blue moons get summoned indefinitely for your amusement. If you kill a blue moon invader at the same time they kill you then you don't get a vertebrae shackle. These are some problems I've noticed just now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CJacobs posted:

With how finished the mechanic looks, I really doubt they just straight-up missed it. They would have had to intentionally completely disable it, and then just forget to re-enable it before shipping the game for multiple patches in a row now. That's way, way more unlikely than the alternative, which is that they just didn't want to use the mechanic as it's currently coded in the game.

Have you kept up on The Division because it turned out someone there didn't know how percentages worked and every % damage boost or damage reduction was backwards because of missing minus signs.

This poo poo is hilariously common in games my dude.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is from software going to be... poised to fix the game? (I'm not the first one to make that joke am I)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Have you kept up on The Division because it turned out someone there didn't know how percentages worked and every % damage boost or damage reduction was backwards because of missing minus signs.

This poo poo is hilariously common in games my dude.

I am reminded of how in Dead Space 3 a bug still exists to this day with a weapon part where it's supposed to add 15% more damage but someone misplaced a decimal point and it actually adds 150% damage so you can kill pretty much any enemy in one shot with a gun that's already semi-powerful.

But this is different, this is an entire system that is straight-up listed on your stats page and has several items that claim to affect it, and it's not like the stat does nothing as is. Poise does affect your hyper-armor and apparently also something about when you're coming out of a roll?? I don't know if the latter was ever confirmed or if it was just bullshitting.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 25, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

I am reminded of how in Dead Space 3 a bug still exists to this day with a weapon part where it's supposed to add 15% more damage but someone misplaced a decimal point and it actually adds 150% damage so you can kill pretty much any enemy in one shot with a gun that's already semi-powerful.

Do you remember which? I remember the game getting hilariously easy after a point but forget how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Shine posted:

Specifically, it selects the item in your first equipment slot. For 99% of players that will be HP Estus, but if you want the ability to immediately switch to some other item, you can stick it in that slot.

I really, really wish this was the case for the other d-pad directions.